RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., Feb. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Chimerix, Inc., a biotechnology company developing novel antiviral therapeutics, today announced positive results from CMX001 Study 201, a Phase 2 study evaluating CMX001 for the prevention of cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease in hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HCT) recipients. CMX001 is a broad spectrum Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate completing Phase 2 clinical development for the prevention of CMV in HCT recipients. In CMX001 Study 201, a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial which enrolled 230 HCT recipients, CMX001 had a statistically significant benefit versus placebo in preventing CMV viremia and/or CMV disease 13 weeks post-transplant.
Francisco Marty, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital's Division of Infectious Disease, and a lead investigator in Chimerix's CMX001 Phase 2 CMV study, presented the data during the "Best Abstracts Plenary Session" at the 2012 BMT Tandem Meetings on February 3, 2012 in San Diego, California. "This study provides positive data supporting the antiviral activity of CMX001 at different dose levels, and a better understanding of CMX001's safety and tolerability as a prophylactic agent against CMV infection, a major cause of morbidity and mortality in bone marrow transplant recipients," said Dr. Marty. "There is a substantial unmet medical need for safer and effective therapies against CMV. If approved, many patients have the potential to benefit from the future availability of CMX001."
"These results exceeded our high expectations, and we are thrilled to share such positive CMX001 data with the transplant community," said Wendy P. Painter, MD, MPH, Chimerix's Chief Medical Officer. "We look forward to initiating the Phase 3 CMV program later this year. This study reinforces our belief that CMX001's broad spectrum application against multiple viral infections, its safety profile and convenient oral dosing will enable it to become a new standard of care for transplant recipients."
CMX001 Study 201 Results Presented at BMT Tandem Meetings
Results from subjects receiving CMX001 100 mg twice weekly met the primary endpoint, a statistically significant reduction in CMV viremia (CMV > 200 copies/mL) or disease at the end of treatment in CMX001-treated subjects versus those who received placebo (p=0.001). Moreover, CMX001 Study 201 showed that three different doses of CMX001 demonstrated statistically significant reductions in the proportion of subjects with CMV viremia ? 1000 copies/mL at any time during treatment when compared to placebo (p=0.002, <0.001, <0.001, respectively; see Table 1 below). In subjects who were CMV viremia negative prior to treatment, four different CMX001 dose regimens demonstrated statistically significant reduction versus placebo (see Table 2 below).
Subjects with Clinically Relevant CMV Viremia
(> 1,000 copies/mL at any time during treatment)
CMV Viremia (N)
40 mg QW(1)
100 mg QW
200 mg QW
200 mg BIW(2)
100 mg BIW
(1)QW: Once weekly. (2)BIW: Twice weekly.
Subjects with Clinically Relevant CMV Viremia – CMV Negative Strata
(> 1,000 copies/mL at any time during treatment)
CMV Viremia (N)
40 mg QW
100 mg QW
200 mg QW
200 mg BIW
100 mg BIW
There was no difference versus placebo across CMX001 treatment groups in measurements of renal function and hematologic parameters. Diarrhea was the most common adverse event seen in the CMX001 treatment groups and was dose-limiting at the highest dose of CMX001 (200 mg twice weekly).
CMX001 Study 201 Design
CMX001-201 was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation, multi-center trial evaluating the safety, tolerability, and ability of CMX001 to prevent or control CMV disease in 230 evaluable CMV seropositive allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients. Following engraftment (Days 14-30 post-transplant), subjects were stratified based on the presence or absence of acute GVHD requiring systemic therapy and the presence or absence of CMV DNA in plasma and randomized (3:1, CMX001 versus placebo) into five sequential, dose-escalating cohorts. Subjects were treated once weekly or twice weekly for 9 to 11 weeks through post-transplant Week 13, after which subjects were followed for an additional 4 to 8 weeks. Placebo patient results were pooled for endpoint analysis.
CMX001 is a Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate that delivers high intracellular levels of the active antiviral agent cidofovir-diphosphate and has broad spectrum in vitro activity against double-stranded DNA (dsDNA) viruses. CMX001 is completing Phase 2 clinical development for the prophylaxis of CMV and is in Phase 2 development for the preemption and treatment of adenovirus infection in HCT recipients. Antiviral activity results from completed and ongoing studies, coupled with the lack of myelotoxicity and nephrotoxicity seen in currently available therapies, indicate that CMX001 has the potential to improve outcome for immunosuppressed patients.
