Americans are herding to Costa Rica for stem cell treatments
The stories are starting to come in the man with the heart attack, now with a stem cell transplant, his glands can now generate insulin. The Florida parents of 7-year-old, who has autism, are taking him to Costa Rica at the end of this month for adult stem cell treatments.
Success stories have grabbed international media attention, with cable and TV networks jumping on the bandwagon by running stories like Paralyzed valley woman holds hope in Costa Rica treatment and Glenburn boy returns from Costa Rica after having adult stem cell therapy.
Adding to the hype of stem cell treatment, back in March, 2009 US President Barack Obama issued an executive order that lifted Bush-era restrictions on federal funding for stem cell research, but much of the treatment is still a long way off, experts say. With all this media attention, and America still in the Black Ages, the list of Americans seeking stem cell treatment in Costa Rica has tripled in the last year.
But the media and presidential endorsement of treatments (well at lease to a point) has made doctors in the U.S. nervous for the obvious reasons.
Its common knowledge that overall Costa Ricas medical tourism and the use of their wellness centers has doubled and tripled. Now the number of foreigners seeking and undergoing stem cell treatment in Costa Rica for ailments from bone fractures to multiple sclerosis has doubled. Costa Rican doctors say they are providing these medical tourists with groundbreaking treatments.
But I would not jump on the next plane to Costa Rica, stem cell scientists in the U.S. accuse Costa Rica of offering false hope by pushing techniques that have not been scientifically proven.
But it has not stopped Costa Rican legislators because they are putting the finishing touches on a law to promote and regulate adult stem cell research and treatment across a spectrum of diseases. Obviously, this could fuel further debate over techniques that U.S. doctors say have only produced anecdotal success but it certainly has not stop the flow of stem cell medical tourism.
Americans already make up close to 90 percent of the stem cell patients at CIMA Hospital. Dr. Fabio Solano who directs the stem cell institute at San Joses CIMA Hospital, one of the countrys leading private hospitals says his team has treated as many as 400 patients with procedures that involve stem cells.
However in Costa Rica, Catholicism is the state religion, working with human embryos is out of the question. So there is contentious debate around stem cells by prohibiting work with human embryos and instead promoting research on whats known as adult stem cells derived from tissue including body fat and umbilical blood or tissue.
Like most medical tourism in Costa Rica it is not really regulated by any Medical Institution or FDA, or are doctors subject to outrageous malpractice premiums, the cost for medical treatments, substance abuse, plastic surgery or dental work can be as much as 70% less.
In the case of stem cells treatments for MS in the U.S offers from university labs in guinea pig treatments range into the $100,000 to $150,000 where in Costa Rica the same treatment can be as low as $10,000.
A December 2008 study by the journal Cell Stem Cell found that international stem cell treatment hovers around an average of $20,000.
- What Are New Medical Solutions That Can Help Treat Patients? - iLounge - November 22nd, 2021
- Slidell mom with months to live, couldn't afford to fight 'very treatable' cancer - WWLTV.com - November 22nd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market to reach US$ 47,095.2 Mn by end of 2028, Says Coherent Market Insights - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- FMQs: Senior Glasgow doctor warns claims doctors act in secret or conceal information could damage public confidence as Andrew Slorance widow claims... - November 22nd, 2021
- Former Tranmere player Gary Stevens' son dies after battle with leukaemia - The Chester Standard - November 22nd, 2021
- Braeden Lichti - Investing in Precision Medicine to Yield New Treatments for Neurodegenerative Diseases - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cancer Therapy Market Expected to Reach $268 Billion In 2026, With A CAGR Of 9.15% - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2021
- Indiana's top doctors frustrated about the state's COVID-19 vaccination rate - 953mnc.com - August 31st, 2021
- Should You Get a COVID Booster Shot? Our Doctor Explains - Articles and Videos, COVID-19, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - August 31st, 2021
- OpRegen: tackling the leading cause of blindness with cell replacement - Clinical Trials Arena - August 31st, 2021
- I blamed stress for my three-month period but it turned out to be much more sinister... - The Sun - August 31st, 2021
- New fault lines emerge in Car-T therapy - Vantage - August 31st, 2021
- When aid-in-dying means you have to go before youre ready - Monterey Herald - August 31st, 2021
- Dr. Death Season 1 Review: Truth continues to be stranger than fiction. - Times of India - August 31st, 2021
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) Diagnostics Market is expected to Account for Over US$ 9.5 Million in - PharmiWeb.com - August 31st, 2021
- COVID-19 in children with cancer: Severe disease and disrupted treatment - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2021
- Sophomore saves sister's life with stem cell donation - University of Miami - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Blood donation clinic will honour life of Jocelyn McGlynn - Chatham Daily News - August 5th, 2021
- Pharming Group reports financial results for the first half of 2021 - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Symptoms of seizures: Early signs, post-seizure, and more - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2021
- Lymph nodes: Purpose, location, and disease warning signs - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Teesside baby will be third in country to have ground breaking complex cancer treatment - Teesside Live - June 8th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 8th, 2021
