Adult stem cells can proliferate without differentiating for a long period (a characteristic referred to as long-term self-renewal), and they can give rise to mature cell types that have characteristic shapes and specialized functions.
Some adult stem cells have the capability to differentiate into tissues other than the ones from which they originated; this is referred to as plasticity.
Adult stem cells are rare. Often they are difficult to identify and their origins are not known. Current methods for characterizing adult stem cells are dependent on determining cell surface markers and observations about their differentiation patterns in test tubes and culture dishes.
To date, published scientific literature indicates that adult stem cells have been derived from brain, bone marrow, peripheral blood, dental pulp, spinal cord, blood vessels, skeletal muscle, epithelia of the skin and digestive system, cornea, retina, liver, and pancreas; thus, adult stem cells have been found in tissues that develop from all three embryonic germ layers.
Hematopoietic stem cells from bone marrow are the most studied and used for clinical applications in restoring various blood and immune components to the bone marrow via transplantation. There are at least two other populations of adult stem cells that have been identified from bone marrow and blood.
Several populations of adult stem cells have been identified in the brain, particularly the hippocampus. Their function is unknown. Proliferation and differentiation of brain stem cells are influenced by various growth factors.
There are now several reports of adult stem cells in other tissues (muscle, blood, and fat) that demonstrate plasticity. Very few published research reports on plasticity of adult stem cells have, however, included clonality studies. That is, there is limited evidence that a single adult stem cell or genetically identical line of adult stem cells demonstrates plasticity.
Rarely have experiments that claim plasticity demonstrated that the adult stem cells have generated mature, fully functional cells or that the cells have restored lost function in vivo.
What are the sources of adult stem cells in the body? Are they "leftover" embryonic stem cells, or do they arise in some other way? And if the latter is truewhich seems to be the caseexactly how do adult stem cells arise, and why do they remain in an undifferentiated state, when all the cells around them have differentiated?
Is it possible to manipulate adult stem cells to increase their ability to proliferate in vitro, so that adult stem cells can be used as a sufficient source of tissue for transplants?
How many kinds of adult stem cells exist, and in which tissues do they exist? Evidence is accumulating that, although they occur in small numbers, adult stem cells are present in many differentiated tissues.
What is the best evidence that adult stem cells show plasticity and generate cell types of other tissues?
Is it possible to manipulate adult stem cells to increase their ability to proliferate in vitro so that adult stem cells can be used as a sufficient source of tissue for transplants?
Is there a universal stem cell? An emerging concept is that, in adult mammals, there may be a population of "universal" stem cells. Although largely theoretical, the concept has some experimental basis. A candidate, universal adult stem cell may be one that circulates in the blood stream, can escape from the blood, and populate various adult tissues. In more than one experimental system, researchers have noted that dividing cells in adult tissues often appear near a blood vessel, such as candidate stem cells in the hippocampus, a region of the brain .
Do adult stem cells exhibit plasticity as a normal event in vivo? If so, is this true of all adult stem cells? What are the signals that regulate the proliferation and differentiation of stem cells that demonstrate plasticity?
- What It's Like to Grow a 'Mini-Brain' From Your Own Cells - Discover Magazine - May 25th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 25th, 2020
- Newborn in Japan receives first treatment with liver STEM cells - ZME Science - May 23rd, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells Market with Coronavirus (Covid-19) Impact Analysis | Industry Strong Development By Major Eminent Players, New Innovations, Key... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Component, By Enterprise Size, By End... - May 16th, 2020
- The RNA binding protein CPEB2 regulates hormone sensing in mammary gland development and luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Market Developments and Analysis (impact of Covid-19) 2020-2026 - Herald Writeup - May 15th, 2020
- Takeda Pharmaceutical : China announces ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) is approved for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive Lymphomas -... - May 15th, 2020
- New Data for Investigational CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Oral Presentation at the 25th European... - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- Little Skates Could Hold the Key to Cartilage Therapy in Humans - Technology Networks - May 14th, 2020
- Strides in Medical Tourism Market Key Driver of Low-cost Patient Care in Globalized Healthcare Systems, Notes TMR - PR Newswire UK - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Protocol Management, Off-the-Shelf Therapies Help Bring CAR T Into More Settings - Targeted Oncology - May 13th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Announce FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to CTX001 for the... - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- ROCKET PHARMACEUTICALS : Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Size, Global Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Plans, Competitive Landscape and... - May 7th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 7th, 2020
- Roeland Nusse receives Canada's Gairdner International Award | The Dish - Stanford University News - May 7th, 2020
