Patients who are beyond treatment under the standards of conventional medicine often seek help from alternative medical treatments; however, these methods pose not only medical risks for patients, but also legal risks for doctors.
A surgeon with qualifications in vascular, heart and thorax surgery treated seriously ill patients using an innovative method. The patients suffered from morbus Parkinson, multiple sclerosis, various forms of myatrophy and paralysis, traumatic spinal cord injuries, macular degenerations or psychiatric impairments such as autism. All of the patients were beyond treatment under the standards of conventional medicine. The surgeon treated them with stem cell therapy.
First-instance and appeal decisions
In April 2014 the Viennese Administrative Authority fined the surgeon under Section 49(1) of the Act on the Medical Profession for failing to observe patient welfare namely, for not evaluating the side effects and counterindications of using stem cell therapy to treat the abovementioned conditions.
In July 2015 the Viennese Administrative Tribunal(1) partly confirmed this decision. The tribunal ruled that potential health risks cannot be withheld from patients.
Supreme Administrative Court decision
On appeal, the Supreme Administrative Court(2) overruled the Viennese Administrative Tribunal's decision. The court held that the administrative tribunal had accused the surgeon of regularly using autologous stem cell therapy as a new treatment, even though clinical studies had yet to determine its benefits and risks.
According to the court, stem cells fall within the definition of medicinal products under Section 1 of the Medicinal Products Act.(3) The court could therefore revert to the doctrine and precedents on the off-label use of medicinal products. In its view, the tribunal had not shown that the treatment was clearly prohibited. Further, without a prohibition on the off-label use of medicinal products with marketing authorisation, such a prohibition cannot be based on the Medicinal Products Act. Therefore, an infringement of "compliance with existing rules according to sec 49 (1) Act on the Medical Profession" was not obvious.
The use of medicinal products or treatments that have not been clinically evaluated in terms of benefit-risk ratio for certain (new) indications is referred to as 'compassionate use'. The Declaration of Helsinki on ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects states as follows:
Unproven interventions in clinical practice
37. In the treatment of an individual patient, where proven interventions do not exist or other known interventions have been ineffective, the physician, after seeking expert advice, with informed consent from the patient or a legally authorised representative, may use an unproven intervention if in the physician's judgement it offers hope of saving life, re-establishing health or alleviating suffering. This intervention should subsequently be made the object of research, designed to evaluate its safety and efficacy. In all cases, new information must be recorded and, where appropriate, made publicly available.
According to legal literature, compassionate use is a deviation from medical standards in special treatment situations, either because the standard is unhelpful or no standard for the special treatment is available. Unlike clinical studies, it refers to individual cases and not to a clinical sample.
Under Section 49(1) of the Medical Profession Act physicians must observe the rules of medical science; however, these rules are only guidelines with respect to patient welfare insofar as it is possible to go beyond conventional medicine. Therefore, Section 49(1) does not prohibit compassionate use for patients who are beyond therapy under conventional medicine if they are comprehensively informed and the compassionate use makes objective sense.(4)
There is no legal definition of 'compassionate use' and no Supreme Court precedents in this regard. On 13 February 1956 the German Federal Court ruled(5) that a method of treatment is a clinical study and not a compassionate use if the method is applied not primarily in the interests of treating a patient, but in the interest of scientific research. A new method of treatment may be applied if the responsible medical evaluation and comparison of the expected benefits and risks of the new method with the standard treatment under consideration justify its application.(6)
New methods may be used only on patients who are fully informed that said methods imply unknown risks. Further, patients must be able to evaluate and consent to (or not) said risks.(7)
In the case at hand, all of the surgeon's patients were beyond treatment such that, according to the medical standard, no successful cure could be expected at the time of the treatment.
The Viennese Administrative Tribunal failed to establish that the applied treatment had posed a danger to the patients; rather, it stated only that health risks cannot be excluded without clinical studies. The tribunal reproached the applicant for integrating the method of treatment into regular clinical operations. Compassionate use that is legitimate in individual cases becomes illegitimate if it is adopted in regular clinical operations, as it becomes a regular treatment with an unverified method. This further implies that the person administering the treatment has applied it in multiple cases. It is unclear whether the application of a new therapy on a larger number of patients excludes the qualification of the treatment as compassionate use.
Insofar as the Viennese Administrative Tribunal questioned the surgeon's claim to have evaluated the risks of stem cell therapy in each case, the tribunal lacked evidence to evaluate the types of risk that would prohibit compassionate use. Further, the tribunal failed to establish the circumstances and specific patient information that would prohibit compassionate use. Therefore, the Supreme Administrative Court set aside the Viennese Administrative Tribunal's decision.
The Supreme Administrative Court's decision appears to favour a liberal approach to new therapies and compassionate use and enhances the possibilities for developing new therapies and alternative medicines in future. However, patient welfare remains paramount for qualifying a new method as compassionate use.
(2) 24 April 2019, RA 2015/11/0113.
(3) Kopecky, Stammzellenforschung in sterreich, 2008, 269.
(4) Resch and Wallner, Handbuch Medizinrecht (second edition), 2015, 222.
(5) III ZR 175/54.
