Electron micrograph showing ridges and grooves on MAP hydrogel microbeads caused by developing stem cells.
Courtsey of Daniel Alge
Baby diapers, contact lenses and gelatin dessert. While seemingly unrelated, these items have one thing in common theyre made of highly absorbent substances called hydrogels that have versatile applications. Recently, a type of biodegradable hydrogel, dubbed microporous annealed particle (MAP) hydrogel, has gained much attention for its potential to deliver stem cells for body tissue repair. But it is currently unclear how these jelly-like materials affect the growth of their precious cellular cargo, thereby limiting its use in regenerative medicine.
In a new study published in the November issue of Acta Biomaterialia, researchers at Texas A&M University have shown that MAP hydrogels, programmed to biodegrade at an optimum pace, create a fertile environment for bone stem cells to thrive and proliferate vigorously. They found the space created by the withering of MAP hydrogels creates room for the stem cells to grow, spread and form intricate cellular networks.
Our research now shows that stem cells flourish on degrading MAP hydrogels; they also remodel their local environment to better suit their needs, said Daniel Alge, assistant professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. These results have important implications for developing MAP hydrogel-based delivery systems, particularly for regenerative medicine where we want to deliver cells that will replace damaged tissues with new and healthy ones.
MAP hydrogels are a newer breed of injectable hydrogels. These soft materials are interconnected chains of extremely small beads made of polyethylene glycol, a synthetic polymer. Although the microbeads cannot themselves cling to cells, they can be engineered to present cell-binding proteins that can then attach to receptor molecules on the stem cells surface.
Once fastened onto the microbeads, the stem cells use the space between the spheres to grow and transform into specialized cells, like bone or skin cells. And so, when there is an injury, MAP hydrogels can be used to deliver these new cells to help tissues regenerate.
However, the health and behavior of stem cells within the MAP hydrogel environment has never been fully studied.
MAP hydrogels have superior mechanical and biocompatible properties, so in principle, they are a great platform to grow and maintain stem cells, Alge said. But people in the field really dont have a good understanding of how stem cells behave in these materials.
To address this question, the researchers studied the growth, spread and function of bone stem cells in MAP hydrogels. Alge and his team used three samples of MAP hydrogels that differed only in the speed at which they degraded, that is, either slow, fast or not at all.
First, for the stem cells to attach onto the MAP hydrogels, the researchers decorated the MAP hydrogels with a type of cell-binding protein. They then tracked the stem cells as they grew using a high-resolution, fluorescent microscope. The researchers also repeated the same experiment using another cell-binding protein to investigate if cell-binding proteins also affected stem cell development within the hydrogels.
To their surprise, Alges team found that for both types of cell-binding proteins, the MAP hydrogels that degraded the fastest had the largest population of stem cells. Furthermore, the cells were changing the shape of the MAP hydrogel as they spread and claimed more territory.
In the intact MAP hydrogel, we could still see the spherical microbeads and the material was quite undamaged, Alge said. By contrast, the cells were making ridges and grooves in the degrading MAP hydrogels, dynamically remodeling their environment.
The researchers also found that as the stem cells grew, the quantity of bone proteins produced by the growing stem cells depended on which cell-binding protein was initially used in the MAP hydrogel.
Alge noted that the insight gained through their study will greatly inform further research and development in MAP hydrogels for stem-cell therapies.
Although MAP hydrogel degradability profoundly affects the growth of the stem cells, we found that the interplay between the cell-binding proteins and the degradation is also important, he said. As we, as a field, make strides toward developing new MAP hydrogels for tissue engineering, we must look at the effects of both degradability and cell-binding proteins to best utilize these materials for regenerative medicine.
Other contributors to the research include Shangjing Xin from the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Texas A&M and Carl A. Gregory from the Institute for Regenerative Medicine at the Texas A&M Health Science Center.
This research was supported by funds from theNational Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseasesof the National Institutes of Health.
