Scrapping the nascent all-Canadian Avro Arrow jet fighter program in 1959 is still mourned as a national blunder but, 53 years later, the law of unintended consequences is drawing from it unexpected bounty.
Owen Boris, as a young engineer, was a technically savvy worker who lost his job when the Avro program ended; he returned to Hamilton where he started installing television antennae for neighbours. From there he built a modern high-speed Internet, telephone and cable company that he sold in 2009 for an estimated $300 million.
The businessman did not forget his disappointment with the demise of Avro and never again wanted Canadian innovation to be squandered.
Mr. Boris died suddenly in April at the age of 79 but, on Monday, at a ceremony in Hamilton, his family is announcing a $30-million donation in his name to McMaster University to spur medical research and innovation, primarily in human stem-cell therapies.
“Owen Boris was very frustrated with a couple of things,” said Dr. John Kelton, vice-president of McMaster’s faculty of health sciences and dean of its Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine.
“He had been involved with the Avro Arrow and many times he said how frustrated he was that Canada was on the edge of having one of the finest aviation machines and it was squandered. He saw it as a failed opportunity for Canada. That bothered him.”
Mr. Boris was also frustrated by Canada’s often cumbersome health-care system. “He went to the Mayo Clinic and wondered why we can’t have something like a Mayo Clinic in Canada,” Dr. Kelton said.
The donation aims to posthumously address both of those frustrations.
Of the donation, $24-million will establish the Boris Family Centre in Human Stem Cell Therapies, designed to speed the commercial development of discoveries, and $6-million will create a special hospital clinic where patients with complex health problems can see several specialists and have related tests during one visit.
“Owen compared stems cells to the Avro Arrow program — he asked why, with all the basic research that’s happening here at McMaster, can we not get it into patients more quickly? If children are dying of leukemia and stem cells might save them, why aren’t we doing it yet?” said Dr. Kelton of his discussions with Mr. Boris shortly before his death.
“And he asked why is it so hard to get health care in Canada that is fast and efficient?”
Owen Boris liked speed in jets, boats and medicine.
Mr. Boris was all about fast and efficient. It was what sparked his love of the Arrow, pushed him to set speed-boat racing records and to build and fly his own plane. It was also a mantra for his business.
Dissatisfied with both the quality and quantity of television reception in the 1950s, he built a television tower in the backyard of his Hamilton home to pull in a better signal and additional channels from Toronto, Buffalo and Cleveland.
When neighbours asked him about it, he dug trenches to bury cables from his tower to their homes to share the signal.
It wasn’t long before providing cable television became his main focus and, under the name Mountain Cable and with the help of his wife, Marta, business roared. Renamed Mountain Cablevision it became one of the largest and most technically advanced independent cable TV providers in Canada.
McMaster University hopes to match Mr. Boris’ passion for speed and success in the medical field through the cash infusion.
“My dad had been to the Mayo Clinic a couple of times and raved about it,” said Les Boris, Mr. Boris’s son. “We’re looking to see that type of model and infrastructure created here, so that people can have access to the best doctors, efficient diagnosis and immediate treatment.”
“Without any wait times,” added his sister, Jackie Work.
In response, the university visited the Mayo Clinic to look for ways to apply its philosophy to Canada’s universal health-care system.
The bulk of the Boris money, however, will boost efforts at the McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, with an eye on moving research out of the lab and into the hospital.
“The Boris family want us to fast track the basic research to get it into patients. They are a family intent on moving things forward and here is a chance to operationalize that,” Dr. Kelton said.
The money will allow the school to recruit top researchers to the six-year-old institute that has already had several breakthroughs, including the ability to turn human skin into blood.
The Boris funds will establish two senior research chairs, one in blood stem cells and the other in neuro stem cells, with $5-million in funding each, the largest at the university.
“That is so large it will let us bring in the top dogs,” Dr. Kelton said. “It gives us a hunting licence to go out and get them and fund the lab and their research.”
The money will also fund several fellowships, technician positions and infrastructure building.
The Boris family has already given away millions.
