The mother of a cancer survivor has released a heartbreaking photograph to show the reality of the disease.
Sophia Soto, from Florida, was diagnosed with stage four neuroblastoma at just 14 months old after unusual bruises developed around her eyes.
READ MORE:Girl with neuroblastoma declared cancer-free after pioneering treatment
With doctors dismissing it as just a fall, an eye specialist eventually found tumours behind her eyes were to blame.
The toddler endured 60 rounds of chemo, 20 of radiotherapy and a stem cell transplant over six months. She was snapped just before having treatment.
Sophia, now six, has been in remission for five years and medication-free for the past 24 months.
Now six, Sophia has been off medication for the past two years. [Photo: Caters]
Speaking of her daughters condition, Sophias mother Rosie Soto, 40, said: The picture of Sophia upset really does hone in on the reality of childhood cancer.
She was having a lead put on her chest for her treatment, which she didn't want, hence why Sophia was so upset.
I look back at the picture now and wonder how I did it. It was so hard watching my little girl so ill.
Neuroblastoma is a rare type of cancer that mainly affects babies and young children,according to the NHS.
READ MORE:Childhood Cancer Survivors Are Twice as Likely to Have This Condition
Around 95 youngsters in the UK are diagnosed every year, making up 6% of all childhood-cancer cases,Children with Cancer UK statistics show.
In the US, around 800 are diagnosed annually, also accounting for 6% of all cases,according to the American Cancer Society.
Neuroblastoma develops in specialised nerve cells called neuroblasts, which get left behind during a babys development in the womb.
The disease tends to start in one of the adrenal glands above the kidneys or nerve tissue next to the spinal cord, before spreading.
Sophia's parents Javier and Rosie Soto watched her battle the disease. [Photo: Caters]
Mrs Soto became concerned when her daughter develop bruises around her eyes, with no obvious cause.
I kept taking her to the doctors because the bruising wasn't going away, but they just said it must have been from a bump or something, she said.
Sophia wasn't referred for a scan or biopsy until I went to an eye specialist, who knew straight away it was caused by a tumour.
She was sent for an MRI, where black spots appeared on the scans confirmed the tumours behind her eyes.
[A] biopsy found tumours on one of her kidneys as well, which led to her stage four neuroblastoma diagnosis.
Sophia discovered she had the disease in March 2014, aged just 14 months.
After extensive treatment, the youngster has been in remission since that November, but still has check-ups every six months.
The tumours behind her eyes cannot be removed, however, doctors believe they are now benign.
READ MORE: Mom beats breast cancer and then books 'dream' trip
Doctors are reluctant to remove the tumours Sophia has behind her eyes as they've said it would be likely the surgery [would] disfigure her face, Mrs Soto said.
Whilst they are tumours, doctors are reasonably confident they are not cancerous so we have decided to not have the surgery right now, but it may be something she has when she's older.
Over the worst, Sophia loves dancing and dreams of one day becoming a vet.
No one can imagine what she went through looking at her now, she just looks like a normal regular child, Mrs Soto said.
Sophia has her moments when she asks about when she was sick and has questions about her treatment scars, but overall she's a pretty happy girl.
If I was to say anything to other parents with children battling cancer, I'd say to not give up, stay positive.
It's really important not to compare your child's process to anyone else as everyone battles illnesses differently.
We're over the moon Sophia is now doing so well. We're really blessed she's such a fighter.
Read the original here:
Heartbreaking photograph shows the reality of childhood cancer - Yahoo Sports
- California Sours On Trump, Including Some Of His Base - Los Angeles, CA Patch - August 10th, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Treatment Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Application, Type, and Region. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 10th, 2020
- Re-Stem-Funded Study Targeting Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Aging and Age-Related Diseases Published in Science Advances Journal - Press Release -... - August 10th, 2020
- Embryos could be susceptible to COVID-19 from second week of pregnancy - Gulf News - August 9th, 2020
- Boy, 4, may look fighting fit but only has months to live - unless you can save him - Mirror Online - August 8th, 2020
- Post chemotherapy may leave patients vulnerable to infections - APN News - August 8th, 2020
- Post chemotherapy may leave patients vulnerable to infections - NewsPatrolling - August 8th, 2020
- Croydon mum's urgent appeal for stem cell donors who could save her two-year-old daughter - My London - August 5th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - Yahoo... - August 5th, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to countrys development process - Emirates 24|7 - August 4th, 2020
- Incyte/Morphosys take on CAR-Ts with $198,000 per year antibody - - pharmaphorum - August 3rd, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Telangana Today - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Treatment Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Application, Type, and Region. - Red & Black Student... - August 3rd, 2020
- stem cell doctor - regenexx.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Former SEC Head Coach, AD Hospitalized With COVID-19 - The Spun - August 1st, 2020
- Think You Might Have NMOSD? Diagnosis May Take a While - HealthCentral.com - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Systems Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbreak Remains a Threat to Growth in the Near Future... - July 31st, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Social News XYZ - July 30th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Achieves Our Goals and Makes Money in Stocks - Banyan Hill Publishing - July 30th, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Daijiworld.com - July 30th, 2020
- Shady Stem Cell Therapies Can Cause tumours, Infections ... - July 30th, 2020
- Digong forgot to mention the cure for Covid-19 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - July 29th, 2020
- Shady Stem Cell Therapies Can Cause Tumors, Infections, and Death, Doctors Report - Gizmodo - July 29th, 2020
