RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., Feb. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Chimerix, Inc., a biotechnology company developing novel antiviral therapeutics, today announced positive results from CMX001 Study 201, a Phase 2 study evaluating CMX001 for the prevention of cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease in hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HCT) recipients. CMX001 is a broad spectrum Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate completing Phase 2 clinical development for the prevention of CMV in HCT recipients. In CMX001 Study 201, a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial which enrolled 230 HCT recipients, CMX001 had a statistically significant benefit versus placebo in preventing CMV viremia and/or CMV disease 13 weeks post-transplant.
Francisco Marty, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital's Division of Infectious Disease, and a lead investigator in Chimerix's CMX001 Phase 2 CMV study, presented the data during the "Best Abstracts Plenary Session" at the 2012 BMT Tandem Meetings on February 3, 2012 in San Diego, California. "This study provides positive data supporting the antiviral activity of CMX001 at different dose levels, and a better understanding of CMX001's safety and tolerability as a prophylactic agent against CMV infection, a major cause of morbidity and mortality in bone marrow transplant recipients," said Dr. Marty. "There is a substantial unmet medical need for safer and effective therapies against CMV. If approved, many patients have the potential to benefit from the future availability of CMX001."
"These results exceeded our high expectations, and we are thrilled to share such positive CMX001 data with the transplant community," said Wendy P. Painter, MD, MPH, Chimerix's Chief Medical Officer. "We look forward to initiating the Phase 3 CMV program later this year. This study reinforces our belief that CMX001's broad spectrum application against multiple viral infections, its safety profile and convenient oral dosing will enable it to become a new standard of care for transplant recipients."
CMX001 Study 201 Results Presented at BMT Tandem Meetings
Results from subjects receiving CMX001 100 mg twice weekly met the primary endpoint, a statistically significant reduction in CMV viremia (CMV > 200 copies/mL) or disease at the end of treatment in CMX001-treated subjects versus those who received placebo (p=0.001). Moreover, CMX001 Study 201 showed that three different doses of CMX001 demonstrated statistically significant reductions in the proportion of subjects with CMV viremia ? 1000 copies/mL at any time during treatment when compared to placebo (p=0.002, <0.001, <0.001, respectively; see Table 1 below). In subjects who were CMV viremia negative prior to treatment, four different CMX001 dose regimens demonstrated statistically significant reduction versus placebo (see Table 2 below).
Subjects with Clinically Relevant CMV Viremia
(> 1,000 copies/mL at any time during treatment)
CMV Viremia (N)
40 mg QW(1)
100 mg QW
200 mg QW
200 mg BIW(2)
100 mg BIW
(1)QW: Once weekly. (2)BIW: Twice weekly.
Subjects with Clinically Relevant CMV Viremia – CMV Negative Strata
(> 1,000 copies/mL at any time during treatment)
CMV Viremia (N)
40 mg QW
100 mg QW
200 mg QW
200 mg BIW
100 mg BIW
There was no difference versus placebo across CMX001 treatment groups in measurements of renal function and hematologic parameters. Diarrhea was the most common adverse event seen in the CMX001 treatment groups and was dose-limiting at the highest dose of CMX001 (200 mg twice weekly).
CMX001 Study 201 Design
CMX001-201 was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation, multi-center trial evaluating the safety, tolerability, and ability of CMX001 to prevent or control CMV disease in 230 evaluable CMV seropositive allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients. Following engraftment (Days 14-30 post-transplant), subjects were stratified based on the presence or absence of acute GVHD requiring systemic therapy and the presence or absence of CMV DNA in plasma and randomized (3:1, CMX001 versus placebo) into five sequential, dose-escalating cohorts. Subjects were treated once weekly or twice weekly for 9 to 11 weeks through post-transplant Week 13, after which subjects were followed for an additional 4 to 8 weeks. Placebo patient results were pooled for endpoint analysis.
CMX001 is a Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate that delivers high intracellular levels of the active antiviral agent cidofovir-diphosphate and has broad spectrum in vitro activity against double-stranded DNA (dsDNA) viruses. CMX001 is completing Phase 2 clinical development for the prophylaxis of CMV and is in Phase 2 development for the preemption and treatment of adenovirus infection in HCT recipients. Antiviral activity results from completed and ongoing studies, coupled with the lack of myelotoxicity and nephrotoxicity seen in currently available therapies, indicate that CMX001 has the potential to improve outcome for immunosuppressed patients.
To date, more than 700 patients have been dosed with CMX001 in placebo-controlled clinical trials and open-label treatment protocols. As part of Chimerix's open-label treatment protocols, data were recently presented at ICAAC 2011 in an oral presentation entitled "CMX001 is not nephrotoxic or myelosuppressive in 183 patients with life threatening dsDNA infections including refractory Cytomegalovirus, Adenovirus, and BK Virus".
