Four year old Zoe Dudzianiec (Provided by Katelyn Bedard Bone Marrow Association) By Maureen RevaitSeptember 19, 2019 5:07am
A young Tecumseh girl suffering from a rare blood disorder needs to find a stem cell match.
Zoe Dudzianiec has Diamond-Blackfan Anemia. In simple terms, that means her body doesnt produce the red blood cells she needs to live. She needs a blood transfusion every 10-14 days and nightly chelation therapy to battle the side effects of the blood transfusions.
It can actually cause her to be blind, deaf, it can cause seizures, hearing loss, lots of nasty side effects, said Heidi Dudzianiec, Zoes mother. Zoe is basically maxed out on all the doses of her chelation therapy so there are side effects from it.
Zoe will have to continue this therapy for the rest of her life if a stem cell match or bone marrow donor is not found.
Heidi said theyve been searching for a match for two and a half years and out of 60 million possible donors worldwide theyve found two possible donors.
They rate the matches out of ten, basically. The two they found for Zoe were an eight-out-of-10, but the first one only had a 50 per cent survival rate, which was very bad, and the second one they said there was a very high chance of it reacting with her body, said Heidi.
Doctors deemed the matches not suitable for transplant.
The Katelyn Bedard Bone Marrow Association is holding a Get Swabbed event in conjunction with the Childrens Fest happening Saturday and Sunday, September 21 & 22 at Central Park Athletics in hopes of getting more people on the registry to find Zoe a match.
Anyone between the ages of 17 and 35 with a Canadian health card can be swabbed. However, Dudzianiec says doctors have told them they need people of Middle Eastern descent to get tested to increase the odds of finding a match for Zoe.
My Dad is Middle Eastern, and so they said it could be tricky for Zoe, Heidi said. If you think about it, theyre probably not doing swab events and things [in the Middle East] so theres not a lot of people of Middle Eastern descent on the world-wide registry.
Zoe is one of 900 Canadians looking for a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.
Anyone who cannot make the event this weekend can request a swabbing kit be mailed to their home by visiting the Canadian Blood Services website.
View original post here:
Tecumseh girl still looking for bone marrow donor - BlackburnNews.com
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Arya Lloyd: Father launches global search for blood stem cell donor to save his 12-year-old daughter - Sky News - November 20th, 2020
- Blood Cancer: Science Reveal Five Easily Missed Signs of Leukemia - Science Times - November 20th, 2020
- Karnataka:Community cord blood banking emerges as lifesaver - United News of India - November 18th, 2020
- How CAR-T Cell Therapy is Being Used in the Field of Blood Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - November 16th, 2020
- Election results for California Propositions 14, 18, 23, and 24 - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 16th, 2020
- Cell Separation Beads Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2028 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Fight for the rights of unborn - The Daily Telegram - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- Doctors Debate: Is Intensive or Low-Intensity Chemotherapy Plus BCR-ABL TKI Therapy Best for Treatment of Ph+ ALL? - Targeted Oncology - November 11th, 2020
- Record number of stem cell donors apply after Ex On The Beach star plea - expressandstar.com - November 11th, 2020
- Bisbee: A commitment to health care initiatives The Journal Record - Journal Record - November 11th, 2020
- California election results: Where state propositions stand as of Thursday at 5 p.m. - Desert Sun - November 11th, 2020
- Critically ill Indonesian woman thanks Taiwan for saving life - Taiwan News - November 7th, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present New Research on Bone Marrow Transplants, Immunotherapy and Other Blood Cancer Treatments - Business Wire - November 7th, 2020
- Daily Edition for Wednesday, November 4, 2020 - California Healthline - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're truly blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his recent fight to save his brother, Eric - ESPN - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're really blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his current battle to save lots of his brother, Eric - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 7th, 2020
- Mark Drought: Are we on the brink of another civil war? - The Advocate - November 7th, 2020
- What to eat when you have the flu, recommended by doctors - Business Insider India - October 30th, 2020
- Fine-Tuning Treatments for COVID-19 - American Council on Science and Health - October 30th, 2020
- Aborted girl fetus kidneys made Trumps CoV meds. As SARS2 is unfettered in America, this needs thought - Feminine-Perspective Magazine (FPMag) - October 30th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Provisional Ballots May Play Role - Bloomberg Government - October 30th, 2020
- Unless the country invests in cancer care, the statistics for breast cancer will be bleak: Dr Anthony Pais, .. - ETHealthworld.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Autologous Fat Grafting Market Scope Analysis 2019 to 2029 - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- How Clinique La Prairie Is Keeping Humanity Fashionably Healthy In The Age Of Covid - Forbes - October 23rd, 2020
- The Anthony Nolan and NHS Stem Cell Registry - The Hippocratic Post - October 21st, 2020
- Jeff Bridges is one of the 85,000-plus lymphoma cases expected in the U.S. this year - MarketWatch - October 21st, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Saving an unborn baby breaking apart in the womb - WQAD.com - October 21st, 2020
- Orgenesis completes acquisition of Koligo Therapeutics and announces additional acquisition of Icellator(R) Technology from Tissue Genesis in related... - October 21st, 2020
