Birds of a feather may flock together, but the feathers of birds differ altogether.
New research from an international team led by USC scientists set out to learn how feathers developed and helped birds spread across the world. Flight feathers, in particular, are masterpieces of propulsion and adaptation, helping penguins swim, eagles soar and hummingbirds hover.
Despite such diversity, the feather shares a common core design: a one-style-fits-all model with option trims for specialized performance. This simplicity and flexibility found in nature holds promise for engineers looking for better ways to build drones, wind turbines, medical implants and other advanced materials.
Those findings, published today in Cell, offer an in-depth look at the form and function of a feather based on a comparative analysis of their physical structure, cellular composition and evolution. The study compares feathers of 21 bird species from around the world.
Weve always wondered how birds can fly in so many different ways, and we found the difference in flight styles is largely due to the characteristics of their flight feathers, said Cheng-Ming Chuong, the studys lead author and a developmental biologist in the Department of Pathology at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. We want to learn how flight feathers are made so we can better understand nature and learn how biological architecture principles can benefit modern technology.
To gain a comprehensive understanding of the flight feather, Chuong formed a multi-disciplinary international team with Wen Tau Juan, a biophysicist at the Integrative Stem Cell Center, China Medical University in Taiwan. The work involved experts in stem cells, molecular biology, anatomy, physics, bioimaging, engineering, materials science, bioinformatics and animal science. The bird species studied include ostrich, sparrow, eagle, chickens, ducks, swallow, owl, penguin, peacock, heron and hummingbird, among others.
They compared feathers using fossils, stem cells and flight performance characteristics. They focused on the feather shaft, or rachis, that supports the feather much like a mast holds a sail, bearing the stress between wind and wing. They also focused on the vane, the lateral branches astride the shaft that give the feather its shape to flap the air. And they examined how evolution shaped the barbs, ridges and hooks that help a feather hold its form and lock with adjacent feathers like Velcro to form a wing. The goal was to understand how a simple filament appendage on dinosaurs transformed into a three-level branched structure with different functions.
We want to learn how flight feathers are made so we can better understand nature and learn how biological architecture principles can benefit modern technology.
For birds such as ducks, eagles and sparrows that fly in different modes, the scientists noted significant differences in the feather shaft compared to ground-hugging birds. On the rigid exterior, the shaft cortex was thinner and lightweight, while the interior was filled with porous cells resembling bubble wrap, aligned into bands of various orientations and reinforced with ridges that operate like tiny lateral beams. Together, it forms a light, hollow and buoyant structure to enable flight. Cross-sections of feather shafts of different birds show highly specialized shapes and orientations of the inner core and outer cortex.
The flight feather is made of two highly adaptable architectural modules, light and strong materials that can develop into highly adaptable configurations, Chuong said.
The researchers discovered two different molecular mechanisms guiding feather growth. Cortex thickness was governed by bone morphogenetic proteins, which are molecular signals for tissue growth. The porous feather interior, or medulla, relied upon a different mechanism known as transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-b). Both components originate as stem cells in the birds skin.
By contrast, feathers in flightless birds were simpler, consisting of a dense cortex exterior that is more rigid and sturdy with fewer internal struts and cells found in flying birds. The features were especially pronounced for penguins, which use wings as paddles under the water.
As part of the study, the researchers looked at 100 million-year-old feathers, found embedded in amber in Myanmar. These fossils show early feathers lacked one key feature that modern birds have. Specifically, the researchers report that fossil feathers had barb branches and barbules, which form a feather vane by overlapping, but not hooklets. The hooklets, which act like clasps to turn fluffy feathers into a tight flat plane for high-performance flight, evolved later. The scientists also identified WNT2B, another growth factor, as the agent that controls hooklet formation. These also originated from epidermal stem cells.
Taken together, the findings show how feathered dinosaurs and early birds could form a primitive vane by overlapping barbule plates, although that wasnt aerodynamically fit to carry much load. As more complex composite features occurred in the wing, it got heavier, so feather shafts became stronger yet more lightweight, which led to stiffer feathers and sturdy wings that powered flight to carry birds around the world.
