In a workshop held by the FDA in partnership with the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) on February 13, 2019 in Wardman Park, Washington D.C., researchers from various institutions discussed the current state of African American outcomes and treatment in multiple myeloma trials and the clinical implications.
Although theres still this disparity, the rate of change in the right direction seems to be similar [for Caucasian and African American populations], Kenneth C. Anderson, MD, FAACR, program director for the Jerome Lipper Multiple Myeloma Center and LeBow Institute for Myeloma Therapeutics at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, said of the findings.
In an analysis based on preliminary FDA findings that suggested there was limited enrollment of African Americans in multiple myeloma clinical trials, researchers looked to see if there were differences in outcomes due to race and if there are differences in screen failure rates that contribute to differences in enrollment. Additionally, they looked to address if eligibility criteria are restrictive for certain demographic subgroups.
The presenters, Laura Fernandes, PhD, and Bindu Kanapuru, MD, of the FDA, summarized that enrollment of black patients was significantly less in their pooled dataset compared to white patients. Additionally, there were no conclusive differences in the different racial categories in regard to overall response rate, progression-free survival, and overall survival.
Moreover, more black patients failed to meet the screening criteria than their white and Asian study counterparts. In regard to the screen failure analysis, Kanapuru said, In general, fewer black patients were screened compared to whites and Asians. Second, among those who were screened for enrollment onto the multiple myeloma clinical trials, there is a trend towards higher screen failure rates for blacks compared to white.
Notably, Kanapuru indicated that the FDA has several ongoing initiatives and also published several guidances in an effort to expand eligibility criteria.
Moreover, in an evaluation of characteristics and outcomes of patients with multiple myeloma from an EHR-derived database, Kathleen Maignan, MSN, NP, from Flatiron Health, suggested that researchers were able to assess outcomes in patient subgroups that are likely to have lower representation or even be excluded from trials. Unadjusted results from the database indicated that black patients have similar or better outcomes when compared to white patients. However, adjusting for age and sex minimized this difference, especially for overall survival.
While real world data does have more African American patients, the representation still is not the same, Maignan said.
The research also suggested that black patients have a higher comorbidity burden, which could minimize their consideration for future trials. So, when we look at future directions, given the higher comorbidity burden amongst black patients, we see a potential to conduct future work in this subgroup which may have an unmet need, Maignan said. We also look forward to opportunities to further investigate genomic differences by race as we expand our clinical genomics database and availability there.
Furthermore, covering the scope of the issues, Nikhil C. Munshi, MD, of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, indicated that race has significant influence on outcomes and overall survival, as well as age within the different racial groups. Physiological and microenvironment parameters may also play a role with racial differences on outcomes in myeloma according to the researcher. Additionally, traditional prognostic factors may still have variability across racial differences.
So, the critical question now is to study the biological basis for these differences using genomics and all of the different technologies that are directly available to us, Munshi said. Moreover, he recommended that researchers studying patients with multiple myeloma evaluate the impact of race on therapeutic intervention and their PK/PD, as well as disease sensitivity compared to disease resistance.
Looking at biological and genomic differences of multiple myeloma, Shaji K. Kumar, MD, from the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Kumar indicated that MGUS is 2-3 times more common in African Americans, which correlates with the fact that myeloma is 2-3 times more common as well. Additionally, he found that there was a trend to earlier age of onset MGUS in blacks compare to whites, with the disparity in prevalence between blacks and whites being most striking within the 40-49 age group (3.26% [95% CI, 2.04-5.18] vs 0.53% [95% CI, 0.20-1.37];P= 0.0013).
I think we want to think about this differently, said Kumar. We are talking about a group of patients who get diagnosed about 10 years younger, who have better biology because of the fundamental underlying genetic differences, despite having advancements at diagnosis they tend to do better, so really the actual setting should be the African Americans should be doing a lot better than what theyre doing now.
The researcher then indicated that important role for screening in the African American patient population, especially with research showing that earlier screening would be beneficial in multiple myeloma. By treating them earlier, he presents the idea that their outcomes could actually be even better than the Caucasian patients. Additionally, Kumar indicated that the access to therapy, specifically stem cell therapy, needs to be addressed.
