Massive inflammation and other changes in the striatum, an area of the brain selectively destroyed in Huntingtons disease (HD), are already present before patients develop any symptoms, a study has found.
These findings could help understand how the disease unravels and why this brain region is particularly sensitive to degeneration in individuals with Huntingtons.
The study, The caudate nucleus undergoes dramatic and unique transcriptional changes in human prodromal Huntingtons disease brain, was published in the journal BMC Medical Genomics.
Huntingtons is a neurodegenerative disease caused by mutations in the huntingtin(HTT) gene and marked by trouble in controlling movement, a progressive loss of thinking ability, and psychiatric problems.
Symptoms, which typically begin when people reach their 30s and 40s, stem from a selective degeneration of certain brain regions, particularly two areas: the basal ganglia, a region deep in the brain thats responsible for functions including movement coordination; and the cortex, the outer and highly twisted layer of the brain which controls thought, behavior, and memory.
Within the basal ganglia, HD targets nerve cells (neurons) of the striatum, especially in two areas known as the caudate nuclei and putamen. These regions can shrink and suffer massive damage as a result of disease progression.
Very little is known about the active disease processes leading to such debilitating symptoms. Obtaining post-mortem brain samples from people with disease-causing mutations who have not yet developed symptoms in other words, still have a largely intact striatum is very rare.
Researchers atBoston University School of Medicine (BUSM) had the opportunity to analyze samples from the striatum more precisely, the caudate nucleus of two HD-positive individuals who had no symptoms at the time of their death.
To pinpoint early drivers of disease, the team compared the activity (expression) of genes those turned on and turned off in the caudate nucleus of these asymptomatic individuals to the prefrontal cortex of 26 symptomatic Huntingtons patients and 56 healthy controls.
Researchers used a high throughput sequencing technology called RNA-Seq to determine gene expression profiles, and a preformed bioinformatics analysis to understand which genes and biological processes were altered.
Our data suggest that the striatum experiences massive inflammation in HD even before symptoms appear, and exhibits a similar gene expression pattern to that observed in prefrontal cortex. Patterns unique to the striatum are also observed, Adam Labadorf, PhD, director of BUs Bioinformatics Nexusand the studys senior author,said in a news release.
In addition to extensive inflammatory processes, the data also suggested that over the diseases course, the striatum undergoes some form of neurogenesis, or the generation of new nerve cells.
While these are only trends that warrant further investigation, researchers propose that active production of neurons could be happening in the striatum during the prodromal phase (before symptom onset) to compensate for the nerve cell loss that precedes symptoms.
The idea that active neurogenesis occurs in the adult brain is controversial, but could lead to exciting discoveries into the innate regenerative capabilities of the central nervous system, Labadorf said.
According to researchers, these findings provide clear evidence that the caudate nucleus is strongly affected in people positive for Huntington disease, before the emergence of any symptoms.
This study presents the most detailed analysis to date of the active disease process in the primarily affected brain region of HD, and although these results do not directly suggest any novel therapies, a better understanding of these processes is likely to lead to them, Labadorfadded.
An important observation was that some genes, like HSPA6, were perturbed across all HD patient samples relative to healthy brains. This set of genes may provide an opportunity to develop prognostic tests for disease progression, the researchers noted.
A robust clinical test measuring disease progression will likely take the form of a panel of key inflammatory and possibly developmental genes measured in the blood or cerebrospinal fluid (the liquid surrounding the brain and spinal cord), they wrote.
Ana is a molecular biologist enthusiastic about innovation and communication. In her role as a science writer she wishes to bring the advances in medical science and technology closer to the public, particularly to those most in need of them. Ana holds a PhD in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Lisbon, Portugal, where she focused her research on molecular biology, epigenetics and infectious diseases.
