The Broad Foundation brings together stem cell scientists, engineers and physicians at USC and beyond
Developing new stem cell therapies requires more than a solo biologist having a eureka moment alone in the lab. Real progress relies on collaborations between biologists, engineers and physicians. Thats why The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation has continued its support of two strategic initiatives: innovation awards bringing together teams of engineers and scientists from USC and Caltech, and clinical research fellowships for physician-scientists.
Engineering new approaches: The Broad Innovation Awards
For the fifth consecutive year, the Broad Innovation Awards are providing critical funding to USC-affiliated faculty members pursuing multi-investigator research collaborations related to stem cells. For the first year, these collaborations are also drawing on the expertise of biomedical engineers from Caltech. Each award provides $200,000 of funding for a one-year project.
Were very excited to be joining our colleagues at USC in pioneering new approaches to advancing stem cell research, said Stephen L. Mayo, chair of the Division of Biology and Biological Engineering at Caltech. Were thankful to The Broad Foundation for supporting cross-town collaborations between scientists with different expertise but common goals.
With support from a Broad Innovation Award, Andy McMahon, the director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC, is collaborating with Caltech biomedical engineer Long Cai to leverage a new technology for understanding chronic kidney disease. The technology, called seqFISH, provides information about genetic activity taking place in intact tissueenabling the study of the interactions between cells in their native environments.
Dr. Cais seqFISH technology will provide an unprecedented insight into the cellular interplay underlying chronic kidney disease caused by a maladaptive response to acute kidney injury, said McMahon, who is the W.M. Keck Provost and University Professor of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, and Biological Sciences, as well as the chair of the Department of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine at USC. We aim to better understand this maladaptive responsewhich is more common in malesin order to find new targets for preventing the progression to chronic kidney disease.
A second Broad Innovation Award brings together USC Stem Cell scientist Rong Lu and Caltech synthetic biologist Michael Elowitz. Their team will study the spatial organization of blood-forming stem and progenitor cells, also called hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells (HSPCs), which reside in the bone marrow. By pinpointing the locations of specific HSPCs, the scientists may find clues to explain why certain HSPCs are so dominantreplenishing the majority of the bodys blood and immune cells after a disruption such as a bone marrow transplantation.
Spatial advantages may be the primary drivers of what we refer to as the clonal dominance of certain HSPCs, said Lu, a Richard N. Merkin Assistant Professor of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Medicine, and Gerontology at USC. Understanding the spatial competition between HSPCs could help improve bone marrow transplantation and provide new insights into aging and the development of diseases such as leukemiawhich are associated with clonal dominance.
Elowitz added: Thanks to the Broad Innovation Award and this exciting collaboration with Rong Lu, we will be able to bring a new, synthetic biology approach to record cell histories and read them out in individual cells within their native spatial context, providing new insights into fundamental questions in blood stem cell development.
A third Broad Innovation Award brings together three collaborators at USC: Michael Bonaguidi, an assistant professor of stem cell biology and regenerative medicine, biomedical engineering, and gerontology; Robert Chow, a professor of physiology and neuroscience, and biomedical engineering; and Jonathan Russin, an assistant professor of neurological surgery and associate surgical director for the USC Neurorestoration Center. Their project focuses on finding new approaches to treating epilepsy by studying neural cells called astroglia. These cells perform a variety of key functions that support the health of neurons in the brain, and they may also play a role in modulating epileptic seizures.
Although adults dont tend to generate many new brain cells, humans do produce a limited number of new astroglia, said Bonaguidi. We will examine these newborn astroglia at the single-cell level to better understand their role in epileptic patients, and to lay the groundwork for identifying new treatments.
The doctors are in: The Broad Clinical Research Fellowships
The Broad Clinical Research Fellowships are also entering their fifth consecutive year. These fellowships support stem cell research by physician-scientists and residents who intend to practice medicine in California.
These fellowships provide a very special opportunity for our medical residents to engage deeply in laboratory research, as a complement to their extensive training in patient care, said Laura Mosqueda, Dean of the Keck School of Medicine of USC. This valuable research experience gives them a much more complete perspective on how to meet the challenges of finding the best possible treatments for their patients.
A USC resident physician in general surgery, Kemp Anderson will spend his fellowship studying necrotizing enterocolitis, a very serious intestinal infection that affects nearly 10 percent of premature infants. Specifically, he will explore how a molecule involved in cellular communication, called farnesoid X receptor, or FXR, might contribute to this disease.
If FXR plays a role in compromising intestinal barrier function in these premature infants, then altering the activity of FXR could potentially yield treatment modalities for necrotizing enterocolitis, avoiding the morbidity and mortality associated with surgical intervention, said Anderson, who is performing the research under the mentorship of Christopher Gayer and Mark Frey at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Im deeply appreciative of the benefactors and the selection committee for awarding me the Broad Clinical Fellowship, as it is allowing me devoted time to focus on this important project, and to become a more well-rounded physician through this academic pursuit.
Brittany Rocque, a resident physician in general surgery, will use her fellowship to seek better ways to predict, detect and diagnose immune rejection in patients who have undergone liver transplantation. Nearly 60 percent of pediatric patients and at least 15 percent of adult patients reject their liver transplants, and this can currently only be confirmed through an invasive surgical biopsy. Rocque is utilizing the technology Imaging Mass Cytometry to identify and analyze the types of immune cells involved in rejection.
My project has the potential to provide a noninvasive option to assess rejection in transplanted patients, and to expand our understanding of immune rejection, said Rocque, who is being co-mentored by Juliet Emamaullee and Shahab Asgharzadeh at CHLA. Im greatly looking forward to applying my passion for transplantation surgery in the context of basic science, and enhancing my appreciation for the nuances of research, thanks to the Broad Clinical Research Fellowship.
