In 2004, 60 Minutes aired a segment on what it called virus hunters, scientists searching for bugs that can leap from animals to humans and cause pandemics. What worries me the most is that we are going to miss the next emerging disease, said a scientist named Peter Daszak, describing his fear of a coronavirus that moves from one part of the planet to another, wiping out people as it moves along.
In the intervening years, Daszak became president of the EcoHealth Alliance, a nonprofit research organization focused on emerging pandemics. EcoHealth worked with Chinas Wuhan Institute of Virology to study coronaviruses in bats that could infect humans, and, as Science magazine put it, to develop tools that could help researchers create diagnostics, treatments and vaccines for human outbreaks. Since 2014, the EcoHealth Alliance has received a grant from the National Institutes of Health, until its funding was abruptly cut two weeks ago.
The reason, as 60 Minutes reported on Sunday evening, was a conspiracy theory spread by Representative Matt Gaetz, the Florida Republican who in March wore a gas mask on the House floor to mock concern about the new coronavirus. On April 14, Gaetz appeared on Tucker Carlsons Fox News show and claimed that the N.I.H. grant went to the Wuhan Institute, which Gaetz intimated might have been the source of the virus the institute may have birthed a monster, in his words.
The first of Gaetzs claims was flatly false, and the second unlikely; the C.I.A. has reportedly found no evidence of a link between the virus and the Wuhan lab. But at a White House briefing a few days later, a reporter from the right-wing website Newsmax told President Trump that under Barack Obama, the N.I.H. gave the Wuhan lab a $3.7 million grant. Why would the U.S. give a grant like that to China? she asked.
In fact, Trumps administration had recently renewed EcoHealths grant, but Trump didnt appear to know that. The Obama administration gave them a grant of $3.7 million? he asked. Then he said, We will end that grant very quickly.
And they did. But ending the grant dealt a blow to efforts to find treatments and a vaccine for the coronavirus. Remdesivir, the antiviral drug thats shown some promise in Covid-19 patients, was earlier tested against bat viruses EcoHealth discovered. Now the nonprofit is facing layoffs.
This political hit on Daszaks work is far from the only way that the Trump administrations contempt for science has undermined Americas coronavirus response. Conservative antipathy to science is nothing new; Republicans have long denied and denigrated the scientific consensus on issues from evolution to stem cell research to climate change. This hostility has several causes, including populist distrust of experts, religious rejection of information that undermines biblical literalism and efforts by giant corporations to evade regulation.
But its grown worse under Trump, with his authoritarian impulse to quash any facts, from inauguration crowd sizes to hurricane paths, that might reflect poorly on him.
Until recently, it seemed as if Trumps sabotage of efforts to combat climate change would be the most destructive legacy of his disregard for science. But the coronavirus has presented the country with an emergency that only sound science can solve. That means that the Trump administrations disdain for expertise, its elevation of slavish loyalty over technical competence, has become a more immediate threat.
Months before this pandemic began, Reuters reported, the Trump administration axed the job of an epidemiologist working for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in China to help detect emerging disease outbreaks. As the pandemic raged, the administration removed Rick Bright, one of Americas premier experts on vaccine development, from an agency overseeing efforts to develop a coronavirus vaccine. Last week Bright filed a whistle-blower complaint claiming hed suffered retaliation because he resisted funding potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections and by the administration itself. (A federal watchdog agency has called for him to be reinstated pending its investigation.)
Another whistle-blower complaint, filed by a former volunteer on the coronavirus team assembled by Trumps son-in-law, Jared Kushner, claims the effort has been beset by inexperience and incompetence. The Associated Press reported on how the White House buried guidance from the C.D.C. on how communities could safely reopen. Now the president is urging Americans to return to work even as the White House itself has proved unable to keep the coronavirus at bay.
According to Axios, Trump has even privately started expressing skepticism of the coronaviruss death toll, suggesting its lower than official statistics say. (Most experts believe the opposite.) A senior administration official said he expects the president to begin publicly questioning the death toll as it closes in on his predictions for the final death count and damages him politically, reported Axios. The Trump administrations approach to the coronavirus began with denialism, and thats likely how it will end.
Any progress America makes in fighting Covid-19 will be in spite of its federal government, not because of it. I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science not politics or cronyism has to lead the way, Dr. Bright said when he went public with his complaint in April. Trump wont let that happen. Hed rather essentially give up on combating it at all.
