Californias stem cell agency has awarded $5.8 million to UC San Diego researchers to develop a new variation of cancer immunotherapy.
The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, or CIRM, approved the grant last week to adapt CAR T-cell technology to fight cancer stem cells. These deadliest of cancer cells have stem cell-like properties that enable them to survive treatments against them and grow profusely. One surviving cell can re-create an entire tumor.
CAR T-cell therapy, pioneered by Dr. Carl June at the University of Pennsylvania, has been used against blood cancers. While not all of those gravely ill patients have survived, a number have experienced dramatic and long-lasting remissions.
UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center physicians led by Ezra Cohen will experiment with the therapy to deal with a variety of hard-to-treat solid tumors. These include head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, triple-negative breast cancer, pancreatic cancer and ovarian cancers. The preliminary research that yielded this potential treatment was funded by the San Diego-based Immunotherapy Foundation.
Heres how CAR T-cell therapy works: Doctors genetically engineer a patients T cells, part of the immune system, to recognize a protein, called an antigen, on cancer cells so they can destroy them.
The T cells are given what is called a chimeric antigen receptor, or CAR. This is an artificial construct that can recognize the antigen on cancer cells, signaling the immune system to attack. The antigen targeted varies with different versions of the technology.
The T cells are removed from the patient, given the cancer-fighting receptor construct, grown to sufficient numbers, then re-infused into the patient. The cells act as living drugs. They tend to stick around in the patient, ready to grow and attack again if the cancer recurs.
While this has been demonstrated in blood cancers, solid tumors pose a more difficult problem, because immune cells have more limited access to the interior of these tumors.
Cohen, associate director for translational science at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center, is a specialist in head and neck cancer. Among his patients: Ricki Rockett, the drummer from the band Poison.
Rockett, facing amputation of his tongue when he met Cohen, was given another kind of cancer immunotherapy, two drugs called checkpoint inhibitors that remove a molecular cloak that cancer cells use to hide from the immune system.
The treatment worked. The cancer disappeared, and Rocketts tongue was saved.
Its one year after his complete response, and hes still cancer-free, Cohen said. Rockett also went on tour with the band.
Cohen said the newly funded work with CAR T cells builds on earlier UC San Diego research that identified a receptor on some cancer cells as a promising new target. Its made in both solid tumors and blood cancers, but not in normal cells.
The receptor, tyrosine kinase-like orphan receptor or ROR1, is the target of a drug now being tested by Cohens colleague Dr. Thomas Kipps in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The drug, a monoclonal antibody called cirmtuzumab, is named after CIRM, which funded the research that produced the drug.
ROR1 is produced almost exclusively in the embryonic and early fetal stage, and helps the nascent tissues migrate to the right parts of the body, Cohen said. It appears to have virtually no use after that stage. So it appears to be a safe target. Thats been a challenge to find with cancer stem cells, because their genetic activity somewhat resembles that of normal stem cells.
For obvious reasons you don't want to eliminate all the stem cells in a person's body, Cohen said.
Theres some hints ROR1 might be produced in certain precursors to B cells, which are immune cells that make antibodies, he said. Its possible to live without B cells, as in the case where drugs destroy B cells to stop B-cell lymphoma.
The new project was sparked by Kipps research indicated that ROR1 was produced in high amounts in the hard-to-treat cancers. Cohen began thinking of how this knowledge could be applied with CAR T-cell technology
Cohen said preclinical research has already been performed for the new project. In cell culture tests, CAR T cells with the ROR1 receptor kill cancer stem cells with the receptor in those difficult cancers.
Funding for that research came from the Immunotherapy Foundation, created by San Diego philanthropists Ralph and Fernanda Whitworth in 2015 after Ralph Whitworth was diagnosed with cancer. He died of the disease in September 2016.
Christina Martinez, the Immunotherapy Foundations executive director, said Whitworth met with Cohen after his diagnosis, and became personally interested in advancing the research.
It was a serendipitous encounter, but he really saw the potential for a lasting partnership in his ability to be able to make a long-term contribution to the area of immunotherapy, Martinez said. This project was just one that fell under kind of an umbrella of projects that he was interested in and funding at UCSD. So he and Fernanda seeded that initial investment.
