Any tumour growing within (dermal), on (epidermal) or even under the skin (subdermal) should be considered a skin tumour. Some skin tumours are benign (i.e., slow-growing, completely curable with complete resection and dont spread) while others are malignant (faster growing, invasive, sometimes incurable, and may spread to other organs). In order to classify what type of tumour you are dealing with, you will need to make a fine needle aspirate or take a biopsy A biopsy can either be incisional or excisional. Whichever course is taken, a microscopic diagnosis must always, always be obtained.
No two tumours of the same kind look the same, but very different cancers can appear similar When tumours are inflamed or infected, the underlying pathology can be masked. This information is very important. If its a cytological or incisional, this information can help guide you as the best approach to cure not only the obvious lump but also manage the precancerous lesions that surround the obvious tumour. Not all skin tumours are best removed surgically! Only very small (1 2 cm on the body or neck, and <1 cm elsewhere) should be removed by excision.
Many clients and vets try to economise by removing small lumps instead of taking the extra step this can drastically alter prognosis, by spreading tumour cells.
Although theoretically any tumour can occur in the skin, we classically think of just a few types when we say skin cancer squamous cell carcinomas (SCC), melanomas, haemangiosarcomas (HSA) and mast cell tumours (MCT).
Actinic keratosis (AK), also known as solar keratosis or senile keratosis, is a very common lesion occurring in susceptible humans as a result of prolonged and repeated solar exposures. The action of ultraviolet radiant energy, principally UVB, results in damage to the keratinocytes and produces single or multiple, discrete, dry, rough, adherent scaly lesions. These premalignant lesions may, in time, progress to squamous cell carcinomas.
This is very important as a warning sign and should be the first thing you teach clients about. A couple of veterinary-specific manifestations of AK are the comedones or blackheads seen on cats noses (fig 1) and dogs ventra. These lesions can be managed with protection, (fig 2) imiquimod or Photodynamic Therapy (PDT). More on these modalities later.
Squamous Cell Carcinomas
Squamous Cell Carcinomas are the classical skin tumours, caused primarily by long-term to exposure to UV-B radiation. The animals most afflicted white or part-white cats and dogs. Bull Terriers, Staffies, Pit Bulls, Bulldogs and Jack Russells are amongst the dog breeds most often affected. These ex-British breeds enjoy our long, glorious South African summer sun, and tan day after day.
UV-B radiation damages DNA and this damage is cumulative and only partially repairable or reversible. Squamous cell carcinomas can look like nothing more than non-healing crusts, pimples or scabs, or they can form large, raised, ulcerating plaques.
It is important to treat according to the stage presented:
T0 = no tumour
T in situ = Pre-invasive carcinoma (scale, crust)
T1 = tumour <2cm diameter, superficial or exophytic
T2 = tumour 2 5 cm diameter, OR with minimal invasion irrespective of size
T3 = tumour > 5cm diameter, or with invasion of subcutis irrespective of size
T4 = invading fascial, muscle, bone or cartilage, regardless of size
Regional lymph nodes:
N0 = no involvement
N1 = lymphnodeinvolvement
M0 = no metastasis
M1 = evidence of metastasis
Ulceration of the primary tumour is associated with a biologically more aggressive lesion and a poorer prognosis. It is not known why ulcerated primaries have a more aggressive biologic nature. It is not likely due to underestimation of the thickness due to the ulcer crater. Ulcerated lesions tend to be thicker and have a nodular growth pattern, but the increased thickness does not account for the poorer prognosis. However, the depth or width of surface ulceration has been significantly correlated with survival. Other histologic prognosticators include the mitotic indices, whirling and the presence or absence of lymphatic or blood vessel invasion are relevant to prognosis.
Tumours in situ look like nothing more than scaly, scabby skin and offer another earlier warning sign, the best opportunity for cure, and are a wake up call. My preference for this is to use immunotherapy with imiquimod cream, or photodynamic therapy for T in situ and T1 tumours.
T2 tumours which are large but NON invasive (T2 large) also respond well to PDT or radiotherapy, but those that are T2 invasive require surgery or aggressive PDT (only to 5mm depth maximum). Once it gets to T2 invasive or T3+, cure rates using any technique drop to below 40% (from >85%) so teach your pet owners about skin cancer and early aggressive intervention from the first vaccination!
T3 and T1-4N/(any) M0/1 must be referred to a specialist for management. I see huge disasters when GPs approach these with surgery. Dogs are disfigured and then referred when they could have kept penises, mobility or faces with a proper approach from the beginning. An integrated approach using multiple modalities and an understanding of tissue tolerances, treatment sequencing and proper patient surveillance are beyond the scope of general practice. Managing such a patient is often possible, but is an 8 20 week process.