- Local veterinary clinics offer integrated care options for pets - williamsonherald.com - June 8th, 2021
- Blood cancer and leukaemia: UAE oncologist urges public to spot the symptoms - The National - June 8th, 2021
- Replotting the human: the thorny ethics of growing babies outside the womb - Prospect - June 8th, 2021
- Crossroads of life: Jordan Reed's journey through concussions, injuries and post-NFL healing - The Athletic - June 8th, 2021
- B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: What to know - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and stomach pain: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Top 12 Disruptive Gene and Cell Therapy Technologies Announced - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- BlueRock and Senti Collaborate to Build Smarter, Disease-Fighting Cell Therapies - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Living with blood cancer - Lara Said - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- 3D Printed Stem Cells Could Revolutionize Neuroscience, Aid Treatment and Understanding of Neural Diseases - Science Times - May 28th, 2021
- In the War on Cancer, Science Is Winning - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- Whats Causing Black Fungus? Here Is What The Doctors Have To Say - The Logical Indian - May 28th, 2021
- University of Pittsburgh Won't Explain its Planned Parenthood Ties | Opinion - Newsweek - May 28th, 2021
- Trial treatment with a mythologically-inspired name saves life of young man diagnosed with multiple myeloma - Neos Kosmos - May 28th, 2021
- An unusual addition to Californias 2022 ballot - CalMatters - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Los Angeles - Darrow Stem Cell Institute - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplants: A Lifesaving Treatment for Cancer ... - February 14th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Are Covid-19 vaccines safe for cancer patients? Here is what cancer experts say - CNN - February 14th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army needs stem cell donor as mum begs for help to save three-year-old's life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army: mum opens up on heartbreaking decision to make 3-year-old sick to save his life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Bone marrow transplant shows signs of curing brave little boy with one in a million condition - Shields Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Canada's blood supply has a diversity problem and people are dying because of it - CBC.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- State-of-the-Art Treatments Garner University Foot and Ankle Institute Multiple Top Doctor Awards - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2021
- Dean Tracy Johnson seeks to diversify the pipeline of future scientists and doctors - UCLA Newsroom - February 2nd, 2021
- Transforming optimism: finding new ways to treat rare cancers - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - February 2nd, 2021
- Family of Belfast woman Eimear Gooderham (25) share memories and dealing with grief in special UTV programme - Belfast Telegraph - February 2nd, 2021
- Doctor: COVID-19 cases will continue to slowly go down, but were not out of the woods - Yahoo Money - January 23rd, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players In-depth Analysis Research Report Foresight to 2027 - KSU | The... - January 23rd, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Sisters who organised an Ilkley fundraising ball are to be honoured - Wharfedale Observer - January 22nd, 2021
- Medical Doctor: Roes Overlooking of the Consensus of Societal Morality and Science Reverberates to This Day - National Catholic Register - January 22nd, 2021
- DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) Becomes the First FDA-Approved Treatment for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - January 22nd, 2021
- Seattle researchers find clues for treatments that could eliminate HIV in infected patients - GeekWire - January 14th, 2021
- Flow Cytometry Market is Projected to Reach a Value of US$8100 Mn by the End of 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors diagnosed a Suffolk teen with a rare condition. Now, his mom is part of the solution - 13newsnow.com WVEC - January 12th, 2021
- Cassville club assists 2 families as they recover from illness - telegraphherald.com - January 12th, 2021
- The 26 billion-dollar startups to watch that are revolutionizing healthcare in 2021 - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market 2020 Overview By Size, Share, Trends, Growth Factors and Leading Players With Detailed Analysis of Industry Structure... - January 12th, 2021
- More than 250 articles and a book later, the Valley Doctor bids adieu - San Lorenzo Valley Press-Banner - January 12th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Treatment for Severe COVID-19 Using Stem Cells It's Like Smart Bomb Technology in the Lung - SciTechDaily - January 5th, 2021
- New combo therapy offered against refractory T-cell lymphoma - Korea Biomedical Review - January 5th, 2021
- Hair Growth Treatment Secrets Bollywood Will Never Tell You About - Times of India - January 5th, 2021
- Are metabolic hormones the next frontier in cancer treatment? - MedCity News - January 5th, 2021
- Limerick toddler to wait six months for trial cancer treatment after family raises over 400,000 - Extra.ie - January 5th, 2021
- West Lothian mum fighting for her life after back pain turned out to be terminal blood cancer - Edinburgh Live - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Yahoo Finance UK - January 5th, 2021
- A Wish Come True urges plungers to dump a bucket of ice water on themselves for this year's fundraiser - Fall River Herald News - December 26th, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- The 11 most mind-blowing, awe-inspiring health discoveries and innovations of 2020 - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- 3-year-old patient successfully treated for rare fatal disease- familial Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) at Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Startups are racing to reproduce breast milk in the lab - MIT Technology Review - December 22nd, 2020