health & science
Can an immune system distracted by post-surgery healing allow previously dormant cancer cells to wake up and cause havoc? Scientists say the science isnt settled but old drugs may help.
For years theres been a question surrounding breast cancer surgery. Twelve to 18 months after surgery theres a high recurrence rate of cancer.
It was a dilemma put to the test in mice, the results suggestingthe bodys healing response to surgery could be the reason.
The hypothesis is while the body is busy healing a wound, the immune system is less able to keep cancer cells - which had already spread to other areas of the body - dormant.
Surprisingly, the study found giving the mice over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine before and after surgery could reduce the risk.
The study received a fair bit of attention. There was worry from some quarters it may lead to people rejecting important surgery. It also highlighted something as cheap as aspirin could improve patients outcomes.
According to University of Otago research fellow Dr Nicholas Fleming, surgery is almost always the best option.
His view is the science on surgery and cancer-spread isnot settled, and while there may be a risk, not having surgery creates a worse situation.
If you cut a cancer out early, hopefully you get all of the cancer and thats the end of it.
The later the surgery, the greater the chance the cancer has spread.
He describes the question of what causes cancer to spread as a million-dollar question. Heputs it down to a collection of mutations.
For the most part, cancer cells do one thing:life revolves around dividing.
But in the tumour some rebels emerge. Not content to simply divide, they leave home and roam the body. Eventually, these find new spots to colonise. In their new home they begin to divide once more, creating new tumours.
Thats why the most important thing in cancer treatment is treating people before they get to that point because after that it becomes very, very hard to save their lives.
Fleming has been looking at whether existing drugs thatare out of patent(and dirt cheap as a result)couldhelp fight cancer spread.
The idea of repurposing drugs is an area gaining traction. It was sparked by data showing diabetics taking metformin for their diabetes had a lower rate of cancer than those not taking it.
Since then, hundreds of drugs - not initially designed with cancer in mind - have been associated with effects on cancer.
Association isnt rock solid proof. The gold standard of proof comes from expensive clinical trials.
For old drugs with expired patents, this is an issue. Theres no financial incentive for drug companies to fund clinical trials of drugs they wont profit from.
As a publicly-funded researcher, Fleming is in a position to look at some of the off-patent drugs pharmaceutical companies arent interested in.
Rapamycin, used since the 1970s to stop transplants from being rejected, is one drug hes looked at. He describes it as anti-inflammatory and anti-migratory.
That drug can stop cells crawling. If you have cells that are migrating, you can stop them with that.
Fleming, who is also looking at pairing old drugs with the new immunotherapy drugs, is not the only scientist in New Zealand looking at repurposed drugs.
Gillies McIndoe Research Institute executive director Dr Swee Tans clinical trial is treating brain cancer with drugs thatcost $5 once every three months.
Its the worst brain cancer, its the most aggressive brain cancer. The median survival is that half the patients will die within 15 months after diagnosis. About half of them will recur within six months of treatment and once they have recurred, about half will die in six months.
He said 11 people currently in the trial wereliving longer than expected. The treatment uses blood pressure pills.
We say cancer is caused by stem cells that have misbehaved and caused cancer.
Tan uses the analogy of a beehive. A queen bee stem cell makes worker bees thatcreate the tumour, it also makes another queen bee thattravels elsewhere in the body and starts another hive.
He found the renin-angiotensin system, which regulates blood pressure and electrolyte balance, also controls the queen bee.
The implication is you might be able to design treatment to control cancer by controlling the cancer stem cells by using medications which control the renin-angiotensin system.
Delaying clinical proof is funding.
New Zealand spends $1 billion a year to treat cancer. That cost is escalating because of very expensive cancer drugs. If the government put aside 1 percent of that - $10 million a year to fund research like this - it will take this whole debate forward. It would allow the work to be done to prove it one way or the other.
Dr David Jennings, a Bay of Islands GP, thinks theres a case for not waiting for clinical trials.
As a GP hes seen the fireworks of cancer spread in patients. He also lost a close friend, and the process of trying to help turned him into an advocate for repurposed drugs.
His friends cancer had spread by the time it was diagnosed, but Jennings believes the repurposed drugs in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments extended his time, and improved its quality.
Lets say were losing 1000 patients a year, in 10 yearsthats 10,000 people. Thats a hell of a lot of people waiting for these studies to be done.
While clinical trials struggle to get funding, he thinks patients can take a lead, do research and talk to their GP. With repurposed drugs having been around for decades, side effects are well-known.
Were in a good position in New Zealand in terms of being able to repurpose drugs, but it will have to be a patient and doctor decision.
Off-label and untapped - are old drugs new cancer treatments?
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021
- People With Cancer Should Receive COVID-19 Vaccine, Experts Say - Cancer Health Treatment News - February 4th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future The Courier - The Courier - February 4th, 2021
- Healthcare Inventory Management Market: Rising Research and Development is Anticipated to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - January 30th, 2021
- Latest Research and Industry Trends of Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Forecast 2027 Stemcell Technologies, Wheaton Industries, GE Healthcare ... - January 30th, 2021
- 5 People in the BioHealth Capital Region You Should Know In 2021 - BioBuzz - January 30th, 2021
- Global CAR-T Therapy Market Opportunities and Strategies Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Their Goal: Meat That's Better Than Meat | Tufts Now - Tufts Now - January 30th, 2021
- Humanigen and Emergent BioSolutions Announce Contract Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Phase 3 COVID-19 Therapeutic Candidate Lenzilumab -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 7,250.0 Million by 2028 | Increasing Investments in Production Capacity Expansion for Cell and Gene... - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Human physiomimetic model integrating microphysiological systems of the gut, liver, and brain for studies of neurodegenerative diseases - Science... - January 30th, 2021
- Elevian Targets Aging to Solve Humanity's Toughest Diseases - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Propanc Biopharma Appoints Belen Toledo to Evaluate Impact of Proenzyme Therapy on Tumor Microenvironment - Business Wire - January 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Osiris... - January 25th, 2021
- Cell Separation Technologies Market to Reach $28.76 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 15.4% CAGR, Says Allied Market Research - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 25th, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - BioSpace - January 23rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $23.57 Bn By 2027; High demand for 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs to better understand their mechanism... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative medicine is advancing health care in diverse ways - Hometown Focus - January 22nd, 2021
- Gene Pathway Linked to Development of Schizophrenia - Psychiatric Times - January 22nd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces the Addition of BARDA and Expansion of CRADA with the US Government to Develop Lenzilumab for COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2021
- Cell Sorting Market Size to Reach USD 805.1 Million By 2027 | Expanding Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Industries will be the Major Factor Driving... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm's Covid-19 ARDS treatment improves lung function in study - Clinical Trials Arena - January 22nd, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on Automated Cell Culture Market Influencing the Industry Development and Forecast | BD, Tecan Trading, Sartorius, TAP Biosystems,... - January 22nd, 2021
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Size is Expected to reach USD 3529.26 Million by 2025 and Registeri - PharmiWeb.com - January 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 22nd, 2021
- New Genetic Disorder Discovered That Affects Brain and Craniofacial Skeleton - Technology Networks - January 22nd, 2021
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy Invests $1 Million in Satellos Bioscience to Support New Regenerative Medicine Technology - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem cells on the ballot - Science Magazine - January 14th, 2021
- 2021 Startups to Watch: Ronawk's T-Blocks stack the future of stem cell research in an Olathe lab - Startland News - January 14th, 2021
- Towards a Cure: Carleton Research Team Working on Stem Cell Therapy to Reverse Type 1 Diabetes - Carleton Newsroom - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market | Know the aspects that will serve as game-changers for the market - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021