BOSTON In his offices at Boston Childrens Hospital, Leonard Zon is busily developing cutting-edge stem cell therapies surrounded by fellow researchers, lab equipment and 300,000 striped, transparent zebrafish.
Zons lab and the zebrafish are the results of an initiative begun nearly a decade ago to make Massachusetts one of the countrys premier life sciences incubators.
That 2008 initiative, signed by former Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick, committed Massachusetts to spending $1 billion over 10 years to jump-start the life sciences sector attracting the best minds, research facilities and the venture capital funding.
By most yardsticks, Patricks gamble has paid off. Massachusetts, and the greater Boston area in particular, are now seen as a top life sciences hub.
For Zon, and other life sciences leaders, the support has been transformative.
In 2013, the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, which is charged with distributing the state funds, awarded a $4 million grant to Childrens Hospital to help establish the Childrens Center for Cell Therapy. Some of the money went toward replacing the original aquaculture facilities at Zons lab with state-of-the-art systems.
Zon said the changes helped him pursue stem cell therapies taking tissues grown from stem cells aimed at thwarting specific diseases and transplanting them into a diseased organ. Zon said his lab helped develop a drug for treating a blood disease known as Diamond Blackfan anemia in part by developing zebrafish models of the disease.
Massachusetts is the best place in the world for biotechnology, he said. Its been life-changing for us.
Zons experience isnt unique.
NxStage Medical, Inc., a medical technology company founded in 1998 in Lawrence focused on end-stage renal disease and acute kidney failure, received nearly $1.8 million in tax incentives through the program. In 2013, Woburn-based Bio2 Technologies received $1 million in loan financing, helping it develop bone graft substitute implants.
The states reputation as a magnet for life sciences also can be seen in the surge of construction in Boston and Cambridge, particularly around the Kendall Square area, where glass-lined office and research buildings have sprouted.
Travis McCready, CEO of the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, also pointed to the influx of grant money from the National Institutes of Health and funds from world-class academic and research institutions.
By pretty much any measure we are considered the leading life sciences ecosystem in the U.S., and among the leading ecosystems in the world, McCready said.
McCready said the 2008 initiative helped create a framework for that growth, even as he acknowledged that not every company or research effort that receives funding succeeds.
Some of these startups are going to fail, but ideas will be tested and intellectual property will be created, he said. Failure is not a negative.
McCready said a top goal of the program is to develop the next generation of researchers. The center funds over 500 life sciences internships each year with about a quarter of those landing full-time jobs at the company where they interned.
He said that talent pool is critical to the next stage in the life science revolution: bio-manufacturing and digital health.
Bio-manufacturing refers to the ability of research labs and life science companies to take their breakthroughs and start manufacturing them on a large scale. He pointed to a decision by Kendall Square-based Alnylam Pharmaceuticals to open a 200,000-square-foot manufacturing space in Norton, just 45 minutes away.
He said the state also is hoping to builds up the digital health sector, where large sets of scientific data are used to look for new therapies and how best to deliver those medicines inexpensively.
Today we are the undisputed global leader in the field, Patrick said this week in a statement to The Associated Press. Public investment not only catalyzed hundreds of millions of dollars in private investment and created thousands of jobs, but contributes meaningfully to the development of life changing treatments and cures for people around the world.
Republican Gov. Charlie Baker is hoping to building on the initiative.
In June, Baker announced a proposal to dedicate $500 million over five years to continue strengthening the life sciences sector with a focus on public infrastructure, research and development, workforce training and education.
Baker said hes committed to supporting the public-private partnerships and strategic investments that have made Massachusetts a global leader in the life sciences.
Go here to see the original:
Deval Patrick's 10-year, $1B life sciences plan bears fruit in Mass. - The Recorder
- Analysis Determines Cost Effectiveness of Various Treatment Strategies for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 11th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy helped Owen Franks but there's still plenty to prove - Stuff.co.nz - October 11th, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics to Present at Metabesity 2019 - Business Wire - October 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 08-Year Market Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report - The Tribune City - October 10th, 2019
- New Cambridge research could lead to novel cancer therapies - Business Weekly - October 10th, 2019
- Global 3D Bioprinting Market Outlook, 2019-2024 - Market Anticipated to Reach $1.64 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019: Prosperous Growth, Recent Trends and Demand by Top Key Vendors like Anika Therapeutics, Biomet,... - October 10th, 2019
- Industry Champion Jim Greenwood to Retire Following 2020 Elections - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coatings Market will Going to be Worth US$ 623.4 Mn by 2020 - Online News Guru - October 10th, 2019
- NIH funding bolsters rare diseases research collaborations | National Institutes of Health - National Institutes of Health - October 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Global Market News 24 - October 4th, 2019
- Genome editing to be tested in kidney organoids - UW Medicine Newsroom - October 2nd, 2019
- First Patient Enrolled in Novel Stem Cell Trial for Heart Failure Treatment - Newswise - October 2nd, 2019
- Vor Biopharma Hires Senior Cell and Gene Therapy Leaders as Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Research - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2019
- Now in development: off-the-shelf stem cells - Knowable Magazine - September 28th, 2019
- Immunity Against Cancer? Engineered Killer T Cells May Be the Key. - SciTechDaily - September 28th, 2019
- 'Provocative' Results With Stem Cells in Progressive MS - Medscape - September 27th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Bay Area - September 27th, 2019
- Finding alternatives to animal testing - University of California - September 27th, 2019
- Gene therapy shows promise repairing brain tissue damaged by stroke - National Institute on Aging - September 27th, 2019
