Scientists have discovered for the first time that adult mouse brains produce new cells in the amygdala, a finding that could eventually lead to better treatments for conditions like anxiety and depression, as well as a better understanding of the brain overall.
The amygdala handles a lot of our emotional responses, especially those relating to fear, and broken connections inside it can lead to anxiety disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
If the brain is capable of regenerating neurons in the amygdala, then that's potentially one way of fighting back against these mental health issues, according to the team from the University of Queensland in Australia.
"While it was previously known that new neurons are produced in the adult brain, excitingly this is the first time that new cells have been discovered in the amygdala," says one of the team, Pankaj Sah from the Queensland Brain Institute.
"Our discovery has enormous implications for understanding the amygdala's role in regulating fear and fearful memories."
Before now, neurogenesis the process of producing new neurons had only been spotted in human adults in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that handles long-term memory and also deals with emotional responses, and the striatum.
Adult neurogenesis was first recognised in the 1960s, but was more widely accepted in the 1990s, thanks in part to the discovery of stem cells in adult mice brains cells that can divide and develop into other types of cells.
That discovery was made by another team from the Queensland Brain Institute, and since then, scientists have confirmed the same process happens in humans.
Now it looks like it's happening elsewhere too: based on new studies of mice, the researchers found evidence for the same stem cells in the amygdala, cells that could turn into genuine, fully functioning neurons. Now the task is to find the same results in humans.
Right now it's not clear what those new neurons do, or how the brain uses them, but their location is interesting and worthy of further study.
There's so much we still don't know about the brain, though its secrets are slowly being unlocked. As far as neurogenesis goes, for example, we know that a session on the booze slows down the process, though giving up the drink reverses the process.
Meanwhile, a study published in July found that implanting stem cells into the brain can help to extend the lifespan of mice, and it's possible that a similar approach here could also have a positive effect.
"Finding ways of stimulating the production of new brain cells in the amygdala could give us new avenues for treating disorders of fear processing, which include anxiety, PTSD and depression," says one of the team, Dhanisha Jhaveri.
The research has been published in Molecular Psychiatry.
See the original post here:
The Adult Brain Can Regenerate Neurons in an Unexpected Area, Says New Study - ScienceAlert
- Applying AI and CRISPR to stem cells to improve regenerative medicine - FierceBiotech - November 20th, 2019
- Decoding the building blocks of life: bit bio races toward a sustainable source of human cells - Proactive Investors UK - November 20th, 2019
- 1st SCD Trial Patient Shows CTX001 Gene Editing to be Safe, Effective - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 20th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - BioSpace - November 20th, 2019
- Novocure Announces 43 Presentations on Tumor Treating Fields at 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology - Arizona Daily Star - November 20th, 2019
- Maltese abroad: the best-selling author with roots in Gozo - Times of Malta - November 20th, 2019
- Early Results Are Positive for Experimental CRISPR Therapies - The Scientist - November 19th, 2019
- CHMP recommends EMA approval of polatuzumab vedotin for the treatment of adult patients with R/R DLBCL - Lymphoma Hub - November 19th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - PRNewswire - November 19th, 2019
- Redding woman donates bone marrow, saves life of a father - FOX61 Hartford - November 16th, 2019
- Maxim Group Maintains Their Buy Rating on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) - Smarter Analyst - November 16th, 2019
- How 3D Printing Is Turning Each And Every Industry On Its Head - SafeHaven.com - November 16th, 2019
- BIORESTORATIVE THERAPIES, INC. (OTCMKTS:BRTX) Files An 8-K Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders - Market Exclusive - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cell Expansion Market 2019 is predicted to reach an excellent valuation of by 2024 - Galus Australis - November 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market is Growing Massively in Upcoming Year with Top Key Players like GE Healthcare, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 15th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant: What it is, uses, risks, and recovery - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- The Demand of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2019 Future Growth, Demand, Application, Trends, Vendor Landscape, Industry Insight,... - November 15th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Research Grant Award From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2019 and Provides a Corporate Update - GlobeNewswire - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Ralph Kern MD MHSc to Present at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- iCell Gene Therapeutics Announces CAR-T Oral and Poster Presentations at 61st American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Send2Press Newswire - November 14th, 2019
- Contrasting BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 14th, 2019
- Phase 3 Trial of NINLAROTM (ixazomib) as First Line Maintenance Therapy Met Primary Endpoint in Multiple Myeloma Patients not treated with Stem Cell... - November 12th, 2019
- Army veteran to save woman with blood cancer through stem cell donation - Stoke-on-Trent Live - November 12th, 2019
- Financial Contrast: BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 12th, 2019
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - November 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Secondary Research With Geron Corporation, Vericel Corporation, Pluristem Therapeutics, Cytori Therapeutics, Fate... - October 29th, 2019
