RE: Warning letter received August 24th, 2017
Dear Mr. Randall Morris,
Please accept this letter as response to the warning letter received August 24th, 2017. In sum, as was previously demonstrated, the US Stem Cell Clinic (USCC) is not utilizing a biological drug product and therefore the regulations of part 210 and 211 (current good manufacturing practices) do not apply. The comments in the provided warning letter are specific to products that are produced in cGMP manufacturing facilities and classified as drugs according to the FDA. This is not something that a medical clinic would be required to follow. USCC is not manufacturing a drug. That being said, in an abundance of caution, US Stem Cell Clinic will immediately switch to 510(k) approved systems to process tissue in clinic such as bone marrow systems and/or fat systems.
Our facility has demonstrated sterile surgical techniques as required by the medical boards. It is inappropriate and harmful to state that our clinic is not sterile as we are completely compliant with the regulations for surgical procedures including using individually wrapped disposable sterile supplies, sterile field prep, and more. The strict regulations mentioned in the warning letter required to manufacture drugs are not applied to clinics or hospitals. As a clinic performing a medical procedure, we have strict and appropriate protocols in place to prevent contamination and breach of sterility. We are following the exact protocols that are utilized at surgical centers and hospitals. As you know, these protocols are very different than what is required for GMP manufacturing facilities. We have never had an incidence of contamination and the statements that were made in your warning letter and press release are misleading and causing irreparable harm.
We have previously described in detail why the FDA has wrongly defined these in clinic procedures as a drug and provided evidence. The evidence and summary is provided below. I would like to specifically call your attention to the fact that according to your current code of federal regulations, same surgical procedure is not subject to the rules for tissue banks which include minimal manipulation and homologous use. We strongly believe that it is a violation of the rights of American citizens to prevent them from seeking alternative care for their conditions as long as it does not violate regulations or the law. Our clinic is not violating the law as it is currently written. There is huge support from government officials and American citizens for stem cell treatmentsagain, while all laws are adhered to as we do. Please refer to just one petition out of many regarding stem cell treatments in clinic with almost 70,000 signatures: https://www.change.org/p/fda-don-t-shut-down-our-access-to-needed-stem-cell-therapy-treatment.
We would also like to address the comment in your warning letter regarding our firm impairing the ability to conduct the inspection. This statement is blatantly false and should be removed from the record. We provided access to every room in the facility and allowed pictures on multiple occasions. We also provided copies of all requested documents including confidential patient information. We are an extremely small firm with only a handful of employees most of which are part time or 1099 contract. As a small firm with limited resources, it is necessary to schedule the access that was required by the investigators in order to prevent permanent damage to our business. We provided abundant time and availability to the inspectors and on several occasions, the inspectors canceled last minute and did not come. At one point, the inspectors came to the office when the office was closed. During this last inspection, we worked with the inspectors for over a month providing hundreds of copies and burned CDs. On several occasions, I requested paper, printer ink and office supplies but did not receive what was requested. This inspection caused undue financial harm to our small firmyet we made our staff and resources available to the investigators at all times. Stating that we prevented or limited access to our company is an apparent attempt to disparage our company and we deem it both unprofessional and an unfair statement.
Given that we are a medical clinic that does not manufacture drugs, the guidance document that you referenced does not apply to our facility. Instead, USCC is performing a medical procedure wherein tissue is removed from a patient and re-implanted during the same surgical procedure. 21 C.F.R. 1271(b) titled Human Cells, Tissues and Cellular Tissue-Based Products, expressly states, you are not required to comply with the requirements of this part if you are an establishment that removes HCT/Ps from an individual and implants such HCT/Ps into the same individual during the same surgical procedure.
The procedure performed at USSC is simply the practice of medicine. Medical practitioners have been performing similar type procedures in clinic for decades including fat, skin, tendon/ligament, vascular, hair and bone grafts, bone marrow transplantation, and blood/plasma transplantation. Please keep in mind that many of these medical procedures may involve non-homologous use of tissue (CABG with vein graft or ileum to replace bladder) or more than minimal manipulation (skin grafts, hair transplants, or bone grafts). But because these are completed by medical practitioners during the same surgical procedure, the practitioners per the exception clause are not required to comply with the requirements of this part (1271) which includes details on products under section 351 vs. 361 PHS Act.
Therefore, the regulatory sections of Part 1271 regarding homologous use or more than minimal manipulation are not applicable to the procedures performed by USSC. To be clear, the purpose of stem cells inside our bodies is to maintain and repair damaged tissue, therefore any application of stem cells to patients would in fact be defined as homologous.
