AN ordinary man with ordinary interests, Patrick Keane loves life, even though it has become more of a challenge than ever before.
He cannot play a round of golf or go for a walk by the beach any more. But he doesnt want pity and exudes positivity. So he enjoys soaking in the sea air around Clonea or Garryvoe without stretching his legs.
But reality has a way of crashing through the faade at times, no matter how strong you are.
For Patrick, it can be when he wakes up and cannot feel his legs, or loses his train of thought, or misses his mouth when trying to eat because he cannot feel the spoon in his hand. Or if he gets out of bed and falls and screams at himself, Just get up will ya, ya fool!
But the man known as Pa to his friends, or Patch to his mother Margaret, brother Paul and sisters Yvonne and Elaine, dusts himself down, drags himself back to an upright position and goes about taking on the day in as fearless a fashion as possible, given what he must encounter now and the knowledge of what lies ahead.
Multiple sclerosis affects the central nervous system, the brain and the spine, and while the rate of degeneration differs for all, there is no escaping the degeneration. Ireland has 8,000 sufferers with apparently no cure.
Patrick, who was diagnosed in January, 2009, is not without hope however. A doctor, Denis Federenko, has been providing stem cell transplants to people from all over the world at the AA Maximov Hospital in Moscow, with some success, by wiping out the faulty immune system with drugs used to treat cancer and replacing it with stem cells taken from the patient.
Irish comedian, Stephen Garland is one who underwent treatment in November, 2016, having been told he was around six months away from being confined to a wheelchair.
He returned home just before Christmas that year and has thrived since, even writing a show about his journey to Russia and back.
Garland brought his creation, Post-Disposed, back to the world-renowned Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August, confirming his continuing improved health.
The treatment costs between 50,000 and 60,000 including aftercare and other expenses. It can be hard to ask for help but so many people have extended a hand to Patrick, without ever being asked. People Patrick doesnt know from Adam or Eve have even contributed to his cause and it moves him to tears.
Time is against the Corkman however, because if his condition exceeds 6.5 on a scale of 0-8, he will not be taken on. At present, he is between 5.5 and 6, and has been accepted, but clearly the treatment must take place sooner rather than later.
To that end, a Breakfast With The Stars event is taking place at The Park Hotel, Dungarvan on Thursday, October 10. Tipperarys All-Ireland-winning manager, Liam Sheedy and multiple champion jockey Davy Russell will regale patrons with stories from their careers, prompted by MC Marty Morrissey.
All proceeds will go towards funding Patricks treatment and ancillary expenses. Ticket purchasing details are below.
Here is more about Patricks story...
LAYLA walks into the family home in Ballinroad, just outside Dungarvan. It was Patrick who named her, after the Eric Clapton song that he happened to be listening to when the family were discussing what to call the now 12-year-old dog.
Music is a boon, a real infusion of energy, pumping the blood, making him feel like he could jump out of his skin and dance like the old days. He cant but that burst of adrenaline is a godsend.
I have the car adapted with hand controls, Patrick explains. I dont use my feet for driving. Push and pull the lever in the car.
On a Sunday morning I love nothing better, especially when I am down at home. Head down the coast road to Tramore, listen to a bit of music.
I would listen to absolutely anything. I am influenced by dads taste in music. All the older stuff, 70s, 80s rock music kind of stuff. You could find me listening to dance music two minutes later. Once it has a beat I couldnt care less.
Patricks dad, Richie Keane, was a hard worker, who was brilliant with his hands and especially with cars. And all his life he had a smaller shadow. The son looked up to the father like he was Superman.
When he was sick and on his last legs, talking through the window from the house he taught me how to take the sump off my car because it was cracked and leaking oil. He was able to guide me through it without looking at it, word for word.
I restored a Jeep that he left when he passed away. It was a 1983, same age as myself, Mercedes jeep. Very rare, like hens teeth. Restored it to about 25,000 to 30,000 worth.
