Our NYC orthopedic surgeons are medical doctors who have gained specialist qualifications in sport medicine and orthopedic surgery and hold best in class qualifications. We provide expert diagnosis and management of all musculoskeletal injuries for both elite and recreational athletes but also acute and overuse injuries that occur at work or during everyday activities for patients all patients of all ages.
Please note: A doctors referral is NOT necessary from a General Practitioner to see our sports medicine or orthopedic surgery specialists for a consultation, 2nd opinion, or for treatment at our orthopedic practice including surgery and stem cell injections, cortisone injections, cartilage grafting, gel injections, or platelet-rich plasma injections or PRP injections.
We offer full-out of network insurance benefits (we will contact your insurance company and submit for you). You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork. Most policies reimburse patients for most of the cost of surgery. Our surgical coordinator will help you with a quote.
We are proud to offer our patients state-of-the-art biologics that can aid in rapid recovery which presentspossible alternatives to surgical orthopedic procedures:
Stem Cell Therapy: Stem cells have shown exceptional promise in the treatment of orthopedic injuries. They are cells that have retained the ability to become many different types of cells. Because these cells can theoretically be utilized to grow new cartilage, bone or even organs, a substantial amount of research today is being directed at learning how these cells function.
The surgeons at Glashow orthopedics believe that the future of sports medicine and orthopedic surgery lies in the field of OrthoBiologics. Put simply, OrthoBiologics seeks to accelerate healing and recovery by maximizing the bodys ability to heal itself. Future treatments will be focused on providing an optimal environment for the healing process, allowing for faster recoveries and the regeneration of lost tissue. For this reason, our surgeons have embraced the latest Stem Cell and Orthobiologics techniques to offer our New York patients state of the art care and improved outcomes.
Stem Cells are commonly found in three places:
1. Bone Marrow 2. Adipose (Fat) tissue 3. Cord Blood
Bone Marrow Derived Stem Cells: Stem cells are located in all of the long bones, including the pelvis, femur, tibia and humerus. Bone Marrow derived stem cells are currently considered the best option for orthopedic procedures, because they are more closely related to bone and cartilage. They can be harvested through simple, minimally invasive procedures performed in the office or in the operating room. Once the cells are retrieved, they are taken to a special machine that removes other types of cells and are concentrated into a serum. This serum can then be injected into joints, fractures or muscle and tendon injuries.
Once inside the body, the stem cells are activated by growth factors. Growth factors are chemicals inside the human body that are responsible for directing the injury repair process. Growth factors occur naturally at areas of injury, or can be injected along with stem cells as part of a Platelet Rich Plasma preparation. (Insert hyperlink to prp) The growth factors tell the stem cells what type of cell to become.
Adipose Derived Stem Cells: Fat contains an even higher concentration of stem cells than bone marrow. These cells, however, are different from the ones found in bone marrow, and are easier to direct to become soft tissue cells, making them more ideal for general and plastic surgery applications. To get adipose derived stem cells to become bone or cartilage, special chemicals need to be added to the serum, making them less desirable for use in orthopedic injuries. These cells are harvested by removing some fat from the belly area, making the procedure very popular among most patients!
Cord Blood Stem Cells: These cells are harvested from the umbilical cord and placenta immediately following birth. Pregnancy is required to obtain these cells, but they are the most flexible cell type, being able to form nearly any other cell. For this reason, Cord Blood banking has become a popular option for new parents. The cells are harvested and cryogenically preserved in the event they will be needed later to treat a disease.
IRAP (Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein): This protein is often confused with Stem Cells, and has been made popular recently by several high-profile professional athletes who have attempted to use it to extend their careers (Kobe Bryant hyperlink).
The inflammatory cytokine InterLeukin-1 (IL-1) has been implicated as an inducer of osteoarthritis in joints, playing a key role in the acceleration of soft tissue destruction. IL-1 is currently thought to be the primary mediator of breakdown of articular cartilage in diseased joints. IL-1 Receptor Antagonist (IL-1RA), a small glycoprotein and a competitive inhibitor of IL-1, is thought to bind to IL-1 and halt its ability to further injure the joint. IRAP (InterLeukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein) is a blood product created by incubating a patients blood for 24 hours in glass beads, then eluting and centrifuging the end product. It closely resembles PRP and is, in effect, a liquid NSAID, blocking the IL-1 mediate inflammatory pathway. In other words, IRAP is equivalent to liquid Motrin and will reduce pain and inflammation in the joint, but will do nothing to assist with healing or regeneration of tissue. For this reason, the surgeons at Glashow Orthopedics do not currently offer this procedure.
Cartilage Grafting:Cartilage grafting is a surgical procedure offered by our Upper East Side NYC orthopedic surgeons that replaces damaged cartilage with healthy cartilage. Cartilage grafting is performed to correct joint deformities and restore the weight-bearing capability of the affected joint.Cartilage grafting is indicated in patients with articular cartilage damage in the joint to restore normal functioning of the joint. We have used stem cell therapy for conditions of the shoulder, knee, and more.