- Unproven Stem Cell Therapy Gets OK for Testing in Coronavirus Patients - The New York Times - April 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Colon Cancer - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Evotec Expands its iPSC-Based Cell Therapy Platform EVOcells Through Licensing Agreement with panCELLa - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Fluidigm CyTOF Technology Used to Evaluate Stem Cell Therapy as a Potential Treatment for COVID-19 Pneumonia - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Citius Signs Exclusive Option with Novellus to License Novel Stem-Cell Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Associated with COVID-19... - April 3rd, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Fate inks $100M J&J pact for 'off-the-shelf' cancer cell therapies - BioPharma Dive - April 3rd, 2020
- ReNeuron assessing potential of emerging cell technology in the coronavirus fight - Proactive Investors UK - April 3rd, 2020
- Using Microparticles to Repair and Detox Cardiac Muscle - News-Medical.net - April 3rd, 2020
- Seneca Biopharma Announces Executive Appointments and Key Promotion - Herald-Mail Media - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists Make Breakthrough in the Production of 'Slaughter-Free Steak' Using Soy Protein as a Scaffold to Grow Tissue - vegconomist - the vegan... - April 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2019 Present Status and Future Opportunities by Major Companies Typs and Applications 2024 - Skyline Gazette - March 30th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market: Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2028 -... - March 30th, 2020
- Study reveals how skin cells prepare to heal wounds - Jill Lopez - March 29th, 2020
- One Upside of the Coronavirus Shutdown, Maybe? Fewer Voter Initiatives - Lost Coast Outpost - March 29th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Period Between 2019-2048 - Daily Science - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2048 - Daily Science - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 - Skyline... - March 28th, 2020
- Stem cells: Therapy, controversy, and research - March 27th, 2020
- Pros and Cons of Stem Cell Research - ThoughtCo - March 27th, 2020
- One upside of the coronavirus shutdown, maybe? Fewer voter initiatives - CALmatters - March 27th, 2020
- SENECA BIOPHARMA : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-K) - marketscreener.com - March 27th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Growth Prospects Medivet Biologics LLC, Animal Cell Therapies, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA - NJ MMA News - March 27th, 2020
- Global Autologous Stem Cell & Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles,... - March 26th, 2020
- Rewind the clock: Researchers reprogram old cells to youthful state - Daily Sabah - March 26th, 2020
- California ballot initiative campaigns are in the final weeks of their signature drives and face the effects of coronavirus - The Center Square - March 26th, 2020
- Dad told he has months left to live after stem cell transplant fails - Wales Online - March 26th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 11,923.12 Million in 2018 to USD 30,023.12 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - March 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecasts to 2027 - Packaging News 24 - March 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Stock Market Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Signature gathering halted for $5.5 billion stem cell initiative - Capitol Weekly - March 24th, 2020
- Cellphone tracking could help stem the spread of coronavirus. Is privacy the price? - Science Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Stem cells may give a respite to COVID-19 infected - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- Global Flow Cytometry Market to Register Impressive Growth, Demand Upheld by Cancer and Stem Cell Research, Says Fact.MR - Bio-IT World - March 24th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 24th, 2020
- AlloVir Expands Its Research Collaboration with Baylor College of Medicine to Discover and Develop Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Virus-Specific T-Cell... - March 24th, 2020
- eTheRNA Launches an International Consortium and Starts Development of Cross-strain Protective CoV-2 mRNA Vaccine for High Risk Populations - BioSpace - March 24th, 2020
- Triangle headliners: Roundup of events (most of them virtual) through March 31 - WRAL Tech Wire - March 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Top Countries Data, Industry Size, Growth Factors, Defination, Global Analysis, Opportunities And Forecast To 2026 -... - March 24th, 2020
- ImStem Biotechnology Announces FDA has Lifted the Clinical Hold on the Investigational New Drug Application for IMS001 for the Treatment of Multiple... - March 22nd, 2020
- An unusual chance to see stress at work - Big Think - March 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Licensee ImStem Biotechnology Announces FDA has Lifted the Hold and Cleared the Investigational New Drug Application for IMS001 for... - March 22nd, 2020