I had to sell it. I couldnt drive it anymore because the leg was so bad. That was hard. That was the last connection. It was something I had to remember him by. The day I saw that go out the drive was tough.
Richie died in November, 2008, around the time of Patricks 25th birthday. Richies mother passed away two weeks later. Patrick was diagnosed with MS in January, 2009. Already a celiac and diabetic, he was accustomed to restrictions and putting up with things. This was a different stratosphere though.
It began with losing his balance and the development of numbness down his right side.
I went to the doctor, and I think, by the look on his face, he knew there was something not right. He sent me to Ardkeen (Hospital) and I got checked out. They had me in isolation for about a week. Then I was told it was MS.
I didnt know what it was but it was something I heard from a conversation when I was younger, That poor fella has MS. I didnt know I would end up the way I am now.
I have friends since that have been diagnosed after me that I have gotten to know from reaching out. There are a couple of them in a wheelchair. As it progresses, that is where you are heading. But there is a gentleman up the road and he must have it for 20-something years. Unless someone told you, you wouldnt know he has MS.
Part of the difficulty of dealing with MS is that no two cases are alike. Keeping active, having physiotherapy regularly and working are advantages and Patrick has not declined as quickly as others because of that.
But he has hit the secondary stage, where there are cognitive problems and, in particular, his short-term memory is affected.
People say to me, do you get pain with it? I dont know what new pain or old pain is. I just get on with. I have my days where I whinge and moan and cry. God knows I have them. But there is people out there worse off. I have what I have.
It could get worse. Now that it is gone to progressive MS, it probably will. When or how long? Who knows?
It is a horrible disease, there is no two ways. But you get up, get on with it, and do what you can.
He went to Australia not long after the diagnosis. It was a real gesture of defiance, one that probably scared his mother but he knew too that it might well be a case of now or never.
A blocklayer by trade, Patrick eventually had to give that up as his coordination worsened and he nearly fell off a roof. He is on crutches now for three years and would not be able to catch a football if you threw it at him. He wears a leg cast too, to reduce the instances of tripping himself up, without eradicating them totally. He has a mobility scooter.
A 35-year-old man doesnt dream about a mobility scooter, he wants a flash sports car. But it allowed me to go down to the Greenway for the first time. That was nice, to be on the Greenway, to be out, and see the whole lot of it, it was lovely. But watching other people cycle off down killed me.
My two nephews were out the front playing soccer. I used to do the exact same thing. They were saying Patrick, are you coming out to play? I said I would love to but that gets you. Its the simple little things.
Katie, my partner, I dont know where I would be without her. My mam, the girls and my brother, they are fantastic. They have been with me since the start of it.
I decided I want to be independent. If I didnt have the car I dont know what I would be doing. That is my freedom. I can get into the car, go to the shop for coffee. I will get there. I will get the same place as anyone else will, but it will take me longer.
He lives in Cork with Katie and her son Aaron, and works for Voxpro, who have been tremendously supportive. If he were housebound, he would wither.
I am an outgoing guy. I would chat away, waffle on about anything for hours on end. But you take that away I dont know have I changed since the diagnosis.
I have tried to remain as positive as possible but sometimes its hard. Simple little things you take for granted. Just run out there to get the clothes off the line. Now I have had to get handrails put into the house so that I can get up when I trip and fall.
I would wake in the mornings and the legs are like jelly. They shake, you cant control it, you let them shake out and that could be for 20 or 30 seconds. Real spasticity and stiffness in the legs. With the heat during the summer, I sat in the car with the air con on. I would be good for doing weather forecasta. I know what its like when I wake up in the morning, ever before the curtains are pulled. I feel it in my body.
He has been trawling for potential treatments, along with his medical team. Dr Federenkos work stands up to inspection. Stopping the MS in its tracks without the need for further medication would be a tantalising prospect.
