When Constance Benson* was 25 years old, she was living her dream as a model with a major agency. One day, while receiving treatment for a pain crisis in the hospital, she realized she wasnt well enough to travel any longer so she gave up her modeling dream. As a sickle cell warrior, Constance had already left college because she was unable to keep up with school work as a result of her unpredictable pain crises.
She was uncertain of her future. She recalls feeling tormented by the response of medical professionals who doubted the severity of her condition with one nurse telling her she was too pretty to be sick. Constance considered it divine intervention when she learned that a blood stem cell or marrow transplant could cure her from sickle cell disease. Her parents are both nurses, but it wasnt until her mom was caring for a patient whose son had just had a transplant to cure his sickle cell disease that she learned this was even a treatment option.
To date, hundreds of people in the USA and around the world have been cured of sickle cell disease following blood stem cell or marrow transplants from compatible donors. Like Constance, too often people are unaware that transplant is even an option.
A new day has arisen for sickle cell disease treatment. For the first time, increasingly more medical and research efforts are directed at better understanding and treating sickle cell disease. Historically, progress in developing new treatments for sickle cell disease had been slow. This has been in part due to the complexity of sickle cell disease itself and underfunding compared to other potentially life-threatening genetic diseases.
Among children under the age of 16 battling sickle cell disease, about 95% were cured from sickle cell disease after a transplant from a matched sibling. A blood stem cell or marrow transplant from a matched sibling is now considered a pediatric standard of care by many doctors, and transplant from matched unrelated donors are becoming more common.
Too often people suffering from severe sickle cell disease are unaware of treatments that exist and may be available to them. For example, clinical trials that offer cutting-edge treatment options like blood stem cell or marrow transplantation may be an appropriate path for someone who is not responding well to prescribed therapies. Clinical trials are highly regulated and administered by medical experts. They are designed to assess the safety and effectiveness of new treatments. A benefit of clinical trials includes access to specialized care for your condition with built-in safety measures.
With a transplant, blood stem cells or marrow is extracted from a compatible donor and given to a sickle cell disease patient via IV. The donors healthy blood-forming stem cells, which create healthy red blood cells, replace a patients unhealthy stem cells that made sickled red blood cells. For the person with sickle cell disease, a successful transplant can mean no more sickled red blood cells with no more blocked blood vessels and no more damage from ruptured cells. Some people will even see existing damage improve with the introduction of healthy blood stem cells. Risks do exist for transplant, but doctors can inform a patient about the benefits and risks of such a procedure so that the patient and their family can make an informed decision about proceeding.
Transplant too often is dismissed as an option for people with sickle cell disease by themselves, or by their families, or even by their physicians because of concerns that the financial cost would be prohibitive. There are financial resources available to assist families considering transplant as an option, so it should not be ruled out as a treatment for a person battling advanced sickle cell disease.
As representatives from Be the Match and the Sickle Cell Transplant Advocacy and Research Alliance (STAR), we want to encourage people with sickle cell disease and their loved ones to be empowered to educate themselves about new treatment options, to ask questions of their primary care or hematology providers and to consider participating in clinical trials if other treatments are not working.
Constances younger sister was a perfect match for her. Today, Constance is living free from sickle cell disease after a successful marrow transplant seven years ago. She was able to return to college and obtained her bachelors degree, and she is committed to spreading awareness of the need for more diverse donors on the Be The Match Registry.
Nearly 1 out of 5 people with sickle cell disease will find a match within their family. Those without a match in their family turn to Be The Match, the national marrow donor program, to try to find an unrelated donor willing to help a complete stranger find their cure.
When searches are performed for Black patients, there is a 23% chance of finding a compatible donor on the Be The Match Registry. This is because race and ethnicity play a role in finding a matched blood stem cell or marrow donor. The makeup of each of our cells is as diverse as the places our grandparents and ancestors came from and people of African descent have more unique and complex genes than other races. Currently, only 4% of the 20 million donors on the worlds largest registry are Black or African American. Given all the diversity among persons of African descent, more donors are needed.
This underrepresentation can be improved by more Black donors joining the registry and it only takes a cheek swab to get started. Its important to note that not only people with sickle cell disease, but patients battling blood cancers like leukemia or serious blood disorders like aplastic anemia, also are searching for matches on the registry. There is an urgent need for more racially and ethnically diverse donors to join the registry. Visit http://www.endsicklecell.org to learn how.
A diagnosis of sickle cell disease can mean frequent emergencies, life threatening infections, irreversible organ damage, and even early death. Sickle cell disease frequently denies patients and families what any of us would want comfort, time, growth and financial stability. Sickle cell disease causes excruciating acute pain in children and, as patients age, the pain becomes chronic and debilitating for adults. STAR is comprised of hematologists and supporters of the sickle cell community who are dedicated to advancing research that will help lead to a cure for sickle cell disease. We have partnered with Be The Match to ensure that people with sickle cell have access to free resources, including information about clinical trials, access to certified nurses and patient navigators to learn more about transplant as an option, and a new Peer Connect program that will match existing patients with sickle cell transplant recipients. For more information, call the Be The Match Patient Support Center at (888) 999-6743 or visit http://www.bethematch.org/sicklecell. To learn more about research initiatives and success stories being supported by STAR, visit http://www.curesicklenow.org.
Currently, the only cure for sickle cell is a blood stem cell or bone marrow transplant, but new methods of gene therapy are now also being tested. With more than 100,000 persons with sickle cell disease in the U.S. today, the need for safe and effective treatment options and the need for more donors is high.
We hope that EBONY readers will take action to help address sickle cell disease in the Black community:
Disclosure: Constance Benson and her family have given consent to Be The Match to share her story.