- R3 Stem Cell International Now Offering Four Joint Injections for Only $3950 in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- UAE's first bone marrow transplant patient tells of life-saving treatment - The National - July 29th, 2020
- From cancer through Covid, how one mother retained hope - Buffalo News - July 29th, 2020
- Mum whose husband died of coronavirus shares heartbreaking video of one-year-old son saying Dada as his fir - The Irish Sun - July 27th, 2020
- Scientists discover why coronavirus patients lose sense of smell and offer hope to those who havent got it - The Scottish Sun - July 27th, 2020
- Fair Haven Foundation provides a refuge in the storm - WRTV Indianapolis - July 27th, 2020
- 'Healthy' mum diagnosed with cancer so aggressive it cracked several ribs - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- AIIMS Delhi Indias best medical college thats home to many leaders of Covid battle - ThePrint - July 26th, 2020
- Cancer struck Welsh mum so aggressively it cracked her ribs and damaged her spine - North Wales Live - July 25th, 2020
- 12 Incredible inventions to make you feel Proudly South African - The South African - July 25th, 2020
- Mum had tumour so big it cracked her ribs - Wales Online - July 25th, 2020
- Two people receive helping hand from Centre to get their advanced treatment in Delhi amid COVID-19 lockdown - Yahoo India News - July 24th, 2020
- First Edition: July 24, 2020 - Kaiser Health News - July 24th, 2020
- Shifting the focus in healthcare to primordial prevention - ETHealthworld.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'We are worried for what lies ahead' say Harrow parents in donor plea for son, 4 - My London - July 23rd, 2020
- A brief history of racism in healthcare - World Economic Forum - July 23rd, 2020
- Two Cases Of West Nile Virus Confirmed In Greece Greek City Times - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- Greek Scientists Concerned By The "orphan" Covid-19 Cases - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- Greek Sailors Trapped In The Middle Of The Ocean For Months Due To Coronavirus - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The Latest: At a Texas federal prison, more than 500 women test positive for virus - Press Herald - July 21st, 2020
- 3 Ways Predictive Analytics is Advancing the Healthcare Industry - HealthITAnalytics.com - July 21st, 2020
- Hypoxia Market 2020 How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in Recent Years? - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Short-staffed healthcare system to get 2,000 new nurses, 400 more doctors - The Times of Israel - July 20th, 2020
- Cancer-surviving singer gives back to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society | Artists of the Island - silive.com - July 19th, 2020
- Artificial Blood Market Excellent Growth 2024 | also understand the impact of COVID-19 situation across the globe - 3rd Watch News - July 18th, 2020
- Felipe Massa gives rare insight into Michael Schumachers condition and recovery - Mirror Online - July 18th, 2020
- The International Space Station creates bigger, colder states of matter than are possible on Earth - Massive Science - July 17th, 2020
- Out-of-Pocket Costs Often Higher Than Expected for Patients with Cancer Participating on Clinical Trials - Curetoday.com - July 17th, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market To Witness Massive Growth Worldwide | Global Players Abbott, Agilent Technologies Inc., Danaher, Bd, Bio-Rad... - July 17th, 2020
- Fear, Courage, Grit: Meet More Than 50 'Hospital Heroes' - WTOP - July 17th, 2020
- Why is this nebula shaped like a butterfly? - Massive Science - July 16th, 2020
- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Alcl Therapeutics Market is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 16th, 2020
- 'I don't have much time. I need a miracle' why stem cell donors are urgently needed - The Times - July 15th, 2020
- With rise in Covid cases, Surat to add 1,570 beds in 2 hospitals - The Indian Express - July 15th, 2020
- It's past time to treat international students as more than just money makers for universities - Massive Science - July 15th, 2020
- Scientists have made an important discovery for the treatment of male infertility - The Saxon - July 14th, 2020
- Tummy Ache Turns Out To Be Cancer, ER Visit During Pandemic Was Critical Decision - CBS Denver - July 14th, 2020
- One common infection could kill our baby girl but one simple act could change her life forever - The Sun - July 14th, 2020
- Top 10 Most Popular Stem Cell Treatments of 2020 - July 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: California to release 8,000 inmates; masks 'only way' to prevent another shutdown, Texas Gov. says - Times Record News - July 13th, 2020
- Actor Nick Cordero Has Died from COVID-19 Complications After 13 Weeks in the Hospital - Yahoo India News - July 12th, 2020
- Ryan Anthony: A local trumpet prodigy who went on to play big stages and raise funds for cancer research - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 11th, 2020
- The 'Teeter-Totter' of Blood Draws - Curetoday.com - July 11th, 2020
- In the middle of pandemic, this young mom fights second cancer diagnosis - Omaha World-Herald - July 11th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Crohns Disease, IBD and Ulcerative Colitis - PR Web - July 10th, 2020
- Eucalyptus necklace and other unproven Covid-19 cures raise alarm in Indonesia - The Star Online - July 10th, 2020
- Surat: Engineer falls to death from tenth floor of under construction Covid hospital - The Indian Express - July 10th, 2020
- Tribute to Andra Campbell after five-year cancer battle | Romsey Advertiser - Romsey Advertiser - July 10th, 2020
- IML conducts the 5th National Convention on Medicine and Law - ETHealthworld.com - July 10th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Crohns Disease, IBD and Ulcerative Colitis - Benzinga - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 9th, 2020
- Whatever happened to baby Owen? - The Herald-News - July 9th, 2020
- University of Miami Miller School-led technology paves way for islet regeneration in human pancreas - Newswise - July 9th, 2020
- Here's Why Mesoblast Stock Rose Over 18% Today - The Motley Fool - July 9th, 2020
- Eucalyptus necklace and other unproven Covid-19 cures raise alarm in Indonesia - The Straits Times - July 9th, 2020
- Global Organ Preservation Market Future Demand (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) & Growth Analysis with Forecast up to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 9th, 2020
- First time ever successful operation with a single-use endoscope on immunodepressed child - Emergency-Live - July 4th, 2020