Patients who are beyond treatment under the standards of conventional medicine often seek help from alternative medical treatments; however, these methods pose not only medical risks for patients, but also legal risks for doctors.
A surgeon with qualifications in vascular, heart and thorax surgery treated seriously ill patients using an innovative method. The patients suffered from morbus Parkinson, multiple sclerosis, various forms of myatrophy and paralysis, traumatic spinal cord injuries, macular degenerations or psychiatric impairments such as autism. All of the patients were beyond treatment under the standards of conventional medicine. The surgeon treated them with stem cell therapy.
First-instance and appeal decisions
In April 2014 the Viennese Administrative Authority fined the surgeon under Section 49(1) of the Act on the Medical Profession for failing to observe patient welfare namely, for not evaluating the side effects and counterindications of using stem cell therapy to treat the abovementioned conditions.
In July 2015 the Viennese Administrative Tribunal(1) partly confirmed this decision. The tribunal ruled that potential health risks cannot be withheld from patients.
Supreme Administrative Court decision
On appeal, the Supreme Administrative Court(2) overruled the Viennese Administrative Tribunal's decision. The court held that the administrative tribunal had accused the surgeon of regularly using autologous stem cell therapy as a new treatment, even though clinical studies had yet to determine its benefits and risks.
According to the court, stem cells fall within the definition of medicinal products under Section 1 of the Medicinal Products Act.(3) The court could therefore revert to the doctrine and precedents on the off-label use of medicinal products. In its view, the tribunal had not shown that the treatment was clearly prohibited. Further, without a prohibition on the off-label use of medicinal products with marketing authorisation, such a prohibition cannot be based on the Medicinal Products Act. Therefore, an infringement of "compliance with existing rules according to sec 49 (1) Act on the Medical Profession" was not obvious.
The use of medicinal products or treatments that have not been clinically evaluated in terms of benefit-risk ratio for certain (new) indications is referred to as 'compassionate use'. The Declaration of Helsinki on ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects states as follows:
Unproven interventions in clinical practice
37. In the treatment of an individual patient, where proven interventions do not exist or other known interventions have been ineffective, the physician, after seeking expert advice, with informed consent from the patient or a legally authorised representative, may use an unproven intervention if in the physician's judgement it offers hope of saving life, re-establishing health or alleviating suffering. This intervention should subsequently be made the object of research, designed to evaluate its safety and efficacy. In all cases, new information must be recorded and, where appropriate, made publicly available.
According to legal literature, compassionate use is a deviation from medical standards in special treatment situations, either because the standard is unhelpful or no standard for the special treatment is available. Unlike clinical studies, it refers to individual cases and not to a clinical sample.
Under Section 49(1) of the Medical Profession Act physicians must observe the rules of medical science; however, these rules are only guidelines with respect to patient welfare insofar as it is possible to go beyond conventional medicine. Therefore, Section 49(1) does not prohibit compassionate use for patients who are beyond therapy under conventional medicine if they are comprehensively informed and the compassionate use makes objective sense.(4)
There is no legal definition of 'compassionate use' and no Supreme Court precedents in this regard. On 13 February 1956 the German Federal Court ruled(5) that a method of treatment is a clinical study and not a compassionate use if the method is applied not primarily in the interests of treating a patient, but in the interest of scientific research. A new method of treatment may be applied if the responsible medical evaluation and comparison of the expected benefits and risks of the new method with the standard treatment under consideration justify its application.(6)
New methods may be used only on patients who are fully informed that said methods imply unknown risks. Further, patients must be able to evaluate and consent to (or not) said risks.(7)
In the case at hand, all of the surgeon's patients were beyond treatment such that, according to the medical standard, no successful cure could be expected at the time of the treatment.
The Viennese Administrative Tribunal failed to establish that the applied treatment had posed a danger to the patients; rather, it stated only that health risks cannot be excluded without clinical studies. The tribunal reproached the applicant for integrating the method of treatment into regular clinical operations. Compassionate use that is legitimate in individual cases becomes illegitimate if it is adopted in regular clinical operations, as it becomes a regular treatment with an unverified method. This further implies that the person administering the treatment has applied it in multiple cases. It is unclear whether the application of a new therapy on a larger number of patients excludes the qualification of the treatment as compassionate use.
Insofar as the Viennese Administrative Tribunal questioned the surgeon's claim to have evaluated the risks of stem cell therapy in each case, the tribunal lacked evidence to evaluate the types of risk that would prohibit compassionate use. Further, the tribunal failed to establish the circumstances and specific patient information that would prohibit compassionate use. Therefore, the Supreme Administrative Court set aside the Viennese Administrative Tribunal's decision.
The Supreme Administrative Court's decision appears to favour a liberal approach to new therapies and compassionate use and enhances the possibilities for developing new therapies and alternative medicines in future. However, patient welfare remains paramount for qualifying a new method as compassionate use.
(2) 24 April 2019, RA 2015/11/0113.
(3) Kopecky, Stammzellenforschung in sterreich, 2008, 269.
(4) Resch and Wallner, Handbuch Medizinrecht (second edition), 2015, 222.