In the USA, approximately 1 in 365 people of African descent will be born with sickle cell disease, an inherited blood disorder where red blood cells are abnormal. Healthy red blood cells are soft and oval-shaped as they travel throughout the body delivering oxygen to organs. Red blood cells that contain sickle hemoglobin can become stiff and crescent-shaped. Sickled cells block blood flow, causing excruciating pain, lung damage and potential strokes. They also rupture, releasing debris that causes damage to blood vessels.
Some people with sickle cell disease manage symptoms as they come. Other patients take a daily medication that decreases the likelihood of forming sickled red blood cells. Still others might receive chronic red blood cell transfusions to reduce the number of sickled cells in their bloodstream. Additional patients choose to participate in clinical trials to pursue new treatments that offer a chance at a cure. Visit http://www.Clinicaltrials.gov to learn about qualifying to participate in a trial.
- Government of Canada and JDRF Canada announce new research funding to accelerate stem cell-based therapies for type 1 diabetes - India Education Diary - November 29th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles and Demand Forecasts to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026 - The Market... - November 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Research Report: Industrial Chain, Sourcing Strategy and Downstream Buyers with Forecast 2026 - Cheshire Media - November 29th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 27th, 2020
- Europe Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User, and... - November 27th, 2020
- Scaffold Technology Market Research Report by Product, by Application, by End-User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - November 27th, 2020
- The Thorough Analysis Of The Global Stem Cell Media market Research During COVID-19 Health Crisis - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 27th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Report 2020-2025: Market Size is Projected to Reach USD 2.8 Billion by 2025 from USD 1.8 Billion in 2020 - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- North America Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Computational Stem Cell Biology job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 234737 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 27th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026... - November 27th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Global Cell Culture Media Market Effects, Aftermath and Forecast To 2025 - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Accretion: Current and Future Business Analysis in Cell Expansion Market - PharmiWeb.com - November 27th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During (2020-2026) Cheshire Media - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Demand with COVID-19 impact analysis on Cell Expansion Market - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Approval of Phase I/II Clinical Trial of ATG-016 (Eltanexor), a Second Generation Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE), in Mainland China for... - November 27th, 2020
- Researchers grow first plant-based gel to help organoid development for biomedical applications - Microbioz India - November 27th, 2020
- California's stem cell research agency looks to the future - Bond Buyer - November 25th, 2020
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ;... - November 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Get Expansion admist COVID 19, Scope With Advanced Technologies Top Key Players and Forecast 2020-2027 - The... - November 25th, 2020
- New study on CRISPR: the stake of unintended consequences in embryos - BioNews - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- New solution to kill coronavirus on common surfaces in seconds - University of California - November 25th, 2020
- Agricultural Equipment Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 12th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Move Away From Insipidness, Reach US$ 218.2 Mn - PRnews Leader - November 12th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Ride on Increased Prevalence of Rheumatoid Arthritis - TMR Research Blog - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Analysis 2020 By Industry Top Manufacturers, Business Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, Gross Margin, Regional... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Industry Analysis and Trends Forecast to 2026 Thermo Fisher, CellGenix, Lonza, STEMCELL Technologies, Corning - The Think... - November 12th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - The Daily Philadelphian - November 12th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Markets, 2020-2025 - Growing Adoption of High-Content Screening Techniques in Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance UK - November 12th, 2020
- GLOBAL STEM CELL MARKET FORECAST 2021-2028 - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Is Expected to Generate Revenue of US$ 11.3 billion by 2030, Globally - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to 2025: Business Development Strategies and Top Manufacturers Analysis : Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST... - November 12th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Size Analysis: Growth Factors, Share by Regional Production, Revenue and Regional Trends with Key... - November 12th, 2020
- Forma Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Galveston County Daily News - November 12th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - BCFocus - November 12th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- CODA Biotherapeutics Receives Grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) of the National Institutes of Health... - November 12th, 2020
- Brain Development and Disorder Research Receives $1.5 Million NSF Boost - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 7th, 2020
- Many Initiatives Still Too Close to Call in California - Courthouse News Service - November 7th, 2020
- Election 2020: Californias ballot initiative system isnt working. - Vox.com - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Outlooks 2020: Size, Cost Structures, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2027 - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market Research Report by Test Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance... - November 5th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Research and Analysis by Expert: import/export details, Cost Structures and statistics till 2027 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- MorphoSys to Present Data on Tafasitamab at the ASH Virtual Annual Meeting and Exposition - PharmiWeb.com - November 5th, 2020
- The Many Model Systems of COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 5th, 2020
- Soybean Trypsin Inhibitor Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 | Biological Industries, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sigma-Aldrich... - November 5th, 2020
- Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Madison.com - November 3rd, 2020
- A Review of Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson Disease - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 3rd, 2020
- 10 health and science-focused races to watch on election night - STAT - November 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020, Global Research Analysis Report Growth at CAGR Value, Industry Share, Key Company Profiles, Type, Applications,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Research Report 2020 By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles and Demand Forecasts to 2026 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Election Tracker: All The State Ballot Healthcare Initiatives - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Disorders Treatment Market: Advancements in Gene-therapy and Stem-cell Therapy to Bolster Market Growth - BioSpace - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Insights and Development Trends from 2020-2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 3rd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Shows Expected Trend to Guide from 2020-2026 with Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Survival Benefit of GVHD in MDS Is Limited to Specific Patient Subgroup - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Reviews Recent Portfolio Progress and Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Meat-Tech 3D Ltd. Announces Successful $7 Million Funding Round led by Psagot Provident Funds and other leading institutional investors - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020