Californias stem cell agency has awarded $5.8 million to UC San Diego researchers to develop a new variation of cancer immunotherapy.
The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, or CIRM, approved the grant last week to adapt CAR T-cell technology to fight cancer stem cells. These deadliest of cancer cells have stem cell-like properties that enable them to survive treatments against them and grow profusely. One surviving cell can re-create an entire tumor.
CAR T-cell therapy, pioneered by Dr. Carl June at the University of Pennsylvania, has been used against blood cancers. While not all of those gravely ill patients have survived, a number have experienced dramatic and long-lasting remissions.
UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center physicians led by Ezra Cohen will experiment with the therapy to deal with a variety of hard-to-treat solid tumors. These include head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, triple-negative breast cancer, pancreatic cancer and ovarian cancers. The preliminary research that yielded this potential treatment was funded by the San Diego-based Immunotherapy Foundation.
Heres how CAR T-cell therapy works: Doctors genetically engineer a patients T cells, part of the immune system, to recognize a protein, called an antigen, on cancer cells so they can destroy them.
The T cells are given what is called a chimeric antigen receptor, or CAR. This is an artificial construct that can recognize the antigen on cancer cells, signaling the immune system to attack. The antigen targeted varies with different versions of the technology.
The T cells are removed from the patient, given the cancer-fighting receptor construct, grown to sufficient numbers, then re-infused into the patient. The cells act as living drugs. They tend to stick around in the patient, ready to grow and attack again if the cancer recurs.
While this has been demonstrated in blood cancers, solid tumors pose a more difficult problem, because immune cells have more limited access to the interior of these tumors.
Cohen, associate director for translational science at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center, is a specialist in head and neck cancer. Among his patients: Ricki Rockett, the drummer from the band Poison.
Rockett, facing amputation of his tongue when he met Cohen, was given another kind of cancer immunotherapy, two drugs called checkpoint inhibitors that remove a molecular cloak that cancer cells use to hide from the immune system.
The treatment worked. The cancer disappeared, and Rocketts tongue was saved.
Its one year after his complete response, and hes still cancer-free, Cohen said. Rockett also went on tour with the band.
Cohen said the newly funded work with CAR T cells builds on earlier UC San Diego research that identified a receptor on some cancer cells as a promising new target. Its made in both solid tumors and blood cancers, but not in normal cells.
The receptor, tyrosine kinase-like orphan receptor or ROR1, is the target of a drug now being tested by Cohens colleague Dr. Thomas Kipps in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The drug, a monoclonal antibody called cirmtuzumab, is named after CIRM, which funded the research that produced the drug.
ROR1 is produced almost exclusively in the embryonic and early fetal stage, and helps the nascent tissues migrate to the right parts of the body, Cohen said. It appears to have virtually no use after that stage. So it appears to be a safe target. Thats been a challenge to find with cancer stem cells, because their genetic activity somewhat resembles that of normal stem cells.
For obvious reasons you don't want to eliminate all the stem cells in a person's body, Cohen said.
Theres some hints ROR1 might be produced in certain precursors to B cells, which are immune cells that make antibodies, he said. Its possible to live without B cells, as in the case where drugs destroy B cells to stop B-cell lymphoma.
The new project was sparked by Kipps research indicated that ROR1 was produced in high amounts in the hard-to-treat cancers. Cohen began thinking of how this knowledge could be applied with CAR T-cell technology
Cohen said preclinical research has already been performed for the new project. In cell culture tests, CAR T cells with the ROR1 receptor kill cancer stem cells with the receptor in those difficult cancers.
Funding for that research came from the Immunotherapy Foundation, created by San Diego philanthropists Ralph and Fernanda Whitworth in 2015 after Ralph Whitworth was diagnosed with cancer. He died of the disease in September 2016.
Christina Martinez, the Immunotherapy Foundations executive director, said Whitworth met with Cohen after his diagnosis, and became personally interested in advancing the research.
It was a serendipitous encounter, but he really saw the potential for a lasting partnership in his ability to be able to make a long-term contribution to the area of immunotherapy, Martinez said. This project was just one that fell under kind of an umbrella of projects that he was interested in and funding at UCSD. So he and Fernanda seeded that initial investment.
To further improve cancer immunotherapy, the Whitworths established the Immunotherapy Foundation. Fernanda Whitworth, president and co-founder, said shes pleased with the progress.
Ralph and I liked that these projects were designed to be tightly interconnected to leverage information and allow efficient movement into the clinic, she said. Today, I am proud to see this rational, focused approach is working.
