Michael Kalloniatis and Charles Luu
Stereopsis refers to our ability to appreciate depth, that is the ability to distinguish the relative distance of objects with an apparent physical displacement between the objects. It is possible to appreciate the relative location of objects using one eye (monocular cues). However, it is the lateral displacement of the eyes that provides two slightly different views of the same object (disparate images) and allow acute stereoscopic depth discrimination.
Several strong monocular cues allow relative distance and depth to be judged. These monocular cues include:
Relative Size: Retinal image size allow us to judge distance based on our past and present experience and familiarity with similar objects. As the car drives away, the retinal image becomes smaller and smaller. We interpret this as the car getting further and further away. This is referred to as size constancy. A retinal image of a small car is also interpreted as a distant car (figure 1).
Figure 1. Relative size. A retinal image of a small car is considered to be distant
Interposition: Interposition cues occur when there is overlapping of objects. The overlapped object is considered further away (figure 2).
Figure 2. Interposition. The blue circle is reported to be closer since it overlaps the red circle
Linear Perspective: When objects of known distance subtend a smaller and smaller angle, it is interpreted as being further away. Parallel lines converge with increasing distance such as roads, railway lines, electric wires, etc (figure 3).
Figure 3. Linear perspective. Parallel lines such as railway lines converge with increasing distance
Aerial Perspective: Relative colour of objects give us some clues to their distance. Due to the scattering of blue light in the atmosphere, creating wall of blue light, distance objects appear more blue (figure 4). Thus distant mountains appear blue. Contrast of objects also provide clues to their distance. When the scattering of light blurs the outlines of objects, the object is perceived as distant. Mountains are perceived to be closer when the atmosphere is clear.
Figure 4. Aerial perspective. Mountains in the distance appear more blue
Light And Shade: Highlights and shadows can provide information about an objects dimensions and depth (figure 5). Because our visual system assumes the light comes from above, a totally different perception is obtained if the image is viewed upside down.
Figure 5. Highlights and shadows provide information about depth
Monocular Movement Parallax: When our heads move from side to side, objects at different distances move at a different relative velocity. Closer objects move against the direction of head movement and farther objects move with the direction of head movement.
Stereopsis is an important binocular cue to depth perception. Stereopsis cannot occur monocularly and is due to binocular retinal disparity within Panums fusional space. Stereopsis is the perception of depth produced by binocular retinal disparity. Therefore, two objects stimulates disparate (non-corresponding) retinal points within Panums fusional area.
Fusion describes the neural process that brings the retinal images in the two eyes to form one single image. Fusion occurs to allow single binocular vision. Fusion takes place when the objects are the same. When the objects are different, suppression, superimposition or binocular (retinal) rivalry may occurs. Suppression occurs to eliminate one image to prevent confusion. Superimposition results in one image presented on top of the other image. Binocular rivalry describes alternating suppression of the two eyes resulting in alternating perception of the two images. This usually occurs when lines are presented to the two eyes differ in orientation, length or thickness. An example of binocular rivalry occurs when one eye is presented with a horizontal line and the other eye is presented with a vertical line. Binocular rivalry occurs at the intersection of the lines and some suppression also exists (figure 6)
Figure 6. (a) Binocular rivalry can be demonstrated by placing a pen between yourself and the screen. Keep you eye on the tip of the pen and notice the two bars merge. You may need to slowly move the pen from the screen towards you. (b) Result of (a)
Panums fusional area is the region of binocular single vision. Outside Panums fusional area, physiological diplopia occurs. Using the haplopic method of determining the horopter, Panums area can be determined (figure 7).
Figure 7. Haplopic method of determining the horopter involves locating the region of single binocular vision at a distance of 40cm.Panums fusional area lies between the outer and inner limits of the region of single binocular vision
Retinal disparity: Retinal disparate points are retinal points that give rise to different principal visual direction and diplopia. However, retinal disparity within Panums fusional area (zone of single binocular vision) can be fused resulting in single vision. Retinal disparity is essential for stereoscopic depth perception as stereoscopic depth perception results from fusion of slightly dissimilar images. Due to the lateral displacement of our eyes, slightly dissimilar retinal images result from the different perception of the same object from each eye.
Clinical Tests used to measure Stereopsis
There are two groups of clinical tests used to measure stereopsis. These are the contour stereotests and the random-dot stereotest. Random-dot stereograms were first used by Julesz (1960) to eliminate monocular cues. As there are no contours, depth perception (stereopsis) can only be appreciated when binocular fusion occurs. Two process of stereopsis are used and these are local and global stereopsis. Local stereopsis exists to evaluate the two horizontally disparate stimuli. This process is sufficient for contour stereotests. Global stereopsis is required in random-dot stereogram when the evaluation and correlation of corresponding points and disparate points are needed over a large retinal area.
