Cancer cells are to be transported into space to see if weightlessness can stop their growth, in one of nine research projects destined for the new China Space Station (CSS) in 2022.
Upon completion, the CSS will include a cancer research project called Tumours in Space, headed by a Canadian researcher based in Norway. The project will examine the roles of both microgravity and cosmic radiation in tumour growth and development. The project is one of just nine selected by the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) and the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) under their programme to provide scientists from all over the world with the opportunity to fly experiments on the CSS.
The plan is to send three-dimensional stem cell organoids from both healthy and cancer tissue from the same person into space. Here we will study mutations and look at how the cells DNA is affected by weightlessness and cosmic radiation, said the projects principal investigator Tricia L. Larose.
The experiment will rely on three-dimensional cancerous tumours, called organoids. These organoids are grown from adult human stem cells, which are a kind of cell that can divide indefinitely and create different types of cells in doing so. Researchers have perfected their ability to grow organoids so they actually form tiny structures that mimic different organs. Larose theorises that the cancer organoid growth will slow or stop when they are not affected by Earths gravity. Previous research on two-dimensional cells has shown that weightlessness has an influence on gene expression linked to tumour development.
When we look at mutational signatures in cancer cells, there is a lot of noise. The noise is something we simply do not know a lot about, she said. Part of my experimental process is identifying new causes of that noise, and some of that might be gravity
Her theory is that some of the unknown noise in the cancer cells is there as a result of gravity. Since both healthy cells and cells with cancer are affected by gravity, the researchers should be able to detect this in the fingerprints in all our cells.
Im looking for the molecular fingerprint for the gravitational force, she said; this could help explain the meaning of some of the noise in the cancer cells.
She added that the mutational signature of gravity has never been studied or even proposed as a concept. The experiment will also test how cosmic radiation affects the DNA of the healthy organoids and whether this leads to mutations and cancer. The various causes of cancer, such as smoking, UV radiation and ionizing radiation, also leave mutational signatures. Identifying mutational signatures from cancer-causing exposures can be used for risk prediction, eventually leading to better diagnostics and therapeutics.
My ground-based research with ionising radiation will also help us understand the side effects of radiation therapy for cancer patients on Earth, she said.
The studies of cosmic radiation will also help with understanding the cancer risk for astronauts on long-duration missions in the space station, or longer journeys, such as to Mars.
The biggest challenge with human spaceflight and exploration for long-duration missions to Mars and beyond, is the cancer risk for crew due to exposure of cosmic radiation. By identifying the mutational signature of cosmic radiation and comparing that to the known signature of ionising radiation, we may be better able to predict risk and protect crew on a long-duration space mission Larose said.
It is thought that astronauts on a mission to Mars would be exposed to at least 60 per cent of the total radiation dose limit recommended for their career during the journey alone to and from the Red Planet.
Sign up to the E&T News e-mail to get great stories like this delivered to your inbox every day.
- Brenner and Rector's The Kidney, 2-Volume Set. Edition No. 11 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Associated Press - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to a Revenue Opportunity of US$270.5 bn During the Period from 2025 - News Description - December 6th, 2019
- Stem cell Therapy Market 2019-2027| Business Scope and Investment Analysis By MEDIPOST, PHARMICELL Co., Ltd, Holostem Terapie Avanzate Srl, Mesoblast... - December 6th, 2019
- Cutting Through the Headlines: Are Scientists Really Growing Sentient "Mini-brains"? - Technology Networks - December 6th, 2019
- Year in Review: Respiratory Infection - MedPage Today - December 6th, 2019
- Whats Happening: IDF Shabbat of Heroes, Sephardic Papers - Jewish Journal - December 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breaking News Updates - December 5th, 2019
- Marine Coatings Market is Anticipated to Register a Value of XX Million by the end of 2017 - 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market 2019 | What Will Be the Market Size and the Growth Rate Analysis by 2026? - Hitz Dairies - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Register a Healthy CAGR of 13.8% During the Period from 2017 to 2025 - Statsflash - December 3rd, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - BioSpace - November 28th, 2019
- Inside the Beltway: Abortion, immigration among forbidden topics at Thanksgiving table - Washington Times - November 28th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Value Projected to Expand by 2026 - The Hilltop Monitor - November 28th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Info - November 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Growth, Future Prospects, Competitive Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - Med News Ledger - November 28th, 2019
- Lulu and Nana are the result of a defiant experiment in human gene modification - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2019
- Types of Adult Stem Cells - Stem Cell Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Adult Leukemia: What You Need to Know - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Hatching disease in a dish: The new frontier in drug testing - Maclean's - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with woman whose life he saved through stem cell donation - Bedford Today - November 26th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - GlobeNewswire - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with stem cell recipient - Cranfield and Marston Vale Chronicle - November 26th, 2019
- Keeping cells alive | Interviews - The Naked Scientists - November 26th, 2019
- Dana-Farber joins with leading Boston teaching hospitals and universities - Mirage News - November 26th, 2019
- Applying AI and CRISPR to stem cells to improve regenerative medicine - FierceBiotech - November 20th, 2019