More extensive tumours may require additional surgery, chemotherapy or radiation to achieve good results. Their main importance is that they recur because skin of the ventral abdomen, ears or nose have been damaged. (fig 3) Cutting out squamous cell carcinomas can be like the little Dutch boy plugging the hole in the dyke with a finger another often just pops up elsewhere.
Recurrent SCC may require specialist attention to get under control or cure. In any event, thoracic radiographs should be performed. SCC of the feet (pedal SCC) is far more aggressive and spreads to the lungs earlier than other SCC of the skin, so always attend to any non-healing wound or lump of >1 weeks duration by having it checked using histopathology.
Figure 1. White cat with nasal SCC this is the earliest stage the presence of discharge and slight scaling around the nose and eyelids. If treated appropriately at this stage, the prognosis for cure is close to 100%
Figure 2. UV suit UV-resistant suits (obtained from Dr Georgina Crewe), protect the healthy or precancerous skin and are an essential part of post-treatment management
Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) (fig 4) is a technique using the application or injection of photosensitising agents in different concentrations. They accumulate in certain tumours and when subjected to high-fluence (200-300 W/cm2) light of a specific frequency, keyed to the particular molecule being used, the molecules aggregate into unstable complexes that then restabilise by release of various oxygen radicals which cause lipid membrane, protein and DNA damage. Over-treatment causes regional vasoconstriction and side effects, without increase in toxicity; undertreatment achieves little, but aggravates the inflammation. This treatment is effective only in lesions <5mm thick. Treatment is once a monthly, for 1 3 treatments, depending on severity and extent. Pre-cancerous actinic keratosis can also be successfully managed using this technique.
Immunotherapy using Imiquimod (Aldara; 3M), animidazoquinolinamine, is an immune system modulator and possesses both potent antiviral and antitumor activity in animal models and humans. Current theories suggest that imiquimod acts both directly by inducing apoptosis and by inducing secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Imiquimod activates macrophages and other cells via binding to cell surface receptors, such as Toll receptor 7, and thereby induces secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as interferon-a (IFN-a), tumour necrosis factor-a (TNF-a), and interleukin-12 (IL- 12). These cytokines bias towards a Th1-dominant immune response, which in general is associated with inflammation and tissue injury through activated inflammatory leukocytes and with cytolytic activity through CD8+-lymphocytes (Abbas et al 1996). Imiquimod can also induce apoptosis directly in a Bcl- 2-family-dependent manner by downregulating anti-apoptotic genes such as hurpin and HAX-1.
Treatment is applied to lesions Monday to Friday, once daily, for 6 12 weeks; inflammation caused by the treatment can occasionally be severe and require NSAIDs.
I reserve this for small/early/superficial lesions in cats due to the cost of the cream. Clients must wear gloves to protect themselves. Efficacy is reported as about 75%, with a median survival time of 1189 days, although recurrent lesions do seem to respond to the therapy.
5-Fluorouracil use in animals: this drug is rapidly and fatally neurotoxic in cats even as eye drops. In dogs, the tolerance is also very low and if licked it can trigger fatal mucosal sloughing. Dont use in veterinary practice.
CRYOTHERAPY is outdated, painful, disfiguring and has a lower success rate than other therapies mentioned. Do not use this. Poor technique is a major reason for treatment failure; it requires training and experience and is potentially hazardous to the operator.
RADIATION THERAPY: the use of a linear accelerator to deliver high-voltage (4 20 MeV) electrons or photons for the treatment of surface tumours is called teletherapy. This technique has the potential for extreme harm if improperly performed, and all such cases are specialist cases and must be referred to a person with the relevant training. Theres a reason its an entire field of speciality in itself in the US and Europe. It requires a knowledge of radiation physics, radiation biology and management of radiation side effects that cannot be gleaned from a few lectures.
The role of surgery in managing skin tumours.
Surgery is an important part of management of these conditions. For some tumours e.g. BCC, HA/HSA, MCT, a properly-performed excision can be curative. In others, e.g. SCC, the surrounding skin is often also on an anaplastic march that is unstoppable by surgery alone. Surgery then helps debulk larger masses that would not respond as well to wider-field but lower-intensity therapies e.g. imiquimod, PDT, RT. The timing and planning is critical. Discuss this with a specialist BEFORE radiation or PDT PLEASE! Post-surgical fibrosis decreases the efficacy of other modalities! (fig 5)
Figure 3. SCC ear pinna removal This is the degree of surgery required for more advanced SCC of the pinna, and is to be avoided if possible, by appropriate education of the client at first vaccination of the kitten. This sort of cat may be allowed out at night, but not during the daytime.
