Everyone has heard of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Today I present my verdict on seven wonder discoveries in biological research, listed in rough chronological order.
Wonder 1: Cell TheoryCell theory, formulated in 1839, made three assertions: (a) All organisms are composed of basic units called cells; (b) The cell is the basic unit of structure and organisation in all living organisms; (c) New cells arise only from pre-existing cells.
Cell theory rationalised basic biology and contradicted the common notion that life can arise spontaneously from non-living matter.
Wonder 2: The Theory of Evolution Through Natural Selection.This is the most significant-ever insight into biology and was jointly proposed in 1858 by Charles Darwin (1809-1882) and Alfred Russell Wallace (1823-1913). It was already known that life on earth changes over long time periods. The theory of evolution explained the mechanism underpinning these changes natural selection. This theory draws all biology together into one unified framework. In its absence, biology would be reduced to a vast catalogue of unrelated observations.
Wonder 3: The Chemistry of LifeLife, unlike mechanical machines, works close to room temperature and without the assistance of significant temperature or pressure gradients. How then do cells grow, divide and create local order in a world that otherwise moves towards increasing disorder? This question was answered by biochemistry the chemistry of life.
A living cell is the end product of co-ordinated reactions between its innumerable chemical constituents metabolism. These reactions must proceed fast enough at room temperature to sustain life, and this is enabled by protein catalysts called enzymes, discovered in the 1800s. Cell metabolism is driven by energy, ultimately supplied by sunlight.
Wonder 4: Antibiotics and VaccinationsAntibiotics, discovered in 1928, are used to kill pathogenic microbes, and vaccination to provide immunity against disease has been in widespread use since 1900. Vaccination has eliminated many deadly diseases, including smallpox and polio.
Average life expectancy in 1900 was 50 years; today that figure is 82 years. Antibiotics and immunisation are one significant cause of this improvement. If we lost antibiotics and vaccinations today, life expectancy would gradually revert to 50-60 years.
Wonder 5: Discovering the Structure of DNAFaithful inheritance of parental characteristics by offspring is essential for biological evolution. The nature of the cells hereditary material was identified as nucleic acid (DNA) in 1944. In 1953, James Watson (born in 1928) and Francis Crick (1916-2004) made the greatest biological discovery of the 20th century when they solved the structure of DNA, a discovery that also indicated how DNA replicates and transmits genetic information from generation to generation.
DNA is a long molecule made of four sub-units A,T,G,C. Genetic information is encoded in the linear sequence (genes) of these subunits, dictating the structure/activity of all cell proteins, including all enzymes, thereby controlling the activities of the cell. Understanding DNA unlocked the secret of the molecular logic of life.
Wonder 6: CloningEvery animal body cell, including cells of the early embryo, contains a full set of the animals genes. Therefore, inducing any body cell into developing as embryonic cells develop should produce a genetic copy of the animal a clone. In 1996 Dolly the sheep was cloned in this manner.
Cloning offers many huge potential benefits, eg cloning animals, genetically modified to secrete a human hormone, to produce herds secreting large quantities of the hormone for use by patients deficient in the hormone. Cloning could also rebuild endangered animal populations or revive extinct animals.
Wonder 7: Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsThe human body is composed of over 200 tissues/organs skin, liver etc. Each tissue cell is differentiated to do a particular job. But all tissue cells develop from embryonic undifferentiated pluripotent stem cells.
In 2006 Shinya Yamanaka discovered how to transform differentiated body cells into pluripotent stem cells. These induced pluripotent stem cells (IPSC) can be coaxed to develop into specific adult tissues.
IPSCs have huge potential in many areas, eg regenerative medicine. New organs could be grown from patients own IPSCs to replace failing organs and without fear of immune rejection.
IPSCs are extremely useful for many research purposes, eg testing new drugs, and can substitute for stem cells extracted from human embryos, thereby avoiding ethical problems.
William Reville is an emeritus professor of biochemistry at UCC
Read the original here:
Story of life: Seven wonders of biological research - The Irish Times
- Brenner and Rector's The Kidney, 2-Volume Set. Edition No. 11 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Associated Press - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to a Revenue Opportunity of US$270.5 bn During the Period from 2025 - News Description - December 6th, 2019
- Stem cell Therapy Market 2019-2027| Business Scope and Investment Analysis By MEDIPOST, PHARMICELL Co., Ltd, Holostem Terapie Avanzate Srl, Mesoblast... - December 6th, 2019
- Cutting Through the Headlines: Are Scientists Really Growing Sentient "Mini-brains"? - Technology Networks - December 6th, 2019
- Year in Review: Respiratory Infection - MedPage Today - December 6th, 2019
- Whats Happening: IDF Shabbat of Heroes, Sephardic Papers - Jewish Journal - December 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breaking News Updates - December 5th, 2019
- Marine Coatings Market is Anticipated to Register a Value of XX Million by the end of 2017 - 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market 2019 | What Will Be the Market Size and the Growth Rate Analysis by 2026? - Hitz Dairies - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Register a Healthy CAGR of 13.8% During the Period from 2017 to 2025 - Statsflash - December 3rd, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - BioSpace - November 28th, 2019
- Inside the Beltway: Abortion, immigration among forbidden topics at Thanksgiving table - Washington Times - November 28th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Value Projected to Expand by 2026 - The Hilltop Monitor - November 28th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Info - November 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Growth, Future Prospects, Competitive Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - Med News Ledger - November 28th, 2019
- Lulu and Nana are the result of a defiant experiment in human gene modification - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2019
- Types of Adult Stem Cells - Stem Cell Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Adult Leukemia: What You Need to Know - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Hatching disease in a dish: The new frontier in drug testing - Maclean's - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with woman whose life he saved through stem cell donation - Bedford Today - November 26th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - GlobeNewswire - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with stem cell recipient - Cranfield and Marston Vale Chronicle - November 26th, 2019