Total Posts: 79
Ana holds a PhD in Immunology from the University of Lisbon and worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM) in Lisbon, Portugal. She graduated with a BSc in Genetics from the University of Newcastle and received a Masters in Biomolecular Archaeology from the University of Manchester, England. After leaving the lab to pursue a career in Science Communication, she served as the Director of Science Communication at iMM.
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Notice of Allowance for a New Patent Application Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program -... - April 4th, 2021
- Transplant After CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Durable Disease Control in Children, Young Adults With B-ALL - Cancer Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Changing Dynamics Of Competition With Forecast To 2030 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Reveals Enhanced Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 FLA News - FLA News - March 8th, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Size, Share, Global Industry Overview, Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2024 (Effect of the COVID-19... - February 17th, 2021
- Be The Match encourages people of color to join bone marrow registry - KING5.com - February 17th, 2021
- Discovery for turning on cell repair in tissues and organs - Monash University - February 17th, 2021
- Manageable Safety Profile Observed in Phase 1 Studies Examining UCART19 for Pediatric and Adult Patients with B-Cell ALL - Cancer Network - February 11th, 2021
- The Very First Signs of an Immune Response Have Been Filmed in a Developing Embryo - ScienceAlert - February 11th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Fludarabine is Safe and Effective for Patients with MRD+ AML/MDS - Cancer Network - February 9th, 2021
- Creative Bioarray Offers Stem Cell Lines Generation Service for Promoting Scientific Research - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Chemotherpy Demonstrates Efficacy and Safety in MRD+ AML/MDS - Targeted Oncology - February 9th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market Value to Reach Around USD 17.79 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Adult Stem Cells Market Revenue To Witness Humongous Elevation By 2026 Market Research Store Jumbo News - Jumbo News - February 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Score Past US$ 40.3 Billion Valuation by 2027: At a CAGR of 21.1% KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 2nd, 2021
- Reduced Adult Neurogenesis Linked with Alzheimers Disease - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine (Bone and Joint) Market to Score Past US$ 14990.0 Million Valuation by 2027: CMI KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 2nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Size to Witness A Lucrative Growth Over 2020-2027 | Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - February 2nd, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Demand, Growth Challenges, Industry Analysis And Forecasts To 2026 | Epistem Ltd.,Globalstem,Mesoblast Ltd.,Brainstorm Cell... - February 2nd, 2021
- ToolGen ties up with 3D bioprinting company to apply induced pluripotent stem cells to gene correction - Aju Business Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Medicine by Design researchers focus on promoting self-repair of the brain - News@UofT - January 31st, 2021
- Should You Buy Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc (BCLI) Stock on Tuesday? - InvestorsObserver - January 31st, 2021
- Eye stem cell transplant to treat blindness bolsters retinal function in monkeys - FierceBiotech - January 14th, 2021
- Induction of muscle-regenerative multipotent stem cells from human adipocytes by PDGF-AB and 5-azacytidine - Science Advances - January 14th, 2021
- RoosterBio Partners with Sartorius to Advance Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - GlobeNewswire - January 14th, 2021
- Reversing The Aging Clock With Epigenetic Reprogramming - Bio-IT World - January 14th, 2021
- New Models in Organoids Market Open New Vistas in Stem Cell Research for Cancer, Global Valuation to Reach US$ 12.8 Bn by 2030: TMR - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Health Canada Approves ONUREG (azacitidine tablets), First Maintenance Therapy for Patients in Remission from Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Canada NewsWire - January 12th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2026| Covid-19 Impact - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- The real reason behind goosebumps - Jill Lopez - January 3rd, 2021
- Synthetic lethality across normal tissues is strongly associated with cancer risk, onset, and tumor suppressor specificity - Science Advances - January 3rd, 2021
- New Approaches to the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - January 3rd, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapies Are Set to Expand Into More Hematologic Malignancy Indications - Targeted Oncology - December 26th, 2020
- ElevateBio's HighPassBio Presents on Novel T Cell Receptor Cell Therapy for Leukemia Relapse at 62nd Annual ASH Meeting - Business Wire - December 6th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- Multiple sclerosis iPS-derived oligodendroglia conserve their properties to functionally interact with axons and glia in vivo - Science Advances - December 6th, 2020