To date, more than 700 patients have been dosed with CMX001 in placebo-controlled clinical trials and open-label treatment protocols. As part of Chimerix's open-label treatment protocols, data were recently presented at ICAAC 2011 in an oral presentation entitled "CMX001 is not nephrotoxic or myelosuppressive in 183 patients with life threatening dsDNA infections including refractory Cytomegalovirus, Adenovirus, and BK Virus".
CMV is a member of the herpesvirus group of dsDNA viruses. Like other herpesviruses, CMV has the ability to remain dormant in the body for long periods of time. In immunocompromised individuals, including transplant recipients, cancer patients and children born with primary CMV infection, CMV can lead to serious disease or death. At least 65% of transplant recipients are at moderate-to-high risk of CMV due to reactivation of latent virus from donor or recipient tissues. In these patients, CMV disease can lead to severe and potentially life-threatening conditions such as nephritis, pneumonitis or hepatitis, or complications such as acute or chronic rejection of a transplanted organ. While currently available systemic anti-CMV agents can be effective against the virus, their use is limited by significant toxicities, including myelotoxicity and nephrotoxicity.
Chimerix is developing novel antiviral therapeutics with the potential to transform patient care in multiple settings, including transplant, oncology, acute care and global health. Utilizing proprietary lipid conjugate technology, the company's two clinical stage compounds have demonstrated the potential for enhanced activity, bioavailability and safety compared to currently approved drugs.
In addition to the company's development of its lead candidate, CMX001, for transplant recipients, CMX001 is also being developed as a medical countermeasure in the event of a smallpox release, with the potential to provide an important therapeutic option for the 80 million people in the U.S. currently estimated to be immunocompromised, or a household contact of a contraindicated individual, and thus not candidates to receive a smallpox vaccine (for additional information, please see http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/contraindications-clinic.asp). Chimerix has received federal funding for the development of CMX001 as a medical countermeasure against smallpox from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases under Grant No. U01-A1057233 and from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Office of the Secretary, Department of Health and Human Services, under Contract No. HHSO100201100013C.
Chimerix's second clinical-stage antiviral compound, CMX157, is a Lipid-Antiviral-Conjugate that delivers high intracellular levels of the active antiviral agent tenofovir-diphosphate. CMX157 is in development as a potent nucleoside analogue against HIV and HBV infections, and has the potential to directly address several limitations of current therapies. CMX157 has completed a Phase 1 clinical trial in healthy volunteers, providing pharmacokinetic data which support the compound's enhanced characteristics.
Led by an experienced antiviral drug development team, Chimerix is also leveraging its lipid conjugate technology and extensive chemical library to pursue new treatments for hepatitis C virus, influenza, and other areas of high unmet medical need. For additional information on Chimerix, please visit http://www.chimerix.com.
