When Katie Brickman and Flash were hurt, she feared she would never ride again, but the pair have qualified for a top competition. Catherine Scott reports.
Two years ago Katie Brickman was told she would never ride again after a freak accident.
She was devastated and the bad news was compounded when her beloved horse Flash was also injured.
But the determined equine vet, who lives in Welburn, North Yorkshire, has defied expectations and she and Flash have qualified for a top eventing competition.
Katie, 29, who works at Minster Equine Veterinary Clinic in Ripon, refused to give up when doctors told her riding career was over because of a hand injury.
She then used the same determination to help Flash recover from an injury most competition horses would never recover from.
In March 2017, Katie suffered the horrific injury when she fell over while carrying a 500ml glass bottle of antibiotics, severing an artery and nerves in her left hand.
I was lucky that one of the people working in the yard was also a nurse so she helped tourniquet my hand as there was a lot of blood.
She was rushed to hospital in York and then transferred in Hull, where she underwent an eight-hour operation.
She was told the damage was so serious, she might never be able to properly grip reins again and was advised to retire from riding.
For someone who had ridden since she was three, it was devastating.
Two months later, Flash suffered a serious injury when he ripped a ligament in the stifle joint at the top of his leg while in his field.
The prognosis was so bleak, Katie feared he would have to be put down.
When he had a bone scan it was so bad that they said I should even think about having him put down.
But I love that horse. He is really quirky and not easy but for me he is amazing and I wasnt going to give up on him.
Katie and Flash both made a miraculous recovery and returned to competition this year.
Not only have they enjoyed their best-ever year with four wins, they have qualified for Badminton Horse Trials Grassroots Championships, in May, part of one of the biggest events in the world equine sporting calendar.
Katie, who has worked with Minster Equine Veterinary Clinic in York and Malton as well as Ripon for six years, has a particular interest in orthopaedics and the performance of sport horses so was in the ideal position to help Flash.
He was very lame on his left hind leg and, following diagnostics, it was discovered he had split his middle patella ligament, explains Katie.
This is an extremely rare injury, in fact I have only found one other case in America.
I was told Flash may never be sound again, never mind event again.
After six months of rest, Katie took him for a bone scan at Rainbow Equine Hospital, which like Minster Equine Clinic, is owned by VetPartners, a York-based veterinary group. While she feared he would never compete in eventing again, she hoped Flash could at least ride again.
She started giving him laser, shockwave and ultrasound treatment to the injured stifle joint, as well as stem cell therapy.
By August 2018, he was making such good progress, Katie decided to test out his recovery, as well as her own, by jumping then this year started competing.
It was the best feeling ever, she says.
I took it very very slowly as I would never want to anything that would harm him. But he loves to compete.
In October 2018, she competed at Askham Bryan College, in York and won.
After finishing fifth in their first British Evening One-Day Event at Epworth, near Doncaster, Katie and Flash won at Northallerton in April, finished second at Richmond in May, before winning a qualifier for the Three-Day Event National Championships in Oxford in June.
They won that event and then finished fourth in the British Eventing Regional Finals, at Western Park, in October, qualifying for the Badminton Horse Trials Grassroots Championship.
Katie will still have to have physiotherapy on her hand and she will never be able to lay it flat.
I had to have a second operation on my hand and then after that the physio was really painful, but I was told it was crucial.
It actually was easier holding the reins and riding.
Flash and I have both gone from being told neither of us will never compete again to qualifying for the Badminton Grassroots Championships.
He has had an amazing season and its been our best ever year. It goes to show you should never give up and all horses deserve a chance to recover from even the worst kind of injuries.
I never gave up hope on either of us, but to reach Badminton is beyond my wildest dreams.
Flash is a very special horse because he had a tough start as I dont think he was treated well before I got him so hes very nervous.
It was really grim news about his injury as he was extremely lame, but I was determined to do everything to help him recover even though everything was stacked against him.
Katie added: My surgeon says he couldnt believe it, but I am stubborn, and was determined to ride again. I was also determined not to give up on Flash.
We have such a good relationship as a horse and rider, and Im absolutely thrilled at what weve achieved together against all the odds.
