According to researchers at the German Max Planck Institute who carried out the study on this subject, more research is needed into whether animals can predict earthquakes. For this follow-up research, the scientists want to make use of the global observation system Icarus on the ISS space station.
In any event, predicting earthquakes is a difficult job, as Johan van Leeuwen knows all too well. He is a professor at the Dutch University of Wageningen, where he is working on bio-inspired design. Seismologists and all sorts of other scientists have been trying for years to develop a model, without any success. Im afraid that this study will not contribute to this very much. This research has been conducted by behavioral scientists. Using statistical methods, they are trying to find out whether animal behavior may be indicative of earthquakes. If you look at the raw data in the study, they do see a trend, but at the same time, the range is very large. There may be a false positive in there.
The research seems to be missing one key factor, because, according to Van Leeuwen, it would only become really interesting if we knew how animals can feel an earthquake coming on. Suppose that there is already a connection between behavior and earthquakes, then we still dont know how the mechanism behind that actually works. How do animals pick up on this? Are they more sensitive to vibrations? Could it be the smells that are released by the shifting of the earths crust? Or do they detect shifts in the Earths magnetic field? Pigeons pick up on this, this enables them to always find their way home. But I dont know of any physical way of sensing upcoming earthquakes. Therefore, in order to find out what is causing this restless behavior in animals, you have to explore all of these possibilities.
Gaining a thorough understanding of natural mechanisms is one of the areas covered by the research group that Van Leeuwen belongs to. Here, scientists are attempting to translate knowledge gained from nature into new technology. Compare it with the early days of aviation, when birds wings served as a source of inspiration. You want to know how things work in nature. What is its function? And how does an animal make that happen? Call it reverse engineering. Nature is incredibly complex and has taken a very long time to develop. Often our technology is still too limited for us to accurately recreate these ingenious systems, Van Leeuwen explains.
In conjunction with the Delft University of Technology, for instance, Wageningen biologists developed surgical needles modeled on the ovipositor of parasitic wasps. Using this long thin needle the wasp lays eggs in larvae that live in wood or fruit. The ovipositor consists of three exoskeletal elements and is able to move in a forward direction. Together with engineers, we have translated this insight into a flexible medical needle. This allows you to reach places in the body with this needle that are otherwise difficult to reach. Consider brain surgeries, then you will want a pathway that does the least damage. Or in the spinal cord, you wouldnt want a needle like that to touch any nerves.
But this medical application is still not as ingenious as nature herself has devised it. Van Leeuwen: Ichneumon wasps have a complex musculature that steers the needle. Its a brilliant system no bigger than a single hair. Its actually a really great little trick: the needle moves forward thanks to the interlocking elements that cleverly push and pull it. Weve managed to recreate that, but the needle of such a creature can actually do a great deal more. It is very ingeniously constructed, the exoskeletons of the needle can subtly change its properties to achieve greater rigidity, for one thing. This happens at the cellular level, current science is not able to mimic these ever-changing material properties yet.
At the moment, the medical needle is still undergoing further research and testing. Yet it will probably take some time before it has the same properties as a wasp. Since we are unable to 3D print or cultivate the biochemical material that can change its shape, we should theoretically be able to program the cell. That way, you can have the cell produce any material property that you desire. Thats still fa long way off in the future. But you do see various disciplines coming together in this area of expertise that are already working on this.
Eventually, we should be able to regenerate organs from a single stem cell. This means that you no longer have to deal with a donor organ that rejects the body. It will still be a while before that happens. Growing an organ is one thing, but how do you keep something like that alive? In this case, too, we will first have to unravel the underlying mechanisms.
Danquin Liu feels differently about that. Lui is working at Eindhoven University of Technology on an artificial skin that can secrete and absorb liquids. Handy in the healthcare sector for administering set medication doses and absorbing wound fluid. But also ideal for cooling robots (just like sweat does for us humans) or for lubricating machines (through the release of lubricant). Lui: We looked at the effect of the skin on humans and animals for this coating. But this mechanism is far too complex to be able to copy one-on-one. Nobody has the full picture. We know we sweat to regulate our temperature, but theres a lot more to it that we dont know about.
According to Liu, this does not pose a problem given that she only draws her inspiration from nature: Actually, nature is full of dynamic living technology that is centuries old, were not capable of understanding all of that. In our research, we use nature as an example and try to improve something. Take a raspberry, for instance, it always has a water-repellent structure. We could then develop a structure that you can control, thats how you can add something to things.
Even if Liu isnt precisely sure how a mechanism in the skin works, the principle can still be useful, she explains. When youre cold, your skin contracts and you get goosebumps. Those contractions cause your skin which is normally smooth to suddenly show a relief effect. We can apply this principle in our coating so that a robotic arm has more grip. Or to clean solar panels in the desert within seconds after a sandstorm.
Lui is also working on the development of a screen for blind people, also based on the goosebump principle. For instance, the idea is that the screen will contract when touched and that way display a text in Braille. Lui thinks this project will take about five years. Its not down to the technique or the material, but this kind of haptic feedback has to do with human perception, which makes it more complex. We are working with a Swedish university to achieve this.
Read the original here:
Follow-up: what tech can still learn from nature - Innovation Origins
- RenovaCare Receives FDA Conditional IDE Approval of CellMist System and SkinGun Device, Enabling Clinical Study for Safety and Feasibility - BioSpace - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 11th, 2020
- How European Startups Have Advanced Cancer T-Cell Therapy in... - Labiotech.eu - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive... - August 11th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: Pfizer-backed BioNTech plans to seek FDA OK for a new vaccine 'as early as' October ahead of the election - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Initiates Expanded Access Program with Plinabulin for Patients Suffering from CIN in the U.S. - GlobeNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Cell Isolation-Cell Separation Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Growing Demand for Vitronectin Products Market to Significantly Increase Revenues Through 2028 - Lake Shore Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Automated Cell Cultures Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Tissue Regeneration Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Equipment Market by global COVID-19 impact analysis, industry trends, business strategies, opportunities and forecast to 2024 discussed in a... - August 10th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market In-Depth Survey and Future Outlook By 2027 | GE Healthcare, Merck KgaA, Miltenyi Biotec, etc. - Levee Report - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027... - August 10th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Data Breakdown by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application -... - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast... - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook,... - August 9th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Report 2020 Key Players Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.,... - August 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Artificial Meat Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027... - August 9th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market by Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, and Future Prospects 2020 2024 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Seven principles to change the UK's research culture - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 9th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Outlook 2018-2025 by Emerging Trends, Technology, Leading Companies, And Future Forecast -... - August 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Mesoblast, Regeneus, U.S. Stem... - August 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detail Analysis focusing on Application, Types and Regional Outlook - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 8th, 2020
- Koepka's biggest challenge is history in bid for 3 in a row - The Associated Press - August 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Pregnancy Help News - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Assay Market Set Explosive Growth By 2019 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare,... - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market to Reach a Value of Approximately US$ 450.5 Mn by the End of 2026 - Science Examiner - August 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on 2021-2026 Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Segmentation, Analysis by Recent Trends, Development & Growth by Regions - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Transplantatio Therapy Market Global Research and Analysis 2020 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- National STEM Scholars Announced for 2020 - PR Web - August 6th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Catholic News Agency - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market by Production Analysis, Current Trends 2024 Analysis of Regions with Top vendors, Market Dynamics, Types, Applications,... - August 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020
- Gene variants and susceptibility to schizophrenia - The Hindu - August 1st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 Bulletin Line -... - August 1st, 2020