CMV is a member of the herpesvirus group of dsDNA viruses. Like other herpesviruses, CMV has the ability to remain dormant in the body for long periods of time. In immunocompromised individuals, including transplant recipients, cancer patients and children born with primary CMV infection, CMV can lead to serious disease or death. At least 65% of transplant recipients are at moderate-to-high risk of CMV due to reactivation of latent virus from donor or recipient tissues. In these patients, CMV disease can lead to severe and potentially life-threatening conditions such as nephritis, pneumonitis or hepatitis, or complications such as acute or chronic rejection of a transplanted organ. While currently available systemic anti-CMV agents can be effective against the virus, their use is limited by significant toxicities, including myelotoxicity and nephrotoxicity.
Chimerix is developing novel antiviral therapeutics with the potential to transform patient care in multiple settings, including transplant, oncology, acute care and global health. Utilizing proprietary lipid conjugate technology, the company's two clinical stage compounds have demonstrated the potential for enhanced activity, bioavailability and safety compared to currently approved drugs.
In addition to the company's development of its lead candidate, CMX001, for transplant recipients, CMX001 is also being developed as a medical countermeasure in the event of a smallpox release, with the potential to provide an important therapeutic option for the 80 million people in the U.S. currently estimated to be immunocompromised, or a household contact of a contraindicated individual, and thus not candidates to receive a smallpox vaccine (for additional information, please see http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/contraindications-clinic.asp). Chimerix has received federal funding for the development of CMX001 as a medical countermeasure against smallpox from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases under Grant No. U01-A1057233 and from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Office of the Secretary, Department of Health and Human Services, under Contract No. HHSO100201100013C.
Chimerix's second clinical-stage antiviral compound, CMX157, is a Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate that delivers high intracellular levels of the active antiviral agent tenofovir-diphosphate. CMX157 is in development as a potent nucleoside analogue against HIV and HBV infections, and has the potential to directly address several limitations of current therapies. CMX157 has completed a Phase 1 clinical trial in healthy volunteers, providing pharmacokinetic data which support the compound's enhanced characteristics.
Led by an experienced antiviral drug development team, Chimerix is also leveraging its lipid conjugate technology and extensive chemical library to pursue new treatments for hepatitis C virus, influenza, and other areas of high unmet medical need. For additional information on Chimerix, please visit http://www.chimerix.com.
 Genovefa Papanicolau, MD, Associate Member of Infectious Diseases Service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, at the 51st Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Stem Cells Offer Hope to Those with Parkinson's Disease - Legal Examiner - October 20th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Know about Impact of Covid-19 by Top Companies like MediVet Biologic, VetStem Biopharma, Stem Cell Vet, Regeneus... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as Coronavirus (COVID-19) Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on... - October 20th, 2020
- California Proposition 14: Funding medical research that uses stem cells - KTLA - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Study COVID19 Impact Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- New reports shines light on Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth strategies adopted by top key players worldwide and assessment to 2026 - PRnews... - October 20th, 2020
- CSL's Broad Response to COVID-19 and Advancements across the Company's Strategic Scientific Platforms are the Focus of Annual R&D Day - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- CIRM Bridges to Stem Cell Research & Therapy The Bridge to Everywhere (in biomedicine) OP-ED - The Silicon Valley Voice - October 16th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) | DNA RNA and... - October 16th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the trials of treatment | News, Sports, Jobs - Escanaba Daily Press - October 16th, 2020
- UofL-born company secures an additional $115 million to advance cell therapy - uoflnews.com - October 16th, 2020
- Gamida Cell and Be The Match BioTherapies Expand Strategic Collaboration - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Houghton Regis dad appeals for help for life-saving treatment abroad - Dunstable Today - October 16th, 2020
- VERIFY: Was the antibody cocktail used to treat President Trump developed using human embryonic stem cells? - CBS News 8 - October 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - re:Jerusalem - October 8th, 2020
- Taking Gene Editing to the Brain, the Immune System, and More - Tufts Now - October 8th, 2020
- Antibody cocktail given to Trump is controversial, and not only because its still under trial - ThePrint - October 7th, 2020
- The Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth To 2023 Will Be Driven By Increasing Prevalence Of Chronic Diseases - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy for blood cancer patients at NIMS - The Hindu - October 7th, 2020
- First Man Cured of AIDS Dies From Cancer - The Keystone Newspaper - October 7th, 2020
- Mesoblast hit by FDA rejection, request to run another trial - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- FDA Grants Breakthrough Therapy Designation to CD123-Directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate - Targeted Oncology - October 7th, 2020
- Avrobio bags gene therapy to join Regenxbio and Sangamo in race - FierceBiotech - October 7th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 4th, 2020
- Coffee enemas and stem cell injections: The life of a biohacker - Wales Online - October 4th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 4th, 2020