In the final presentation, Ajay K. Nooka, MD, from the Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, discussed how to increase minority accrual in myeloma clinical trials through experiences and lessons learned within his own institution. At the system level, a lack of clinical trial infrastructure and insurance were the most prevalent barriers. At the individual level, a lack of trust, fear related to research participation, inadequate information about research, and access/convenience of participation all presented as barriers for clinical trial enrollment.
He listed some solutions that physicians within his institution brought attention to, including:
Following the presentation of the state of the science at the workshop, working groups presented recommendations for how to combat the addressed disparities in African American representation within multiple myeloma clinical trials.
FDA-AACR Workshop to Examine Under-representation of African Americans in Multiple Myeloma Clinical Trials. Held Feb. 13, 2020. Wardman Park, Washington D.C.
View original post here:
State of the Science for Multiple Myeloma: Change in the Right Direction - Cancer Network
- Unproven Stem Cell Therapy Gets OK for Testing in Coronavirus Patients - The New York Times - April 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Colon Cancer - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Evotec Expands its iPSC-Based Cell Therapy Platform EVOcells Through Licensing Agreement with panCELLa - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Fluidigm CyTOF Technology Used to Evaluate Stem Cell Therapy as a Potential Treatment for COVID-19 Pneumonia - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Citius Signs Exclusive Option with Novellus to License Novel Stem-Cell Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Associated with COVID-19... - April 3rd, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Fate inks $100M J&J pact for 'off-the-shelf' cancer cell therapies - BioPharma Dive - April 3rd, 2020
- ReNeuron assessing potential of emerging cell technology in the coronavirus fight - Proactive Investors UK - April 3rd, 2020
- Using Microparticles to Repair and Detox Cardiac Muscle - News-Medical.net - April 3rd, 2020
- Seneca Biopharma Announces Executive Appointments and Key Promotion - Herald-Mail Media - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists Make Breakthrough in the Production of 'Slaughter-Free Steak' Using Soy Protein as a Scaffold to Grow Tissue - vegconomist - the vegan... - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2019 Present Status and Future Opportunities by Major Companies Typs and Applications 2024 - Skyline Gazette - March 30th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market: Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2028 -... - March 30th, 2020
- Study reveals how skin cells prepare to heal wounds - Jill Lopez - March 29th, 2020
- One Upside of the Coronavirus Shutdown, Maybe? Fewer Voter Initiatives - Lost Coast Outpost - March 29th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Period Between 2019-2048 - Daily Science - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2048 - Daily Science - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 - Skyline... - March 28th, 2020
- Stem cells: Therapy, controversy, and research - March 27th, 2020
- Pros and Cons of Stem Cell Research - ThoughtCo - March 27th, 2020
- One upside of the coronavirus shutdown, maybe? Fewer voter initiatives - CALmatters - March 27th, 2020
- SENECA BIOPHARMA : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-K) - marketscreener.com - March 27th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Growth Prospects Medivet Biologics LLC, Animal Cell Therapies, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA - NJ MMA News - March 27th, 2020
- Global Autologous Stem Cell & Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles,... - March 26th, 2020
- Rewind the clock: Researchers reprogram old cells to youthful state - Daily Sabah - March 26th, 2020
- California ballot initiative campaigns are in the final weeks of their signature drives and face the effects of coronavirus - The Center Square - March 26th, 2020
- Dad told he has months left to live after stem cell transplant fails - Wales Online - March 26th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 11,923.12 Million in 2018 to USD 30,023.12 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - March 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecasts to 2027 - Packaging News 24 - March 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Stock Market Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Signature gathering halted for $5.5 billion stem cell initiative - Capitol Weekly - March 24th, 2020
- Cellphone tracking could help stem the spread of coronavirus. Is privacy the price? - Science Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Stem cells may give a respite to COVID-19 infected - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- Global Flow Cytometry Market to Register Impressive Growth, Demand Upheld by Cancer and Stem Cell Research, Says Fact.MR - Bio-IT World - March 24th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 24th, 2020
- AlloVir Expands Its Research Collaboration with Baylor College of Medicine to Discover and Develop Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Virus-Specific T-Cell... - March 24th, 2020
- eTheRNA Launches an International Consortium and Starts Development of Cross-strain Protective CoV-2 mRNA Vaccine for High Risk Populations - BioSpace - March 24th, 2020
- Triangle headliners: Roundup of events (most of them virtual) through March 31 - WRAL Tech Wire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Top Countries Data, Industry Size, Growth Factors, Defination, Global Analysis, Opportunities And Forecast To 2026 -... - March 24th, 2020
