This article was originally published on Nov. 8 on giving.jhu.edu
Between 2001 and the beginning of 2018, more than 1,500 U.S. military service members lost limbs in the line of duty. Although technology has improved the prosthetic devices these people can use, a stubborn obstacle remains: the fragility of human skin.
"Skin was never meant to hold this kind of pressure," says Lee Childers, the senior scientist for the Extremity Trauma and Amputation Center of Excellence at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.
"Think about it like a blister on your foot. It's painful, but you can still get by," he continues. "In an amputation, it's a blister on your residual limb. You can't use your prosthesis until the blister is completely healed. If it's your leg [that is affected], you can't walk for two or three weeks. Think about how that would impact your life."
What if there were a way to make the skin at an amputation site tougher, like the palm of your hand or the sole of your foot? Luis Garza, an associate professor of dermatology at Johns Hopkins and leader of the Veteran Amputee Skin Regeneration Program, is developing a cell therapy that could enable prosthetics wearers to use their devices longer.
"This is an example of personalized medicine," Garza says. "We're taking each person's own cells, growing them up, and inserting them back in."
Garza's postdoctoral research focused on skin stem cells. In 2009, he and his department chair, Sewon Kang, began having conversations about how that work could help the increasing numbers of veterans coming back from war with amputations. Garza and his team received grants from the U.S. Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health, and Maryland Stem Cell Fund that have moved the program forward in the past decade.
Garza's team spent the summer of 2019 testing "normal" subjectsthose without amputationsto perfect the procedure, including the dose, content, method, and frequency of the injections. During one appointment, members of Garza's team took biopsies of skin from a subject's scalp and sole. The cells went to a lab where they were grown under an FDA-approved protocol and passed through quality control tests.
In a second appointment, subjects completed a questionnaire and underwent baseline measurements of their skin's thickness and strength. Garza's team then injected a site on the subjects' skin with the stem cells grown from their cells in the lab.
Image caption: Luis Garza, associate professor of dermatology at Johns Hopkins, leads the Veteran Amputee Skin Regeneration Program.
"We're hoping that these stem cell populations will engraft in the new skin," Garza says.
The subjects returned to Hopkins several months later to go through the questionnaire and measurements once more, and Garza's team documented changes.
Confident in the results they gleaned from the normal subjects, Garza's team enrolled its first subject with an amputation in August. Moving from the normal population to the amputation-affected population quickly unearthed some aspects of the therapy Garza didn't anticipate.
"When we talked with him, he said 'I don't want to mess with my one remaining footdo you have to take skin from there?' And we said, 'Actually, no, we could do your palm,'" Garza says.
His team then tested the biopsy and growth of palm cells from subjects in the normal population. "We're moving away from having our product informed purely by biology to letting our therapy development be shaped by the user."
Although federal grants have supported much of the program's progress, private philanthropy has played a role, too. Corporations like Northrop Grumman, foundations like the Alliance for Veteran Support, and grateful patients with and without ties to the armed forces have contributed nearly $300,000. Those gifts have enabled the program to persevere through gaps between federal grants.
A man sits at a desk, speaking with another man who sits beside him. A large microscope sits on the desk, and a brightly colored image of a skin biopsy appears on a computer screen.
Private funds will be increasingly important as the project enters its next phase: extension to military medical centers around the country. Garza's team must prove that the safeguards to protect cells on their round-trip voyage from a test site to Hopkins are effective. They also must secure approval by local institutional review boards for clinical studies.
"Soldiers are used to getting orders, but you can't order someone to be part of a [medical] study," Garza says. "There are hard medical ethics questions around how to make this open to them but ensure they don't feel obligated. We've been working on that for a year, and we probably have another six months or so to go."
Childers stands ready for whenever the program's extension is a go. He will lead the study at Brooke Army Medical Center and feels motivated by the prospect of helping many of the veterans he works with every day.
"We do everything we can to serve those who serve us. This can enable people to return to duty and be redeployed if they choose," he says. "This is game-changing technology that will have an impact for our service members, but also others who live with amputation."
