DetailsCategory: AntibodiesPublished on Friday, 20 December 2019 13:14Hits: 540
- BLISS-LN achieves primary endpoint and all major secondary endpoints
- On-track for regulatory submission during the first half of 2020
LONDON, UK I December 18, 2019 I GSK today announced positive headline results for intravenous (IV) Benlysta (belimumab) in the largest controlled phase 3 study in active lupus nephritis (LN), an inflammation of the kidneys caused by systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) which can lead to end-stage kidney disease.
The Efficacy and Safety of Belimumab in Patients with Active Lupus Nephritis (BLISS-LN) study, involving 448 patients, met its primary endpoint demonstrating that a statistically significant greater number of patients achieved Primary Efficacy Renal Response (PERR) over two years when treated with belimumab plus standard therapy compared to placebo plus standard therapy in adults with active LN (43% vs 32%, odds ratio (95% CI) 1.55 (1.04, 2.32), p=0.0311).
Dr Hal Barron, Chief Scientific Officer and President R&D, GSK said: "Lupus nephritis is one of the most common and serious complications of SLE, occurring in up to 60% of adult patients. The results of the BLISS-LN study show that Benlysta could make a clinically meaningful improvement to the lives of these patients who currently have limited treatment options."
Dr Richard Furie,Chief of the Division of Rheumatology and Professor at the Feinstein Institutes atNorthwell Health and Lead Investigator of BLISS-LN said: "My journey with Benlysta began nearly twenty years ago when we performed the very first clinical research trial in lupus patients. To see it culminate in a successful phase 3 lupus nephritis study is a key achievement as the inadequate response of our patients with kidney disease to conventional treatment has long been an area in need of major improvement."
Belimumab also demonstrated statistical significance compared to placebo across all four major secondary endpoints: Complete Renal Response (CRR) after two years (the most stringent measure of renal response), Ordinal Renal Response (ORR) after two years, PERR after one year, and the time to death or renal-related event. In BLISS-LN, safety results for patients treated with belimumab were generally comparable to patients treated with placebo plus standard therapy. The safety results are consistent with the known profile of belimumab.
Benlysta is currently not recommended for use in severe active lupus nephritis anywhere in the world because it has not been previously evaluated in these patients. Based on these positive phase 3 data, GSK plans to progress regulatory submissions in the first half of 2020 to seek an update to the prescribing information.
The full results will be submitted for future presentation at upcoming scientific meetings and in peer-reviewed publications.
About lupus nephritisSystemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), the most common form of lupus, is a chronic, incurable, autoimmune disease associated with a range of symptoms that can fluctuate over time including painful or swollen joints, extreme fatigue, unexplained fever, skin rashes and organ damage. In lupus nephritis (LN), SLE causes kidney inflammation, which can lead to end-stage kidney disease. Despite improvements in both diagnosis and treatment over the last few decades, LN remains an indicator of poor prognosis.1,2 Manifestations of LN include proteinuria, elevations in serum creatinine, and the presence of urinary sediment.
About BLISS-LNBLISS-LN,which enrolled 448 adult patients, was a phase 3, 104-week, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled post-approval commitment study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of IV belimumab 10 mg/kg plus standard therapy (mycophenolate mofentil for induction and maintenance, or cyclophosphamide for induction followed by azathioprine for maintenance, plus steroids) compared to placebo plus standard therapy in adult patients with active lupus nephritis. Active lupus nephritis was confirmed by kidney biopsy during screening visit using the 2003 International Society of Nephrology/Renal Pathology Society (ISN/RPS) criteria, and clinically active kidney disease.
The primary endpoint PERR was defined as estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR) 60 mL/min/1.73m2 or no decrease in eGFR from pre-flare of > 20%; and urinary protein:creatinine ratio (uPCR) 0.7; and not a treatment failure. The most stringent secondary endpoint CRR was defined as eGFR is no more than 10% below the pre-flare value or within normal range; and uPCR < 0.5; and not a treatment failure. ORR was defined as complete, partial or no response.
About Benlysta (belimumab)Benlysta, a BLyS-specific inhibitor, is a human monoclonal antibody that binds to soluble BLyS. Benlysta does not bind B cells directly. By binding BLyS, Benlysta inhibits the survival of B cells, including autoreactive B cells, and reduces the differentiation of B cells into immunoglobulin-producing plasma cells.
The current US and EU indication for Benlysta are summarised below:
In the US, "Benlysta is indicated for the treatment of patients aged 5 years and older with active, autoantibody-positive, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) who are receiving standard therapy. Limitations of Use: The efficacy of Benlysta has not been evaluated in patients with severe active lupus nephritis or severe active central nervous system lupus. Benlysta has not been studied in combination with other biologics or intravenous cyclophosphamide. Use of Benlysta is not recommended in these situations."