To further improve cancer immunotherapy, the Whitworths established the Immunotherapy Foundation. Fernanda Whitworth, president and co-founder, said shes pleased with the progress.
Ralph and I liked that these projects were designed to be tightly interconnected to leverage information and allow efficient movement into the clinic, she said. Today, I am proud to see this rational, focused approach is working.
Read the original post:
Cancer stem cells target of new grant to UCSD scientists - The San Diego Union-Tribune
- Analysis Determines Cost Effectiveness of Various Treatment Strategies for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 11th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy helped Owen Franks but there's still plenty to prove - Stuff.co.nz - October 11th, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics to Present at Metabesity 2019 - Business Wire - October 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 08-Year Market Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report - The Tribune City - October 10th, 2019
- New Cambridge research could lead to novel cancer therapies - Business Weekly - October 10th, 2019
- Global 3D Bioprinting Market Outlook, 2019-2024 - Market Anticipated to Reach $1.64 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019: Prosperous Growth, Recent Trends and Demand by Top Key Vendors like Anika Therapeutics, Biomet,... - October 10th, 2019
- Industry Champion Jim Greenwood to Retire Following 2020 Elections - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coatings Market will Going to be Worth US$ 623.4 Mn by 2020 - Online News Guru - October 10th, 2019
- NIH funding bolsters rare diseases research collaborations | National Institutes of Health - National Institutes of Health - October 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Global Market News 24 - October 4th, 2019
- Genome editing to be tested in kidney organoids - UW Medicine Newsroom - October 2nd, 2019
- First Patient Enrolled in Novel Stem Cell Trial for Heart Failure Treatment - Newswise - October 2nd, 2019
- Vor Biopharma Hires Senior Cell and Gene Therapy Leaders as Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Research - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2019
- Now in development: off-the-shelf stem cells - Knowable Magazine - September 28th, 2019
- Immunity Against Cancer? Engineered Killer T Cells May Be the Key. - SciTechDaily - September 28th, 2019
- 'Provocative' Results With Stem Cells in Progressive MS - Medscape - September 27th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Bay Area - September 27th, 2019
- Finding alternatives to animal testing - University of California - September 27th, 2019
- Gene therapy shows promise repairing brain tissue damaged by stroke - National Institute on Aging - September 27th, 2019
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2019 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2019
- Science Talk - Celebrating Professor Sir Mel Greaves and his legacy in leukaemia research - The Institute of Cancer Research - September 27th, 2019
- New restrictions put fetal tissue research in the balance - AAMCNews - September 25th, 2019
- 'I've Been Duped': Disabled Veteran Says He Spent Thousands at Health Center With No Improvement - NBC Southern California - September 25th, 2019
- New Research Suggests a Cure for HIV Could be on the Horizon - BioSpace - September 25th, 2019
- iSpecimen Increases Global Access to Hematopoietic Stem and Immune Cells - Business Wire - September 25th, 2019
- Alternative medical treatments and compassionate use - Lexology - September 25th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to witness huge Growth during the forecast period 2019-2025: Advanced Cell Technology Inc, Cellartis AB, STEMCELL Technologies Inc ... - September 25th, 2019
- It's not 'sorry' but 'thank you' that seems to be the hardest word - Charity Today News - September 25th, 2019
- New Insight as to How Cells Maintain Their Identity - Nature World News - September 22nd, 2019
- Abortion opponents hold memorials at fetal burial sites amid battle over how these remains should be treated - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - ScoopJunction - September 22nd, 2019
- Can old drugs put a leash on wandering cancer cells? - Newsroom - September 22nd, 2019
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Sask. woman reflects on cancer journey before leading inaugural Multiple Myeloma March - News Talk 980 CJME - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2019-2029: Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication,11 Countries' Data, and Competitive... - September 21st, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Focus on Global Biotechnology Reagents Market - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2019
- Editing Muscle Stem Cells with CRISPR Treats Mouse Model of Muscular Dystrophy - DocWire News - September 21st, 2019
