Even though Richard Lopez is still in high school, he can already tell you a thing or two about the ureteric bud, the metanephric mesenchyme and the developing kidney.
More impressively, he was familiar with these terms before starting his summer internship in the lab of Andy McMahon, kidney researcher and director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC.
I knew I was going to come here, Lopez said. So from December on, I was just reading papers that were written by Dr. McMahons lab. And so I read about the development of the kidney, kidney organoids, experimental methods like in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, all that stuff. Im really glad I did all of that because now that Im here, I understand whats going on.
Lopez undertook this intense preparation as part of the Science Research Program at his Connecticut boarding school, Choate Rosemary Hall. In addition to familiarizing him with the McMahon labs research, the program provided experience with useful molecular biology techniques, ranging from gel electrophoresis to polymerase chain reaction.
Lopez didnt start his high school career at Choate. Growing up in Lennox near the Los Angeles International Airport, he attended local public schools until his sophomore year in high school. At that point, his exceptional scores on the California Standardized Test attracted the attention of the Young Eisner Scholar program, which empowers underserved students to fulfill their potential.
As an Eisner Scholar, he earned both admission and a full scholarship to attend Choate. But the decision to leave home wasnt easy.
I was terrified at first, leaving everything behind, he said. I talked to my mom about it, and at first she was hesitant because I was born and raised here, and Im the only child. But then she realized that this is an amazing opportunity, and I cant let it go by.
Lopez recalls that Choate was initially in a huge culture shock from the occasional Maserati to the international student body to the exceptional academic opportunities such as the Science Research Program that brought him to USC.
In the McMahon lab, Lopez has learned about the molecular signals that drive the branching development of the kidney, and he has practiced a wide range of lab techniques.
Im really excited about science because I know its potential.
Im really excited and passionate about science because I know its potential, he said. If you pair that with math, you have no boundaries. If you look at the lab where Im working right now creating kidney organoids, learning about kidney development, these kinds of things can solve really burdensome illnesses that are fatal to some people, like end-stage renal disease and polycystic kidney disease.
To get to the lab every day, Lopez bike commutes a total of 32 miles from his home in Lennox to USCs Health Sciences Campus. Hes run the Los Angeles Marathon once and the San Francisco Marathon twice. In November, hes planning to travel to Florida to celebrate his 18th birthday with his first Ironman Triathlon a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2-mile run.
Hes participating in these events not only for fun and fitness, but also as a way to give back. Hes currently raising sponsorship money for the Partnership Scholars Program, which provides underserved junior high and high school students with educational and cultural experiences, ranging from theatergoing to restaurant outings to college tours. His goal is to raise $54,000 to fund three new scholars.
I was very lucky, he said. So I want to raise money for the scholarships that have helped me out along the way.
More stories about: Research, Stem Cells
Middle and high school students visit labs and tour USCs stem cell research center,cancer center and Keck Hospital of USC.
Its never too early to get teens interested in science, as evidenced by these enthusiastic researchers.
The teens boost their scientific IQ by conducting research in USC labs.
Andy McMahon and his colleagues investigate ways to help the millions who suffer from the chronic ailment.
- Analysis Determines Cost Effectiveness of Various Treatment Strategies for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 11th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy helped Owen Franks but there's still plenty to prove - Stuff.co.nz - October 11th, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics to Present at Metabesity 2019 - Business Wire - October 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 08-Year Market Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report - The Tribune City - October 10th, 2019
- New Cambridge research could lead to novel cancer therapies - Business Weekly - October 10th, 2019
- Global 3D Bioprinting Market Outlook, 2019-2024 - Market Anticipated to Reach $1.64 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019: Prosperous Growth, Recent Trends and Demand by Top Key Vendors like Anika Therapeutics, Biomet,... - October 10th, 2019
- Industry Champion Jim Greenwood to Retire Following 2020 Elections - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coatings Market will Going to be Worth US$ 623.4 Mn by 2020 - Online News Guru - October 10th, 2019
- NIH funding bolsters rare diseases research collaborations | National Institutes of Health - National Institutes of Health - October 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Global Market News 24 - October 4th, 2019
- Genome editing to be tested in kidney organoids - UW Medicine Newsroom - October 2nd, 2019
- First Patient Enrolled in Novel Stem Cell Trial for Heart Failure Treatment - Newswise - October 2nd, 2019
- Vor Biopharma Hires Senior Cell and Gene Therapy Leaders as Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Research - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2019
- Now in development: off-the-shelf stem cells - Knowable Magazine - September 28th, 2019
- Immunity Against Cancer? Engineered Killer T Cells May Be the Key. - SciTechDaily - September 28th, 2019
- 'Provocative' Results With Stem Cells in Progressive MS - Medscape - September 27th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Bay Area - September 27th, 2019
- Finding alternatives to animal testing - University of California - September 27th, 2019
- Gene therapy shows promise repairing brain tissue damaged by stroke - National Institute on Aging - September 27th, 2019
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2019 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2019
- Science Talk - Celebrating Professor Sir Mel Greaves and his legacy in leukaemia research - The Institute of Cancer Research - September 27th, 2019
- New restrictions put fetal tissue research in the balance - AAMCNews - September 25th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Southern California - September 25th, 2019