A hematology-oncology fellow who will be transitioning to a junior faculty position at USC next year, Caitlin ONeill will study a condition known as clonal hematopoiesis or CH, a phenomenon common in the aging population. CH involves genetic mutations that cause the expansion of a particular population of blood cells without leukemia or related malignancies. CH increases risks for certain health conditions including heart disease.
During her Broad Clinical Research Fellowship, ONeill will look at one mutation seen in patients with CH: a mutation to the gene called Tet methylcytosine dioxygenase 2, or TET2. ONeill will explore if this mutation promotes blood clots, inflammation and heart disease.
The goal is to inform therapies to prevent heart disease and leukemic progression in aging patients with CH, said ONeill, who is working with co-mentors Casey OConnell and Rong Lu at USC. Im very happy to be working on this project, with support from the Broad Clinical Research Fellowship, during my transition to becoming a faculty member at USC.
- This revolutionary new coronavirus cure is already saving lives - BGR - August 14th, 2020
- Survivors of Pediatric Cancers May Experience Lasting Impact on Heart, Metabolic Health Following Radiation Therapy - Pharmacy Times - August 14th, 2020
- TG Therapeutics Umbralisib Development, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Industry Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 13th, 2020
- Radiation to treat pediatric cancers may have lasting impact on heart and metabolic health - Science Codex - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 11th, 2020
- Salles Speaks to the Potential Benefit of the Tafasitamab Combo in the R/R DLBCL Setting - Targeted Oncology - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market: Global Forecast over COVID-19 2024 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ALLO.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of XNCR.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Trends and Highlights - Bulletin Line - August 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: NuVasive, Cytori... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Insights and Business Outlook By Top Players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 29th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - July 29th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 Overall Analysis and Forecast up to the Year 2027 - Sanford Philosopher - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2020
- New Study Offers First Glimpse Into How Widespread COVID-19 Antibodies are in Canada's Adult Population - Canada NewsWire - July 24th, 2020
- US regulations for regenerative medicine advanced therapies - Regulatory Focus - July 24th, 2020
- Scientists discovered the real reason behind goosebumps - Tech Explorist - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- New study offers first glimpse into how widespread COVID-19 antibodies are in Canada's adult population - McGill Newsroom - July 23rd, 2020
- Data Shows Direct Link Between COVID-19 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) In Infected P - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The global cell expansion market size is estimated to be USD 14.9 billion in 2020 and projected to reach USD 30.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.1%... - July 22nd, 2020
- Charles Darwin Investigated Goosebumps Now Harvard Scientists Discover the Real Reason Behind Them - SciTechDaily - July 21st, 2020
- Higher Steaks Creates World's First Lab-Grown Bacon and Pork Belly - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 19th, 2020
- Local scientists create 'mini livers' to trial therapies for liver diseases - The Straits Times - July 17th, 2020
- Can banking your stem cells prevent aging? | Well+Good - July 16th, 2020
- Expected Growth In Stem Cells Market from 2020-2026 to Guide : Trends, Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- The Baxter Foundation supports USC research on epilepsy and lung injury - USC News - July 16th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story Leukemia | BRMS - July 16th, 2020
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 15th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Outlook With Key Player, Regions, CAGR of 12.2%, and Specification, Cost Analysis, Price and Gross Margin by... - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis | Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2026 Forecasts - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- Cortical Bone Derived Stem Cells Modulate Cardiac Fibroblast Response via miR-18a in the Heart After Injury - DocWire News - July 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banking in Bulgaria: problems of control and continuing insurance - Lexology - July 13th, 2020
- 13 promising Covid-19 treatments emerging from Israel - The Yucatan Times - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Outlook, Opportunity and Demand Analysis, Forecast 2020-2027|-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company. Holostem... - July 10th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market 2020 Global Analysis, Size, Growth, Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Leading Players, Merger, Acquisition, Opportunity, With Regional... - July 10th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Growth in Sales of Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Push Revenue Growth in the Market - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Plasma therapy vs stem cell therapy, what's the difference? - Gulf News - June 29th, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 29th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - Yahoo Finance - June 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Stem Cells Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2019-2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 26th, 2020
- Nuclear softening expedites interstitial cell migration in fibrous networks and dense connective tissues - Science Advances - June 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 20th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Presents Findings from Phase 1 Zella 101 Clinical Study Evaluating Investigational Agent Alvocidib in Patients with Newly... - June 16th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Having a good level of vitamin D may reduce the risk of certain cancers - Yahoo Singapore News - June 11th, 2020
- Major skin cancer research study to begin at The Hormel Institute - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Transforming the spleen into a liver-like organ in vivo - Science Advances - June 11th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 7th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and forecasts to | 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with... - June 5th, 2020
- Follica Announces Positive Feedback From End of Phase 2 Meeting With FDA for Its Lead Program to Treat Male Androgenetic Alopecia - Business Wire - June 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - MarketBeat - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2017-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 2nd, 2020
- What It's Like to Grow a 'Mini-Brain' From Your Own Cells - Discover Magazine - May 25th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 25th, 2020
- Newborn in Japan receives first treatment with liver STEM cells - ZME Science - May 23rd, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells Market with Coronavirus (Covid-19) Impact Analysis | Industry Strong Development By Major Eminent Players, New Innovations, Key... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Component, By Enterprise Size, By End... - May 16th, 2020
- The RNA binding protein CPEB2 regulates hormone sensing in mammary gland development and luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Market Developments and Analysis (impact of Covid-19) 2020-2026 - Herald Writeup - May 15th, 2020
- Takeda Pharmaceutical : China announces ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) is approved for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive Lymphomas -... - May 15th, 2020