Reversing the effects is something he dare not even contemplate, though the treatment has had that effect in Garland and many others.
Being given the green light, after Dr Federenko reviewed his case and medical records, was like an infusion in itself. Patrick details every step of the treatment and though it sounds daunting, it isnt compared to the alternative.
He set up the GoFundMe page (https://www.gofundme.com/f/stop-ms-progression-with-stem-cells-transplant) and was staggered by the reaction. Meanwhile, the local community has rallied, as have his work colleagues and friends, organising fund-raiser after fund-raiser. People he didnt know had events. He finds it hard to process.
To ask for someones help, it is a sign that you are not able. I have talked about this treatment for so long and I got so bad in my legs and balance and everything, I finally gave in and set up the GoFundMe page. It killed me to have to do it.
There was a donation yesterday on GoFundMe from Jamaica. I dont know the person but they found it in their heart to say, There you go. People said to me, Sorry I cant give you too much, I want to give you more. If it is a euro or 20 cent, it could be that 20 cent or euro that gets me over the line.
Whatever happens, he will not give up because it is what he learned when he was Richies shadow: It is instilled in me from dad, I would always have looked up to him. Even now, since he has passed away, I would always say to myself, What would he do? Would he have approved of that? He would always say to stick at something until you get it. If you are going to start something, do it. Just dont walk away from it.
Breakfast With The Stars, featuring Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy, one of the all-time greats of National Hunt racing Davy Russell and RTs Marty Morrissey, takes place at The Park Hotel on Thursday, October 10. To book a table of 10 for 1000 contact Michael Ryan (087 2585299) or The Local Bar (058 41854).
Donations can also be made to Patrick Keanes GoFundMe pagehttps://www.gofundme.com/f/stop-ms-progression-with-stem-cells-transplant
- Novartis licenses phase 3 COVID-19 cell therapy from Mesoblast - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2020
- Benefits of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 22nd, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Your body may already have the answer to knee pain - WQAD.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Providing CAR T-Cell Therapy for Patients With DLBCL During COVID-19 - Targeted Oncology - November 22nd, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization - OrthoSpineNews - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - The Daily... - November 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19 | Size, Share & Latest Trends, Analysis Report by Manufacturers, Application, Type and... - November 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 impact of COVID-19 on Industry Size, Share, Global Analysis, Development Status, Regional Trends, Opportunity... - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 22nd, 2020
- gift of life marrow registry announces new center for cell and gene therapy - The Boca Raton Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Analysis, Key Company Profiles, Types, Applications and Forecast To 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 22nd, 2020
- Increasing Progenitor Cell Proliferation in the Sub-Ventricular Zone: A Therapeutic Treatment for Progressive Multiple Sclerosis? - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem initiates phase I/IIa (pivotal) trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oNKord in patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) -... - November 22nd, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Magellan, Medipost Co.,... - November 22nd, 2020
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market: Rising awareness about rare diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - The Baytown Sun - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of COVID-19-progress and challenges - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to fill the growth bill in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Malaysia Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 16th, 2020
- Addenbrooke's becomes first regional centre to offer CAR-T cell treatment for cancer patients - Cambridge Network - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in therapy of coronavirus disease 2019 - a review - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Global cryotherapy market size to reach USD 6.72 billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Future Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics, Regional and Global Industry Forecast To 2025 - PRnews... - November 16th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Announces Positive Topline Results from its PROTECTIVE-2 Phase 3 Registrational Trial of Plinabulin in Combination with Pegfilgrastim for... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market To See Massive Growth By 2027| Cryo-Save AG, StemCyte India Therapeutics, SMART CELLS PLUS, Vita 34, LifeCell - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Analysis of Expansion Strategy on Industry, Growth Factors and Expected CAGR Of Top Leaders, Upcoming... - November 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Esperite, Caladrius Biosciences, Via Cord, CBR... - November 9th, 2020