Full US prescribing information including Medication Guide is available at: https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/content/dam/GlaxoSmithKline/US/en/Prescribing_Information/Benlysta/pdf/BENLYSTA-PI-MG.PDF
In the EU, "Benlysta is indicated as "add-on therapy in patients aged 5 years and older with active, autoantibody-positive systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) with a high degree of disease activity (e.g., positive anti-dsDNA and low complement) despite standard therapy."
The Precaution and Warnings for Benlysta includes information that "Benlysta has not been studied in the following adult and paediatric patient groups, and is not recommended: severe active central nervous system lupus; severe active lupus nephritis; HIV; a history of, or current, hepatitis B or C; hypogammaglobulinaenia (IgG < 400mg/dl) or IgA deficiency (IgA < 10 mg/dl); a history of major organ transplant or hematopoietic stem cell/marrow transplant or renal transplant."
The EU Summary of Product Characteristics for Benlysta is available on: http://www.ema.europa.eu
Benlysta is available as an intravenous and a subcutaneous formulation. The Benlysta subcutaneous formulation is not approved for use in children.
GSK's commitment to immunologyGSK is focused on the research and development of medicines for immune-mediated diseases, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, that are responsible for a significant health burden to patients and society. Our world-leading scientists are focusing research on the biology of the immune system with the aim to develop immunological-based medicines that have the potential to alter the course of inflammatory disease. As the only company with a biological treatment approved for adult and paediatric lupus, GSK is leading the way to help patients and their families manage this chronic, inflammatory autoimmune disease. Our aim is to develop transformational medicines that can alter the course of inflammatory disease to help people live their best day, every day.
- New stem cell identified by Sanford Burnham Prebys researchers offers hope to people with rare liver disease - Newswise - October 16th, 2021
- The Impact Of Market Restrictions On The US Stem Cell Biomaterials Market - Med Device Online - October 16th, 2021
- College Student and Retired Teacher to Thank Stem Cell Donors They've Never Met for Saving Their Lives During City of Hope's 45th Bone Marrow... - October 16th, 2021
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial Data of NurOwn in Progressive MS Will Be Presented at the 37th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in... - October 16th, 2021
- Cell therapy strategies for COVID-19: Current approaches and potential applications - Science Advances - August 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $40.3 billion by 2027 Exclusive Report by CoherentMarketInsights - PharmiWeb.com - August 18th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Superior Neurogenesis Induction in Animal Model of Viral Induced Cognitive Dysfunction Compared to other... - August 18th, 2021
- Atf3 and Rab7b genes drive regeneration in mature cells - Baylor College of Medicine News - August 18th, 2021
- U of T's Medicine by Design helps unite international researchers working to map every human cell - News@UofT - August 18th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Witnesses Upward Trend with High Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 22nd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Notice of Allowance for a New Patent Application Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program -... - April 4th, 2021
- Transplant After CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Durable Disease Control in Children, Young Adults With B-ALL - Cancer Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Changing Dynamics Of Competition With Forecast To 2030 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Reveals Enhanced Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 FLA News - FLA News - March 8th, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Size, Share, Global Industry Overview, Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2024 (Effect of the COVID-19... - February 17th, 2021
- Be The Match encourages people of color to join bone marrow registry - KING5.com - February 17th, 2021
- Discovery for turning on cell repair in tissues and organs - Monash University - February 17th, 2021
- Manageable Safety Profile Observed in Phase 1 Studies Examining UCART19 for Pediatric and Adult Patients with B-Cell ALL - Cancer Network - February 11th, 2021
- The Very First Signs of an Immune Response Have Been Filmed in a Developing Embryo - ScienceAlert - February 11th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Fludarabine is Safe and Effective for Patients with MRD+ AML/MDS - Cancer Network - February 9th, 2021
- Creative Bioarray Offers Stem Cell Lines Generation Service for Promoting Scientific Research - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Chemotherpy Demonstrates Efficacy and Safety in MRD+ AML/MDS - Targeted Oncology - February 9th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market Value to Reach Around USD 17.79 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Adult Stem Cells Market Revenue To Witness Humongous Elevation By 2026 Market Research Store Jumbo News - Jumbo News - February 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Score Past US$ 40.3 Billion Valuation by 2027: At a CAGR of 21.1% KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 2nd, 2021
- Reduced Adult Neurogenesis Linked with Alzheimers Disease - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine (Bone and Joint) Market to Score Past US$ 14990.0 Million Valuation by 2027: CMI KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 2nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Size to Witness A Lucrative Growth Over 2020-2027 | Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - February 2nd, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Demand, Growth Challenges, Industry Analysis And Forecasts To 2026 | Epistem Ltd.,Globalstem,Mesoblast Ltd.,Brainstorm Cell... - February 2nd, 2021
