Medically reviewed by Richard M. Stone, MD
More than 60,000 new cases ofadult leukemiaare diagnosed in the U.S. each year. Although it is one of the more common childhood cancers,leukemia occurs more often in older adults.
Leukemia is a cancer of the bodys blood-forming tissues that results in large numbers of abnormal or immature white blood cells. The main types of leukemia are:
AML causes the bone marrow to produce immature white blood cells (called myeloblasts). As a result, patients may have a very high or lowwhite blood cellcount, and lowred blood cellsandplatelets.
CLL is the second most common type of leukemia in adults. It is a type of cancer in which the bone marrow makes too many maturelymphocytes(a type of white blood cell).
ALL is a type of leukemia in which the bone marrow makes too many immaturelymphocytes. Similar to AML, the white blood cells can be high or low and oftentimes the platelets and red blood cells are low. This form of leukemia is more common in children than adults.
CML is usually a slowly progressing disease in which too many mature white blood cells are made in the bone marrow.
People with leukemia may experience:
Because these symptoms can be caused by a variety of other conditions, its important to check with your doctor if they arise.
While studies have shown men to be more atrisk than women, some other risk factors include:
While test procedures vary based on the type of leukemia, the two most common procedures are thecomplete blood count(CBC) test and the bone marrow aspiration biopsy.
CBC is a procedure used to check the redblood cell and platelet counts as well as the number and type of white bloodcells (the red cells carry oxygen, the white cells fight and prevent infection,and platelets control bleeding). A bone marrow aspiration biopsy involvesremoving a sample of bone marrow, including a small piece of bone by insertinga needle into the hipbone. The sample is then examined for abnormal cells.
Treatment for leukemia varies depending on the type and specific diagnosis.
The treatment for acute leukemias may be lengthy up to two years in ALL and is usually done in phases. The first phase, known as remission induction therapy, involves administering several chemotherapy drugs over a several-week period. The goal is to destroy as many cancer cells as possible to achieve a remission (in which cancer cells are undetectable, but small amounts are still present).
The second phase, known aspost-remission or consolidation therapy, seeks to kill leukemia cells thatremain after remission induction therapy. This phase may involve chemotherapyand/or a stem cell transplant.
Additional treatments may also be necessary. ALL patients, for example, may receive special treatment to prevent the disease from recurring in the spinal cord or brain.
The treatment for CML has been revolutionized by the advent of the oral medication imatinib and the second- and third-generation drugs known as tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs). These are oral medications that work to inhibit the function of theBCR-ABLprotein. Many patients take these medications for the rest of their lives. In rare instances, a patient may require a stem cell transplant.
Some patients with CLL are recommended formonitoring and observation. Others,usually those with symptoms or low red cell or platelet counts, requiretreatment. Such treatment may involve intravenous chemotherapy, but often withoral therapy with pills that inhibit the function of a key protein, Brutonstyrosine kinase.
Treatments for leukemia can include:
Drugs that harness the immune system in fighting leukemia have shown considerable promise. Some monoclonal antibodies synthetic versions of immune system proteins are already in use to treat certain forms of leukemia and others are being studies in clinical trials.
Another form of immunotherapy, immune checkpoint inhibitors, which release a pent-up immune system attack on tumor cells, is being tested in several forms of leukemia. Cancer vaccines, which boost the immune systems ability to fight cancer, are being studied for use in leukemia.
CAR T-cell therapy, which uses modified immune system T cells to better target and kill tumor cells, has achieved impressive results in trials involving children and adults up to age 25 with relapsed ALL.
Research into new treatments for adult leukemia is moving along several tracks in addition to immunotherapy.
By tracking the specific abnormal genes within leukemia cells, physicians are increasingly able to tailor treatment to the unique characteristics of the disease in each patient. Targeted drugs such as imatinib and dasatinib, for example, are now used in treating patients with ALL whose leukemia cells have an abnormality known as the Philadelphia chromosome. Targeted agents including IDH or FLT3 inhibitors, which zero in on proteins made from mutated genes, have been approved to treat some patients with AML, while other such inhibitors are being tested in clinical trials.
New tests make it possible to detect ever smaller amounts of leukemia that remain after treatment. Investigators are exploring how these minute levels may influence a patients prognosis and how they might impact treatment.
Researchers are testing whether treatment periods for certain drugs can be safely reduced in some patients. For instance, studies are under way to determine if drugs such as imatinib, which are currently taken for life, can be safely stopped in some patients with CML. Researchers hope to test whether treating patients with CLL with the drug ibrutinib plus other medicine for a fixed amount of time is safe and effective.
Patients may consider treatment through a clinical trial.Dana-Farber currently has more than 30 clinical trials for adult leukemia. A national list of clinical trials is available atclinicaltrials.gov.