- Broad Foundation brings together stem cell scientists, engineers and physicians at University of Southern - Mirage News - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 5th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 5th, 2020
- Therapy Harnesses Immune System to Slow Progression of DIPG Brain Tumors - University of Michigan Health System News - May 5th, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia Therapeutics Market Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events During Forecast 2017 2025 - Jewish Life News - May 5th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 4th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 4th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 4th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- There's no treatment for COVID-19, but Virginia researchers are ramping up clinical trials to try to find one - Richmond.com - April 26th, 2020
- Newest American Academy of Arts and Sciences members | Stanford News - Stanford University News - April 26th, 2020
- 'I Will Not Kill Children to Live' - Church Militant - April 24th, 2020
- Morning Update: Canadas data gaps are hurting our ability to fight the pandemic - The Globe and Mail - April 24th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - April 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: Masks required for take out; N.J. hospitalizations to peak within 3 weeks; Stimulus paym - NJ.com - April 12th, 2020
- 4 ways to promote neurogenesis in your brain - Big Think - April 9th, 2020
- Funding roundup: At-home medical exams and a Parkinson's treatment - MedCity News - April 9th, 2020
- Moderna: A $12 Billion Brand Built On Hope And mRNA - Seeking Alpha - April 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Awarded $1.5 Million Non-Dilutive Grant for 2020 by the Israel Innovation Authority - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- Post-Remission Therapy For AML: Allogeneic Stem-Cell Transplant - SurvivorNet - April 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting might boost the creation of new neurons in a key brain structure - PsyPost - April 3rd, 2020
- 4 relationship problems that can be linked back to early childhood - Big Think - March 28th, 2020
- Scientists Have 'Reset' The Cellular Age Of Cells Taken From A 114-Year-Old Woman - IFLScience - March 26th, 2020
- The Answer to the Coronavirus Is More Abortion? - Townhall - March 24th, 2020
- Mesoblast limited (NASDAQ:MESO) Given Consensus Rating of Buy by Brokerages - Redmond Register - March 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market 2019-2024 Chain Analysis, Upstream Raw Materials Sourcing and Downstream Buyers - Feed Road - March 15th, 2020
- Scientists Create Human 'Body-On-A-Chip' Featuring Tiny Replica Organs In The Lab - IFLScience - March 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - March 12th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast plans to evaluate its stem cell therapy in patients infected with COVID-19 - BioWorld Online - March 12th, 2020
- How to build a body from scratch, Altered Carbon-style - SYFY WIRE - March 12th, 2020
- Astronauts growing new organs on International Space Station - The Independent - March 12th, 2020
- The Inside Scoop on Northwest Biotherapeutics, Inc (OTCMKTS: NWBO) - MicroCap Daily - March 9th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells: Market 2020 New Innovative Solutions to Boost Global Growth with New Technology, Key Business Strategies, Trend and Forecasts 2024 -... - March 6th, 2020
- Review Finds The Effects Of Obesity On The Body Mirror Those Of Aging - IFLScience - February 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is expected to reach US$270.5 billion by 2025, TMR - BioSpace - February 24th, 2020
- Olive Oil Consumption Could Lead to a 'Younger Brain' in the Elderly, Researchers Say - Olive Oil Times - February 24th, 2020
- New sickle cell disease treatments are helping people live longer and giving them a higher quality of life - PhillyVoice.com - February 24th, 2020
- Proteostasis Therapeutics and CF Europe Announce Completion of Patient Enrollment for CHOICES, the First-Ever Personalized Medicine-Based Study in... - February 24th, 2020
- Transplant for Szary Syndrome is Patient's First Step in Returning to the Dance Floor - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - February 22nd, 2020
- Eternal youth and good health from stem cells soon within reach? - Innovation Origins - February 22nd, 2020
- How do body parts grow to their right sizes? - The Week Magazine - February 22nd, 2020
- 8-year-old bone marrow recipient and donor celebrate in emotional reunion - WFAA.com - February 16th, 2020
- Singapore researchers discover Human Stem Cells and Cancer Origins in Stomach - BSA bureau - February 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Sales Volume, Status, Growth, Opportunities and World - Instant Tech News - February 14th, 2020
- Astrocytes could be harnessed to protect motor neurons in MND - Drug Target Review - February 11th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics and FDA Agree to Potential NurOwn Regulatory Pathway for Approval in ALS - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2020
- Mexico City Medical Congress to Showcase the Global Stem Cells Group's Latest Innovations - PRUnderground - February 11th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at the Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research... - February 11th, 2020
- Stopping Smoking Allows Healthy Lung Cells to Proliferate - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- Biological robots, that is a thing now - 702 - February 6th, 2020
- How the next trip to the moon will get us ready for Mars - Deseret News - February 6th, 2020
- Knocking Down Levels Of These Proteins Could Reverse Type 2 Diabetes - International Business Times - February 6th, 2020
- Efficacy and Safety of Sonidegib in Adult Patients with Nevoid Basal C | CCID - Dove Medical Press - February 2nd, 2020