Figure 4. PDT Patient undergoing photodynamic therapy at Inanda Vets. Basal Cell Carcinomas
Basal cell tumours are a benign tumour that look very similar to SCC, and are quite common in cats in other parts of the world. In dogs, they typically occur around the head and are not unlike canine cutaneous histiocytoma (hence the need for a tissue diagnosis). They are usually single, raised, ulcerated button-like tumours. Surgery alone is normally curative. They can be diagnosed by cytology or histopathology. BCC and SCC are classed together as the Keratinocytic Skin Cancers.
Figure 5. Multiple raised SCC on the ventrum of a dog; the previous surgeries have contributed to scar tissue formation, which makes radiation less effective, and future surgeries more difficult. The widespread nature of the disease means a novel approach must be taken if control is to be achieved. Patients arriving at this stage are major challenges to cure.
BERGMAN, P. J. 2007. Anticancer vaccines. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract, 37, 1111-9; vi-ii.
BROCKLEY, L. K., COOPER, M. A. & BENNETT, P. F. 2013. Malignant melanoma in 63 dogs (2001-2011): the effect of carboplatin chemotherapy on survival. N Z Vet J, 61, 25-31.
DANK, G., RASSNICK, K. M., SOKOLOVSKY, Y., GARRETT, L. D., POST, G. S., KITCHELL, B. E., SELLON, R. K., KLEITER, M., NORTHRUP, N. & SEGEV, G. 2012. Use of adjuvant carboplatin for treatment of dogs with oral malignant melanoma following surgical excision. Vet Comp Oncol, 9999.
EMANUEL, E. J. & JOFFE, S. 2003. Ethics in Oncology. In: HOLLAND, M. & FREI, E. (eds.) Cancer Medicine 6. 6th ed.: Lippincott.
GILL, V. L., BERGMAN, P. J., BAER, K. E., CRAFT, D. & LEUNG, C. 2008. Use of imiquimod 5% cream (Aldara) in cats with multicentric squamous cell carcinoma in situ: 12 cases (2002-2005). Vet Comp Oncol, 6, 55-64.
GROSENBAUGH, D. A., LEARD, A. T., BERGMAN, P. J., KLEIN, M. K., MELEO, K., SUSANECK, S., HESS., P. R., JANKOWSKI, M. H., KURZMAN, I. & WOLCHOK, J. D. 2011. Safety and efficacy of a xenogeneic DNA vaccine encoding for human tyrosinase as adjunctive treatment for oral malignant melanoma in dogs following surgical excision of the primary tumor. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 72, 1631-1638.
KILLICK, D. R., STELL, A. J. & CATCHPOLE, B. 2015. Immunotherapy for canine canceris it time to go back to the future? J Small Anim Pract, 56, 229-41.
MARTIN, P. D. & ARGYLE, D. J. 2013. Advances in the management of skin cancer. Veterinary Dermatology, 24, 173-e38.
MCLEAN, J. L. & LOBETTI, R. G. 2015. Use of the melanoma vaccine in 38 dogs: The South African experience. J S Afr Vet Assoc, 86, 1246.
OTTNOD, J. M., SMEDLEY, R. C., WALSHAW, R., HAUPTMAN, J. G., KIUPEL, M. & OBRADOVICH, J. E. 2013. A retrospective analysis of the efficacy of Oncept vaccine for the adjunct treatment of canine oral malignant melanoma. Vet Comp Oncol, 11, 219-29.
PETERS-KENNEDY, J., SCOTT, D. W. & MILLER, W. H., JR. 2008. Apparent clinical resolution of pinnal actinic keratoses and squamous cell carcinoma in a cat using topical imiquimod 5% cream. J Feline Med Surg, 10, 593-9.
