Cord Blood Registry is Advancing Regenerative Medicine Research at Exciting Pace

SAN BRUNO,Calif., March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --Cord Blood Registry (CBR), the world's largest newborn stem cell bank, is fueling innovation in newborn stem cell research. As CBR prepares to release its 250th cord blood unit for medical use this month, the newborn stem cell bank announces that 71% of all its units released for use have been for emerging applications in regenerative medicine, such as brain injury, autism and type 1 diabetes. The other 29% have been for traditional transplant use, such as leukemia and sickle cell disease. This rapid increase in the use of family banked units for regenerative medicine applications is a complete reversal from the figures just six years ago, where 25% of the units released were for regenerative medicine applications and 75% for traditional transplant use. More than 50% of all cord blood units released for use in emerging regenerative therapies by family banks have been processed and stored at CBR. CBR is the only family newborn stem cell bank to have established FDA-regulated trials and is connecting client families to more potential treatments. As the industry leader in this initiative, Cord Blood Registry continues to focus on advancing the clinical applications of newborn stem cells.



Over the past 20 years, cord blood stem cells have been used to treat more than 80 life-threatening diseases and disorders including certain cancers, blood disorders, immune diseases, and metabolic disorders. Today, promising treatments are paving the way for further research. Current FDA-regulated clinical trials are exploring the use of a child's own cord blood stem cells in regenerative medicine for conditions that have no cure today. Most of these groundbreaking trials only use cord blood stem cells processed and stored by Cord Blood Registry for consistency and because of their commitment to quality.

"At an increased pace, CBR is providing families exclusive access to promising new potential treatment options through our focus on clinical trials," said Geoffrey Crouse, CEO of Cord Blood Registry. "We are proud to partner with researchers at the forefront of stem cell medicine."

Clinical Trials Break New Ground in Regenerative Medicine

Cord blood stem cells are currently being evaluated in a series of clinical trials exclusive to CBR clients as potential treatment for autism, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury and pediatric stroke. Results will be published upon the completion of the trials.

Dr. Michael Chez, director of pediatric neurology at Sutter Medical Center, is leading a landmark FDA-regulated clinical trial to test the use of a child's own cord blood stem cells as a potential therapy to improve language and behavior in children with autism who have no obvious cause for the condition such as a known genetic syndrome or brain injury.

Dr. James Carroll at Georgia Regents University is conducting the first FDA-regulated clinical trial evaluating the use of cord blood stem cell infusions to treat children with cerebral palsy. Drake Haynes, who suffered a stroke after birth and was later diagnosed with cerebral palsy, was infused with his own CBR processed stem cells. Drake's progress is constantly being monitored and he continues to see multiple physical therapists. His family reports anecdotal evidence of steady progress in Drake's speech and mobility. Drake's mother, Nikki Haynes, describes it as the "blinds being lifted." A second FDA-regulated trial for cerebral palsy is underway at Duke University. A number of CBR families are currently participating in this key research as well.

Dr. Charles Cox, professor of pediatric surgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston (UT Health), is leading an FDA-regulated trial studying the use of a child's own cord blood stem cells in the treatment of traumatic brain injury (TBI).

Cord Blood Registry is Advancing Regenerative Medicine Research at Exciting Pace

Related Post