July 6, 2017 Material design empowered by protein sequence space. Credit: Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, HKUST
Hydrogels, noted for their biomimetic properties, are the leading materials for biomedical applications, such as drug delivery and stem cell therapy. Traditional hydrogels made up of either synthetic polymers or natural biomolecules often serve as passive scaffolds for molecular or cellular species, which render these materials unable to fully recapitulate the dynamic signaling involved in biological processes, such as cell/tissue development.
Photo-responsive hydrogels are of particular interest to material scientists, because light is regarded as an ideal tool to control molecules or cell behavior with high spatiotemporal precision and little invasiveness. The major challenge for scientist is how to assemble these complex globular proteins into supramolecular architectures efficiently while preserving their function.
In a recent research, a group of scientists from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology created a B12-dependent light-sensing hydrogel by covalently stitching together the photoreceptor C-terminal adenosylcobalamin binding domain (CarHC) proteins under mild conditions. This direct assembly of stimuli-responsive proteins into hydrogels represents a versatile solution for designing "smart" materials and opens up enormous opportunities for future material biology.
The findings were published in the journal PNAS on June 6, 2017.
"In our research, we were able to create an entirely recombinant protein-based light-sensitive hydrogels by covalently assembling the CarHC photoreceptor proteins using genetically encoded SpyTag-SpyCatcher chemistry," said Fei Sun, author of the paper and assistant professor at HKUST's department of chemical and biomolecular engineering. "The AdoB12-dependent CarHC tetramerization has been shown to be essential for the formation of an elastic hydrogel in the dark, which can undergo a rapid gel-sol transition caused by light-induced CarHC disassembly."
"The resulting hydrogel composed of physically self-assembled CarHC polymers exhibited a rapid gel-sol transition on light exposure, which enabled the facile release/recovery of 3T3 fibroblasts and human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) from 3D cultures while maintaining their viability." Sun added. "Given the growing demand for creating stimuli-responsive "smart" hydrogels, the direct assembly of stimuli-responsive proteins into hydrogels represents a versatile strategy for designing dynamically tunable materials."
Explore further: Investigating folding stability and dynamics of proteins
More information: Ri Wang et al, B12-dependent photoresponsive protein hydrogels for controlled stem cell/protein release, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2017). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1621350114
Journal reference: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Provided by: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Hydrogels are polymer materials that can absorb a large amount of water, making them flexible like human tissue. They are used in a number of medical applications, including contact lenses, wound dressings, and facial reconstruction.
The U.S. Army Research Laboratory's Army Research Office (ARO) recently awarded a New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering researcher a grant to advance protein-engineered, environmentally responsive hydrogels ...
(Phys.org)A team of researchers at Johannes Kepler University Linz has developed a new type of glue that can be used to bond hydrogels to other hard or soft objects. In their paper published on the open-access site Science ...
Researchers at Okayama University describe in Acta Biomaterialia a new type of biocompatible adhesive material. The adhesive, made from nanoparticles of hydroxyapatite, glues both synthetic hydrogels and mouse soft tissue, ...
Carnegie Mellon University chemists have developed two novel methods to characterize 3-dimensional macroporous hydrogelsmaterials that hold great promise for developing "smart" responsive materials that can be used for ...
The human body has limited ability to self-repair damage to cartilage or bone. Implantable 'bioscaffold' materials that can be seeded with cells can potentially be used to regenerate these critical tissues. One such biomaterial ...
A new low-temperature solution printing technique allows fabrication of high-efficiency perovskite solar cells with large crystals intended to minimize current-robbing grain boundaries. The meniscus-assisted solution printing ...
In the battle of the batteries, lithium-ion technology is the reigning champion, powering that cellphone in your pocket as well as an increasing number of electric vehicles on the road.
(Phys.org)The synthesis of carboxylic acid derivatives from unsaturated carbon compounds is important for making chemicals used in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, polymers, and agrochemicals. In industry this reaction is done ...
During sepsis, cells are swamped with reactive oxygen species generated in an aberrant response of the immune system to a local infection. If this fatal inflammatory path could be interfered, new treatment schemes could be ...
Marijuana is now legal for recreational or medicinal use in at least 28 states and the District of Columbia. But driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal no matter which state you're in. To enforce the law, authorities ...
Researchers at The University of Manchester in collaboration with Central South University (CSU), China, have created a new kind of ceramic coating that could revolutionise hypersonic travel for air, space and defense purposes.
Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more
- New technology May Raise the quality of stem cells Found in regenerative medicine - Microbioz India - July 8th, 2020
- AIDS 2020: Researchers describe a possible case of HIV remission and a new method to prevent infection - The Philadelphia Tribune - July 8th, 2020
- Trending: Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis And In-Depth Research Growth By Major Players Forecast 2020 2026| Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM... - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Industry Size, Growth, Revenue, Global Statistics and Forecast to 2026 -... - July 8th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Market Business Opportunities, Analysis and Development Overview by 2026 | CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech - 3rd... - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market 2020: Business Development, Size, Share and Opportunities 2026 - NJ MMA News - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Artificial Meat Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Studies uncover new approaches to combat hair loss in men and women - Business MattersBusiness Matters - July 8th, 2020
- Eight Cambridge researchers elected as members of the European Molecular Biology Organisation - Cambridge Network - July 8th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Global Cell And Tissue Analysis Products Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis... - July 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Business Outlook, Top Manufacturers, Development Trends, Growth Projection and Forecast Research 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market: Understand The Key Growth Drivers Developments And Innovations - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Global AUTOMATED CELL CULTURE Market 2020 | Industry Future Growth, Key Player Analysis and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute terminated by McMaster University - TheSpec.com - July 5th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - July 5th, 2020
- Legalization of abortion produced identity crisis for pro-life Irish Catholics - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - CueReport - June 30th, 2020
- Long-Term Culture of Human Pancreatic Slices Reveals the Regeneration of Insulin-producing Cells in Real Time : SF STAT! - South Florida Hospital News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Future Trends and Forecast to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Culture Media Market 2020: Challenges, Drivers, Analysis, Types, Applications and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2026 | COVID19 Impact Analysis NanoCellect... - June 30th, 2020
- Top Investment Opportunities in Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market after COVID-19 Outbreak: Strategies by Key Players: Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - June 30th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market in India-Manufacturing and Consumption, Outlook and Forecast 2020-2026 - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Hematology Instruments and Reagents Market to Witness Promising Growth Opportunities During 20202026 with Top Leading... - June 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market To Reach USD 8.75 Billion by 2027 | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - June 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 | Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2027: ANTRIA (CRO),... - June 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026: Analysed By Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, And Future Prospects - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- The biotech IPO boom is becoming 'historic' as four more throw their hats in - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Odessa American - June 29th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher is reportedly getting another stem-cell surgery; Journalist alleged it will be an experimental procedure - EconoTimes - June 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss Opportunities - Apsters... - June 29th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Market Size : Technological Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market 2020 Newest Industry Data, Future Trends and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Biotechnology Reagents Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Trending: Viral Inactivation Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| Danaher, Merck,... - June 29th, 2020
- Takeda takes a $200M hit after Novartis is forced to yank its marketing application for Xiidra - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Post COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Market and its Market Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out... - June 25th, 2020
- Astrocyte-to-Neuron Method Reverses Neurodegeneration in Mice - The Scientist - June 25th, 2020
- Survey: Impact Of Covid-19 On Media for Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Opportunities in Market and Expansion By 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- BIOBANKS MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS WITH FORECAST BY 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Coming Future - Bulletin Line - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report (2020-2025) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 25th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market (2019-2024) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Supporting Equipment Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development size COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Estimation, Industry Demand, Growth Trend, Chain Structure, Supply and Demand Forecast (2020-2027) - Morning Tick - June 25th, 2020
- Sussex eye surgeon's guide to glaucoma, the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the UK - Bognor Regis Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Beyond Federal Restrictions ... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Drugs Market Research with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Competitive Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Product Witness (es) Dampening Sales as ABC End-use Industry Suffers Massive Blow Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- In Bengaluru, a constellation if institutions - The Hindu - June 21st, 2020
- Bone Allograft and Xenograft Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Medical Thawing System Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Top Key Players | Helmer Scientific, Sarstedt, Sartorius, Biocision,... - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis On Trends & Need 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- 2025 Projeaction: Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Surface Markers Market is expected to grow from USD 561.02 Million in 2019 to USD 903.48 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market in COVID-19: Implications and Business Opportunities for Growth Globally - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 13,177.29 Million in 2019 to USD 28,822.19 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 6,356.88 Million in 2019 to USD 14,485.68 Million by the end of 2025 at... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Key Players, Opportunities, Challenges, Trend and Forecast by... - June 20th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Insights 2019 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed Report,... - June 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Record a Robust Growth Rate for the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020