- ToolGen ties up with 3D bioprinting company to apply induced pluripotent stem cells to gene correction - Aju Business Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Medicine by Design researchers focus on promoting self-repair of the brain - News@UofT - January 31st, 2021
- Should You Buy Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc (BCLI) Stock on Tuesday? - InvestorsObserver - January 31st, 2021
- Eye stem cell transplant to treat blindness bolsters retinal function in monkeys - FierceBiotech - January 14th, 2021
- Induction of muscle-regenerative multipotent stem cells from human adipocytes by PDGF-AB and 5-azacytidine - Science Advances - January 14th, 2021
- RoosterBio Partners with Sartorius to Advance Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - GlobeNewswire - January 14th, 2021
- Reversing The Aging Clock With Epigenetic Reprogramming - Bio-IT World - January 14th, 2021
- New Models in Organoids Market Open New Vistas in Stem Cell Research for Cancer, Global Valuation to Reach US$ 12.8 Bn by 2030: TMR - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Health Canada Approves ONUREG (azacitidine tablets), First Maintenance Therapy for Patients in Remission from Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Canada NewsWire - January 12th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2026| Covid-19 Impact - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- The real reason behind goosebumps - Jill Lopez - January 3rd, 2021
- Synthetic lethality across normal tissues is strongly associated with cancer risk, onset, and tumor suppressor specificity - Science Advances - January 3rd, 2021
- New Approaches to the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - January 3rd, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapies Are Set to Expand Into More Hematologic Malignancy Indications - Targeted Oncology - December 26th, 2020
- ElevateBio's HighPassBio Presents on Novel T Cell Receptor Cell Therapy for Leukemia Relapse at 62nd Annual ASH Meeting - Business Wire - December 6th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- Multiple sclerosis iPS-derived oligodendroglia conserve their properties to functionally interact with axons and glia in vivo - Science Advances - December 6th, 2020
- UCART22 Safe and Active in CD22-Expressing B-Cell ALLs - Targeted Oncology - December 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Functionally distinct resident macrophage subsets differentially shape responses to infection in the bladder - Science Advances - November 25th, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization Other OTC:BRTX - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Jakafi and Dacogen May Improve Overall Survival in Patients with MPN - Curetoday.com - November 20th, 2020
- BRTX-100; the Story of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTX) - MicroCap Daily - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 16th, 2020
- Organoids mimic the early development of the heart in mouse embryos - BioNews - November 16th, 2020
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells do not express ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and are not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Cynata Therapeutics (ASX:CYP) begins phase three osteoarthritis trial - The Market Herald - November 16th, 2020
- $ 30.1 billion Worth Cell Expansion Market, Led by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT and Others. re:Jerusalem -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Advanced Wound Care Management Market : Implications on Business Strategies, Countermeasures, Economic Impact - The Think... - November 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Growing with Highest Size, Share of Top Key Players in the Industry and Forecast Survey Till 2024 - Zenit News - October 30th, 2020
- Somatic Mutations in UBA1 and Severe Adult-Onset Autoinflammatory Disease - DocWire News - October 30th, 2020
- JadiCell Stem Cells Licensed by Therapeutic Solutions International for Brain Injury Significantly Increased Survival of COVID-19 Patients in Double... - October 29th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Adult Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- APstem Therapeutics Announces Successful FDA INTERACT Meeting Regarding AP-Skin-01, an Off-the-Shelf Allogeneic Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of... - October 29th, 2020
- Why Small Businesses Matter in Wilton (Reimagined): Interventional Orthopedics Connecticut - HamletHub - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Future Development, Manufacturers, Trends, Share, Size And Forecast to 2027 |... - October 29th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market a comprehensive study by key players- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT, Merck KGaA and... - October 24th, 2020
- Genmab Announces IFM, HOVON and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results in Second Part of Phase 3 CASSIOPEIA Study of Daratumumab in Multiple Myeloma... - October 24th, 2020
- What Is the Role of Allogeneic-SCT in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in the Era of Targeted Therapies? - Targeted Oncology - October 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid-19 updated report), Trends, Top Manufacturers, Exponential Growth and Forecast 2020 to 2027 By Reportspedia -... - October 17th, 2020
- Was Trump's Regeneron 'Cure' Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissues? - Snopes.com - October 13th, 2020
- The complicated story of Trump's COVID treatment, stem cells and abortion politics - Baptist News Global - October 13th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- Human heart organoids provide unmatched insight into cardiac disease and dysfunction - BioWorld Online - October 13th, 2020
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America and Aruvant Sciences Forge New Partnership to Educate Around Gene Therapy - Herald-Mail Media - October 13th, 2020
- Q Stock; The Rise of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - October 8th, 2020
- A Uniquely Patient-Focused Take on Treating AML in Older Adults - Medscape - October 8th, 2020