- New Research Suggests a Cure for HIV Could be on the Horizon - BioSpace - September 25th, 2019
- iSpecimen Increases Global Access to Hematopoietic Stem and Immune Cells - Business Wire - September 25th, 2019
- Alternative medical treatments and compassionate use - Lexology - September 25th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to witness huge Growth during the forecast period 2019-2025: Advanced Cell Technology Inc, Cellartis AB, STEMCELL Technologies Inc ... - September 25th, 2019
- It's not 'sorry' but 'thank you' that seems to be the hardest word - Charity Today News - September 25th, 2019
- New Insight as to How Cells Maintain Their Identity - Nature World News - September 22nd, 2019
- Abortion opponents hold memorials at fetal burial sites amid battle over how these remains should be treated - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - ScoopJunction - September 22nd, 2019
- Can old drugs put a leash on wandering cancer cells? - Newsroom - September 22nd, 2019
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Sask. woman reflects on cancer journey before leading inaugural Multiple Myeloma March - News Talk 980 CJME - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2019-2029: Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication,11 Countries' Data, and Competitive... - September 21st, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Focus on Global Biotechnology Reagents Market - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2019
- Editing Muscle Stem Cells with CRISPR Treats Mouse Model of Muscular Dystrophy - DocWire News - September 21st, 2019
- Mutant Tau Stiffens Axon Cytoskeleton Near Soma - Alzforum - September 21st, 2019
- Testing chemicals for birth defects using stem cells, not mice - UC Riverside - September 21st, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Market is Booming Market to Rapidly Growing $ 387.9 Million by 2026 with Top Key Players PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec,... - September 21st, 2019
- Stem Cells May Be Able To Repair The Brain - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- MS News that Caught My Eye: Stem Cell Transplants, Remyelination Agent, Tecfidera Study, Plasma Exchange and Tysabri-linked PML - Multiple Sclerosis... - September 20th, 2019
- Tiny 'envelopes' show promise for sun-damaged skin repair - Futurity: Research News - September 20th, 2019
- Hope for Sickle Cell Warriors: A Cure Exists and Support from the Black Community Could Help Save More Lives - EBONY - September 20th, 2019
- Latest Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market To Flourish And Reach USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 20th, 2019
- Ruth Lehmann elected as director of Whitehead Institute - MIT News - September 20th, 2019
- Regulatory heft needed to curb false promises on stem cells, says health law expert - Folio - University of Alberta - September 20th, 2019
- Releases New Report on the Stem Cell Banking Market 2017-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 20th, 2019
- In Mice and Men, Prostate Drug Reportedly Treats Parkinson's Disease? - Alzforum - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 20th, 2019
- Global & US Gene Therapy Market 2019-2020: Immunodeficiency Syndromes - The Focus of Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - September 20th, 2019
- Ten-Year Bone Cancer Survivor Rides 'Coast 2 Coast' - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Size Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2025 - Daily News Collectors - September 20th, 2019
- Current State Of Longevity Clinical Trials - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- Crigler-Najjar Syndrome Market Insights 2019-2026: Audentes Therapeutics Inc, Genethon SA, International Stem Cell Corp - US Trade Media - September 20th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Analysis, Growth, Size, Share, Demand & Forecast 2019-2026: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck Group, Abcam... - September 20th, 2019
- Reported stem cell treatment could give hope to Michael Schumacher - Stuff.co.nz - September 18th, 2019
- USC researchers untangle cellular reprogramming to help treat diseases - USC News - September 18th, 2019
- India- Cell Counting Market Size is Estimated to Value $10679.7 Million By 2025: Grand View Research, Inc - MENAFN.COM - September 18th, 2019
- CyTOF Inventors Receive Prestigious Science and Technology Award from the Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Genome-editing shows potential for treating HIV in patient - BioNews - September 18th, 2019
- New technology developed to screen for Huntington's treatments - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2019
- Device can produce synthetic human embryo-like parts - Washington Times - September 18th, 2019
- Global Advanced Wound Care Markets to 2024: Emerging Technologies such as Crab Shell Bandages, Bacteriophages, Platelets, and Stem Cell Therapies are... - September 18th, 2019
- Growth of the Global Cord Blood Stem Cell Market Driven by Improvements in Product Design - Business Broker - September 18th, 2019
- Couple give embryos, 'hope' to UM in fight against rare disease - The Detroit News - September 18th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization - Wolf Mirror - September 18th, 2019
- Research: By exploiting a feature of the immune system, researchers open the door for stem cell transplants to repair the brain - Tdnews - September 18th, 2019
- Study Of Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market And Also Elements For Its Future Growth 2026 - Coherent Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Attorney General trying to intimidate witness testifying about live fetal hearts: lawyers - Lifesite - September 18th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 18th, 2019
- Demand for Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Driven by Shifting Consumer Perceptions and Growing Awareness - My Health Reporter - September 18th, 2019
- Major Players of Serum-Free Media Market By Type: protein expression media, stem cell media, hybridoma media, primary cell media, insect cell media -... - September 18th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Insights on Upcoming Trends 2025 - Spaceflight News - September 18th, 2019
- X4 Pharmaceuticals Appoints Renato Skerlj, Ph.D. as Senior Vice President of Research and Development - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Pathogenic Escherichia coli | Nature Reviews Microbiology - May 27th, 2019
- Pathways to Stem Cell Science | Pluripotent Stem Cell ... - May 14th, 2019
- What are the unique properties of stem cells - answers.com - May 2nd, 2019