An example of a contour stereotest used in the clinic is the Titmus Fly Stereotest. In the Titmus Fly Stereotest, horizontal disparity is presented via the vectographic technique (Fricke and Siderov, 1997). When tested a 40 cm the fly has a disparity of 3,600 sec of arc; the disparity of the animals range from 400 100 sec of arc and the disparity of the Wirt rings range from 800 40 sec of arc (figure 8).
Figure 8. Titmus Fly Stereotest
Examples of random-dot stereotests used in the clinic are the Frisby Stereotest, the Randot Stereotest, the Random-dot E Stereotest and the Lang Stereotest. The Frisby Stereotest (figure 9) uses real depth to determine stereoacuity. Three perspex of different thicknesses are used. Four squares of geometric shapes are painted on one side of the perspex. In one of the squares, a circle of these geometric shape is painted on the other side of the perspex. Both the Randot (figure 10) and the Random-dot E uses crossed polarised filters. Disparity is also constructed vectographically. The Randot Stereotest uses modified animals and ring designs with random dot backgrounds to eliminate monocular cues. The Lang Stereotest uses a panographic technique (Fricke and Siderov, 1997) to present disparity, therefore, no filters are required. Patients are required to identify pictures on the Lang Stereotest. The Lang II Stereotest has a monocularly visible shape on it (figure 11).
Figure 11. The Lang II
All the tests provides a measure of stereoacuity by asking the patient to identify the correct target that has stereoscoptic depth (target with disparity). The working distance and interpupillary distance will need to be taken into consideration when calculating stereoacuity. Patients with disturbed binocular vision or different refractive error in one eye, will perform poorly on depth discrimination tests.
We like to thank Tim Fricke for providing Figures 8-11.
Fricke TR and Siderov J (1997) Stereopsis, stereotest and their relation to vision screening and clinical practice.Clin Exp Optom. 80: 165-172.
Julesz B. Binocular depth perception of computer generated patterns.Bell Syst Tech J.1960;39:11251162.2.
Moses RA and Hart WM (1987)Adlers Physiology of the eye, Clinical Application, 8th ed. St. Louis: The C. V. Mosby Company.
Ogle KN (1950)Researches in Binocular Vision. London: Saunders. 1950
Schwartz SH (1999)Visual Perception, 2nd ed. Connecticut: Appleton and Lange.
Last Update: June 6, 2007.
Michael Kalloniatiswas born in Athens Greece in 1958. He received his optometry degree and Masters degree from the University of Melbourne. His PhD was awarded from the University of Houston, College of Optometry, for studies investigating colour vision processing in the monkey visual system. Post-doctoral training continued at the University of Texas in Houston with Dr Robert Marc. It was during this period that he developed a keen interest in retinal neurochemistry, but he also maintains an active research laboratory in visual psychophysics focussing on colour vision and visual adaptation. He was a faculty member of the Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences at the University of Melbourne until his recent move to New Zealand. Dr. Kalloniatis is now the Robert G. Leitl Professor of Optometry, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Auckland.e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles Luuwas born in Can Tho, Vietnam in 1974. He was educated in Melbourne and received his optometry degree from the University of Melbourne in 1996 and proceeded to undertake a clinical residency within the Victorian College of Optometry. During this period, he completed post-graduate training and was awarded the post-graduate diploma in clinical optometry. His areas of expertise include low vision and contact lenses. During his tenure as a staff optometrist, he undertook teaching of optometry students as well as putting together the Cyclopean Eye, in collaboration with Dr Michael Kalloniatis. The Cyclopean Eye is a Web based interactive unit used in undergraduate teaching of vision science to optometry students. He is currently in private optometric practice as well as a visiting clinician within the Department of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Melbourne.
Read more from the original source:
Perception of Depth by Michael Kalloniatis and Charles Luu ...