- Cell Therapy Market Business Outlook, Top Manufacturers, Development Trends, Growth Projection and Forecast Research 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market: Understand The Key Growth Drivers Developments And Innovations - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Global AUTOMATED CELL CULTURE Market 2020 | Industry Future Growth, Key Player Analysis and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute terminated by McMaster University - TheSpec.com - July 5th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - July 5th, 2020
- Legalization of abortion produced identity crisis for pro-life Irish Catholics - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - CueReport - June 30th, 2020
- Long-Term Culture of Human Pancreatic Slices Reveals the Regeneration of Insulin-producing Cells in Real Time : SF STAT! - South Florida Hospital News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Future Trends and Forecast to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Culture Media Market 2020: Challenges, Drivers, Analysis, Types, Applications and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2026 | COVID19 Impact Analysis NanoCellect... - June 30th, 2020
- Top Investment Opportunities in Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market after COVID-19 Outbreak: Strategies by Key Players: Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - June 30th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market in India-Manufacturing and Consumption, Outlook and Forecast 2020-2026 - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Hematology Instruments and Reagents Market to Witness Promising Growth Opportunities During 20202026 with Top Leading... - June 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market To Reach USD 8.75 Billion by 2027 | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - June 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 | Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2027: ANTRIA (CRO),... - June 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026: Analysed By Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, And Future Prospects - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- The biotech IPO boom is becoming 'historic' as four more throw their hats in - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Odessa American - June 29th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher is reportedly getting another stem-cell surgery; Journalist alleged it will be an experimental procedure - EconoTimes - June 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss Opportunities - Apsters... - June 29th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Market Size : Technological Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market 2020 Newest Industry Data, Future Trends and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Biotechnology Reagents Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Trending: Viral Inactivation Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| Danaher, Merck,... - June 29th, 2020
- Takeda takes a $200M hit after Novartis is forced to yank its marketing application for Xiidra - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Post COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Market and its Market Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out... - June 25th, 2020
- Astrocyte-to-Neuron Method Reverses Neurodegeneration in Mice - The Scientist - June 25th, 2020
- Survey: Impact Of Covid-19 On Media for Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Opportunities in Market and Expansion By 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- BIOBANKS MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS WITH FORECAST BY 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Coming Future - Bulletin Line - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report (2020-2025) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 25th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market (2019-2024) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Supporting Equipment Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development size COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Estimation, Industry Demand, Growth Trend, Chain Structure, Supply and Demand Forecast (2020-2027) - Morning Tick - June 25th, 2020
- Sussex eye surgeon's guide to glaucoma, the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the UK - Bognor Regis Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Beyond Federal Restrictions ... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Drugs Market Research with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Competitive Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Product Witness (es) Dampening Sales as ABC End-use Industry Suffers Massive Blow Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- In Bengaluru, a constellation if institutions - The Hindu - June 21st, 2020
- Bone Allograft and Xenograft Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Medical Thawing System Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Top Key Players | Helmer Scientific, Sarstedt, Sartorius, Biocision,... - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis On Trends & Need 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- 2025 Projeaction: Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Surface Markers Market is expected to grow from USD 561.02 Million in 2019 to USD 903.48 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market in COVID-19: Implications and Business Opportunities for Growth Globally - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 13,177.29 Million in 2019 to USD 28,822.19 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 6,356.88 Million in 2019 to USD 14,485.68 Million by the end of 2025 at... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Key Players, Opportunities, Challenges, Trend and Forecast by... - June 20th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Insights 2019 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed Report,... - June 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Record a Robust Growth Rate for the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Scientists Finally Know Where Thorns Come From - Daily Times - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Separation Technologies Market is expected to grow from USD 5,347.52 Million in 2019 to USD 12,724.42 Million by the end of 2025 at a... - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - Bulletin Line - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Analysis with Research Report 2020 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Recent Research Could Restore Vision by Converting Skin Cells into Photoreceptors - Health Writeups - June 20th, 2020
- Escalating Demand for Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Amid COVID-19 to Record Sharp Growth through Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Upcoming Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2020 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Culture Market is expected to grow from USD 16,371.34 Million in 2019 to USD 33,826.78 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Cell Proliferation Kit, Global and Japan Market Insights, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows Potential In Treating COVID-19 - Legal Examiner - June 18th, 2020
- 'Heart-in-a-dish' to study the effects of coronavirus - British Heart Foundation - June 18th, 2020
- NIH announces new Transformative Research Award program for ALS - National Institutes of Health - June 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market 2020: Expected Development, Share, Demand And Study Of Key Players- Research Predictions 2025 -... - June 18th, 2020
- Cambridge team probes COVID-19 impact on the heart - Business Weekly - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Assay Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Top Key Players Merck &... - June 18th, 2020