Michael Kalloniatis and Charles Luu
Stereopsis refers to our ability to appreciate depth, that is the ability to distinguish the relative distance of objects with an apparent physical displacement between the objects. It is possible to appreciate the relative location of objects using one eye (monocular cues). However, it is the lateral displacement of the eyes that provides two slightly different views of the same object (disparate images) and allow acute stereoscopic depth discrimination.
Several strong monocular cues allow relative distance and depth to be judged. These monocular cues include:
Relative Size: Retinal image size allow us to judge distance based on our past and present experience and familiarity with similar objects. As the car drives away, the retinal image becomes smaller and smaller. We interpret this as the car getting further and further away. This is referred to as size constancy. A retinal image of a small car is also interpreted as a distant car (figure 1).
Figure 1. Relative size. A retinal image of a small car is considered to be distant
Interposition: Interposition cues occur when there is overlapping of objects. The overlapped object is considered further away (figure 2).
Figure 2. Interposition. The blue circle is reported to be closer since it overlaps the red circle
Linear Perspective: When objects of known distance subtend a smaller and smaller angle, it is interpreted as being further away. Parallel lines converge with increasing distance such as roads, railway lines, electric wires, etc (figure 3).
Figure 3. Linear perspective. Parallel lines such as railway lines converge with increasing distance
Aerial Perspective: Relative colour of objects give us some clues to their distance. Due to the scattering of blue light in the atmosphere, creating wall of blue light, distance objects appear more blue (figure 4). Thus distant mountains appear blue. Contrast of objects also provide clues to their distance. When the scattering of light blurs the outlines of objects, the object is perceived as distant. Mountains are perceived to be closer when the atmosphere is clear.
Figure 4. Aerial perspective. Mountains in the distance appear more blue
Light And Shade: Highlights and shadows can provide information about an objects dimensions and depth (figure 5). Because our visual system assumes the light comes from above, a totally different perception is obtained if the image is viewed upside down.
Figure 5. Highlights and shadows provide information about depth
Monocular Movement Parallax: When our heads move from side to side, objects at different distances move at a different relative velocity. Closer objects move against the direction of head movement and farther objects move with the direction of head movement.
Stereopsis is an important binocular cue to depth perception. Stereopsis cannot occur monocularly and is due to binocular retinal disparity within Panums fusional space. Stereopsis is the perception of depth produced by binocular retinal disparity. Therefore, two objects stimulates disparate (non-corresponding) retinal points within Panums fusional area.
Fusion describes the neural process that brings the retinal images in the two eyes to form one single image. Fusion occurs to allow single binocular vision. Fusion takes place when the objects are the same. When the objects are different, suppression, superimposition or binocular (retinal) rivalry may occurs. Suppression occurs to eliminate one image to prevent confusion. Superimposition results in one image presented on top of the other image. Binocular rivalry describes alternating suppression of the two eyes resulting in alternating perception of the two images. This usually occurs when lines are presented to the two eyes differ in orientation, length or thickness. An example of binocular rivalry occurs when one eye is presented with a horizontal line and the other eye is presented with a vertical line. Binocular rivalry occurs at the intersection of the lines and some suppression also exists (figure 6)
Figure 6. (a) Binocular rivalry can be demonstrated by placing a pen between yourself and the screen. Keep you eye on the tip of the pen and notice the two bars merge. You may need to slowly move the pen from the screen towards you. (b) Result of (a)
Panums fusional area is the region of binocular single vision. Outside Panums fusional area, physiological diplopia occurs. Using the haplopic method of determining the horopter, Panums area can be determined (figure 7).
Figure 7. Haplopic method of determining the horopter involves locating the region of single binocular vision at a distance of 40cm.Panums fusional area lies between the outer and inner limits of the region of single binocular vision
Retinal disparity: Retinal disparate points are retinal points that give rise to different principal visual direction and diplopia. However, retinal disparity within Panums fusional area (zone of single binocular vision) can be fused resulting in single vision. Retinal disparity is essential for stereoscopic depth perception as stereoscopic depth perception results from fusion of slightly dissimilar images. Due to the lateral displacement of our eyes, slightly dissimilar retinal images result from the different perception of the same object from each eye.