Read the original post:
Cancer stem cells target of new grant to UCSD scientists - The San Diego Union-Tribune
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - CueReport - June 30th, 2020
- Long-Term Culture of Human Pancreatic Slices Reveals the Regeneration of Insulin-producing Cells in Real Time : SF STAT! - South Florida Hospital News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Future Trends and Forecast to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Culture Media Market 2020: Challenges, Drivers, Analysis, Types, Applications and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2026 | COVID19 Impact Analysis NanoCellect... - June 30th, 2020
- Top Investment Opportunities in Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market after COVID-19 Outbreak: Strategies by Key Players: Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - June 30th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market in India-Manufacturing and Consumption, Outlook and Forecast 2020-2026 - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Hematology Instruments and Reagents Market to Witness Promising Growth Opportunities During 20202026 with Top Leading... - June 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market To Reach USD 8.75 Billion by 2027 | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - June 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 | Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2027: ANTRIA (CRO),... - June 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026: Analysed By Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, And Future Prospects - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- The biotech IPO boom is becoming 'historic' as four more throw their hats in - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Odessa American - June 29th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher is reportedly getting another stem-cell surgery; Journalist alleged it will be an experimental procedure - EconoTimes - June 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss Opportunities - Apsters... - June 29th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Market Size : Technological Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment in Stem Cells Market 2020 Newest Industry Data, Future Trends and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Biotechnology Reagents Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Trending: Viral Inactivation Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| Danaher, Merck,... - June 29th, 2020
- Takeda takes a $200M hit after Novartis is forced to yank its marketing application for Xiidra - Endpoints News - June 29th, 2020
- Post COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Market and its Market Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Identify Which Types of Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out... - June 25th, 2020
- Astrocyte-to-Neuron Method Reverses Neurodegeneration in Mice - The Scientist - June 25th, 2020
- Survey: Impact Of Covid-19 On Media for Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Opportunities in Market and Expansion By 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- BIOBANKS MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS WITH FORECAST BY 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Coming Future - Bulletin Line - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report (2020-2025) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 25th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market (2019-2024) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Supporting Equipment Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development size COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 25th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Estimation, Industry Demand, Growth Trend, Chain Structure, Supply and Demand Forecast (2020-2027) - Morning Tick - June 25th, 2020
- Sussex eye surgeon's guide to glaucoma, the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the UK - Bognor Regis Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Beyond Federal Restrictions ... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Drugs Market Research with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Competitive Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Product Witness (es) Dampening Sales as ABC End-use Industry Suffers Massive Blow Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- In Bengaluru, a constellation if institutions - The Hindu - June 21st, 2020
- Bone Allograft and Xenograft Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Medical Thawing System Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Top Key Players | Helmer Scientific, Sarstedt, Sartorius, Biocision,... - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis On Trends & Need 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- 2025 Projeaction: Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Surface Markers Market is expected to grow from USD 561.02 Million in 2019 to USD 903.48 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market in COVID-19: Implications and Business Opportunities for Growth Globally - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Expansion Market is expected to grow from USD 13,177.29 Million in 2019 to USD 28,822.19 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 6,356.88 Million in 2019 to USD 14,485.68 Million by the end of 2025 at... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Key Players, Opportunities, Challenges, Trend and Forecast by... - June 20th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Insights 2019 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed Report,... - June 20th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Record a Robust Growth Rate for the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Scientists Finally Know Where Thorns Come From - Daily Times - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Separation Technologies Market is expected to grow from USD 5,347.52 Million in 2019 to USD 12,724.42 Million by the end of 2025 at a... - June 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - Bulletin Line - June 20th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Analysis with Research Report 2020 - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Recent Research Could Restore Vision by Converting Skin Cells into Photoreceptors - Health Writeups - June 20th, 2020
- Escalating Demand for Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Amid COVID-19 to Record Sharp Growth through Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Upcoming Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2020 2024 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- The Global Cell Culture Market is expected to grow from USD 16,371.34 Million in 2019 to USD 33,826.78 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - June 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Cell Proliferation Kit, Global and Japan Market Insights, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows Potential In Treating COVID-19 - Legal Examiner - June 18th, 2020
- 'Heart-in-a-dish' to study the effects of coronavirus - British Heart Foundation - June 18th, 2020
- NIH announces new Transformative Research Award program for ALS - National Institutes of Health - June 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market 2020: Expected Development, Share, Demand And Study Of Key Players- Research Predictions 2025 -... - June 18th, 2020
- Cambridge team probes COVID-19 impact on the heart - Business Weekly - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Assay Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Top Key Players Merck &... - June 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market What Factors will drive the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market in Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global... - June 18th, 2020
- What are the 3D Cell Culture Market Key Insights and COVID-19 Business Impact? - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Explosive Growth of IVIS Imaging Systems Market By 2027 Competitive Outlook By PerkinElmer Inc., Hallmarq Veterinary Imaging, CANON MEDICAL SYSTEMS... - June 18th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Capillary Electrophoresis Market Projection By Key Players, Status, Growth, Revenue, SWOT Analysis Forecast 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- Verve Therapeutics CEO Sekar Kathiresan, M.D., to Give Keynote Presentation at the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) 2020 Virtual... - June 17th, 2020
- Preventing misleading claim of COVID-19 cure - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - June 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Analysis Report, Region, Application, Trends, Competitive Market Share and Forecast to 2026 -... - June 17th, 2020
- Drivers of Healthy Gut Maintenance Uncovered - Technology Networks - June 17th, 2020
- GLOBAL HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELL MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth... - June 17th, 2020
- Magenta and Beam to Further Explore MGTA-117 - PharmaLive - June 17th, 2020