For the doctors treating the hundreds of patients who are hospitalized for COVID-19 in Virginia, there's no playbook. The disease that has spread rapidly across the world - killing hundreds in the state and more than 200,00 worldwide - has no known treatment, so COVID-19 has presented a unique challenge to the doctors faced with saving lives against a mostly-unknown enemy.
But, in an effort to discover treatments, medical researchers in the state have dropped everything to ramp up experimental clinical trials that many be the patients' best hope of recovery.
When Dr. Antonio Abbate, speaks with patients about the possibility of joining a clinical trial, hes used to standing next to the patients, holding their hands and looking into their eyes.
Joining a clinical trial means he or she is volunteering to receive an experimental treatment that has not been proven to be effective. Abbate,the medical director of the clinical research unit at VCU Medical Center, has to tell them about the possible benefits and risks.
But in the new reality where physical proximity means greater danger for health care workers and patients alike, hes had to get accustomed to having those conversations by video chat.
As of Friday, VCU had enrolled 38 people in trials to test two drugs,remdesivir andsarilumab.
Everybody stopped what they were doing and really focused on [COVID-19], said Dr. F. Gerard Moeller, who chairs the committee at VCU that reviews new clinical trials.
Studies on two experimental drugs were approved in days rather than the usual weeks or months it would usually take, he said.Currently, the trials are only for people whose COVID-19 is serious enough for them to be hospitalized and doctors determine which trial to enroll a patient based on the specifics of the case.
Were not jumping steps, were just working nights and weekends to make things happen, Abbate said, emphasizing the importance of not disregarding safety. I am optimistic that we will have treatments within months. Im just not sure which one it will be.
Remdesivir is an antiviral drug that has not been approved, but has been used experimentally to treat Ebola and tested in animals with other diseases caused by different kinds of coronaviruses. The company that manufactures the drug, Gilead Sciences Inc., announced hopeful results on April 10 that the drug had shown improvement in 68% of a small group of 53 patients with severe complications of COVID-19 treated through a clinical trial.
But the World Health Organization accidentally published findings from a trial that took place in China that found no benefit from the drug, but the findings were inconclusive because the study was ended early, Stat News reported Thursday. Remdesivir is also being tested at clinical trials at HCA Henrico Doctors Hospital and the University of Virginia Medical Center.
Sarilumab is approved for treating rheumatoid arthritis and is focused not on fighting the novel coronavirus directly, but on calming an overactive inflammatory response to the virus that damages the body.
At UVA Medical Center, doctors specializing in infectious disease and critical care began looking at evidence for different potential therapies for COVID-19 before treating their first patient.
We wanted to hit the ground running, said Dr. Patrick Jackson, an infectious disease specialist leading the remdesivir trial at UVA.
Jackson said that many of his patients have been enthusiastic about participating in the clinical trial because they want to be part of the effort to find a treatment for COVID-19 that will help more people down the road. Hes hoping to have some initial results from the trial, which is being run at hospitals across the country lead by the National Institutes of Health.
On Monday, his team will begin the second phase of the trial that will include adding a different drug, baricitinib, which is an anti-inflammatory used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
They also plan to start enrolling patients in additional studies soon, including another effort to reduce the bodys inflammatory response by using adult stem cells.
Another experimental treatment that is taking hold across the world is the use of convalescent plasma, which is taken from the blood of people who have recovered from COVID-19. The plasma contains antibodies that can help the immune system fight of the virus.
Theres been a history of using the plasma of patients who have successfully recovered from a disease, said Dr. Dennis Szurkus, Chief Medical Officer at HCA Henrico Doctors Hospital, which is participating in a study run by the Mayo clinic. Were hoping it will be highly effective.
VCU Medical Center, Bon Secours hospitals and UVA Medical Center are also using the plasma treatment.
But in order for the hospitals to administer this treatment, they need blood donations from people who have recovered from COVID-19 and meet the criteria, which currently include having a positive test for the disease and being symptom free for at least 28 days, or symptom free for at least 14 days and have a negative COVID-19 test.
But as testing shortages have plagued the country, only 10% of the thousands of people who have reached out to the Red Cross hoping to donate over the last month met the eligibility criteria, according to a press release from the American Red Cross Friday.
To help streamline the process, last week, the Food and Drug Administration approved an antibody test that the Red Cross will roll out to screen donated plasma for COVID-19 antibodies. The Red Cross wont be doing antibody testing for the general public. Those wanting to donate can learn more at redcrossblood.org/plasma4covid.
But even as researchers talk about the promise of quickly moving toward potential treatments, theyre careful to warn against disregarding scientific protocol.
You want to do the best thing you can for that patient, said Moeller from VCUs clinical trial committee, explaining a physicians temptation to try out multiple treatments on a patient. At the same time, if you just throw everything at the patient without any evidence, you dont know if what you did helped the patient whether medications can be helpful or harmful without controlled studies, we dont know that.
