Illustration for election 2020 column
Illustration for election 2020 column
Photo: M. Ryder / M. Ryder
Illustration for election 2020 column
Illustration for election 2020 column
Mark Drought: Are we on the brink of another civil war?
This was written during the run-up to Election Day. Its possible we will have chosen a president by the time you read it, but it could remain unsettled well into December. Some are calling this the most important election in American history. That might be hyperbole; however, it is likely to be the most critical vote since Lincolns reelection in 1864.
Coming at the end of a year in which governmental incompetence may contribute to a quarter-million deaths, this election is more tense than usual. Many of us are voting angrily this time, because of whats been taken from us during the past four years, and what could be lost during the next four. For some, belief in their country has rapidly eroded, as events have transpired that they had never imagined possible.
It started when the GOP toyed with the idea of a game show host as its standard bearer. A majority of the Americans who consider themselves righteous and on the Right decided Trump had the right stuff to lead the free world. This possibility seemed far-fetched, until it began happening. I never thought the Republicans would nominate the worst human being since George Wallace to run for the White House, nor did I think the most vulgar, dishonest, unqualified and unfit candidate in recent memory would receive a minority of votes sufficiently large to put him in the Oval Office.
Four years later, the country has changed in ways wed never have predicted. Candidate Trump promised to drain the swamp, which now smells worse than ever, and would have been a sewer into the prison system, had the Justice Department not joined the executive branch in this cesspool. Yet they tell us not to trust the deep state the functioning part of the government (e.g., the CIA, FBI and NSC) that actually gets things done because it doesnt slavishly parrot the policies and fiats of the Dear Leader enough.
This has also been extended to his handpicked lackeys, such as former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who was fired for being insufficiently ruthless in running the Justice Dept. as Trumps own personal law firm. His intensely obsequious replacement, Bill Barr, has been enough of a boot-licker to keep the boss happy, thus keeping his job.
In the Trump orbit, sycophants are considered both necessary and virtuous. Ted Cruz whose wife Trump called ugly and whose father Trump called complicit in the Kennedy assassination has failed to defend his familys honor; instead, hes become one of The Donalds more craven lapdogs. The GOPs labeling of liberals as snowflakes seems ironic at a time when the spineless Cruz and gelatinous Lindsey Graham typify Trump Republicans. GOP mavericks such as John McCain are as extinct as the Stegosaurus.
Speaking of snowflakes, did you ever imagine youd see the day a U.S. president would moan that the questions Leslie Stahl asked during a 60 Minutes interview were tougher than those asked of his opponent? Trump looked like he was ready to cry after he fled this unfair interrogation, but we now live in a time when a tough guy who cant face tough questions and calls a free press the enemy of the American people prefers to simply run from both. Its what youd expect from a whiny, fact-averse, habitual liar.
And who would imagine that, in the midst of a 21st century pandemic, Trump Republicans would reject science? We already knew their attitudes toward evolution, stem cell research and climate science, but the scary Trumpian warning that, if elected, Biden would, listen to the scientists, seems as weird as his bizarre accusation that, Doctors get more money if someone dies from COVID.
The Trump era has become a time when you can literally claim anything from birtherism to Obamagate to COVID is a hoax for which hydroxychloroquine is the cure just by saying it. More ominously, Trumpists are undermining our system of governance by claiming the election is rigged and rife with voter fraud, with no evidence whatsoever, just in case they lose.
Meanwhile, they work to restrict peoples ability to vote by sabotaging the postal system and by encouraging armed, thuggish poll watchers to suppress the vote. By the time this election is over, the Orange Mans militias will have diminished Americas faith in free elections, which were once a hallmark of democracy.
The Right threatens a civil war if the election is closely contested. I suspect many of them believe the wrong side won the previous civil war and take exception to the self-evident statement that Black lives matter. Obviously, everyones life should matter, so why do Trump cultists consider Blacks who want to protect their own lives to be anti-American radicals? Could it be because American exceptionalism has become largely about white supremacy, and reflects the views of Klansmen and neo-Nazis, whom our president refers to as some good people?