Our findings suggest the evolutionary trends of feather shaft and vane are balanced for the best flight performance of an individual bird and become part of the selective basis of speciation, the study said. The principles of functional architectures we studied here may also stimulate bio-inspired designs and fabrication of future composite materials for architectures of different scales, including wind turbines, artificial tissues, flying drones.
Chuong and Juan are co-leaders of the 31-person team, joined by co-authors Randall B. Widelitz, Shuo Wang, Michael Habib, Ting-Xin Jiang, Zhong-Lai Luo and Ping Wu of the Keck School of Medicine of USC; Wei-Ling Chang, Hao Wu, Yung-Chi Lai, Ming Xing Lei, and Shih-Chieh Hung of the China Medical University Hospital in Taiwan; Ming-You Shie, Jui-Ting Hsu, Heng-Li Huang and Yi-Wen Chen of the China Medical University, Taiwan; Chih-Feng Chen, Ping Chi Tang, Hus Chen Cheng, and Yen-Cheng Lin of the National Chung Hsing University in Taiwan; How-Jen Gu, Yu-Kun Chiu, Tse-Yu Lin, Shun-Min Yang, Tsung-Tse Lee, J.C. Tsai and Yeu-Kuang Hwu of the Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica, Taiwan; Cheng-Te Yao of the Endemic Species Research Institute, Taiwan; Shyh-Jou Shieh of the National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan; Ang Li of the University of Texas, Arlington.
Work at USC was supported by the National Institutes of Health (AR 047364, AR 060306) while team members in Taiwan were supported by grants from their own institutes and the Taiwan government.
More stories about: Biology, Research
See the article here:
How birds fly: New USC study examines the evolution of flight feathers - USC News
- Stem Cell Banking Market smart Strategies of the Research and Development Process Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Meet the Culprits of Cell Culture Contamination - Technology Networks - January 23rd, 2020
- What Will Be The Growth of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market? Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Biobanks Market To Witness An Impressive Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Vital News 24 - January 23rd, 2020
- Advancells Group & IFC Concluded their 3-Day Workshop on Regenerative Medicine - India Education Diary - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development to 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics COO and CMO, Dr. Ralph Kern, to Present at the 10th Annual California ALS Research Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Neurogenesis could be a therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disease - Drug Target Review - January 22nd, 2020
- Getting to the Root of the Disease: Developing Drugs Against the Hard-to-Target Wnt Pathway - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Market Players, Key Regions, Product Segments, and Applications 2024 ... - January 22nd, 2020
- At 35.7% CAGR, Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size will reach 108.3 million USD by 2025 - MENAFN.COM - January 22nd, 2020
- Global Cholangiocarcinoma Therapeutics Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Eli Lilly and Company |... - January 22nd, 2020
- 1000 Entrepreneurs: Ken Aldrich on 30 Years of Venture Capital and 50 Successful Businesses - GuruFocus.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Preparing the youth - The News International - January 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Extensive Growth Opportunities to Be Witnessed by 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 22nd, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 2026 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - FRANCE 24 - January 21st, 2020
- Psychiatric body condemns use of stem cell therapies to treat psychiatric disorders - Moneycontrol.com - January 21st, 2020
- Astellas partners with Adaptimmune to develop off-the-shelf CAR-T and T-cell therapies - Healio - January 21st, 2020
- Could Scientists 'Hack' the Zika Virus to Kill Brain Cancer? - Livescience.com - January 20th, 2020
- Product Innovations and Technological Advancements to Boost the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market in the Upcoming Years 2017 2025 Dagoretti... - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Report 2019:2026 Industry Growth Forecasts by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application Dagoretti News... - January 20th, 2020
- Market opportunity and growth drivers of Cell Separation Technology Market till 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Uses, Types & Examples - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2016 2024 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- 2D Cell Culture Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based therapeutics Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Growth, Size, Share, Clinical Review,... - January 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Poised to Garner Maximum Revenues During 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Astellas and Adaptimmune Enter into Agreement to Co-Develop and Co-Commercialize Stem-Cell Derived Allogeneic CAR-T and TCR T-Cell Therapies - Yahoo... - January 18th, 2020
- Universities aren't making a lot of money from university research - The Hechinger Report - January 18th, 2020
