health & science
Can an immune system distracted by post-surgery healing allow previously dormant cancer cells to wake up and cause havoc? Scientists say the science isnt settled but old drugs may help.
For years theres been a question surrounding breast cancer surgery. Twelve to 18 months after surgery theres a high recurrence rate of cancer.
It was a dilemma put to the test in mice, the results suggestingthe bodys healing response to surgery could be the reason.
The hypothesis is while the body is busy healing a wound, the immune system is less able to keep cancer cells - which had already spread to other areas of the body - dormant.
Surprisingly, the study found giving the mice over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine before and after surgery could reduce the risk.
The study received a fair bit of attention. There was worry from some quarters it may lead to people rejecting important surgery. It also highlighted something as cheap as aspirin could improve patients outcomes.
According to University of Otago research fellow Dr Nicholas Fleming, surgery is almost always the best option.
His view is the science on surgery and cancer-spread isnot settled, and while there may be a risk, not having surgery creates a worse situation.
If you cut a cancer out early, hopefully you get all of the cancer and thats the end of it.
The later the surgery, the greater the chance the cancer has spread.
He describes the question of what causes cancer to spread as a million-dollar question. Heputs it down to a collection of mutations.
For the most part, cancer cells do one thing:life revolves around dividing.
But in the tumour some rebels emerge. Not content to simply divide, they leave home and roam the body. Eventually, these find new spots to colonise. In their new home they begin to divide once more, creating new tumours.
Thats why the most important thing in cancer treatment is treating people before they get to that point because after that it becomes very, very hard to save their lives.
Fleming has been looking at whether existing drugs thatare out of patent(and dirt cheap as a result)couldhelp fight cancer spread.
The idea of repurposing drugs is an area gaining traction. It was sparked by data showing diabetics taking metformin for their diabetes had a lower rate of cancer than those not taking it.
Since then, hundreds of drugs - not initially designed with cancer in mind - have been associated with effects on cancer.
Association isnt rock solid proof. The gold standard of proof comes from expensive clinical trials.
For old drugs with expired patents, this is an issue. Theres no financial incentive for drug companies to fund clinical trials of drugs they wont profit from.
As a publicly-funded researcher, Fleming is in a position to look at some of the off-patent drugs pharmaceutical companies arent interested in.
Rapamycin, used since the 1970s to stop transplants from being rejected, is one drug hes looked at. He describes it as anti-inflammatory and anti-migratory.
That drug can stop cells crawling. If you have cells that are migrating, you can stop them with that.
Fleming, who is also looking at pairing old drugs with the new immunotherapy drugs, is not the only scientist in New Zealand looking at repurposed drugs.
Gillies McIndoe Research Institute executive director Dr Swee Tans clinical trial is treating brain cancer with drugs thatcost $5 once every three months.
Its the worst brain cancer, its the most aggressive brain cancer. The median survival is that half the patients will die within 15 months after diagnosis. About half of them will recur within six months of treatment and once they have recurred, about half will die in six months.
He said 11 people currently in the trial wereliving longer than expected. The treatment uses blood pressure pills.
We say cancer is caused by stem cells that have misbehaved and caused cancer.
Tan uses the analogy of a beehive. A queen bee stem cell makes worker bees thatcreate the tumour, it also makes another queen bee thattravels elsewhere in the body and starts another hive.
He found the renin-angiotensin system, which regulates blood pressure and electrolyte balance, also controls the queen bee.
The implication is you might be able to design treatment to control cancer by controlling the cancer stem cells by using medications which control the renin-angiotensin system.
Delaying clinical proof is funding.
New Zealand spends $1 billion a year to treat cancer. That cost is escalating because of very expensive cancer drugs. If the government put aside 1 percent of that - $10 million a year to fund research like this - it will take this whole debate forward. It would allow the work to be done to prove it one way or the other.
Dr David Jennings, a Bay of Islands GP, thinks theres a case for not waiting for clinical trials.
As a GP hes seen the fireworks of cancer spread in patients. He also lost a close friend, and the process of trying to help turned him into an advocate for repurposed drugs.
His friends cancer had spread by the time it was diagnosed, but Jennings believes the repurposed drugs in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments extended his time, and improved its quality.
Lets say were losing 1000 patients a year, in 10 yearsthats 10,000 people. Thats a hell of a lot of people waiting for these studies to be done.
While clinical trials struggle to get funding, he thinks patients can take a lead, do research and talk to their GP. With repurposed drugs having been around for decades, side effects are well-known.
Were in a good position in New Zealand in terms of being able to repurpose drugs, but it will have to be a patient and doctor decision.
Off-label and untapped - are old drugs new cancer treatments?