Walmart has reportedly removed guns and ammo from its shelves due to fears of potential violence brought on by a close election, and some businesses have increased insurance coverage in the face of possible looting. This situation is worsened by the presidents refusal to accept a peaceful transfer of power should he lose. Hes stated that he could lose only if the Democrats cheated, and no prominent GOP leaders oppose his unwillingness to respect the decision of the American people in a free election.
Many Americans have lost respect for their country and their countrymen. Even if Trump loses, nearly half the nation will have voted for a buffoonish bigot responsible for thousands of deaths, whos no friend of democracy or the U.S. electoral system. And should he be reelected, it will be as hard to get his first Trump-Biden debate performance out of my head as it will be to unsee the image of him dancing to the Village Peoples YMCA at his campaign rallies.
Greenwich native Mark Drought (email@example.com) is an editor at a Stamford IT firm and was an adjunct English professor at the University of Connecticut-Stamford.
See the original post:
Mark Drought: Are we on the brink of another civil war? - The Advocate
- Sophomore saves sister's life with stem cell donation - University of Miami - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Blood donation clinic will honour life of Jocelyn McGlynn - Chatham Daily News - August 5th, 2021
- Pharming Group reports financial results for the first half of 2021 - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Symptoms of seizures: Early signs, post-seizure, and more - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2021
- Lymph nodes: Purpose, location, and disease warning signs - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Teesside baby will be third in country to have ground breaking complex cancer treatment - Teesside Live - June 8th, 2021
- Brave Nathaniel Nabena, 9, all smiles as he has life-saving procedure - thanks to you - The Mirror - June 8th, 2021
- Local veterinary clinics offer integrated care options for pets - williamsonherald.com - June 8th, 2021
- Blood cancer and leukaemia: UAE oncologist urges public to spot the symptoms - The National - June 8th, 2021
- Replotting the human: the thorny ethics of growing babies outside the womb - Prospect - June 8th, 2021
- Crossroads of life: Jordan Reed's journey through concussions, injuries and post-NFL healing - The Athletic - June 8th, 2021
- B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: What to know - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and stomach pain: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 28th, 2021
- Top 12 Disruptive Gene and Cell Therapy Technologies Announced - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- BlueRock and Senti Collaborate to Build Smarter, Disease-Fighting Cell Therapies - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Living with blood cancer - Lara Said - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- 3D Printed Stem Cells Could Revolutionize Neuroscience, Aid Treatment and Understanding of Neural Diseases - Science Times - May 28th, 2021
- In the War on Cancer, Science Is Winning - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- Whats Causing Black Fungus? Here Is What The Doctors Have To Say - The Logical Indian - May 28th, 2021
- University of Pittsburgh Won't Explain its Planned Parenthood Ties | Opinion - Newsweek - May 28th, 2021
- Trial treatment with a mythologically-inspired name saves life of young man diagnosed with multiple myeloma - Neos Kosmos - May 28th, 2021
- An unusual addition to Californias 2022 ballot - CalMatters - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Los Angeles - Darrow Stem Cell Institute - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplants: A Lifesaving Treatment for Cancer ... - February 14th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Are Covid-19 vaccines safe for cancer patients? Here is what cancer experts say - CNN - February 14th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army needs stem cell donor as mum begs for help to save three-year-old's life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army: mum opens up on heartbreaking decision to make 3-year-old sick to save his life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Bone marrow transplant shows signs of curing brave little boy with one in a million condition - Shields Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Canada's blood supply has a diversity problem and people are dying because of it - CBC.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- State-of-the-Art Treatments Garner University Foot and Ankle Institute Multiple Top Doctor Awards - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2021
- Dean Tracy Johnson seeks to diversify the pipeline of future scientists and doctors - UCLA Newsroom - February 2nd, 2021
- Transforming optimism: finding new ways to treat rare cancers - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - February 2nd, 2021