- Indiana's top doctors frustrated about the state's COVID-19 vaccination rate - 953mnc.com - August 31st, 2021
- Should You Get a COVID Booster Shot? Our Doctor Explains - Articles and Videos, COVID-19, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - August 31st, 2021
- OpRegen: tackling the leading cause of blindness with cell replacement - Clinical Trials Arena - August 31st, 2021
- I blamed stress for my three-month period but it turned out to be much more sinister... - The Sun - August 31st, 2021
- New fault lines emerge in Car-T therapy - Vantage - August 31st, 2021
- When aid-in-dying means you have to go before youre ready - Monterey Herald - August 31st, 2021
- Dr. Death Season 1 Review: Truth continues to be stranger than fiction. - Times of India - August 31st, 2021
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) Diagnostics Market is expected to Account for Over US$ 9.5 Million in - PharmiWeb.com - August 31st, 2021
- COVID-19 in children with cancer: Severe disease and disrupted treatment - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2021
- Sophomore saves sister's life with stem cell donation - University of Miami - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Blood donation clinic will honour life of Jocelyn McGlynn - Chatham Daily News - August 5th, 2021
- Pharming Group reports financial results for the first half of 2021 - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Symptoms of seizures: Early signs, post-seizure, and more - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2021
- Lymph nodes: Purpose, location, and disease warning signs - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Teesside baby will be third in country to have ground breaking complex cancer treatment - Teesside Live - June 8th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 8th, 2021
- Local veterinary clinics offer integrated care options for pets - williamsonherald.com - June 8th, 2021
- Blood cancer and leukaemia: UAE oncologist urges public to spot the symptoms - The National - June 8th, 2021
- Replotting the human: the thorny ethics of growing babies outside the womb - Prospect - June 8th, 2021
- Crossroads of life: Jordan Reed's journey through concussions, injuries and post-NFL healing - The Athletic - June 8th, 2021
- B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: What to know - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and stomach pain: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Top 12 Disruptive Gene and Cell Therapy Technologies Announced - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- BlueRock and Senti Collaborate to Build Smarter, Disease-Fighting Cell Therapies - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Living with blood cancer - Lara Said - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- 3D Printed Stem Cells Could Revolutionize Neuroscience, Aid Treatment and Understanding of Neural Diseases - Science Times - May 28th, 2021
- In the War on Cancer, Science Is Winning - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- Whats Causing Black Fungus? Here Is What The Doctors Have To Say - The Logical Indian - May 28th, 2021
- University of Pittsburgh Won't Explain its Planned Parenthood Ties | Opinion - Newsweek - May 28th, 2021
- Trial treatment with a mythologically-inspired name saves life of young man diagnosed with multiple myeloma - Neos Kosmos - May 28th, 2021
- An unusual addition to Californias 2022 ballot - CalMatters - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Los Angeles - Darrow Stem Cell Institute - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplants: A Lifesaving Treatment for Cancer ... - February 14th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Are Covid-19 vaccines safe for cancer patients? Here is what cancer experts say - CNN - February 14th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army needs stem cell donor as mum begs for help to save three-year-old's life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army: mum opens up on heartbreaking decision to make 3-year-old sick to save his life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Bone marrow transplant shows signs of curing brave little boy with one in a million condition - Shields Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Canada's blood supply has a diversity problem and people are dying because of it - CBC.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- State-of-the-Art Treatments Garner University Foot and Ankle Institute Multiple Top Doctor Awards - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2021
- Dean Tracy Johnson seeks to diversify the pipeline of future scientists and doctors - UCLA Newsroom - February 2nd, 2021
- Transforming optimism: finding new ways to treat rare cancers - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - February 2nd, 2021
- Family of Belfast woman Eimear Gooderham (25) share memories and dealing with grief in special UTV programme - Belfast Telegraph - February 2nd, 2021
- Doctor: COVID-19 cases will continue to slowly go down, but were not out of the woods - Yahoo Money - January 23rd, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players In-depth Analysis Research Report Foresight to 2027 - KSU | The... - January 23rd, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Sisters who organised an Ilkley fundraising ball are to be honoured - Wharfedale Observer - January 22nd, 2021
- Medical Doctor: Roes Overlooking of the Consensus of Societal Morality and Science Reverberates to This Day - National Catholic Register - January 22nd, 2021
- DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) Becomes the First FDA-Approved Treatment for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - January 22nd, 2021
- Seattle researchers find clues for treatments that could eliminate HIV in infected patients - GeekWire - January 14th, 2021
- Flow Cytometry Market is Projected to Reach a Value of US$8100 Mn by the End of 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors diagnosed a Suffolk teen with a rare condition. Now, his mom is part of the solution - 13newsnow.com WVEC - January 12th, 2021
- Cassville club assists 2 families as they recover from illness - telegraphherald.com - January 12th, 2021
- The 26 billion-dollar startups to watch that are revolutionizing healthcare in 2021 - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market 2020 Overview By Size, Share, Trends, Growth Factors and Leading Players With Detailed Analysis of Industry Structure... - January 12th, 2021
- More than 250 articles and a book later, the Valley Doctor bids adieu - San Lorenzo Valley Press-Banner - January 12th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Treatment for Severe COVID-19 Using Stem Cells It's Like Smart Bomb Technology in the Lung - SciTechDaily - January 5th, 2021
- New combo therapy offered against refractory T-cell lymphoma - Korea Biomedical Review - January 5th, 2021
- Hair Growth Treatment Secrets Bollywood Will Never Tell You About - Times of India - January 5th, 2021
- Are metabolic hormones the next frontier in cancer treatment? - MedCity News - January 5th, 2021
- Limerick toddler to wait six months for trial cancer treatment after family raises over 400,000 - Extra.ie - January 5th, 2021
- West Lothian mum fighting for her life after back pain turned out to be terminal blood cancer - Edinburgh Live - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Yahoo Finance UK - January 5th, 2021
- A Wish Come True urges plungers to dump a bucket of ice water on themselves for this year's fundraiser - Fall River Herald News - December 26th, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- The 11 most mind-blowing, awe-inspiring health discoveries and innovations of 2020 - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- 3-year-old patient successfully treated for rare fatal disease- familial Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) at Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Startups are racing to reproduce breast milk in the lab - MIT Technology Review - December 22nd, 2020
- Hand weakness: Causes, symptoms, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Gujarat Issues Health Advisory On Fungal Infection With "50% Mortality Rate" - NDTV - December 22nd, 2020
- A side-by-side comparison of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines - STAT - December 22nd, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present Innovative Therapies to Better Treat Blood Cancers at American Society of Hematology Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 9th, 2020
- Medical technologies that will disrupt (and improve) healthcare in the 2020s - Universe.byu.edu - December 9th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Arya Lloyd: Father launches global search for blood stem cell donor to save his 12-year-old daughter - Sky News - November 20th, 2020