- Trail & Tunnel Notes From the Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduc - River Journal Staff - March 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand with Global Forecast by Top Leading Players: Osiris Therapeutics, Medipost Co., Anterogen Co., Pharmicell Co.,... - March 21st, 2020
- Forty Seven, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - March 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market : Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats (2019-2025) - Packaging News 24 - March 21st, 2020
- Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Receive a Boost from Stem Cell Research Ventures; Demand for Novel Vaccines to Act as a Growth Lever, Says PMR -... - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus treatment research is delayed by Trumps ban on the use of fetal tissue - Vox.com - March 20th, 2020
- The American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians Recommends a Treatment Protocol for COVID-19 to the WHO - P&T Community - March 20th, 2020
- Scientists figure out why stress turns your hair gray - Big Think - March 20th, 2020
- The Asia Pacific cell line development market is expected to reach US$ 2,813.78 Mn in 2027 from US$ 987.48 Mn in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- UC San Diego executive David Brenner withdraws bid to become president of University of Central Florida - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 20th, 2020
- Inside the outbreak: Harnessing high tech - Science & Tech - WORLD News Group - March 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Industry Analysis And Detailed Profiles Of Top Industry Players - Jewish Life News - March 20th, 2020
- Ready To Use Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market size and forecast, 2019-2020 - Packaging News 24 - March 20th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Drivers Analysis by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - March 20th, 2020
- Government of Canada invests in regenerative medicine research to support Canadians health #46662 - New Kerala - March 20th, 2020
- New approach to speed up red blood cells generation in the lab - BusinessLine - March 12th, 2020
- Faculty members receive funding to advance stem cell research - UBC Faculty - UBC Faculty of Medicine - March 12th, 2020
- Flow cytometry market expected to reach $6.36 billion by 2027 - European Pharmaceutical Review - March 12th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Insights, Key Strategies, Innovative Trends and Forecast Research upto 2027 - News Times - March 12th, 2020
- Aging eyes and the immune system - Science Magazine - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and... - March 12th, 2020
- Back to the drawing board for triple-negative breast cancer targets, researchers propose new combo approach - Endpoints News - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking-Market Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2019-2025 - Times Plot - March 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Overview, Growth Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Size, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 - NJ MMA News - March 12th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces Internationally Renowned Experts to Newly Formed Strategic and Scientific Advisory Board - Yahoo Finance - March 12th, 2020
- Microscopy Devices Market: Rise in Technological Advancement Leading to Increased Consumption of Microscopy Devices - BioSpace - March 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy (Autologous, Allogeneic) Markets to 2027 - GlobeNewswire - March 10th, 2020
- Researcher Calls on Others Worldwide to Join Efforts to Understand Role of Sleep in Pediatric Cancer - Rutgers-Camden NewsNow - March 10th, 2020
- Second person ever to be cleared of HIV reveals identity - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- March 9, 2020 Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set To Cross USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Galus Australis - March 9th, 2020
- How wounded plants heal, survive - The Hindu - March 9th, 2020
- Israeli Women Are Ahead In Biotech, But Don't Have The Leadership Roles Just Yet | Health News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - March 9th, 2020
- Complete growth overview on Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market in 2020-2025 including top key players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Charter... - March 9th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces First Patient Apheresed in a Phase IA Study With Lead Product Candidate From Rapidly Switchable Universal CAR-T Platform (UniCAR) in... - March 9th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market 2020 Analysis Research and Trends Report for 2026 - Galus Australis - March 9th, 2020
- Federal government investing nearly $7 million in stem cell research - inthehammer.com - March 7th, 2020
- Shingles vaccine makes an impact around the world and right here in Rockford - Freeport Journal-Standard - March 7th, 2020
- Beating heart cells catch a ride to the International Space Station - Rockdale Newton Citizen - March 7th, 2020