- Mutant Tau Stiffens Axon Cytoskeleton Near Soma - Alzforum - September 21st, 2019
- Testing chemicals for birth defects using stem cells, not mice - UC Riverside - September 21st, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Market is Booming Market to Rapidly Growing $ 387.9 Million by 2026 with Top Key Players PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec,... - September 21st, 2019
- Stem Cells May Be Able To Repair The Brain - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- MS News that Caught My Eye: Stem Cell Transplants, Remyelination Agent, Tecfidera Study, Plasma Exchange and Tysabri-linked PML - Multiple Sclerosis... - September 20th, 2019
- Tiny 'envelopes' show promise for sun-damaged skin repair - Futurity: Research News - September 20th, 2019
- Hope for Sickle Cell Warriors: A Cure Exists and Support from the Black Community Could Help Save More Lives - EBONY - September 20th, 2019
- Latest Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market To Flourish And Reach USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 20th, 2019
- Ruth Lehmann elected as director of Whitehead Institute - MIT News - September 20th, 2019
- Regulatory heft needed to curb false promises on stem cells, says health law expert - Folio - University of Alberta - September 20th, 2019
- Releases New Report on the Stem Cell Banking Market 2017-2025 - Rapid News Network - September 20th, 2019
- In Mice and Men, Prostate Drug Reportedly Treats Parkinson's Disease? - Alzforum - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 20th, 2019
- Global & US Gene Therapy Market 2019-2020: Immunodeficiency Syndromes - The Focus of Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - September 20th, 2019
- Ten-Year Bone Cancer Survivor Rides 'Coast 2 Coast' - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Size Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2025 - Daily News Collectors - September 20th, 2019
- Current State Of Longevity Clinical Trials - Anti Aging News - September 20th, 2019
- Crigler-Najjar Syndrome Market Insights 2019-2026: Audentes Therapeutics Inc, Genethon SA, International Stem Cell Corp - US Trade Media - September 20th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Analysis, Growth, Size, Share, Demand & Forecast 2019-2026: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck Group, Abcam... - September 20th, 2019
- Reported stem cell treatment could give hope to Michael Schumacher - Stuff.co.nz - September 18th, 2019
- USC researchers untangle cellular reprogramming to help treat diseases - USC News - September 18th, 2019
- India- Cell Counting Market Size is Estimated to Value $10679.7 Million By 2025: Grand View Research, Inc - MENAFN.COM - September 18th, 2019
- CyTOF Inventors Receive Prestigious Science and Technology Award from the Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Genome-editing shows potential for treating HIV in patient - BioNews - September 18th, 2019
- New technology developed to screen for Huntington's treatments - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2019
- Device can produce synthetic human embryo-like parts - Washington Times - September 18th, 2019
- Global Advanced Wound Care Markets to 2024: Emerging Technologies such as Crab Shell Bandages, Bacteriophages, Platelets, and Stem Cell Therapies are... - September 18th, 2019
- Growth of the Global Cord Blood Stem Cell Market Driven by Improvements in Product Design - Business Broker - September 18th, 2019
- Couple give embryos, 'hope' to UM in fight against rare disease - The Detroit News - September 18th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization - Wolf Mirror - September 18th, 2019
- Research: By exploiting a feature of the immune system, researchers open the door for stem cell transplants to repair the brain - Tdnews - September 18th, 2019
- Study Of Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market And Also Elements For Its Future Growth 2026 - Coherent Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Attorney General trying to intimidate witness testifying about live fetal hearts: lawyers - Lifesite - September 18th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 18th, 2019
- Demand for Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Driven by Shifting Consumer Perceptions and Growing Awareness - My Health Reporter - September 18th, 2019
- Major Players of Serum-Free Media Market By Type: protein expression media, stem cell media, hybridoma media, primary cell media, insect cell media -... - September 18th, 2019
- Cancer Stem Cell Market Insights on Upcoming Trends 2025 - Spaceflight News - September 18th, 2019
- X4 Pharmaceuticals Appoints Renato Skerlj, Ph.D. as Senior Vice President of Research and Development - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Pathogenic Escherichia coli | Nature Reviews Microbiology - May 27th, 2019
- Pathways to Stem Cell Science | Pluripotent Stem Cell ... - May 14th, 2019
- What are the unique properties of stem cells - answers.com - May 2nd, 2019