During the Great Embryonic Stem Cell Debate, circa 2001-2008, I watched the scientistsblatantly lie about the supposedly low potential for adult stem cells and the CURES! CURES! CURES that were just around the corner from embryonic stem cells. You remember: Children would soon be out of their wheelchairs and Uncle Ernies Parkinsons would soon be a disease of the past.
The pro-ESCR campaign was filled with so much disinformation and hype willingly swallowed by an in-the-tank media all in a corrupt attempt to overturn the minor federal funding restrictions over ESCR imposed by the president, and to hurt President Bush politically.
After the Bush presidency, the issue became quiescent. And now, it turns out that the clinical advances that have been made are not from embryonic stem cells.
During the debate, David A. Prentice a stem-cell researcher and my good friend took a sabbatical from his Indiana State University professorship to tout the great potential of adult stem cells (and to oppose human cloning) around the world. He became quite prominent in the debate for which he was punished by his universitys administration. For example, despite receiving teaching awards, he was moved from graduate classes and his lab privileges were curtailed.
Prentice eventually headed for The Swamp to continue his advocacy. He is now with the Charlotte Lozier Institute, where he has continued to track and educate about stem-cell science and engage policy controversies.
Prentice just published a major peer-reviewed article in the science journal Circulation Research, in which he details the amazing successes of adult stem-cell research demonstrating that the ESCR hypers had it wrong and he had it right.
Prentice outlines the many problems that make embryonic stem cells ill suited for clinical use, including the difficulty ofdifferentiating and integrating ES cells into the body, the problem that these cells have shown evidence of causing arrhythmia, the potential to cause tumors, and immunogenicity, in real peoples language, rejection caused by triggering the bodys immune response.
In contrast, ethical stem cells have had excellent successes. For example, induced pluripotent stem cells, which can be made from normal skin cells, are splendid for use in cell modeling and drug testing.
But Prentices primary focus is on adult stem cells, often taken from donor bone marrow or a patients own body. They have also not advanced as fast as was hoped, but they are progressing into clinical uses and human studies. From, Adult Stem Cells:
Not only do adult stem cells carry no ethical baggage regarding their isolation, their practical advantages over pluripotent stem cells have led to many current clinical trials, as well as some therapies approved through all phases of Food and Drug Administration testing.
Peer-reviewed, published successful results abound, with numerous papers now documenting therapeutic benefit in clinical trials and progress toward fully tested and approved treatments. Phase I/II trials suggest potential cardiovascular benefit from bone marrowderived adult stem cells and umbilical cord bloodderived cells.
Striking results have been reported using adult stem cells to treat neurological conditions, including chronic stroke. Positive long-term progression-free outcomes have been seen, including some remission, for multiple sclerosis, as well as benefits in early trials for patients with type I diabetes mellitus and spinal cord injury. And adult stem cells are starting to be used as vehicles for genetic therapies, such as for epidermolysis bullosa.
If this progress had been derived from embryonic stem cells, the headlines would have been deafening. The cheering from the media would include anchors dancing with pom-poms!
But the media isnt much interested in reporting adult stem-cell successes prominently because doing so doesnt promote favored ideological agendas. Thats not good journalism.
The superiority of adult stem cells in the clinic and the mounting evidence supporting their effectiveness in regeneration and repair make adult stem cells the gold standard of stem cells for patients.
Thats excellent news for everyone, and may it continue.
But as we benefit from these ethical treatments, the next time ideologically driven scientists, bioethicists, and their media water carriers seek to drive public opinion on scientific issues in a partisan direction by deploying the propaganda tools of hype, exaggeration, and castigation of those who espouse heterodox views, remember how the Great Stem Cell Debate turned out.
See original here:
Stem Cells & David A. Prentice -- Adult Stem Cells Are Now ...