Photos: Courtesey Inanda Vet (Dr Anthony Zambeli)
Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Dogs and Cats - Vet360
- Agricultural Equipment Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 12th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Move Away From Insipidness, Reach US$ 218.2 Mn - PRnews Leader - November 12th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Ride on Increased Prevalence of Rheumatoid Arthritis - TMR Research Blog - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Analysis 2020 By Industry Top Manufacturers, Business Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, Gross Margin, Regional... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Industry Analysis and Trends Forecast to 2026 Thermo Fisher, CellGenix, Lonza, STEMCELL Technologies, Corning - The Think... - November 12th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - The Daily Philadelphian - November 12th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Markets, 2020-2025 - Growing Adoption of High-Content Screening Techniques in Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance UK - November 12th, 2020
- GLOBAL STEM CELL MARKET FORECAST 2021-2028 - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Is Expected to Generate Revenue of US$ 11.3 billion by 2030, Globally - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to 2025: Business Development Strategies and Top Manufacturers Analysis : Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST... - November 12th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Size Analysis: Growth Factors, Share by Regional Production, Revenue and Regional Trends with Key... - November 12th, 2020
- Forma Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Galveston County Daily News - November 12th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - BCFocus - November 12th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- CODA Biotherapeutics Receives Grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) of the National Institutes of Health... - November 12th, 2020
- Brain Development and Disorder Research Receives $1.5 Million NSF Boost - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 7th, 2020
- Many Initiatives Still Too Close to Call in California - Courthouse News Service - November 7th, 2020
- Election 2020: Californias ballot initiative system isnt working. - Vox.com - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Outlooks 2020: Size, Cost Structures, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2027 - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market Research Report by Test Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance... - November 5th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Research and Analysis by Expert: import/export details, Cost Structures and statistics till 2027 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- MorphoSys to Present Data on Tafasitamab at the ASH Virtual Annual Meeting and Exposition - PharmiWeb.com - November 5th, 2020
- The Many Model Systems of COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 5th, 2020
- Soybean Trypsin Inhibitor Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 | Biological Industries, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sigma-Aldrich... - November 5th, 2020
- Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Madison.com - November 3rd, 2020
- A Review of Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson Disease - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 3rd, 2020
- 10 health and science-focused races to watch on election night - STAT - November 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020, Global Research Analysis Report Growth at CAGR Value, Industry Share, Key Company Profiles, Type, Applications,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Research Report 2020 By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles and Demand Forecasts to 2026 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Election Tracker: All The State Ballot Healthcare Initiatives - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Disorders Treatment Market: Advancements in Gene-therapy and Stem-cell Therapy to Bolster Market Growth - BioSpace - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Insights and Development Trends from 2020-2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 3rd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Shows Expected Trend to Guide from 2020-2026 with Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Survival Benefit of GVHD in MDS Is Limited to Specific Patient Subgroup - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Reviews Recent Portfolio Progress and Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Meat-Tech 3D Ltd. Announces Successful $7 Million Funding Round led by Psagot Provident Funds and other leading institutional investors - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size 2020 Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview, Market Share, Revenue, and... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay 2020 GLOBAL OUTLOOK, RESEARCH, TRENDS AND FORECAST TO 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 3rd, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market report delivering growth analysis with key trends top companies and forecast 2027 - KYT24 - November 3rd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market 2020 By Business Opportunity, Innovations, Applications, Upcoming-Trends, Growth-Analysis, Demand-Insight, Segmentation,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Asia Pacific Cartilage Degeneration Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Procedure Type ; Application ; and End User and... - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: GE Healthcare, Promega Corporation, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- European Investment Bank provides Minoryx with up to 25 million to support development of breakthrough therapies in orphan neurodegenerative diseases... - November 3rd, 2020
- Contract Manufacturing Services Market for stem cells is expected to be worth over USD 2.5 billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis - KYT24 - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Demand, Share, Global Trend, Top Key Players Update, Business Statistics And Research Methodology By Forecast... - November 3rd, 2020
- November 2020: Intramural Papers of the Month - Environmental Factor Newsletter - November 3rd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market: High Demand for Stem Cell Therapies to Trigger Growth of the Market - BioSpace - November 1st, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2020-2026 - PRnews Leader - November 1st, 2020
- Checking Science On The Ballot - Science Friday - November 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Aerospace Journal - November 1st, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market 2020 with Growth, Share, Demand, Global Production with Revenue Share, and Applications Forecast to 2024 - PRnews Leader - November 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Regen Biopharma... - October 31st, 2020
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Application, and... - October 31st, 2020
- QurAlis Announces Appointment of New Chief Medical Officer and Formation of Clinical Advisory Board - Business Wire - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size 2020, Share, Global Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status - PRnews Leader - October 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - October 30th, 2020
- Outlook on the Regenerative Medicine Global Market to 2025 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market - GlobeNewswire - October 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Neural Stem Cells Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Cellular Dynamics International,... - October 30th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Leading Players, Industry Updates, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 30th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 with Growth, Share, Demand, Global Production with Revenue Share, and Applications Forecast to 2024 - Aerospace... - October 30th, 2020
- Novartis expands Kymriah manufacturing footprint with first-ever approved site for commercial CAR-T cell therapy manufacturing in Asia - GlobeNewswire - October 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis highlights the Impact of covid-19 (2020-2028) | Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies, Merck Millipore, Lonza, GE... - October 30th, 2020
- New screening tool could turn up genes tied to developmental disorders - STAT - October 30th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market Poised to Garner Maximum Revenues During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 30th, 2020
- High Response Rates Heighten Excitement With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - October 30th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 30th, 2020