- UCART22 Safe and Active in CD22-Expressing B-Cell ALLs - Targeted Oncology - December 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Functionally distinct resident macrophage subsets differentially shape responses to infection in the bladder - Science Advances - November 25th, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization Other OTC:BRTX - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Jakafi and Dacogen May Improve Overall Survival in Patients with MPN - Curetoday.com - November 20th, 2020
- BRTX-100; the Story of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTX) - MicroCap Daily - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 16th, 2020
- Organoids mimic the early development of the heart in mouse embryos - BioNews - November 16th, 2020
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells do not express ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and are not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Cynata Therapeutics (ASX:CYP) begins phase three osteoarthritis trial - The Market Herald - November 16th, 2020
- $ 30.1 billion Worth Cell Expansion Market, Led by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT and Others. re:Jerusalem -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Advanced Wound Care Management Market : Implications on Business Strategies, Countermeasures, Economic Impact - The Think... - November 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Growing with Highest Size, Share of Top Key Players in the Industry and Forecast Survey Till 2024 - Zenit News - October 30th, 2020
- Somatic Mutations in UBA1 and Severe Adult-Onset Autoinflammatory Disease - DocWire News - October 30th, 2020
- JadiCell Stem Cells Licensed by Therapeutic Solutions International for Brain Injury Significantly Increased Survival of COVID-19 Patients in Double... - October 29th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Adult Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- APstem Therapeutics Announces Successful FDA INTERACT Meeting Regarding AP-Skin-01, an Off-the-Shelf Allogeneic Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of... - October 29th, 2020
- Why Small Businesses Matter in Wilton (Reimagined): Interventional Orthopedics Connecticut - HamletHub - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Future Development, Manufacturers, Trends, Share, Size And Forecast to 2027 |... - October 29th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market a comprehensive study by key players- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT, Merck KGaA and... - October 24th, 2020
- Genmab Announces IFM, HOVON and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results in Second Part of Phase 3 CASSIOPEIA Study of Daratumumab in Multiple Myeloma... - October 24th, 2020
- What Is the Role of Allogeneic-SCT in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in the Era of Targeted Therapies? - Targeted Oncology - October 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid-19 updated report), Trends, Top Manufacturers, Exponential Growth and Forecast 2020 to 2027 By Reportspedia -... - October 17th, 2020
- Was Trump's Regeneron 'Cure' Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissues? - Snopes.com - October 13th, 2020
- The complicated story of Trump's COVID treatment, stem cells and abortion politics - Baptist News Global - October 13th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- Human heart organoids provide unmatched insight into cardiac disease and dysfunction - BioWorld Online - October 13th, 2020
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America and Aruvant Sciences Forge New Partnership to Educate Around Gene Therapy - Herald-Mail Media - October 13th, 2020
- Q Stock; The Rise of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - October 8th, 2020
- A Uniquely Patient-Focused Take on Treating AML in Older Adults - Medscape - October 8th, 2020
- Dust off the crystal ball: It's time for STAT's 2020 Nobel Prize predictions - STAT - October 3rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Third Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Upd - PharmiWeb.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018-2023 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Exponential Rise in Revenue Share During the Forecast Period - Lake Shore Gazette - September 7th, 2020
- Keeping kids and adults alike healthy with Colostrum - North Coast Courier - September 4th, 2020
- Newly discovered molecule could play key role in treating osteoarthritis - Irish Examiner - September 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid 19 Impact) Research Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2025 - TC BizNews - September 4th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 21st, 2020
- Steadman Philippon Research Institute (SPRI) Receives Multi-Million-Dollar Matching Grant from the National Institutes of Health - GlobeNewswire - August 21st, 2020
- Worldwide Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) Market Insights, Epidemiology and Forecast - 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 21st, 2020