- 'Provocative results' boost hopes of antibody treatment for COVID-19 - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Regional Insights and Global Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors NuVasive, Osiris Therapeutics, JCR... - October 4th, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Patient to Be Cured of HIV, Dies of Leukemia - BioSpace - October 4th, 2020
- IL-22induced cell extrusion and IL-18induced cell death prevent and cure rotavirus infection - Science - October 4th, 2020
- No on Prop 14: Not the best way to support stem-cell research - Los Angeles Times - October 1st, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2020 Financial Results of Operations - BioSpace - October 1st, 2020
- Stem cells can repair Parkinson's-damaged circuits in mouse brains - University of Wisconsin-Madison - October 1st, 2020
- Asymmetrex Presents the Value of Tissue Stem Cell Counting For Supplying Stem Cell Clinical Trials and Drug Development Clinical Trials - PR Web - October 1st, 2020
- Smith's 2005 stem cell law to be reauthorized by House - InsiderNJ - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market -Key Players, Size, Growth, Incredible Potential, and Stagnant Progress According to New... - October 1st, 2020
- Risk Based Therapy Approach for Sickle Cell Anemia Patients is Ideal Scenario - MD Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - The... - October 1st, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics to present at Jefferies Cell Therapy Virtual Summit, BIO Investor Forum and New York Stem Cell Foundation Conference in October... - October 1st, 2020
- Timothy Ray Brown, First Person to Be Cured of HIV, Dies - The Scientist - October 1st, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report 2014-2020: Access to Cell Therapy, Organ Regeneration, Stem Cells and Tissue Regeneration Partnering... - October 1st, 2020
- UM171 saves another life - Newswise - October 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Processing Market COVID 19 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Technology Update: ReNeuron Presents Positive Data | Roots Analysis - Crypto Daily - October 1st, 2020
- 20k for treatment to help teenager walk - Southend Standard - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Top Key Players, Product Type, End-user Applications, Region and Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market | Government Bodies Increase Flow of Funding to Discover Treatment Options for Rare Diseases - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Go Strong With 4.2% CAGR Between 2026 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.90 billion by 2027 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Developments In Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Regions, Countries, Sales, Revenue, Leading Companies, Types, Demand, And Forecast Assessment - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research - The... - September 29th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives EMA PRIME Designation for OTL-203 for the Treatment of MPS-I - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Dr. Leslie on the Development of CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL and MCL - OncLive - September 29th, 2020
- From artificial lenses to stem cell techniques: these are the most important innovations in ophthalmology - Innovation Origins - September 29th, 2020
- The global market for Nerve Repair and Regeneration is projected to reach US$12.7 billion by 2025 - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market By Applications, Types, New Technology Opportunity Analysis And Forecast: 2020 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Development Factors and Investment Analysis by Leading Manufacturers: BioLife Solutions, Thermo Fisher... - September 29th, 2020
- 2020 Global Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market Competitive Research, Top Companies, Key Types, Revenue, Share, Size... - September 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025) - GlobeNewswire - September 27th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market - Global Size, Share, Trends and Key Players (2020-2025) - News by aeresearch - September 27th, 2020
- OncoImmune's SACCOVID (CD24Fc) Exhibits Superb Therapeutic EfficacyA Potential Breakthrough in Treating Severe and Critical COVID-19 - Business Wire - September 27th, 2020
- Former NFL star Eddie George returns to Vero Beach for therapy, this time on shoulder - TCPalm - September 21st, 2020
- Market Players Eye Opportunities in Emerging Economies to Gain Ground in the Stem Cell Therapy Market2020 - The Daily Chronicle - September 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market- Roadmap for Recovery from COVID-19 | Increase in Awareness of Stem Cell Therapy to boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - September 19th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Revenue Analysis with Impact of COVID19 - PharmiWeb.com - September 19th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research Report... - September 19th, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - WFMZ Allentown - September 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Products Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 19th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Research Report by Therapy Type - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - September 19th, 2020
- Treatment, Access to Caregivers Among Factors Affecting QOL in MM - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 19th, 2020
- Value of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2017 2025 - Daily Research Chronicle - September 19th, 2020
- New medicines in the pipeline to treat sickle cell disease - BioWorld Online - September 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research... - September 19th, 2020
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures GBP6m in seed financing - Private Equity Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Takeda manufacturing unit to support cell therapy - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - September 18th, 2020