Even if USSC were somehow subject to the regulatory sections of Part 1271, the protocols utilized by USSC would be exempt from the regulations because the procedures practiced at USSC do not involve more than minimal manipulation. Part 1271 Regulations create a regulatory exemption from the manufacturing and labeling requirements that normally apply to drugs and biological products for any HCT/P that is no more than minimally manipulated. See 21C.F.R. 1271.10(a). Minimal manipulation of cells means processing that does not alter the-relevant biologicalcharacteristics. Id. 1271.3(f)(2).
In the procedures performed at USCC, the actual stem cells are not modified or changed in any way but instead separated via centrifugation. Even the collagenase digestion only changes the integrity of the extracellular matrix and does not change the characteristics of the cells themselves. These scientific facts were confirmed by several leading stem cell scientists at the September 2016 FDA hearing.
Medical procedures are already scrutinized and regulated by the state medical boards, legislatures, and agencies. In addition, the doctor patient relationship is protected and physicians take a vow to protect the safety, health and welfare of patients. They are dedicated to serving the interest of the patient and market forces, societal pressures, and administrative demands must not compromise this promise. The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy and security of drugs. The FDA does not regulate the practice of medicine or the bodies/tissues of individuals.
This same procedure is currently performed at thousands of clinics throughout the US. Notably, throughout the stem cell field, these clinics and practitioners also maintain that the procedures performed are medical procedures, and that the regulations of part 210 and 211 (current good manufacturing practices) do not apply.
We are aware that many clinics have been visited by the FDA without any actions or warnings letters. At USCC, we are following standard clinical procedures for medical facilities to ensure safety of the patients. This is considered a medical procedure because the tissue is removed from the patient and re-implanted during the same surgical procedure to the same patient (autologous use). The protocols used at our clinic have been well established in publications as both efficacious and safe. Over ten thousand patients have been treated using similar protocols with a strong safety record. Specifically, over 7000 patients have been treated using the exact same laboratory kit that we utilize at USCC.
Bone marrow and blood products are currently being utilized in the clinic in a similar fashion. The only reason bone marrow products are being regulated differently is because they predate the 1976 medical device amendments allowing for a 510k process instead of IND/IDE. There is no scientific or medical reason that fat tissue removed from a patient would be regulated differently than bone marrow or blood, when they are being used for the same purpose. According to recent publications, cells from fat tissue are demonstrating superior clinical results than bone marrow cells. This is most likely due to the fact that the bone marrow contains very high amounts of white blood cells (WBCs) which can cause unnecessary inflammation whereas fat has low amounts of WBCs. Fat tissue, however, may contain up to 500 times more stem cells. The rate of complications from taking a bone marrow aspirate is significantly higher than taking an adipose sample. The cells that are obtained from an adipose sample are separated from the adipocytes and have not been manipulated or changed in any way prior to reintroducing into a patient. According to reports, these therapies do not have the same negative side effects as many of the available drugs on the market.
We are aware that the FDA received comments on the published draft guidelines regarding adipose tissue procedures in clinic. We are also aware that the FDA held a public hearing regarding these topics in September 2016 in which many scientists, physicians and patients expressed support for these therapies. We are able to provide the FDA with any necessary information to demonstrate that this is a medical procedure that is safely done on an outpatient basis. Published results of outcomes to date have been overwhelmingly positive.
If the federal government were to interfere with a persons ability to obtain and utilize their own cells in their body to heal themselves, this could be a gross violation of the constitution. According to the constitution, Americans have a fundamental right to privacy as well as protection from undue government intrusion. Specifically, in the case of Griswold v. Connecticut 381 U.S. 479, 484-486 (1965), the Supreme Court recognized that specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights create zones of privacy to protect certain intimate activities from means which sweep unnecessarily broadly and thereby invade the area of protected freedoms. Regarding bodily integrity, the court ruled that no right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guardedthan the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference from others Both Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973) and Planned Parenthood v. Casey 506 U.S. 833 (1992), protected rights to privacy, autonomy, and personal choice. See also A.L.A. v. West Valley City, 26 F.3d 989, 990 (10th Cir.1994) (There is no dispute that confidential medical information is entitled to constitutional privacy protection.); According to A. Rahman Ford, JD, PhD, Undue infringement by the federal government upon so sacrosanct a right as the bodily integrity of private persons must be viewed as paternalistic, Victorian and an affront to the freedoms inherent in the Constitution itself.
Notwithstanding the aboveand again, in an abundance of cautionit is our sincerest interest to adhere to the FDAs interpretation of the laws and have several specific questions that we would like the FDA to kindly provide answers to:
Our clinic is simply providing medical treatments to consenting patients using cells from their own body during a medical procedure which does not invoke oversight by the federal government. We would like to specifically request a meeting with the FDA commissioner to better explain the procedures that have successfully helped thousands of people.