That population includes the hundreds of thousands of Americans who've undergone amputations for complications of diabetes, who must use a wheelchair, or who wear ankle or foot orthoses for help with walking, among others.
"Having the ability to transform skin anywhere you want to target on the body will have gigantic implications across the entire spectrum of our society in many ways," Childers says.
There's a lot of work to be done before such benefits reach the public, Garza cautions. With continued support from donors and the military community, though, he's optimistic about the program's future.
"The challenges are pretty big, but I think within five years, it could happen," he says. "That's the hope."
Disclaimer: The view(s) expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Brooke Army Medical Center, the U.S. Army Medical Department, the U.S. Army Office of the Surgeon General, the Department of the Army, the Department of the Air Force and Department of Defense or the U.S. Government.
Read the rest here:
Serving those who serve us - The Hub at Johns Hopkins
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Pregnancy Help News - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Assay Market Set Explosive Growth By 2019 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare,... - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market to Reach a Value of Approximately US$ 450.5 Mn by the End of 2026 - Science Examiner - August 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on 2021-2026 Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Segmentation, Analysis by Recent Trends, Development & Growth by Regions - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Transplantatio Therapy Market Global Research and Analysis 2020 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- National STEM Scholars Announced for 2020 - PR Web - August 6th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Catholic News Agency - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market by Production Analysis, Current Trends 2024 Analysis of Regions with Top vendors, Market Dynamics, Types, Applications,... - August 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020
- Gene variants and susceptibility to schizophrenia - The Hindu - August 1st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 Bulletin Line -... - August 1st, 2020
- FDA Approves Monjuvi(R) (tafasitamab-cxix) in Combination with Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adu - PharmiWeb.com - August 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Trends and Value Chain 2019-2025 - Owned - August 1st, 2020
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2025 - Galus Australis - August 1st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, In... - August 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cytokine Market 2020 Top Countries Data Industry Size, Share, Business Growth, Revenue, Trends, Market Demand Penetration and Forecast to By... - August 1st, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? A Summary Of The 12 State Propositions For November 2020 Election - KHTS Radio - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Strategies, Comparison, Shares, Demand, Supply, Challenges and Forecast to 2026 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market Trends, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis up to 2021 focuses on major key players PCT Cell Therapy Services, LLC... - July 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027... - July 31st, 2020
- Limited Reporting of Adverse Events Tied to Regenerative Treatments Leaves Consumers Vulnerable - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 31st, 2020
- How airway cells work together in regeneration and aging - Newswise - July 31st, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - July 31st, 2020
- New Trends of Stem Cell Banking Market with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2025 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Scientists to speed creation of pig vaccines - FarmingUK - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market Research Report by Product, by End User, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - July 30th, 2020
- Research report covers the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Forecasts and Growth, 2019-2025 - Market Research... - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: COVID-19 impact on 3D Cell Cultures Market Variables, Information, Emerging Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026 | Sigma, Lonza, 3D... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Storage Market Insights and Upcoming Trends to Forecast till 2025| CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026| BD Bioscience, Beckman Coulter, Ge... - July 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Drugs Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Analysis and Growth Opportunities to 2026 -... - July 30th, 2020
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Announces Winners of the "Ken Griffin Alpha-synuclein Imaging Competition" to Develop Game-Changing Tool for... - July 30th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2027 | Merck KGA, LONZA Group AG, Novartis, etc. -... - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Separation by Membrane Filtration Technology Market: In-depth Analysis of the Global Industry with Future Estimations till 2029 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Outlook | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020 2027 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Mesoblast sees lasting need for COVID treatment beyond a vaccine - Sydney Morning Herald - July 30th, 2020
- UAE leads Covid-19 research in the Middle East - The National - July 30th, 2020
- Demand for Cryopreservation Equipment Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis and Growth Forecast by Type and Application from 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - July 30th, 2020
- Literature Review of Surgical Treatment in Idiopathic Full-Thickness M | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - July 29th, 2020
- Peripheral Nerve Repair Devices Market Research Report by Device, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast 2019 | By Top Players Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., Kolon TissueGene, Inc.,... - July 29th, 2020