Hylgan / Hyuloron Injections / Gel Injections:Hyaluronan is one of the components of synovial fluid, which lubricates and acts as a shock absorber within the knee joint.The main benefit of having an hylagan / hyuloron injection is that it supplements and/or replaces the synovial fluid within the knee-joint. Originally intended for patients with osteoarthritis of the knee it is also of value to our sports injury and knee patients and can result in relief from pain for up to 6 months.
Platelet-rich plasma injections or PRP injections:Platelet-rich plasma injections or PRP injections utilize the patients own blood platelets to promote rapid healing of wounds and soft tissue disorders as an alternative option to various necessary orthopedic surgery. PRP injections have been successfully used to help heal tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints. Our Orthopedic surgeons will determine if you are a candidate for this cutting edge procedure. In clinical studiesPRP injections are showing measurable results of improved function and decreased pain in clinical studies. The healthy platelets are derived from the cells in your bone marrow along with red blood cells and plasma. In order to undergo PRP injections, the patients blood is drawn into a tube which is then spun or centrifuged to create the platelet-rich plasma. The platelet-rich plasma is then injected into the injured area under local anesthesia.
Our team of orthopedic surgeons, specialty nurses, physiotherapists and support staff are dedicated to managing your specific orthopedicsurgery and working together to ensure your needs are exceeded from consultation to following surgical discharge. Our goal is to deliver premium orthopaedic care using the latest techniques and advancements to achieve the best outcomes and help people return to pain-free, functional lives. Please read some of ourNYC Orthopedic Surgeons Top Reviews.
Our orthopedic surgeons pride ourselves with providing you highly personalized and comprehensive surgical fracture care. Our philosophy of direct doctor to patient care at every visit has made us one of the most trusted and respected practices on the Upper East Side in NYC. Feel free to contact us today, at any time, and start yourself on the road to recovery.
Dr. Jonathan Glashow, MD 737 Park Ave # 1C New York, NY 10021 (212) 794-5096
- Kyle Larson's First Payday After His NASCAR Suspension is Smaller Than You Might Think - Sportscasting - May 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Prevention Prescription - The New Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We must follow the rules to keep out coronavirus - Gulf News - May 26th, 2020
- Japanese newborn to receive the worlds first liver stem cell - News Landed - May 23rd, 2020
- First American to Receive Placental Cell Treatment For COVID-19 is an Acclaimed Broadway Scenic Designer - Science Times - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- In the race to find a Covid-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - The National - May 22nd, 2020
- Indian tennis: For injury-plagued Yuki Bhambri, the lockdown is both a chance and another challenge - Scroll.in - May 22nd, 2020
- Who Believe? Chad Coulter's spirit lives on through his son on and off the field - Dave Campbell's Texas Football - May 19th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals doctors gave him translucent blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cel - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Doctor, Heal Thyself: Physician Burnout In The Wake Of Covid-19 - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Outbreak on edge of Navajo Nation overwhelms rural hospital - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 19th, 2020
- More than 290000 Covid-19 cases in Mena - MEED - May 19th, 2020
- Beware This COVID-19 Vaccine 'Study' From an 80s Teen Tech Titan and a Carnivorous Plant Smuggler - The Daily Beast - May 19th, 2020
- Higher risk of infection, changes to treatment makes COVID-19 a double threat for cancer patients - theday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Nancy Davidson describes plans for reopening the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance as COVID-19 wave recedes - The Cancer Letter - May 16th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 16th, 2020
- The first breakthrough coronavirus antibody drug might finally be here - BGR - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus: The trials and triumphs of UAE residents - Gulf News - May 16th, 2020
- Daughter of former journalist who died of colon cancer battling cancer of the bones - Nairobi News - May 16th, 2020
- Cancer treatment inspires new dad to raise 18k for NNUH with mass head shave - Eastern Daily Press - May 16th, 2020
- Doubts cast on claims that '19m Brits have had coronavirus' - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 16th, 2020
- UAE's first Covid-19 patient to recover after stem-cell therapy tells of medical journey - The National - May 12th, 2020
- Doctors Say Inflammation Might be the Root of COVID-19 Along with Other Diseases Such as Cancer and Dementia - Tech Times - May 12th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 12th, 2020
- Growing Number of Patients Suffering From Neurological Disorder to Support the Growth of Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market, TMR - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- Q&A: 'Survivor' champ Ethan Zohn's deep Colorado connection, who he was shocked to see on the beach and his epic episode - Colorado Springs Gazette - May 12th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Excessive haste in approving COVID-19 drugs is a no-no : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - May 12th, 2020
- Tens of thousands of cancer patients STILL havent received NHS coronavirus shielding letters - The Sun - May 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Latest updates on COVID-19 crisis around the world - Outlook India - May 10th, 2020