- Family of Belfast woman Eimear Gooderham (25) share memories and dealing with grief in special UTV programme - Belfast Telegraph - February 2nd, 2021
- Doctor: COVID-19 cases will continue to slowly go down, but were not out of the woods - Yahoo Money - January 23rd, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players In-depth Analysis Research Report Foresight to 2027 - KSU | The... - January 23rd, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Sisters who organised an Ilkley fundraising ball are to be honoured - Wharfedale Observer - January 22nd, 2021
- Medical Doctor: Roes Overlooking of the Consensus of Societal Morality and Science Reverberates to This Day - National Catholic Register - January 22nd, 2021
- DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) Becomes the First FDA-Approved Treatment for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - January 22nd, 2021
- Seattle researchers find clues for treatments that could eliminate HIV in infected patients - GeekWire - January 14th, 2021
- Flow Cytometry Market is Projected to Reach a Value of US$8100 Mn by the End of 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors diagnosed a Suffolk teen with a rare condition. Now, his mom is part of the solution - 13newsnow.com WVEC - January 12th, 2021
- Cassville club assists 2 families as they recover from illness - telegraphherald.com - January 12th, 2021
- The 26 billion-dollar startups to watch that are revolutionizing healthcare in 2021 - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market 2020 Overview By Size, Share, Trends, Growth Factors and Leading Players With Detailed Analysis of Industry Structure... - January 12th, 2021
- More than 250 articles and a book later, the Valley Doctor bids adieu - San Lorenzo Valley Press-Banner - January 12th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Treatment for Severe COVID-19 Using Stem Cells It's Like Smart Bomb Technology in the Lung - SciTechDaily - January 5th, 2021
- New combo therapy offered against refractory T-cell lymphoma - Korea Biomedical Review - January 5th, 2021
- Hair Growth Treatment Secrets Bollywood Will Never Tell You About - Times of India - January 5th, 2021
- Are metabolic hormones the next frontier in cancer treatment? - MedCity News - January 5th, 2021
- Limerick toddler to wait six months for trial cancer treatment after family raises over 400,000 - Extra.ie - January 5th, 2021
- West Lothian mum fighting for her life after back pain turned out to be terminal blood cancer - Edinburgh Live - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Yahoo Finance UK - January 5th, 2021
- A Wish Come True urges plungers to dump a bucket of ice water on themselves for this year's fundraiser - Fall River Herald News - December 26th, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- The 11 most mind-blowing, awe-inspiring health discoveries and innovations of 2020 - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- 3-year-old patient successfully treated for rare fatal disease- familial Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) at Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Startups are racing to reproduce breast milk in the lab - MIT Technology Review - December 22nd, 2020
- Hand weakness: Causes, symptoms, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Gujarat Issues Health Advisory On Fungal Infection With "50% Mortality Rate" - NDTV - December 22nd, 2020
- A side-by-side comparison of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines - STAT - December 22nd, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present Innovative Therapies to Better Treat Blood Cancers at American Society of Hematology Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 9th, 2020
- Medical technologies that will disrupt (and improve) healthcare in the 2020s - Universe.byu.edu - December 9th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Arya Lloyd: Father launches global search for blood stem cell donor to save his 12-year-old daughter - Sky News - November 20th, 2020
- Blood Cancer: Science Reveal Five Easily Missed Signs of Leukemia - Science Times - November 20th, 2020
- Karnataka:Community cord blood banking emerges as lifesaver - United News of India - November 18th, 2020
- How CAR-T Cell Therapy is Being Used in the Field of Blood Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - November 16th, 2020
- Election results for California Propositions 14, 18, 23, and 24 - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 16th, 2020
- Cell Separation Beads Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2028 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Fight for the rights of unborn - The Daily Telegram - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- Doctors Debate: Is Intensive or Low-Intensity Chemotherapy Plus BCR-ABL TKI Therapy Best for Treatment of Ph+ ALL? - Targeted Oncology - November 11th, 2020
- Record number of stem cell donors apply after Ex On The Beach star plea - expressandstar.com - November 11th, 2020