- Huntington's Marked by Inflammation and Changes in Brain's Striatum Before Symptoms, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 29th, 2019
- In 2030, Our Protein Will Come From a Laband We'll All Be Better Off For It - Singularity Hub - October 28th, 2019
- NASA plans to cut cost of space exploration by commercializing low-earth orbit - Digital Trends - October 27th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the Dawson James Securities 5th Annual Small Cap Growth Conference - BioSpace - October 27th, 2019
- Artificial Early Mouse Embryos Created In The Lab Using Stems Cells Rather Than Sperm Or Eggs - IFLScience - October 21st, 2019
- Healthcare Terms Are Out of Touch, Says Mom Advocate - Medscape - October 21st, 2019
- A stop-motion movie of the whole brain, starring new neurons - Spectrum - October 21st, 2019
- Humans evolved to think faster by slowing down brain development - New Scientist News - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market was valued at $1986 million in 2016 - Markets Gazette - October 19th, 2019
- Republicans demand answers about government experiments with animals and fetal tissue - Washington Examiner - October 17th, 2019
- The Other Side of Stem Cell Research - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - October 17th, 2019
- Reviewing MediciNova Inc. (MNOV)'s and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:BCLI)'s results - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- SI-BONE Inc. (SIBN) and Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL) Comparing side by side - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Inherited Learning? It Happens, but How Is Uncertain - Quanta Magazine - October 17th, 2019
- Contrasting of Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (BCLI) and Magenta Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:MGTA) - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to Gain Huge Traction Owing to Arrival of New-Fangled Treatments for Long-Lasting Sicknesses Till 2025 | Million Insights - P&T... - October 7th, 2019
- New Tools in the Works to Probe Adult Human Neurogenesis - The Scientist - October 7th, 2019
- Follow the lead of Aston Villa players and become a blood stem cell donor - 7500 To Holte - October 7th, 2019
- Starving Cancer by Cutting Off Its Favorite Foods, Glucose and Glutamine - American Council on Science and Health - October 6th, 2019
- We're making tiny brains in the lab should we be worried for them? - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2019
- Female Scientist To Lead Advanced Cancer Research Project In Space - SheThePeople - October 6th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at 27th Annual Meeting of the European Orthopaedic... - October 4th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, 2019-2030 : Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication and Competitive Landscape - Space Market Research - October 4th, 2019
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone for Frontline Multiple... - September 27th, 2019
- The unexpected functional diversity of reactive astrocytes - Baylor College of Medicine News - September 27th, 2019
- Troy resident 'gets it done' with ground-breaking treatment - Troy Daily News - September 27th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Overview by Industry Chain Information, Upstream Raw Materials & Downstream Industry 2017 2025 - Herald Space - September 27th, 2019
- Stem cells regrow long bones - WNDU-TV - September 20th, 2019
- The Basics of Stem Cell Transplantation - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Potential Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury Receives Regenerative Advanced Therapy Designation - Drug Topics - September 20th, 2019
- What Is Lab Meat and Is It Vegan? - LIVEKINDLY - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in the upcoming year - OnYourDesks - September 20th, 2019
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Correct Mutation in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Model - Technology Networks - September 20th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the U.S. FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 20th, 2019
- 7th Annual Miracles for Myeloma 5K Run/Walk - New Jersey Hills - September 20th, 2019
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years - ScoopJunction - September 20th, 2019
- Religion briefs for Sept. 19 | Community - Petoskey News-Review - September 19th, 2019
- Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and John Theurer Cancer Center Launch Clinical Trial Evaluating Gene Therapy for Severe Sickle Cell Disease in... - September 19th, 2019
- Engineering lymphatic vessels as a therapeutic to heal the heart - ND Newswire - September 19th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the US FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market by Top Key Players, Size, Subdivision & Market Dynamics Forces - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Wolf Mirror - September 19th, 2019
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Heightened Revenue Growth in the Next Decade - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Knotty Problem of Cell Reprogramming Solved - Technology Networks - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Foraying into Emerging Economies 2017-2025 - Techdadz - September 19th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to witness a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period 2017-2026 - Zebvo - September 19th, 2019
- Alzheimer's Disease Insight Report: Current Therapies, Drug Pipeline and Outlook - BioSpace - September 19th, 2019
- Partner Therapeutics Receives Orphan Drug Designation for Leukine (sargramostim) - Odessa American - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Predicted to Surpass US$167.33 Bn By 2025 - TheSlapClap - September 19th, 2019
- Story of life: Seven wonders of biological research - The Irish Times - September 19th, 2019
- Cell Harvester Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Applications, Drivers, Trends & Forecast to 2025 - Market Forecast - September 19th, 2019