We look forward to your responses to our questions above. Feel free to contact me if additional information is required.
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on the Role of CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - OncLive - September 12th, 2020
- When old age catches up with you in your 30s - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- The 9th ISS R&D Conference Is Opening This Week, but This Year's Setup Is Different - Science Times - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market Covid-19 Impact On 2020 In-depth Industry Size, Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2026: EmCyte, Terumo,... - August 28th, 2020
- Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Industry Size, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 Osiris Therapeutics Inc, US Stem Cell Inc, Yuhan... - August 28th, 2020
- Burger Reviews BTK Inhibitors and Beyond in Frontline CLL - Targeted Oncology - August 25th, 2020
- Global Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Checkout the Unpredictable Future: Industry Applications, Competitors growth prospects, Industry... - August 25th, 2020
- Adapting ideas from quantum physics to calculate alternative interventions for infection and cancer - Science Codex - August 25th, 2020
- What voters need to know about Californias ballot propositions - OCRegister - August 24th, 2020
- Diabetic patients may find ray of hope in stem cell treatment - The News International - August 21st, 2020
- Jocelyn McGlynn inspired people to help others - Chatham This Week - August 19th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market with leading companies like ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES, Abbott Animal Hospital, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Veterinary Hospital and... - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Report: Production, Revenue, Price Trend by Types & Market Analysis by Application -... - August 18th, 2020
- Hackensack University Medical Center Has the Best Cancer Center in New Jersey John Theurer Cancer Center recognized by U.S. News & World Report -... - August 18th, 2020
- Novel CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Advanced Hodgkin Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors |... - August 13th, 2020
- Novo backs 'breakthrough' antifungal player's $60M round with a focus on rare mold infections - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- CanSino reaps $748M windfall from Shanghai IPO as it warns Covid-19 vaccine won't be a huge money maker - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- Roche pulls a tumor micro-environment drug out of the freezer, hands it to a UK upstart - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- Avobis Bio and Vineti announce strategic collaboration to support new implantable cell therapies addressing debilitating conditions - GlobeNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Plotting to be the BridgeBio of AI, Atomwise lands $123 million Series B for hype-heavy platform - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- Strategies and Suggestions for Patent Applications in the Hot Field of Biotechnology - Lexology - August 11th, 2020
- Versant debuts Ridgeline's startup #4, armed with $30M and alternative TCR cell therapies for solid tumors - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: CureVac beefs up its unicorn IPO dreams as billionaire owner takes this Covid-19 mRNA player on a forced march to Nasdaq; Kodak's... - August 10th, 2020
- Vida Ventures co-leads Dyne's $115M megaround for next-gen oligo therapies aimed squarely at muscles - Endpoints News - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BLCM.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- National Stem Cell Clinic: Stem Cell Therapy in Miami ... - August 7th, 2020
- In the clinic for Aug. 6, 2020 | 2020-08-06 - BioWorld Online - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Bulletin Line - August 5th, 2020
- StemCells 21 Premium Stem Cell Treatments In Bangkok ... - August 5th, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - WAM EN - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - PR Web - August 3rd, 2020
- 27th Annual Luau and Legends of Surfing Invitational Set to Make Virtual Waves - UC San Diego Health - July 30th, 2020
- Celsius Therapeutics, Twist Bioscience, And More: News From July 2020 - Bio-IT World - July 30th, 2020
- David Karli Launches New Treatment for Patients with severe Arthritic Conditions - THISDAY Newspapers - July 29th, 2020
- Dreambody.clinic - Stem Cells, HGH, TRT, Hormone ... - July 29th, 2020
- Distanced from a pricing controversy, Jeff Aronin steers one of his biotechs to Nasdaq with a familiar regulatory strategy tied to a big bet -... - July 29th, 2020
- AbbVie backs an Italian startup focused on autoimmune diseases; BioTheryX advances AML drug with $35M D round - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- After Big Pharma abandoned infectious diseases, 5 biotech contrarians decided to go all in. Then Covid-19 changed everything - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- Ayahuasca inspires another biotech startup at ATAI; Mylan TB drug gets green light in India - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Opportunities And Forecast Analysis To 2026| Gilead Sciences, Novartis, Osiris - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - July 26th, 2020
- This is What He and His Family Are Working Towards- Former Ferrari Head Todt Reveals He Saw Michael Schumacher Last Week - Essentially Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Two Immunotherapies Converted Into Single Therapy for Certain Blood Cancers - Technology Networks - July 24th, 2020