- Decoding the building blocks of life: bit bio races toward a sustainable source of human cells - Proactive Investors UK - November 20th, 2019
- 1st SCD Trial Patient Shows CTX001 Gene Editing to be Safe, Effective - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 20th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - BioSpace - November 20th, 2019
- Novocure Announces 43 Presentations on Tumor Treating Fields at 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology - Arizona Daily Star - November 20th, 2019
- Maltese abroad: the best-selling author with roots in Gozo - Times of Malta - November 20th, 2019
- Early Results Are Positive for Experimental CRISPR Therapies - The Scientist - November 19th, 2019
- CHMP recommends EMA approval of polatuzumab vedotin for the treatment of adult patients with R/R DLBCL - Lymphoma Hub - November 19th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - PRNewswire - November 19th, 2019
- Redding woman donates bone marrow, saves life of a father - FOX61 Hartford - November 16th, 2019
- Maxim Group Maintains Their Buy Rating on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) - Smarter Analyst - November 16th, 2019
- How 3D Printing Is Turning Each And Every Industry On Its Head - SafeHaven.com - November 16th, 2019
- BIORESTORATIVE THERAPIES, INC. (OTCMKTS:BRTX) Files An 8-K Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders - Market Exclusive - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cell Expansion Market 2019 is predicted to reach an excellent valuation of by 2024 - Galus Australis - November 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market is Growing Massively in Upcoming Year with Top Key Players like GE Healthcare, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 15th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant: What it is, uses, risks, and recovery - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- The Demand of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2019 Future Growth, Demand, Application, Trends, Vendor Landscape, Industry Insight,... - November 15th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Research Grant Award From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2019 and Provides a Corporate Update - GlobeNewswire - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Ralph Kern MD MHSc to Present at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- iCell Gene Therapeutics Announces CAR-T Oral and Poster Presentations at 61st American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Send2Press Newswire - November 14th, 2019
- Contrasting BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 14th, 2019
- Phase 3 Trial of NINLAROTM (ixazomib) as First Line Maintenance Therapy Met Primary Endpoint in Multiple Myeloma Patients not treated with Stem Cell... - November 12th, 2019
- Army veteran to save woman with blood cancer through stem cell donation - Stoke-on-Trent Live - November 12th, 2019
- Financial Contrast: BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 12th, 2019
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - November 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Secondary Research With Geron Corporation, Vericel Corporation, Pluristem Therapeutics, Cytori Therapeutics, Fate... - October 29th, 2019
- Huntington's Marked by Inflammation and Changes in Brain's Striatum Before Symptoms, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 29th, 2019
- In 2030, Our Protein Will Come From a Laband We'll All Be Better Off For It - Singularity Hub - October 28th, 2019
- NASA plans to cut cost of space exploration by commercializing low-earth orbit - Digital Trends - October 27th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the Dawson James Securities 5th Annual Small Cap Growth Conference - BioSpace - October 27th, 2019
- Artificial Early Mouse Embryos Created In The Lab Using Stems Cells Rather Than Sperm Or Eggs - IFLScience - October 21st, 2019
- Healthcare Terms Are Out of Touch, Says Mom Advocate - Medscape - October 21st, 2019
- A stop-motion movie of the whole brain, starring new neurons - Spectrum - October 21st, 2019
- Humans evolved to think faster by slowing down brain development - New Scientist News - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market was valued at $1986 million in 2016 - Markets Gazette - October 19th, 2019
- Republicans demand answers about government experiments with animals and fetal tissue - Washington Examiner - October 17th, 2019
- The Other Side of Stem Cell Research - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - October 17th, 2019
- Reviewing MediciNova Inc. (MNOV)'s and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:BCLI)'s results - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- SI-BONE Inc. (SIBN) and Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL) Comparing side by side - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Inherited Learning? It Happens, but How Is Uncertain - Quanta Magazine - October 17th, 2019
- Contrasting of Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (BCLI) and Magenta Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:MGTA) - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to Gain Huge Traction Owing to Arrival of New-Fangled Treatments for Long-Lasting Sicknesses Till 2025 | Million Insights - P&T... - October 7th, 2019
- New Tools in the Works to Probe Adult Human Neurogenesis - The Scientist - October 7th, 2019
- Follow the lead of Aston Villa players and become a blood stem cell donor - 7500 To Holte - October 7th, 2019
- Starving Cancer by Cutting Off Its Favorite Foods, Glucose and Glutamine - American Council on Science and Health - October 6th, 2019
- We're making tiny brains in the lab should we be worried for them? - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2019
- Female Scientist To Lead Advanced Cancer Research Project In Space - SheThePeople - October 6th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at 27th Annual Meeting of the European Orthopaedic... - October 4th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, 2019-2030 : Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication and Competitive Landscape - Space Market Research - October 4th, 2019
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone for Frontline Multiple... - September 27th, 2019
- The unexpected functional diversity of reactive astrocytes - Baylor College of Medicine News - September 27th, 2019
- Troy resident 'gets it done' with ground-breaking treatment - Troy Daily News - September 27th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Overview by Industry Chain Information, Upstream Raw Materials & Downstream Industry 2017 2025 - Herald Space - September 27th, 2019
- Stem cells regrow long bones - WNDU-TV - September 20th, 2019