Clinical Tests used to measure Stereopsis
There are two groups of clinical tests used to measure stereopsis. These are the contour stereotests and the random-dot stereotest. Random-dot stereograms were first used by Julesz (1960) to eliminate monocular cues. As there are no contours, depth perception (stereopsis) can only be appreciated when binocular fusion occurs. Two process of stereopsis are used and these are local and global stereopsis. Local stereopsis exists to evaluate the two horizontally disparate stimuli. This process is sufficient for contour stereotests. Global stereopsis is required in random-dot stereogram when the evaluation and correlation of corresponding points and disparate points are needed over a large retinal area.
An example of a contour stereotest used in the clinic is the Titmus Fly Stereotest. In the Titmus Fly Stereotest, horizontal disparity is presented via the vectographic technique (Fricke and Siderov, 1997). When tested a 40 cm the fly has a disparity of 3,600 sec of arc; the disparity of the animals range from 400 100 sec of arc and the disparity of the Wirt rings range from 800 40 sec of arc (figure 8).
Figure 8. Titmus Fly Stereotest
Examples of random-dot stereotests used in the clinic are the Frisby Stereotest, the Randot Stereotest, the Random-dot E Stereotest and the Lang Stereotest. The Frisby Stereotest (figure 9) uses real depth to determine stereoacuity. Three perspex of different thicknesses are used. Four squares of geometric shapes are painted on one side of the perspex. In one of the squares, a circle of these geometric shape is painted on the other side of the perspex. Both the Randot (figure 10) and the Random-dot E uses crossed polarised filters. Disparity is also constructed vectographically. The Randot Stereotest uses modified animals and ring designs with random dot backgrounds to eliminate monocular cues. The Lang Stereotest uses a panographic technique (Fricke and Siderov, 1997) to present disparity, therefore, no filters are required. Patients are required to identify pictures on the Lang Stereotest. The Lang II Stereotest has a monocularly visible shape on it (figure 11).
Figure 11. The Lang II
All the tests provides a measure of stereoacuity by asking the patient to identify the correct target that has stereoscoptic depth (target with disparity). The working distance and interpupillary distance will need to be taken into consideration when calculating stereoacuity. Patients with disturbed binocular vision or different refractive error in one eye, will perform poorly on depth discrimination tests.
We like to thank Tim Fricke for providing Figures 8-11.
Fricke TR and Siderov J (1997) Stereopsis, stereotest and their relation to vision screening and clinical practice.Clin Exp Optom. 80: 165-172.
Julesz B. Binocular depth perception of computer generated patterns.Bell Syst Tech J.1960;39:11251162.2.
Moses RA and Hart WM (1987)Adlers Physiology of the eye, Clinical Application, 8th ed. St. Louis: The C. V. Mosby Company.
Ogle KN (1950)Researches in Binocular Vision. London: Saunders. 1950
Schwartz SH (1999)Visual Perception, 2nd ed. Connecticut: Appleton and Lange.
Last Update: June 6, 2007.
Michael Kalloniatiswas born in Athens Greece in 1958. He received his optometry degree and Masters degree from the University of Melbourne. His PhD was awarded from the University of Houston, College of Optometry, for studies investigating colour vision processing in the monkey visual system. Post-doctoral training continued at the University of Texas in Houston with Dr Robert Marc. It was during this period that he developed a keen interest in retinal neurochemistry, but he also maintains an active research laboratory in visual psychophysics focussing on colour vision and visual adaptation. He was a faculty member of the Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences at the University of Melbourne until his recent move to New Zealand. Dr. Kalloniatis is now the Robert G. Leitl Professor of Optometry, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Auckland.e-mail:email@example.com
Charles Luuwas born in Can Tho, Vietnam in 1974. He was educated in Melbourne and received his optometry degree from the University of Melbourne in 1996 and proceeded to undertake a clinical residency within the Victorian College of Optometry. During this period, he completed post-graduate training and was awarded the post-graduate diploma in clinical optometry. His areas of expertise include low vision and contact lenses. During his tenure as a staff optometrist, he undertook teaching of optometry students as well as putting together the Cyclopean Eye, in collaboration with Dr Michael Kalloniatis. The Cyclopean Eye is a Web based interactive unit used in undergraduate teaching of vision science to optometry students. He is currently in private optometric practice as well as a visiting clinician within the Department of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Melbourne.