The FDA has issued a warning against using hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug that President Donald Trump has promoted as a possible treatment for COVID-19, outside of hospital and clinical trial settings because of possible side effects that could impact the heart.
Theres a pressure to get treatments out there -- as there should be, said Jackson, from UVA. But we also risk doing the wrong thing for patients We take very seriously the principal of, first, do no harm. Thats why clinical trials like this are so important.
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Industry Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 13th, 2020
- Radiation to treat pediatric cancers may have lasting impact on heart and metabolic health - Science Codex - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 11th, 2020
- Salles Speaks to the Potential Benefit of the Tafasitamab Combo in the R/R DLBCL Setting - Targeted Oncology - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market: Global Forecast over COVID-19 2024 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ALLO.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of XNCR.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Trends and Highlights - Bulletin Line - August 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: NuVasive, Cytori... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Insights and Business Outlook By Top Players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 29th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - July 29th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 Overall Analysis and Forecast up to the Year 2027 - Sanford Philosopher - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2020
- New Study Offers First Glimpse Into How Widespread COVID-19 Antibodies are in Canada's Adult Population - Canada NewsWire - July 24th, 2020
- US regulations for regenerative medicine advanced therapies - Regulatory Focus - July 24th, 2020
- Scientists discovered the real reason behind goosebumps - Tech Explorist - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- New study offers first glimpse into how widespread COVID-19 antibodies are in Canada's adult population - McGill Newsroom - July 23rd, 2020
- Data Shows Direct Link Between COVID-19 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) In Infected P - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The global cell expansion market size is estimated to be USD 14.9 billion in 2020 and projected to reach USD 30.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.1%... - July 22nd, 2020
- Charles Darwin Investigated Goosebumps Now Harvard Scientists Discover the Real Reason Behind Them - SciTechDaily - July 21st, 2020
- Higher Steaks Creates World's First Lab-Grown Bacon and Pork Belly - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 19th, 2020
- Local scientists create 'mini livers' to trial therapies for liver diseases - The Straits Times - July 17th, 2020
- Can banking your stem cells prevent aging? | Well+Good - July 16th, 2020
- Expected Growth In Stem Cells Market from 2020-2026 to Guide : Trends, Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- The Baxter Foundation supports USC research on epilepsy and lung injury - USC News - July 16th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story Leukemia | BRMS - July 16th, 2020
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 15th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Outlook With Key Player, Regions, CAGR of 12.2%, and Specification, Cost Analysis, Price and Gross Margin by... - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis | Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2026 Forecasts - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- Cortical Bone Derived Stem Cells Modulate Cardiac Fibroblast Response via miR-18a in the Heart After Injury - DocWire News - July 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banking in Bulgaria: problems of control and continuing insurance - Lexology - July 13th, 2020
- 13 promising Covid-19 treatments emerging from Israel - The Yucatan Times - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Outlook, Opportunity and Demand Analysis, Forecast 2020-2027|-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company. Holostem... - July 10th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market 2020 Global Analysis, Size, Growth, Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Leading Players, Merger, Acquisition, Opportunity, With Regional... - July 10th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Growth in Sales of Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Push Revenue Growth in the Market - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Plasma therapy vs stem cell therapy, what's the difference? - Gulf News - June 29th, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 29th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - Yahoo Finance - June 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Stem Cells Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2019-2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 26th, 2020
- Nuclear softening expedites interstitial cell migration in fibrous networks and dense connective tissues - Science Advances - June 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 20th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Presents Findings from Phase 1 Zella 101 Clinical Study Evaluating Investigational Agent Alvocidib in Patients with Newly... - June 16th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Having a good level of vitamin D may reduce the risk of certain cancers - Yahoo Singapore News - June 11th, 2020
- Major skin cancer research study to begin at The Hormel Institute - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Transforming the spleen into a liver-like organ in vivo - Science Advances - June 11th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 7th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and forecasts to | 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with... - June 5th, 2020
- Follica Announces Positive Feedback From End of Phase 2 Meeting With FDA for Its Lead Program to Treat Male Androgenetic Alopecia - Business Wire - June 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - MarketBeat - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2017-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 2nd, 2020
- What It's Like to Grow a 'Mini-Brain' From Your Own Cells - Discover Magazine - May 25th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 25th, 2020
- Newborn in Japan receives first treatment with liver STEM cells - ZME Science - May 23rd, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells Market with Coronavirus (Covid-19) Impact Analysis | Industry Strong Development By Major Eminent Players, New Innovations, Key... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Component, By Enterprise Size, By End... - May 16th, 2020
- The RNA binding protein CPEB2 regulates hormone sensing in mammary gland development and luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Market Developments and Analysis (impact of Covid-19) 2020-2026 - Herald Writeup - May 15th, 2020
- Takeda Pharmaceutical : China announces ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) is approved for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive Lymphomas -... - May 15th, 2020
- New Data for Investigational CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Oral Presentation at the 25th European... - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- Little Skates Could Hold the Key to Cartilage Therapy in Humans - Technology Networks - May 14th, 2020