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Biobanks Market Between 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2018 to 2028 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Heart Cell Research Leads to Discovery That May Lead to Unreliable Data - Newswise - January 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2019 Valuable Growth Prospects and Upcoming Trends till 2024 Dagoretti News... - January 17th, 2020
- In Vitro Lung Model Market to 2027 Increasing Adoption Of 3D Model Systems - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2020
- Curcumin Combined with Thalidomide Reduces Expression of STAT3 and Bcl | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - January 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2019 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Instanews247 - January 15th, 2020
- The Checkout: Powering Plant and Cell-based Innovations - NOSH - January 11th, 2020
- Cultured Meat Startup New Age Meats Secures $2.7M in Seed Round - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Gun Devices Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2019 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Top Companies, Business Opportunities and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Pro News Time - January 11th, 2020
- TEDCO funds open again for applications - Maryland Daily Record - January 4th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Environment and Higher Growth Rate with Forecast to 2025 - Filmi Baba - January 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Segmentation, Top Companies, Applications, Comprehensive Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Market Research... - December 30th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies With Top Manufacturers - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Key players, Geographical Regions and Growth Analysis Outlook Up To 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 30th, 2019
- Scientists race to use zero gravity to kill the worst cancers - Big Think - December 30th, 2019
- How technology has changed the world in the last decade - The Upcoming - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types And Application, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Challenges and Opportunities Report 2017 2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Protein Associated with Leukemia May Lead to Targeted Therapy for Currently Incurable Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Pharmacy Times - December 25th, 2019
- The Next Generation of Biologic Pacemakers? New Discovery in Stem Cells from Fat Creates Another Alternative Treatment - DocWire News - December 25th, 2019
- Study of the 3D Cell Culture Market in Asia-Pacific, 2019-2027: Projecting a 13.11% CAGR, Driven by Promising Developments Using Regenerative Medicine... - December 24th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 24th, 2019
- Illuminating Christmas, 19 years and counting... in honour of the Anthony Nolan Charity - London News Online - December 24th, 2019
- The global in vitro lung model market is expected to reach US$ 701.81 Mn in 2027 from US$ 185.80 Mn in 2018 - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Global and Southeast Asia Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2013-2023 by Top Key Players, YoY Growth, Trends, Size, Share and Revenue Analysis - Market... - December 24th, 2019
- Researchers Create Functional Mini-Liver by 3D Bioprinting - 3D Printing Progress - December 24th, 2019
- FY 2020 Government Funding Bill Repeals ACA Health-Related Taxes, Extends Expiring Health Provisions, Makes Other Health Policy Updates - Lexology - December 24th, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Market SWOT Analysis 2019 | Industry Leading Players by Size, Share, Industry Revenue, and Regional Forecast to 2024 - Ankeny Observer - December 23rd, 2019
- BeiGene Announces Acceptance of a Supplemental New Drug Application in China for REVLIMID in Relapsed or Refractory Indolent Lymphoma - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - December 18th, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Business... - December 18th, 2019
- 3D Cell Culture Market: Hydrogel, Hanging Drop, Bioreactor, Microfluidics, Magnetic Levitation - Global Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 18th, 2019
- Functional "Mini-liver" Created By 3D Bioprinting - Technology Networks - December 18th, 2019
- Scientists hope MND cure is a step closer after stem cell breakthrough discovery - The National - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Adopts Innovation to Stay Competitive Forecast - Market Research Sheets - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Discovery Could Transform Treatment of Tendon Injuries - Gilmore Health News - December 18th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Cord Blood Stem Cell Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Media Market |2018-2023| Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis, Key Vendors Analysis, Reliability, Growth Innovation in Technology... - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to Become a Worth US$ 4759.27 Million By 2024 - E-Industry News - December 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to 2025 Analysis by Top Vendors - Space Market Research - December 17th, 2019
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019