- Doctors Consider Convalescent T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 7th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Latest Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types and Applications 2020 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- The Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells market to grow in the wake of incorporation of the latest technology - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 7th, 2020
- Equillium Announces Positive Interim Data of Itolizumab in the First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease - GlobeNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces New OTL-201 Clinical Data in Sanfilippo Syndrome Type A (MPS-IIIA) Accepted for Oral Presentation at 62nd American... - November 7th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 7th, 2020
- Voters approve stem cell research bonds, but other health care measures defeated - State of Reform - State of Reform - November 5th, 2020
- Stem cells key to ALS therapy - Agoura Hills Acorn - November 5th, 2020
- Development and validation of a novel stem cell subtype for bladder cancer based on stem genomic profiling. - UroToday - November 5th, 2020
- New-onset Post-transplant Diabetes and Therapy in Long-term Survivors After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - November 5th, 2020
- Emerging Trends in Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020,Deeply Analyzes Share, Types, Applications and Future Demands by Key Players-... - November 5th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights Global Analysis and Forecast by (2020 2027) - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics' gene therapy Strimvelis linked to a leukemia case - FiercePharma - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Future Demand Analysis with Forecast 2020 to 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces that Janssen has Submitted a Type II Variation Application to the European Medicines Agency for use of Subcutaneous DARZALEX... - November 5th, 2020
- Actinium Announces Two Oral Presentations Featuring Data and Findings from the Phase 3 SIERRA Trial of Iomab-B at the 62nd American Society of... - November 5th, 2020
- CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Plenary Presentation at the 62nd American Society of Hematology... - November 5th, 2020
- Gamida Cell Announces Data to Be Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Virtual Meeting - Business Wire - November 5th, 2020
- XNK Therapeutics receives US orphan drug status for NK cell-based immunotherapy in multiple myeloma - BioSpace - November 5th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market will Showcase Neutral Impact During 2020-2024 | Use of Biomass as a Fuel in Boiler to Boost Market Growth |... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020-2026 Review, Key Findings, Growth Strategy, Developing Technologies, Trends And Global Forecast By Regions -... - November 5th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Trends, Share, Size, Consumption 2020 2026 | MediVet Biologic, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM,... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism: Effects & Costs in 2020 - November 1st, 2020
- aHSCT Gets a Boost in US With NMSS Recommendations - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - November 1st, 2020
- Optimal Health: Cutting Edge Restorative Treatments Cityview - Knoxville City View - November 1st, 2020
- How pain changes your brain - News - The University of Sydney - November 1st, 2020
- Could an Imaging Test Predict How Well Youll Respond to a Stem Cell Transplant? - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Monitoring Growth Opportunities 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 31st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends Analysis Report by Application, Region (North America, South America, Asia, and Europe) and... - October 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Market Growth Factors, Applications, Regional Analysis, Key Players and Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- What Are the Treatment Options When Lymphoma Returns? - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Philadelphia Based Company Wants to Bring Back the Dead With Stem Cells - Gilmore Health News - October 31st, 2020
- Next Steps: What to Do When the First Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment You Try Doesnt Work - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market | Growth Strategies Adopted By Top Key Players,Future Trends ,Application Worldwide And Assessment To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- Here's What Happens When Lab-Grown Mini-Lungs Are Exposed to SARS-CoV-2 - ScienceAlert - October 31st, 2020
- Effect of initial treatment on health-related quality of life in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma without immediate stem cell transplant... - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- Innovations in the Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Field Likely to Aid the Growth of the Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018 to... - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Industry Opportunities with Investment Analysis By... - October 31st, 2020
- Cynata looking to revolutionise stem cell therapy - The West Australian - October 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: "Ending Disease" Documentary Explores How Stem Cell Therapy Aims to Cure the Incurable - Prevention.com - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Aerospace Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Study: Poverty Linked to Higher Risk of Death Among Children with Cancer Undergoing Stem Cell Transplantation - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2020