(5) III ZR 175/54.
(6) German Federal Court of Justice, 13 June 2006, VI ZR 323/04.
(7) German Federal Court of Justice, 13 June 2006, VI ZR 323/04 and Federal Court of Justice, 27 March 2007, VI ZR 55/05.
This article was first published by the International Law Office, a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide.Register for a free subscription.
- New human-mouse chimera is the most human yet - Livescience.com - May 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| - Jewish Life News - May 30th, 2020
- The Secret Behind Mike Tysons Transformation Will Shock You! - Essentially Sports - May 30th, 2020
- Research at MDI Biological Laboratory explores novel pathways of regeneration and tumorigenesis - Bangor Daily News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Equipment Market Size By Type, Application, Region and Forecasts, 2026| Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics, Shengjie... - May 30th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Market Research on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 and Analysis to 2028 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Size Analysis and Growth (2020-2025) - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market: Analysis of Prevailing Trends In The Parent Market 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Detailed Analysis 2019-2024: Beckman Coulter, Becton, Dickinson and Company, GE Healthcare, Merck KgaA, Miltenyi Biotec and... - May 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact On Global Stem Cell Concentration System Market 2020 Analysis By Top Key Players | EmCyte, Zimmer Biomet, Argos... - May 30th, 2020
- (2020-2026) Biologics Safety Testing Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic New Report on the Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019-2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic Cell Isolation Technology Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - Jewish Life... - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Expected A Drastic Growth In Stem Cell Banking Market Key Insights Based On Source, Service Type, Application - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: STEM CELL BANKING Market 2020 Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Report - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Slump in Production of Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Amidst Covid-19 Outbreak to Diminish Prospects of Sales - Bulletin... - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Separation Technologies Market to Show Outstanding Growth by 2025 Profiling Global Players Industry... - May 24th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company... - May 24th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Processing Systems Market Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends the COVID-19 - Cole of Duty - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Stem Cell Banking Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with... - May 24th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting In-Depth Cell Separation Market Analysis for 2020 and Beyond - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- HKBU invents nanostructure that stimulates growth of stem cells for Parkinson's disease treatment - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group Announces the Launch of its New Division VITA NOVAS - PR Web - May 22nd, 2020
- Not All Cancer Research Money Is Going Away During COVID University of Chicago Receives $10-million Gift For Cell Therapy - SurvivorNet - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists to study how lungs respond to worm infections - UC Riverside - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growing Demand, Overview and Business Outlook to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market New Investments Expected To Boost The Demand By 2027 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Californians for Stem Cell Research, Treatments & Cures - May 21st, 2020
- UAE Press: In the race to find a COVID-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - WAM EN - May 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Drugs Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- BOOMING NEWS: COVID-19 IMPACT ON Stem Cells Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and... - May 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of... - May 21st, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Growth, Trends and Competitive Landscape | P&S Intelligence - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2019-2023 Cole... - May 21st, 2020
- Warning about stem cell treatments and COVID-19 - 10News - May 20th, 2020
- Research frozen by COVID-19 begins to thaw - The Age - May 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 20th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Tyson, Ronaldo, and more sports stars who use stem cell treatment costing up to 15,000 to speed up healing - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Deals Collection (2010-2020): Access to Headline, Upfront, Milestone and Royalty Data - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2020 Regional Outlook, Latest Trend, Share Analysis, Growth, Application and Forecast to 2027 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Critical window for re-infection with HIV after stem cell transplantation - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Cancer Stem Cell Market Expert Guide to Boost the Industry in Market Share - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 20 - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Cell Isolation Technology Market Growth Opportunity and Industry Revenue Analysis by Major Players, 2019-2026 3w Market... - May 19th, 2020
- 'No silver bullet': Investors cautioned as market surges on vaccine hopes - Sydney Morning Herald - May 19th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Key Players, Outlook and Forecasts Report 2020-2028 - The Billings... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Review Study,Indepth Analysis is Available in Recent Research Report During... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis Focusing on the Key Issues Surrounding the Growth of the Industry and Further Develop Opportunities - Bandera County... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market - Need for Improved Regenerative Medication and Anatomy - BioSpace - May 16th, 2020
- Millions of Mature Human Cells Blood, Eye and Liver Cells Grown In a Mouse Embryo - SciTechDaily - May 16th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID19-Global Mycoplasma Testing Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and ATCC | Technavio... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Qinlock for Patients with Pretreated, Advanced GIST - Curetoday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Forecast Period Between 2020-2026 | Covid-19... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 16th, 2020
- A Method for Assessing the Role of Long Non-protein Coding RNAs - Technology Networks - May 16th, 2020
- One year on, Capricor's stem cell therapy appears to help DMD patients in small study, but investors balk at the data - Endpoints News - May 14th, 2020
- QurAlis Hauls In $42M to Move New ALS Therapies Into Human Testing - Xconomy - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - Express Journal - May 14th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast 2020-2025, Latest Trends and Opportunities - ZZReport - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 14th, 2020
- Proactive and tech-driven approach helps UAE, South Korea's fight against COVID-19 - WAM EN - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020