- SA becomes 2nd country to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to donate bone marrow - News24 - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2025 KYT24 - KYT24 - October 21st, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani shares his insights about the evolution of plastic surgery - LA Progressive - October 21st, 2020
- Manya Saaraswat Makes Top 5 Finish in 2020 Miss World America Competition, Three Other Indian Americans in Top 10 - India West - October 21st, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - LubbockOnline.com - October 15th, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani Discusses the Future of Plastic Surgery - The Jerusalem Post - October 15th, 2020
- The story of how a biotech co. came to the aid of an ill 9-year-old boy - Stockhouse - October 15th, 2020
- Where Amy Coney Barrett Stands on IVF - Glamour - October 15th, 2020
- Regeneron, Trump, and the alleged hypocrisy of the pro-life movement - Christian Post - October 15th, 2020
- Life Sciences - a year to remember - Lexology - October 15th, 2020
- Proposition 14: With Handful of Cures, Calif. Stem Cell Agency Has Mixed Record. Will Voters Pony Up Another $5.5 Billion? - KQED - October 8th, 2020
- Woman who lost her partner to cancer last year set to run 10K in his memory - Warrington Guardian - October 8th, 2020
- Different Types of Childhood Cancer | INTEGRIS - Integris - October 3rd, 2020
- A perfect match: Bone marrow transplant saves twin brother's life. Now their family pays it forward - 11Alive.com WXIA - October 3rd, 2020
- Baby whose nosebleeds turned out to be deadly condition saved by stranger - Mirror Online - October 3rd, 2020
- Over 40 lakh people in Telangana have developed COVID-19 antibodies: Health Minister Eatala - The New Indian Express - October 3rd, 2020
- Coming of Age: New Research Efforts are Improving Treatment of Childhood Blood Cancers - Curetoday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- World Rose Day 2020: History and significance of the welfare of cancer patients - Hindustan Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Guide to Voting on Propositions and the City of San Bernardino's Measure S - Black Voice News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blood Cancer Awareness Month 2020 - Everyday Health - September 23rd, 2020
- CARLTON FLETCHER: McConnell is the poster boy for sleazy, partisan politics - The Albany Herald - September 23rd, 2020
- Faith for the fight: Neosho teen deals with rare combination of illnesses - Joplin Globe - September 21st, 2020
- RCSI partnership aims to advance predictive tests for common blood cancer - Siliconrepublic.com - September 21st, 2020
- Odessa woman hopes to gain back her sight after 6 years of being blind - NewsWest9.com - September 19th, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - thepress.net - September 19th, 2020
- Highland family from Alness pleads for potential donors to come forward to help ill toddler - Inverness Courier - September 19th, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Treatment Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Application, Type, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 8th, 2020
- Editorial: UT Health's new teaching hospital will boost region - Laredo Morning Times - September 6th, 2020
- Mum's message to the complete stranger who saved her son's life - LincolnshireLive - September 6th, 2020
- Important to balance benefits of cancer-related care with risks related to COVID-19: Dr Hari Menon - Express Healthcare - September 6th, 2020
- Be The Match Presents "Sickle Cell Connect" Virtual Event Series To Raise Awareness Of Treatment Options And Marrow Transplants As A Cure... - September 5th, 2020
- Betty Lin-Fisher: Men, take care of your health - Akron Beacon Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Seniors suffer the most from antiquated FDA approval process | TheHill - The Hill - September 5th, 2020
- Father of Three with Incurable Cancer is Helping Researchers Get One Step Closer to a Cure - The Suburban Newspaper - September 5th, 2020
- There is a dire need for 'donors of colour' in the fight against blood disorders - Health24 - September 5th, 2020
- Editorial: UT Healths new teaching hospital will boost region - San Antonio Express-News - September 5th, 2020
- Parents plea for stem cell help to save life of daughter with rare blood disorder - Mirror Online - September 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - September 1st, 2020
- 5 Recent Tech Innovations Disrupting the Medical and Healthcare Industry - HealthTechZone - August 29th, 2020
- A New FMI Report Forecasts the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Stem Cell Therapies Market Growth Post 2020 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Sophie (5) lit up a room and was a little inspiration - New Ross Standard - August 29th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market 2018 Analysis Of Production, Future Demand, Sales And Consumption Research Report To 2023 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Rare group of HIV patients don't need drugs to suppress virus due to way it integrates in their DNA - Brinkwire - August 29th, 2020
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies announces new facilities - PR Web - August 27th, 2020
- FDA Clears Jointechlabs' MiniTC for Point-of-Care Fat Tissue Processing and its Broad Range of Applications - PRNewswire - August 27th, 2020
- Religion and The Trump-Pence Ticket - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- 'I had my penis amputated - so I've travelled the world shopping for a new one' - Mirror Online - August 27th, 2020
- Determined 24-year-old fighting rare aggressive cancer - Northumberland Gazette - August 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation, Assessment and Growth Opportunities by Forecast 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020