- Expected A Drastic Growth In Stem Cell Banking Market Key Insights Based On Source, Service Type, Application - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: STEM CELL BANKING Market 2020 Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Report - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Slump in Production of Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Amidst Covid-19 Outbreak to Diminish Prospects of Sales - Bulletin... - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Separation Technologies Market to Show Outstanding Growth by 2025 Profiling Global Players Industry... - May 24th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company... - May 24th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Processing Systems Market Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends the COVID-19 - Cole of Duty - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Stem Cell Banking Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with... - May 24th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting In-Depth Cell Separation Market Analysis for 2020 and Beyond - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- HKBU invents nanostructure that stimulates growth of stem cells for Parkinson's disease treatment - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group Announces the Launch of its New Division VITA NOVAS - PR Web - May 22nd, 2020
- Not All Cancer Research Money Is Going Away During COVID University of Chicago Receives $10-million Gift For Cell Therapy - SurvivorNet - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists to study how lungs respond to worm infections - UC Riverside - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growing Demand, Overview and Business Outlook to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market New Investments Expected To Boost The Demand By 2027 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Californians for Stem Cell Research, Treatments & Cures - May 21st, 2020
- UAE Press: In the race to find a COVID-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - WAM EN - May 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Drugs Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- BOOMING NEWS: COVID-19 IMPACT ON Stem Cells Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and... - May 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of... - May 21st, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Growth, Trends and Competitive Landscape | P&S Intelligence - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2019-2023 Cole... - May 21st, 2020
- Warning about stem cell treatments and COVID-19 - 10News - May 20th, 2020
- Research frozen by COVID-19 begins to thaw - The Age - May 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 20th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Tyson, Ronaldo, and more sports stars who use stem cell treatment costing up to 15,000 to speed up healing - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Deals Collection (2010-2020): Access to Headline, Upfront, Milestone and Royalty Data - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2020 Regional Outlook, Latest Trend, Share Analysis, Growth, Application and Forecast to 2027 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Critical window for re-infection with HIV after stem cell transplantation - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Cancer Stem Cell Market Expert Guide to Boost the Industry in Market Share - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 20 - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Cell Isolation Technology Market Growth Opportunity and Industry Revenue Analysis by Major Players, 2019-2026 3w Market... - May 19th, 2020
- 'No silver bullet': Investors cautioned as market surges on vaccine hopes - Sydney Morning Herald - May 19th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Key Players, Outlook and Forecasts Report 2020-2028 - The Billings... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Review Study,Indepth Analysis is Available in Recent Research Report During... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis Focusing on the Key Issues Surrounding the Growth of the Industry and Further Develop Opportunities - Bandera County... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market - Need for Improved Regenerative Medication and Anatomy - BioSpace - May 16th, 2020
- Millions of Mature Human Cells Blood, Eye and Liver Cells Grown In a Mouse Embryo - SciTechDaily - May 16th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID19-Global Mycoplasma Testing Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and ATCC | Technavio... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Qinlock for Patients with Pretreated, Advanced GIST - Curetoday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Forecast Period Between 2020-2026 | Covid-19... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 16th, 2020
- A Method for Assessing the Role of Long Non-protein Coding RNAs - Technology Networks - May 16th, 2020
- One year on, Capricor's stem cell therapy appears to help DMD patients in small study, but investors balk at the data - Endpoints News - May 14th, 2020
- QurAlis Hauls In $42M to Move New ALS Therapies Into Human Testing - Xconomy - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - Express Journal - May 14th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast 2020-2025, Latest Trends and Opportunities - ZZReport - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 14th, 2020
- Proactive and tech-driven approach helps UAE, South Korea's fight against COVID-19 - WAM EN - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 14th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the Competitors |... - May 14th, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market - Insights into how contours of market will change in coming years - BioSpace - May 12th, 2020
- Atara Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Cell & Gene Therapy Expert Maria Grazia Roncarolo, MD to Board of Directors - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Were All Casualties of Trumps War on Coronavirus Science - The New York Times - May 12th, 2020
- CBG Called the 'Stem Cell' Of Cannabinoids and Could be More Profitable Than CBD - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Updates on FA and LAD-I Gene Therapy Programs at the 23rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene and... - May 12th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010-2020 - stopthefud - May 12th, 2020
- Insights on the Worldwide Cell Expansion Industry to 2027 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - May 5th, 2020
- Change the subject with these 7 UW deep dives - University of Wisconsin-Madison - May 5th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026| -... - May 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - Cole of Duty - May 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Artificial Meat Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Global Stem Cell Storage Market: Demand, Trend, Service, Growth, Types, Applications and 2020-2026 Industry Forecast Research... - May 5th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020