(6) German Federal Court of Justice, 13 June 2006, VI ZR 323/04.
(7) German Federal Court of Justice, 13 June 2006, VI ZR 323/04 and Federal Court of Justice, 27 March 2007, VI ZR 55/05.
This article was first published by the International Law Office, a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide.Register for a free subscription.
- Asia Pacific Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 27th, 2020
- Europe Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User, and... - November 27th, 2020
- Scaffold Technology Market Research Report by Product, by Application, by End-User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - November 27th, 2020
- The Thorough Analysis Of The Global Stem Cell Media market Research During COVID-19 Health Crisis - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 27th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Report 2020-2025: Market Size is Projected to Reach USD 2.8 Billion by 2025 from USD 1.8 Billion in 2020 - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- North America Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Computational Stem Cell Biology job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 234737 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 27th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026... - November 27th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Global Cell Culture Media Market Effects, Aftermath and Forecast To 2025 - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Accretion: Current and Future Business Analysis in Cell Expansion Market - PharmiWeb.com - November 27th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During (2020-2026) Cheshire Media - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Demand with COVID-19 impact analysis on Cell Expansion Market - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Approval of Phase I/II Clinical Trial of ATG-016 (Eltanexor), a Second Generation Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE), in Mainland China for... - November 27th, 2020
- Researchers grow first plant-based gel to help organoid development for biomedical applications - Microbioz India - November 27th, 2020
- California's stem cell research agency looks to the future - Bond Buyer - November 25th, 2020
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ;... - November 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Get Expansion admist COVID 19, Scope With Advanced Technologies Top Key Players and Forecast 2020-2027 - The... - November 25th, 2020
- New study on CRISPR: the stake of unintended consequences in embryos - BioNews - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- New solution to kill coronavirus on common surfaces in seconds - University of California - November 25th, 2020
- Agricultural Equipment Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 12th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Move Away From Insipidness, Reach US$ 218.2 Mn - PRnews Leader - November 12th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Ride on Increased Prevalence of Rheumatoid Arthritis - TMR Research Blog - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Analysis 2020 By Industry Top Manufacturers, Business Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, Gross Margin, Regional... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Industry Analysis and Trends Forecast to 2026 Thermo Fisher, CellGenix, Lonza, STEMCELL Technologies, Corning - The Think... - November 12th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - The Daily Philadelphian - November 12th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Markets, 2020-2025 - Growing Adoption of High-Content Screening Techniques in Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance UK - November 12th, 2020
- GLOBAL STEM CELL MARKET FORECAST 2021-2028 - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Is Expected to Generate Revenue of US$ 11.3 billion by 2030, Globally - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to 2025: Business Development Strategies and Top Manufacturers Analysis : Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST... - November 12th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Size Analysis: Growth Factors, Share by Regional Production, Revenue and Regional Trends with Key... - November 12th, 2020
- Forma Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Galveston County Daily News - November 12th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - BCFocus - November 12th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- CODA Biotherapeutics Receives Grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) of the National Institutes of Health... - November 12th, 2020
- Brain Development and Disorder Research Receives $1.5 Million NSF Boost - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 7th, 2020
- Many Initiatives Still Too Close to Call in California - Courthouse News Service - November 7th, 2020
- Election 2020: Californias ballot initiative system isnt working. - Vox.com - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Outlooks 2020: Size, Cost Structures, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2027 - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market Research Report by Test Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance... - November 5th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Research and Analysis by Expert: import/export details, Cost Structures and statistics till 2027 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- MorphoSys to Present Data on Tafasitamab at the ASH Virtual Annual Meeting and Exposition - PharmiWeb.com - November 5th, 2020
- The Many Model Systems of COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 5th, 2020
- Soybean Trypsin Inhibitor Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 | Biological Industries, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sigma-Aldrich... - November 5th, 2020
- Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Madison.com - November 3rd, 2020
- A Review of Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson Disease - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 3rd, 2020
- 10 health and science-focused races to watch on election night - STAT - November 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020, Global Research Analysis Report Growth at CAGR Value, Industry Share, Key Company Profiles, Type, Applications,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Research Report 2020 By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles and Demand Forecasts to 2026 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Election Tracker: All The State Ballot Healthcare Initiatives - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Disorders Treatment Market: Advancements in Gene-therapy and Stem-cell Therapy to Bolster Market Growth - BioSpace - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Insights and Development Trends from 2020-2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 3rd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Shows Expected Trend to Guide from 2020-2026 with Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Survival Benefit of GVHD in MDS Is Limited to Specific Patient Subgroup - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Reviews Recent Portfolio Progress and Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Meat-Tech 3D Ltd. Announces Successful $7 Million Funding Round led by Psagot Provident Funds and other leading institutional investors - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size 2020 Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview, Market Share, Revenue, and... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay 2020 GLOBAL OUTLOOK, RESEARCH, TRENDS AND FORECAST TO 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 3rd, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market report delivering growth analysis with key trends top companies and forecast 2027 - KYT24 - November 3rd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market 2020 By Business Opportunity, Innovations, Applications, Upcoming-Trends, Growth-Analysis, Demand-Insight, Segmentation,... - November 3rd, 2020