Go here to read the rest:
Adult Leukemia: What You Need to Know - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Edited Transcript of ALLO.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of XNCR.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Trends and Highlights - Bulletin Line - August 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: NuVasive, Cytori... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Insights and Business Outlook By Top Players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 29th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - July 29th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 Overall Analysis and Forecast up to the Year 2027 - Sanford Philosopher - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2020
- New Study Offers First Glimpse Into How Widespread COVID-19 Antibodies are in Canada's Adult Population - Canada NewsWire - July 24th, 2020
- US regulations for regenerative medicine advanced therapies - Regulatory Focus - July 24th, 2020
- Scientists discovered the real reason behind goosebumps - Tech Explorist - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- New study offers first glimpse into how widespread COVID-19 antibodies are in Canada's adult population - McGill Newsroom - July 23rd, 2020
- Data Shows Direct Link Between COVID-19 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) In Infected P - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The global cell expansion market size is estimated to be USD 14.9 billion in 2020 and projected to reach USD 30.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.1%... - July 22nd, 2020
- Charles Darwin Investigated Goosebumps Now Harvard Scientists Discover the Real Reason Behind Them - SciTechDaily - July 21st, 2020
- Higher Steaks Creates World's First Lab-Grown Bacon and Pork Belly - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 19th, 2020
- Local scientists create 'mini livers' to trial therapies for liver diseases - The Straits Times - July 17th, 2020
- Can banking your stem cells prevent aging? | Well+Good - July 16th, 2020
- Expected Growth In Stem Cells Market from 2020-2026 to Guide : Trends, Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- The Baxter Foundation supports USC research on epilepsy and lung injury - USC News - July 16th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story Leukemia | BRMS - July 16th, 2020
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 15th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Outlook With Key Player, Regions, CAGR of 12.2%, and Specification, Cost Analysis, Price and Gross Margin by... - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis | Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2026 Forecasts - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- Cortical Bone Derived Stem Cells Modulate Cardiac Fibroblast Response via miR-18a in the Heart After Injury - DocWire News - July 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banking in Bulgaria: problems of control and continuing insurance - Lexology - July 13th, 2020
- 13 promising Covid-19 treatments emerging from Israel - The Yucatan Times - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Outlook, Opportunity and Demand Analysis, Forecast 2020-2027|-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company. Holostem... - July 10th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market 2020 Global Analysis, Size, Growth, Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Leading Players, Merger, Acquisition, Opportunity, With Regional... - July 10th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Growth in Sales of Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Push Revenue Growth in the Market - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Plasma therapy vs stem cell therapy, what's the difference? - Gulf News - June 29th, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 29th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - Yahoo Finance - June 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Stem Cells Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2019-2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 26th, 2020
- Nuclear softening expedites interstitial cell migration in fibrous networks and dense connective tissues - Science Advances - June 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 20th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Presents Findings from Phase 1 Zella 101 Clinical Study Evaluating Investigational Agent Alvocidib in Patients with Newly... - June 16th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Having a good level of vitamin D may reduce the risk of certain cancers - Yahoo Singapore News - June 11th, 2020
- Major skin cancer research study to begin at The Hormel Institute - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Transforming the spleen into a liver-like organ in vivo - Science Advances - June 11th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 7th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and forecasts to | 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with... - June 5th, 2020
- Follica Announces Positive Feedback From End of Phase 2 Meeting With FDA for Its Lead Program to Treat Male Androgenetic Alopecia - Business Wire - June 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - MarketBeat - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2017-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 2nd, 2020
- What It's Like to Grow a 'Mini-Brain' From Your Own Cells - Discover Magazine - May 25th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 25th, 2020
- Newborn in Japan receives first treatment with liver STEM cells - ZME Science - May 23rd, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells Market with Coronavirus (Covid-19) Impact Analysis | Industry Strong Development By Major Eminent Players, New Innovations, Key... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Component, By Enterprise Size, By End... - May 16th, 2020
- The RNA binding protein CPEB2 regulates hormone sensing in mammary gland development and luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Market Developments and Analysis (impact of Covid-19) 2020-2026 - Herald Writeup - May 15th, 2020
- Takeda Pharmaceutical : China announces ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) is approved for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive Lymphomas -... - May 15th, 2020
- New Data for Investigational CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Oral Presentation at the 25th European... - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- Little Skates Could Hold the Key to Cartilage Therapy in Humans - Technology Networks - May 14th, 2020
- Strides in Medical Tourism Market Key Driver of Low-cost Patient Care in Globalized Healthcare Systems, Notes TMR - PR Newswire UK - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Protocol Management, Off-the-Shelf Therapies Help Bring CAR T Into More Settings - Targeted Oncology - May 13th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Announce FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to CTX001 for the... - May 13th, 2020