- Stem Cell Banking Market was valued at $1986 million in 2016 - Markets Gazette - October 19th, 2019
- Republicans demand answers about government experiments with animals and fetal tissue - Washington Examiner - October 17th, 2019
- The Other Side of Stem Cell Research - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - October 17th, 2019
- Reviewing MediciNova Inc. (MNOV)'s and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:BCLI)'s results - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- SI-BONE Inc. (SIBN) and Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL) Comparing side by side - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Inherited Learning? It Happens, but How Is Uncertain - Quanta Magazine - October 17th, 2019
- Contrasting of Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (BCLI) and Magenta Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:MGTA) - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to Gain Huge Traction Owing to Arrival of New-Fangled Treatments for Long-Lasting Sicknesses Till 2025 | Million Insights - P&T... - October 7th, 2019
- New Tools in the Works to Probe Adult Human Neurogenesis - The Scientist - October 7th, 2019
- Follow the lead of Aston Villa players and become a blood stem cell donor - 7500 To Holte - October 7th, 2019
- Starving Cancer by Cutting Off Its Favorite Foods, Glucose and Glutamine - American Council on Science and Health - October 6th, 2019
- We're making tiny brains in the lab should we be worried for them? - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2019
- Female Scientist To Lead Advanced Cancer Research Project In Space - SheThePeople - October 6th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at 27th Annual Meeting of the European Orthopaedic... - October 4th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, 2019-2030 : Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication and Competitive Landscape - Space Market Research - October 4th, 2019
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone for Frontline Multiple... - September 27th, 2019
- The unexpected functional diversity of reactive astrocytes - Baylor College of Medicine News - September 27th, 2019
- Troy resident 'gets it done' with ground-breaking treatment - Troy Daily News - September 27th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Overview by Industry Chain Information, Upstream Raw Materials & Downstream Industry 2017 2025 - Herald Space - September 27th, 2019
- Stem cells regrow long bones - WNDU-TV - September 20th, 2019
- The Basics of Stem Cell Transplantation - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Potential Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury Receives Regenerative Advanced Therapy Designation - Drug Topics - September 20th, 2019
- What Is Lab Meat and Is It Vegan? - LIVEKINDLY - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in the upcoming year - OnYourDesks - September 20th, 2019
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Correct Mutation in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Model - Technology Networks - September 20th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the U.S. FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 20th, 2019
- 7th Annual Miracles for Myeloma 5K Run/Walk - New Jersey Hills - September 20th, 2019
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years - ScoopJunction - September 20th, 2019
- Religion briefs for Sept. 19 | Community - Petoskey News-Review - September 19th, 2019
- Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and John Theurer Cancer Center Launch Clinical Trial Evaluating Gene Therapy for Severe Sickle Cell Disease in... - September 19th, 2019
- Engineering lymphatic vessels as a therapeutic to heal the heart - ND Newswire - September 19th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the US FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market by Top Key Players, Size, Subdivision & Market Dynamics Forces - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Wolf Mirror - September 19th, 2019
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Heightened Revenue Growth in the Next Decade - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Knotty Problem of Cell Reprogramming Solved - Technology Networks - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Foraying into Emerging Economies 2017-2025 - Techdadz - September 19th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to witness a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period 2017-2026 - Zebvo - September 19th, 2019
- Alzheimer's Disease Insight Report: Current Therapies, Drug Pipeline and Outlook - BioSpace - September 19th, 2019
- Partner Therapeutics Receives Orphan Drug Designation for Leukine (sargramostim) - Odessa American - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Predicted to Surpass US$167.33 Bn By 2025 - TheSlapClap - September 19th, 2019
- Story of life: Seven wonders of biological research - The Irish Times - September 19th, 2019
- Cell Harvester Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Applications, Drivers, Trends & Forecast to 2025 - Market Forecast - September 19th, 2019
- Tracing the origin of adult intestinal stem cells | Nature - May 20th, 2019
- StemEnhance Ultra: The Best Stem Cell Supplement - May 12th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy - regenocyte.com - April 28th, 2019
- Summary: What is an Adult Stem Cell? | Stem Cells Portal ... - April 28th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy Is A Resounding Healing Success, So ... - March 21st, 2019
- FDA Wants to Shut Down Adult Stem Cell Therapy as its Healing ... - March 21st, 2019
- Past Years of Hype Notwithstanding, Adult Stem Cells Are Now ... - March 21st, 2019
- Adult stem cell therapies are coming to market - Jun. 16, 2009 - March 17th, 2019
- Adult Cardiac Stem Cells Don't Exist: Study | The Scientist ... - March 17th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis & Joint Injuries ... - March 17th, 2019
- David Lindsay: Adult Stem Cells Are Now The Gold Standard - March 17th, 2019
- Neural stem cell - Wikipedia - March 10th, 2019
- A few questions about stem cells? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- What are adult stem cells? - StemExpress Donor Center - February 1st, 2019
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - February 1st, 2019
- What is Adult Stem Cell Therapy? | Okyanos Center for ... - January 19th, 2019
- Conditions and Diseases Treated | Adult Stem Cell Therapy - December 12th, 2018
- 6 Pros and Cons of Adult Stem Cells | Green Garage - December 2nd, 2018
- Adult Stem Cells Show Anti-Aging Potential - genengnews.com - November 28th, 2018
- Induced pluripotent stem cell - Wikipedia - November 8th, 2018
- What Are The Similarities And Differences Between Embryonic ... - September 30th, 2018
- stem cell | Definition, Types, Uses, Research, & Facts ... - September 16th, 2018
- Fact Sheet: Adult Stem Cell Research and Transplants ... - September 16th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Injection Provider Finder ... - August 19th, 2018
- Understanding Adult and Embryonic Stem Cell Research - August 13th, 2018
- Types of Adult Stem Cells Stem Cell Institute StemCell ... - July 29th, 2018
- Difference between Adult and Embryonic Stem Cells - July 29th, 2018
- Stem Cells, Characteristics, Properties, Different ... - July 29th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Research Leaving Embryos Behind - CBS News - July 24th, 2018
- 5 Benefits to Using Adult Stem Cells in Cancer Research - July 5th, 2018
- Sources of Adult Stem Cells - Stem Cell Institute - July 5th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy 101, MSCTC - July 5th, 2018
- What are Adult Stem Cells? | Adult Stem Cell Treatment - July 2nd, 2018
- Your Stem Cell Questions Answered - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Cancer, MSCTC - KUMC - October 13th, 2017
- Adult Stem Cells in Greenville, SC - September 23rd, 2017