- Needs way to measure pain besides the scale of 1-10 - Coastal Courier - May 1st, 2020
- Brave intensive care nurse, 27, diagnosed with rare cancer just weeks after dream wedding dies of disease - The Sun - May 1st, 2020
- RIP Rishi Kapoor! Succumbing to Leukemia, Veteran Actor Dies at 67 in Mumbai, Here is all You Need to Know Ab - India.com - May 1st, 2020
- The teenager who survived cancer, sepsis and a collapsed lung - Wales Online - May 1st, 2020
- Shares of Mesoblast Tumbled Over 20% Today After Doubling Last Week - The Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- THE BENEFITS OF TADALAFIL FOR ENLARGED PROSTATE AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION - RecentlyHeard.com - April 29th, 2020
- Cancer treatment made me infertile at 29heres how Im planning to have a family now - Well+Good - April 27th, 2020
- Incarceration Is Killing Us - Truthout - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus Doctors experiment with stem cell therapy on COVID-19 patients CBS News 9:39 AM - KTVQ Billings News - April 26th, 2020
- Call for 'sofa life-savers' as stem cell register takes a hit - Hereford Times - April 26th, 2020
- How effective is PLX cell therapy in treating coronavirus? Experts answer all queries and more - India TV News - April 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: Is It Allergies or COVID-19? - HealthDay Live - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 24th, 2020
- HealthDay Reports: More Good News on Remdesivir's Power to Treat COVID-19 - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Stem cell therapy more effective on Covid-19' - Korea Biomedical Review - April 21st, 2020
- Planned Clinical Trial of Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Remestemcel-L in Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 21st, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - KSBW The Central Coast - April 20th, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - WPBF West Palm Beach - April 18th, 2020
- Devoted coach, father and husband remembered for 'bringing out the best' in people throughout life - Elk Grove Citizen - April 18th, 2020
- Helping the helpers - The Jewish Standard - April 18th, 2020
- List of coronavirus treatments now being tested in clinical trials - Business Insider UK - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness an Uptick during 2017 to 2025 - Science In Me - April 13th, 2020
- A Quarantine Trendsetter - Long Island Weekly News - April 13th, 2020
- What We Know About Masks and the New Coronavirus - The New Yorker - April 13th, 2020
- TISSUE REGENERATION TECHNOLOGIES Announces That Its First Coronavirus Clinical Trial Has Been Initiated Utilizing Unfocused Shockwave Therapy... - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: The truth about the F1 champ's recovery after a devastating head injury in 2013 - EconoTimes - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: Timeline of F1 champion's recovery bid - Express.co.uk - April 13th, 2020
- Column: Scientific advancements in the time of COVID-19 and what they offer us - The Daily Tar Heel - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Tips for Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Curetoday.com - April 8th, 2020
- Medical 'Wonder Women' making a difference in the region's fight on coronavirus - The Arab Weekly - April 8th, 2020
- Ive had Seder in isolation, and this is my message of hope - The Jerusalem Post - April 8th, 2020
- Did a Cult Hair-Care Line Cause Thousands of Women to Lose Their Hair? - The New York Times - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus can cause loss of smell and scientists think they know why - ZME Science - April 8th, 2020
- Former England footballer Geoff Thomas backs Mirror campaign to give NHS heroes a medal - Mirror Online - April 8th, 2020
- Roma woman tells of her 'life-changing' MS treatment - Whitsunday Times - April 8th, 2020
- Working Together Working Together: Indianapolis couple offers Airbnb to healthcare workers Nicole Griffin 1:41 PM - WRTV Indianapolis - March 30th, 2020
- Smith trying to turn the corner on cancer battle - Johnson City Press (subscription) - March 30th, 2020
- Adam Castillejo 'feared dying of cancer more than Aids and considered ending it all at Dignitas' Daily Mail - westofthepond.com - March 30th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapy startup ElevateBio raises $170 million - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- Tom Coburn, the Dr. No of Congress, Is Dead at 72 - The New York Times - March 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2017 2025 - Daily Science - March 28th, 2020
- Iranian scientist claims to have invented drug for COVID-19 treatment - The Express Tribune - March 28th, 2020
- Indian doctors try to find out how they can build interferon through human cells to treat COVID-19 patients - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- Explainer: what is cocooning and how can it be implemented? - Independent.ie - March 28th, 2020
- More Than A Survivor: Stories of Warriors - Curetoday.com - March 26th, 2020
- Lost Smell and Taste Hint COVID-19 Can Target the Nervous System - The Scientist - March 26th, 2020
- While we were stockpiling, here's what astronauts were up to in space last week - CNN - March 26th, 2020
- While we were stockpiling, here's what astronauts were up to in space last week - KTVZ - March 26th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: Neurosurgeon contradicted Jean Todt statements that F1 legend is 'still fighting,' says Schumi is different now -... - March 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 forcing Wisconsin's incarceration system to adapt - Wisconsin Examiner - March 24th, 2020
- Canton woman, man have stories to tell about cancer survivors - Wicked Local Canton - March 24th, 2020