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - CueReport - June 30th, 2020
- Long-Term Culture of Human Pancreatic Slices Reveals the Regeneration of Insulin-producing Cells in Real Time : SF STAT! - South Florida Hospital News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Future Trends and Forecast to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Culture Media Market 2020: Challenges, Drivers, Analysis, Types, Applications and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2026 | COVID19 Impact Analysis NanoCellect... - June 30th, 2020
- Top Investment Opportunities in Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market after COVID-19 Outbreak: Strategies by Key Players: Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - June 30th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market in India-Manufacturing and Consumption, Outlook and Forecast 2020-2026 - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Hematology Instruments and Reagents Market to Witness Promising Growth Opportunities During 20202026 with Top Leading... - June 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market To Reach USD 8.75 Billion by 2027 | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - June 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 | Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2027: ANTRIA (CRO),... - June 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026: Analysed By Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, And Future Prospects - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- The biotech IPO boom is becoming 'historic' as four more throw their hats in - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Odessa American - June 29th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher is reportedly getting another stem-cell surgery; Journalist alleged it will be an experimental procedure - EconoTimes - June 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss Opportunities - Apsters... - June 29th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Market Size : Technological Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market 2020 Newest Industry Data, Future Trends and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Biotechnology Reagents Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Trending: Viral Inactivation Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| Danaher, Merck,... - June 29th, 2020
- Takeda takes a $200M hit after Novartis is forced to yank its marketing application for Xiidra - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Post COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Market and its Market Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out... - June 25th, 2020
- Astrocyte-to-Neuron Method Reverses Neurodegeneration in Mice - The Scientist - June 25th, 2020
- Survey: Impact Of Covid-19 On Media for Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Opportunities in Market and Expansion By 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- BIOBANKS MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS WITH FORECAST BY 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Coming Future - Bulletin Line - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report (2020-2025) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 25th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market (2019-2024) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Supporting Equipment Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development size COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Estimation, Industry Demand, Growth Trend, Chain Structure, Supply and Demand Forecast (2020-2027) - Morning Tick - June 25th, 2020
- Sussex eye surgeon's guide to glaucoma, the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the UK - Bognor Regis Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Beyond Federal Restrictions ... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Drugs Market Research with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Competitive Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Product Witness (es) Dampening Sales as ABC End-use Industry Suffers Massive Blow Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- In Bengaluru, a constellation if institutions - The Hindu - June 21st, 2020
- Bone Allograft and Xenograft Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Medical Thawing System Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Top Key Players | Helmer Scientific, Sarstedt, Sartorius, Biocision,... - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis On Trends & Need 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- 2025 Projeaction: Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Surface Markers Market is expected to grow from USD 561.02 Million in 2019 to USD 903.48 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market in COVID-19: Implications and Business Opportunities for Growth Globally - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 13,177.29 Million in 2019 to USD 28,822.19 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 6,356.88 Million in 2019 to USD 14,485.68 Million by the end of 2025 at... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Key Players, Opportunities, Challenges, Trend and Forecast by... - June 20th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Insights 2019 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed Report,... - June 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Record a Robust Growth Rate for the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Scientists Finally Know Where Thorns Come From - Daily Times - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Separation Technologies Market is expected to grow from USD 5,347.52 Million in 2019 to USD 12,724.42 Million by the end of 2025 at a... - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - Bulletin Line - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Analysis with Research Report 2020 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Recent Research Could Restore Vision by Converting Skin Cells into Photoreceptors - Health Writeups - June 20th, 2020
- Escalating Demand for Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Amid COVID-19 to Record Sharp Growth through Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Upcoming Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2020 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Culture Market is expected to grow from USD 16,371.34 Million in 2019 to USD 33,826.78 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Cell Proliferation Kit, Global and Japan Market Insights, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows Potential In Treating COVID-19 - Legal Examiner - June 18th, 2020
- 'Heart-in-a-dish' to study the effects of coronavirus - British Heart Foundation - June 18th, 2020
- NIH announces new Transformative Research Award program for ALS - National Institutes of Health - June 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market 2020: Expected Development, Share, Demand And Study Of Key Players- Research Predictions 2025 -... - June 18th, 2020
- Cambridge team probes COVID-19 impact on the heart - Business Weekly - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Assay Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Top Key Players Merck &... - June 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market What Factors will drive the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market in Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global... - June 18th, 2020
- What are the 3D Cell Culture Market Key Insights and COVID-19 Business Impact? - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Explosive Growth of IVIS Imaging Systems Market By 2027 Competitive Outlook By PerkinElmer Inc., Hallmarq Veterinary Imaging, CANON MEDICAL SYSTEMS... - June 18th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Capillary Electrophoresis Market Projection By Key Players, Status, Growth, Revenue, SWOT Analysis Forecast 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Verve Therapeutics CEO Sekar Kathiresan, M.D., to Give Keynote Presentation at the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) 2020 Virtual... - June 17th, 2020
- Preventing misleading claim of COVID-19 cure - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - June 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Analysis Report, Region, Application, Trends, Competitive Market Share and Forecast to 2026 -... - June 17th, 2020
- Drivers of Healthy Gut Maintenance Uncovered - Technology Networks - June 17th, 2020
- GLOBAL HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELL MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth... - June 17th, 2020
- Magenta and Beam to Further Explore MGTA-117 - PharmaLive - June 17th, 2020