 Genovefa Papanicolau, MD, Associate Member of Infectious Diseases Service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, at the 51st Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for COPD: Cost, effectiveness, and more - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk on Hemostemix's autologous stem cell therapy technology and why some call it 'the fountain of youth' - InvestorIntel - May 3rd, 2021
- Mesoblast says its stem cell treatment saved lives of severely ill COVID patients - Stockhead - May 3rd, 2021
- Antiviral T cells protected, viable as off-the-shelf treatment for painful complication stem cells - Microbioz India - May 3rd, 2021
- Investigating CAR T-Cell Therapy for Use in Different Disease Types - Targeted Oncology - May 3rd, 2021
- Should scientists be allowed to grow human embryos in a dish beyond 14 days? Is it scientifically important or morally wrong? - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Brave New World is being reinvented with synthetic embryosand the right reasons - SYFY WIRE - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Evaluation 2021 By Leading Players Updates, Consumer-Demand, Key Strategies, Consumption, Industry Development, Market... - May 3rd, 2021
- STEM NOLA Teams with Obatala Science & CellSpring to Expose Students to Careers and Medical Research at Biotech Startups - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapies in sight | UNC-Chapel Hill - UNC Chapell Hill - May 3rd, 2021
- FDA's Abecma Approval a 'Great Blessing' for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Enhanced inhibition of tumor growth using TRAIL-overexpressing adipose-derived stem cells in combination with the chemotherapeutic agent CPT-11 in... - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights | Reportspedia Clark... - May 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Clark County... - May 3rd, 2021
- CRISPRoff Reversible Epigenome Editing Method Could Enable Safer, More Precise Therapeutics - GenomeWeb - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market To Expand At An expeditious Growth Rate From 2021-2027 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Nanofiber Solutions, Advanced Biomatrix,... - May 3rd, 2021
- FTC continues to crack down on companies peddling fake COVID treatments and cures - HamletHub - May 3rd, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - marketscreener.com - April 18th, 2021
- Russell Health Honored in Global Business Leaders Magazine's '20 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- Durable B-ALL Control With Allogeneic Transplant After CAR T-Cell Therapy - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR lauds easy scale-out of cell therapy - BioProcess Insider - BioProcess Insider - April 18th, 2021
- NeoProgen, Inc. Receives First Granted Patent for Method to Treat Cardiac Conditions using Neonatal Heart-derived Medicinal Signaling Cells (nMSCs)... - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR gene therapy for sickle cell disease approved by the FDA - BioNews - April 18th, 2021
- Man's heart healed by stem cell therapy and love of an old flame - Leeds Live - April 18th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Professional Report 2021 Witness Robust Expansion by 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis 2021: Size, Share, Sales, Growth, Revenue, Type, Application & Forecast To 2027 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Mastitis therapy explored | AG | kmaland.com - KMAland - April 18th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Enters the Arena in Multiple Myeloma With Ongoing Research Ahead - OncLive - April 18th, 2021
- Leukemia Cutis: Symptoms and Treatment - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is Set to Witness Impressive Growth | Top Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 SWOT Analysis, Growth Rate, and Market Share By Type, Application and Global Forecast 2027 - Los Hijos de la... - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2025 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Pericardial Injection Effective, Less Invasive Way to Get Regenerative Therapies to Heart - NC State News - March 8th, 2021
- Biomarkers Help Predict the Role of Chemotherapy in Biologic Aging - OncLive - March 8th, 2021
- Glial Cell Discovery Could Point the Way to Motor Neuron Disease Therapies - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- Mouth Sores from Chemo: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments - Healthline - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Meet the women hoping to recruit more stem cells donors from Black communities - CTV News - February 19th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Carves Out a Role in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - February 19th, 2021
- AI project to power the future of stem cell manufacturing - TechCentral.ie - February 17th, 2021
- Promising Results for Stem Cell Treatment of Degenerative ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Disease - Cleveland Clinic - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Stroke Recovery | University of ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment: Future of Modern Medicine | Science Times - February 14th, 2021
- Researchers may have found a miracle cure for baldness - BGR - February 14th, 2021
- Types of leukemia: Prevalence, treatment options, and prognosis - Medical News Today - February 14th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Launch of New Clinical Trial with National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to Evaluate JSP191 in Sickle Cell Disease -... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 14th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 14th, 2021
- Network-based screen in iPSC-derived cells reveals therapeutic candidate for heart valve disease - Science - February 14th, 2021
- AlloVir Research Presented at the 2021 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meeting Digital Experience - Business Wire - February 14th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics talks the benefits of HSC therapy - BioProcess Insider - February 14th, 2021
- Protein Discovery in the Development of New Hearing Hair Cells Could Lead to Treatments for Hearing Loss - SciTechDaily - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 4th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 22nd, 2021
- Massive Growth in Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2027| VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - January 22nd, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 22nd, 2021
- Promising Steps Toward Retinal Cell Transplants to Fight Blindness - HealthDay News - January 22nd, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - InvestorIntel - January 22nd, 2021
- Trending News on Targeted Oncology, Week of January 22, 2021 - Targeted Oncology - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - January 22nd, 2021
- Time To Book Profit In Fate Therapeutics Stock After A 5x Rally? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2021
- Reid Merryman, MD, on Study Findings Investigating Prognostic Value of ctDNA for Patients with DLBCL - Cancer Network - January 22nd, 2021
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021