- ImStem Biotechnology Announces FDA has Lifted the Clinical Hold on the Investigational New Drug Application for IMS001 for the Treatment of Multiple... - March 22nd, 2020
- An unusual chance to see stress at work - Big Think - March 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Licensee ImStem Biotechnology Announces FDA has Lifted the Hold and Cleared the Investigational New Drug Application for IMS001 for... - March 22nd, 2020
- Trail & Tunnel Notes From the Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduc - River Journal Staff - March 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand with Global Forecast by Top Leading Players: Osiris Therapeutics, Medipost Co., Anterogen Co., Pharmicell Co.,... - March 21st, 2020
- Forty Seven, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - March 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market : Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats (2019-2025) - Packaging News 24 - March 21st, 2020
- Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Receive a Boost from Stem Cell Research Ventures; Demand for Novel Vaccines to Act as a Growth Lever, Says PMR -... - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatment research is delayed by Trumps ban on the use of fetal tissue - Vox.com - March 20th, 2020
- The American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians Recommends a Treatment Protocol for COVID-19 to the WHO - P&T Community - March 20th, 2020
- Scientists figure out why stress turns your hair gray - Big Think - March 20th, 2020
- The Asia Pacific cell line development market is expected to reach US$ 2,813.78 Mn in 2027 from US$ 987.48 Mn in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- UC San Diego executive David Brenner withdraws bid to become president of University of Central Florida - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 20th, 2020
- Inside the outbreak: Harnessing high tech - Science & Tech - WORLD News Group - March 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Industry Analysis And Detailed Profiles Of Top Industry Players - Jewish Life News - March 20th, 2020
- Ready To Use Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market size and forecast, 2019-2020 - Packaging News 24 - March 20th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Drivers Analysis by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - March 20th, 2020
- Government of Canada invests in regenerative medicine research to support Canadians health #46662 - New Kerala - March 20th, 2020
- New approach to speed up red blood cells generation in the lab - BusinessLine - March 12th, 2020
- Faculty members receive funding to advance stem cell research - UBC Faculty - UBC Faculty of Medicine - March 12th, 2020
- Flow cytometry market expected to reach $6.36 billion by 2027 - European Pharmaceutical Review - March 12th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Insights, Key Strategies, Innovative Trends and Forecast Research upto 2027 - News Times - March 12th, 2020
- Aging eyes and the immune system - Science Magazine - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and... - March 12th, 2020
- Back to the drawing board for triple-negative breast cancer targets, researchers propose new combo approach - Endpoints News - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking-Market Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2019-2025 - Times Plot - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Overview, Growth Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Size, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 - NJ MMA News - March 12th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces Internationally Renowned Experts to Newly Formed Strategic and Scientific Advisory Board - Yahoo Finance - March 12th, 2020
- Microscopy Devices Market: Rise in Technological Advancement Leading to Increased Consumption of Microscopy Devices - BioSpace - March 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy (Autologous, Allogeneic) Markets to 2027 - GlobeNewswire - March 10th, 2020
- Researcher Calls on Others Worldwide to Join Efforts to Understand Role of Sleep in Pediatric Cancer - Rutgers-Camden NewsNow - March 10th, 2020
- Second person ever to be cleared of HIV reveals identity - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- March 9, 2020 Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set To Cross USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Galus Australis - March 9th, 2020
- How wounded plants heal, survive - The Hindu - March 9th, 2020
- Israeli Women Are Ahead In Biotech, But Don't Have The Leadership Roles Just Yet | Health News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - March 9th, 2020
- Complete growth overview on Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market in 2020-2025 including top key players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Charter... - March 9th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces First Patient Apheresed in a Phase IA Study With Lead Product Candidate From Rapidly Switchable Universal CAR-T Platform (UniCAR) in... - March 9th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market 2020 Analysis Research and Trends Report for 2026 - Galus Australis - March 9th, 2020
- Federal government investing nearly $7 million in stem cell research - inthehammer.com - March 7th, 2020
- Shingles vaccine makes an impact around the world and right here in Rockford - Freeport Journal-Standard - March 7th, 2020
- Beating heart cells catch a ride to the International Space Station - Rockdale Newton Citizen - March 7th, 2020