Read more from the original source:
Perception of Depth by Michael Kalloniatis and Charles Luu ...
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Pregnancy Help News - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Assay Market Set Explosive Growth By 2019 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare,... - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market to Reach a Value of Approximately US$ 450.5 Mn by the End of 2026 - Science Examiner - August 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on 2021-2026 Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Segmentation, Analysis by Recent Trends, Development & Growth by Regions - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Transplantatio Therapy Market Global Research and Analysis 2020 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- National STEM Scholars Announced for 2020 - PR Web - August 6th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Catholic News Agency - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market by Production Analysis, Current Trends 2024 Analysis of Regions with Top vendors, Market Dynamics, Types, Applications,... - August 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020
- Gene variants and susceptibility to schizophrenia - The Hindu - August 1st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 Bulletin Line -... - August 1st, 2020
- FDA Approves Monjuvi(R) (tafasitamab-cxix) in Combination with Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adu - PharmiWeb.com - August 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Trends and Value Chain 2019-2025 - Owned - August 1st, 2020
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2025 - Galus Australis - August 1st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, In... - August 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cytokine Market 2020 Top Countries Data Industry Size, Share, Business Growth, Revenue, Trends, Market Demand Penetration and Forecast to By... - August 1st, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? A Summary Of The 12 State Propositions For November 2020 Election - KHTS Radio - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Strategies, Comparison, Shares, Demand, Supply, Challenges and Forecast to 2026 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market Trends, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis up to 2021 focuses on major key players PCT Cell Therapy Services, LLC... - July 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027... - July 31st, 2020
- Limited Reporting of Adverse Events Tied to Regenerative Treatments Leaves Consumers Vulnerable - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 31st, 2020
- How airway cells work together in regeneration and aging - Newswise - July 31st, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - July 31st, 2020
- New Trends of Stem Cell Banking Market with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2025 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Scientists to speed creation of pig vaccines - FarmingUK - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market Research Report by Product, by End User, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - July 30th, 2020
- Research report covers the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Forecasts and Growth, 2019-2025 - Market Research... - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: COVID-19 impact on 3D Cell Cultures Market Variables, Information, Emerging Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026 | Sigma, Lonza, 3D... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Storage Market Insights and Upcoming Trends to Forecast till 2025| CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026| BD Bioscience, Beckman Coulter, Ge... - July 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Drugs Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Analysis and Growth Opportunities to 2026 -... - July 30th, 2020
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Announces Winners of the "Ken Griffin Alpha-synuclein Imaging Competition" to Develop Game-Changing Tool for... - July 30th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2027 | Merck KGA, LONZA Group AG, Novartis, etc. -... - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Separation by Membrane Filtration Technology Market: In-depth Analysis of the Global Industry with Future Estimations till 2029 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Outlook | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020 2027 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Mesoblast sees lasting need for COVID treatment beyond a vaccine - Sydney Morning Herald - July 30th, 2020
- UAE leads Covid-19 research in the Middle East - The National - July 30th, 2020
- Demand for Cryopreservation Equipment Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis and Growth Forecast by Type and Application from 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - July 30th, 2020
- Literature Review of Surgical Treatment in Idiopathic Full-Thickness M | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - July 29th, 2020
- Peripheral Nerve Repair Devices Market Research Report by Device, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast 2019 | By Top Players Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., Kolon TissueGene, Inc.,... - July 29th, 2020