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2019 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2019
- Science Talk - Celebrating Professor Sir Mel Greaves and his legacy in leukaemia research - The Institute of Cancer Research - September 27th, 2019
- New restrictions put fetal tissue research in the balance - AAMCNews - September 25th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Southern California - September 25th, 2019
- New Research Suggests a Cure for HIV Could be on the Horizon - BioSpace - September 25th, 2019
- iSpecimen Increases Global Access to Hematopoietic Stem and Immune Cells - Business Wire - September 25th, 2019
- Alternative medical treatments and compassionate use - Lexology - September 25th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to witness huge Growth during the forecast period 2019-2025: Advanced Cell Technology Inc, Cellartis AB, STEMCELL Technologies Inc ... - September 25th, 2019
- It's not 'sorry' but 'thank you' that seems to be the hardest word - Charity Today News - September 25th, 2019
- New Insight as to How Cells Maintain Their Identity - Nature World News - September 22nd, 2019
- Abortion opponents hold memorials at fetal burial sites amid battle over how these remains should be treated - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - ScoopJunction - September 22nd, 2019
- Can old drugs put a leash on wandering cancer cells? - Newsroom - September 22nd, 2019
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Sask. woman reflects on cancer journey before leading inaugural Multiple Myeloma March - News Talk 980 CJME - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2019-2029: Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication,11 Countries' Data, and Competitive... - September 21st, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Focus on Global Biotechnology Reagents Market - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2019
- Editing Muscle Stem Cells with CRISPR Treats Mouse Model of Muscular Dystrophy - DocWire News - September 21st, 2019
- Mutant Tau Stiffens Axon Cytoskeleton Near Soma - Alzforum - September 21st, 2019
- Testing chemicals for birth defects using stem cells, not mice - UC Riverside - September 21st, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Market is Booming Market to Rapidly Growing $ 387.9 Million by 2026 with Top Key Players PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec,... - September 21st, 2019
- Stem Cells May Be Able To Repair The Brain - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- MS News that Caught My Eye: Stem Cell Transplants, Remyelination Agent, Tecfidera Study, Plasma Exchange and Tysabri-linked PML - Multiple Sclerosis... - September 20th, 2019
- Tiny 'envelopes' show promise for sun-damaged skin repair - Futurity: Research News - September 20th, 2019
- Hope for Sickle Cell Warriors: A Cure Exists and Support from the Black Community Could Help Save More Lives - EBONY - September 20th, 2019
- Latest Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market To Flourish And Reach USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 20th, 2019
- Ruth Lehmann elected as director of Whitehead Institute - MIT News - September 20th, 2019
- Regulatory heft needed to curb false promises on stem cells, says health law expert - Folio - University of Alberta - September 20th, 2019
- Releases New Report on the Stem Cell Banking Market 2017-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 20th, 2019
- In Mice and Men, Prostate Drug Reportedly Treats Parkinson's Disease? - Alzforum - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 20th, 2019
- Global & US Gene Therapy Market 2019-2020: Immunodeficiency Syndromes - The Focus of Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - September 20th, 2019
- Ten-Year Bone Cancer Survivor Rides 'Coast 2 Coast' - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Size Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2025 - Daily News Collectors - September 20th, 2019
- Current State Of Longevity Clinical Trials - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- Crigler-Najjar Syndrome Market Insights 2019-2026: Audentes Therapeutics Inc, Genethon SA, International Stem Cell Corp - US Trade Media - September 20th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Analysis, Growth, Size, Share, Demand & Forecast 2019-2026: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck Group, Abcam... - September 20th, 2019
- Reported stem cell treatment could give hope to Michael Schumacher - Stuff.co.nz - September 18th, 2019
- USC researchers untangle cellular reprogramming to help treat diseases - USC News - September 18th, 2019
- India- Cell Counting Market Size is Estimated to Value $10679.7 Million By 2025: Grand View Research, Inc - MENAFN.COM - September 18th, 2019
- CyTOF Inventors Receive Prestigious Science and Technology Award from the Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Genome-editing shows potential for treating HIV in patient - BioNews - September 18th, 2019
- New technology developed to screen for Huntington's treatments - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2019
- Device can produce synthetic human embryo-like parts - Washington Times - September 18th, 2019
- Global Advanced Wound Care Markets to 2024: Emerging Technologies such as Crab Shell Bandages, Bacteriophages, Platelets, and Stem Cell Therapies are... - September 18th, 2019
- Growth of the Global Cord Blood Stem Cell Market Driven by Improvements in Product Design - Business Broker - September 18th, 2019
- Couple give embryos, 'hope' to UM in fight against rare disease - The Detroit News - September 18th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization - Wolf Mirror - September 18th, 2019
- Research: By exploiting a feature of the immune system, researchers open the door for stem cell transplants to repair the brain - Tdnews - September 18th, 2019
- Study Of Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market And Also Elements For Its Future Growth 2026 - Coherent Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Attorney General trying to intimidate witness testifying about live fetal hearts: lawyers - Lifesite - September 18th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 18th, 2019
- Demand for Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Driven by Shifting Consumer Perceptions and Growing Awareness - My Health Reporter - September 18th, 2019
- Major Players of Serum-Free Media Market By Type: protein expression media, stem cell media, hybridoma media, primary cell media, insect cell media -... - September 18th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Insights on Upcoming Trends 2025 - Spaceflight News - September 18th, 2019
- X4 Pharmaceuticals Appoints Renato Skerlj, Ph.D. as Senior Vice President of Research and Development - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Pathogenic Escherichia coli | Nature Reviews Microbiology - May 27th, 2019
- Pathways to Stem Cell Science | Pluripotent Stem Cell ... - May 14th, 2019
- What are the unique properties of stem cells - answers.com - May 2nd, 2019