Last year, the family donated $11-million to Hamilton’s St. Joseph’s Healthcare: $6-million to fund alcohol addiction research in memory of Mr. Boris’s son, Peter, who suffered from alcohol addiction before his death at age 44, and $5-million to buy an advanced robotic surgical system.
Before his death, Mr. Boris gave $3-million to fund a stem-cell vision research position at the Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation.
“This is a continuation of the gifts that our family has already started giving back to the Hamilton community,” said Ms. Work. Added Les Boris: “We want to give back to the people in this city who supported our business for years.”
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 8th, 2021
- Retracing the Lineage of Cancer Cells - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) Offers Stem Cells Therapy, An Alternative to Surgery For Pain Management in Myrtle Beach, SC - Press Release - Digital... - March 8th, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (San Antonio) Offers Non-Surgical Regeneration Therapy To Treat Aches, Pains, and Injuries In Individuals Around San Antonio - Press... - March 8th, 2021
- New Research Study Investigates Metformin as a Therapy to Promote Brain Repair and Reduce Disability in Children and Young Adults with MS -... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - January 30th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - January 30th, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- TScan Moves Toward the Clinic with $100 Million Series C Round - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Love Your Skin: What Is SPF And Why Is It Important? - Yahoo Movies Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- From hacking the immune system at the Parker Institute to decoding and reprogramming human cells - leading clinical immunotherapies developer Ramy Ibr... - January 30th, 2021
- City Awards $38 Million in Infrastructure Grants for City Science Institutions - CityLand CityLand - CityLand - January 30th, 2021
- Mesoblast Limited: Is Stemcell Therapy Ready For Prime Time? - Sick Economics - January 22nd, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction | DNA RNA... - January 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough motor neurone disease study finds way to reverse damage - The National - January 19th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces 2021 Corporate Priorities Supporting the Build-out of its Commercial Business in Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) Gene... - January 12th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market : Information, Figures And Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Paint it all Pink winner charity donation helps Elizabeth Wende Breast Care Fund - MPNnow.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Center for Regenerative Medicine - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Global Forecast, Cost, Key Participants and Emerging Trends and Key Players-AVIVA BioSciences , AdnaGen - The... - December 12th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 5th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Dec. 4 - ECM Publishers - December 5th, 2020
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on the Role of CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - OncLive - September 12th, 2020
- When old age catches up with you in your 30s - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- The 9th ISS R&D Conference Is Opening This Week, but This Year's Setup Is Different - Science Times - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market Covid-19 Impact On 2020 In-depth Industry Size, Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2026: EmCyte, Terumo,... - August 28th, 2020
- Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Industry Size, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 Osiris Therapeutics Inc, US Stem Cell Inc, Yuhan... - August 28th, 2020
- Burger Reviews BTK Inhibitors and Beyond in Frontline CLL - Targeted Oncology - August 25th, 2020
- Global Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Checkout the Unpredictable Future: Industry Applications, Competitors growth prospects, Industry... - August 25th, 2020
- Adapting ideas from quantum physics to calculate alternative interventions for infection and cancer - Science Codex - August 25th, 2020
- What voters need to know about Californias ballot propositions - OCRegister - August 24th, 2020
- Diabetic patients may find ray of hope in stem cell treatment - The News International - August 21st, 2020
- Jocelyn McGlynn inspired people to help others - Chatham This Week - August 19th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market with leading companies like ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES, Abbott Animal Hospital, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Veterinary Hospital and... - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Report: Production, Revenue, Price Trend by Types & Market Analysis by Application -... - August 18th, 2020
- Hackensack University Medical Center Has the Best Cancer Center in New Jersey John Theurer Cancer Center recognized by U.S. News & World Report -... - August 18th, 2020
- Novel CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Advanced Hodgkin Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors |... - August 13th, 2020
- Novo backs 'breakthrough' antifungal player's $60M round with a focus on rare mold infections - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- CanSino reaps $748M windfall from Shanghai IPO as it warns Covid-19 vaccine won't be a huge money maker - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- Roche pulls a tumor micro-environment drug out of the freezer, hands it to a UK upstart - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020