- Keeping cells alive | Interviews - The Naked Scientists - November 26th, 2019
- Dana-Farber joins with leading Boston teaching hospitals and universities - Mirage News - November 26th, 2019
- Applying AI and CRISPR to stem cells to improve regenerative medicine - FierceBiotech - November 20th, 2019
- Decoding the building blocks of life: bit bio races toward a sustainable source of human cells - Proactive Investors UK - November 20th, 2019
- 1st SCD Trial Patient Shows CTX001 Gene Editing to be Safe, Effective - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 20th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - BioSpace - November 20th, 2019
- Novocure Announces 43 Presentations on Tumor Treating Fields at 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology - Arizona Daily Star - November 20th, 2019
- Maltese abroad: the best-selling author with roots in Gozo - Times of Malta - November 20th, 2019
- Early Results Are Positive for Experimental CRISPR Therapies - The Scientist - November 19th, 2019
- CHMP recommends EMA approval of polatuzumab vedotin for the treatment of adult patients with R/R DLBCL - Lymphoma Hub - November 19th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - PRNewswire - November 19th, 2019
- Redding woman donates bone marrow, saves life of a father - FOX61 Hartford - November 16th, 2019
- Maxim Group Maintains Their Buy Rating on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) - Smarter Analyst - November 16th, 2019
- How 3D Printing Is Turning Each And Every Industry On Its Head - SafeHaven.com - November 16th, 2019
- BIORESTORATIVE THERAPIES, INC. (OTCMKTS:BRTX) Files An 8-K Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders - Market Exclusive - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cell Expansion Market 2019 is predicted to reach an excellent valuation of by 2024 - Galus Australis - November 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market is Growing Massively in Upcoming Year with Top Key Players like GE Healthcare, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 15th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant: What it is, uses, risks, and recovery - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- The Demand of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2019 Future Growth, Demand, Application, Trends, Vendor Landscape, Industry Insight,... - November 15th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Research Grant Award From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2019 and Provides a Corporate Update - GlobeNewswire - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Ralph Kern MD MHSc to Present at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- iCell Gene Therapeutics Announces CAR-T Oral and Poster Presentations at 61st American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Send2Press Newswire - November 14th, 2019
- Contrasting BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 14th, 2019
- Phase 3 Trial of NINLAROTM (ixazomib) as First Line Maintenance Therapy Met Primary Endpoint in Multiple Myeloma Patients not treated with Stem Cell... - November 12th, 2019
- Army veteran to save woman with blood cancer through stem cell donation - Stoke-on-Trent Live - November 12th, 2019
- Financial Contrast: BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 12th, 2019
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - November 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Secondary Research With Geron Corporation, Vericel Corporation, Pluristem Therapeutics, Cytori Therapeutics, Fate... - October 29th, 2019
- Huntington's Marked by Inflammation and Changes in Brain's Striatum Before Symptoms, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 29th, 2019
- In 2030, Our Protein Will Come From a Laband We'll All Be Better Off For It - Singularity Hub - October 28th, 2019
- NASA plans to cut cost of space exploration by commercializing low-earth orbit - Digital Trends - October 27th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the Dawson James Securities 5th Annual Small Cap Growth Conference - BioSpace - October 27th, 2019
- Artificial Early Mouse Embryos Created In The Lab Using Stems Cells Rather Than Sperm Or Eggs - IFLScience - October 21st, 2019
- Healthcare Terms Are Out of Touch, Says Mom Advocate - Medscape - October 21st, 2019
- A stop-motion movie of the whole brain, starring new neurons - Spectrum - October 21st, 2019
- Humans evolved to think faster by slowing down brain development - New Scientist News - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market was valued at $1986 million in 2016 - Markets Gazette - October 19th, 2019
- Republicans demand answers about government experiments with animals and fetal tissue - Washington Examiner - October 17th, 2019
- The Other Side of Stem Cell Research - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - October 17th, 2019
- Reviewing MediciNova Inc. (MNOV)'s and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:BCLI)'s results - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- SI-BONE Inc. (SIBN) and Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL) Comparing side by side - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Inherited Learning? It Happens, but How Is Uncertain - Quanta Magazine - October 17th, 2019
- Contrasting of Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (BCLI) and Magenta Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:MGTA) - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to Gain Huge Traction Owing to Arrival of New-Fangled Treatments for Long-Lasting Sicknesses Till 2025 | Million Insights - P&T... - October 7th, 2019
- New Tools in the Works to Probe Adult Human Neurogenesis - The Scientist - October 7th, 2019
- Follow the lead of Aston Villa players and become a blood stem cell donor - 7500 To Holte - October 7th, 2019
- Starving Cancer by Cutting Off Its Favorite Foods, Glucose and Glutamine - American Council on Science and Health - October 6th, 2019
- We're making tiny brains in the lab should we be worried for them? - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2019
- Female Scientist To Lead Advanced Cancer Research Project In Space - SheThePeople - October 6th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at 27th Annual Meeting of the European Orthopaedic... - October 4th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, 2019-2030 : Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication and Competitive Landscape - Space Market Research - October 4th, 2019
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone for Frontline Multiple... - September 27th, 2019
- The unexpected functional diversity of reactive astrocytes - Baylor College of Medicine News - September 27th, 2019
- Troy resident 'gets it done' with ground-breaking treatment - Troy Daily News - September 27th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Overview by Industry Chain Information, Upstream Raw Materials & Downstream Industry 2017 2025 - Herald Space - September 27th, 2019