A family have released the heartbreaking photograph of their toddler undergoing cancer treatment to highlight the reality of childhood cancer.
Sophia Soto, now six, from America, was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma an aggressive and rare cancer at just 14 months old after tumours were discovered behind her eyes and on her kidney.
The heartwrenching photograph is of Sophia having a lead put on her chest as part of her cancer treatment.
But luckily little Sophia has been in remission for five years and now looks like a completely different child compared to the one in the heart wrenching photograph.
The picture of Sophia upset really does home in on the reality of childhood cancer, her mum Rosie Soto, 40, said.
She was having a lead put on her chest for her treatment which she didnt want hence why Sophia was so upset.
I look back at the picture now and wonder how I did it; it was so hard watching my little girl so ill.
Rosie became concerned about Sophia after she began developing bruising around her eyes something she claims doctors repeatedly dismissed as being from a bump or fall.
It wasnt until Rosie took Sophia to see an eye specialist that she got some answers.
Sophia kept getting bruising on her eyes and I didnt recall her falling over or anything, so I didnt understand where they were come from, Rosie said.
I kept taking her to the doctors because the bruising wasnt going away, but they just said it must have been from a bump or something.
Sophia wasnt referred for a scan or biopsy until I went to see an eye specialist with her who knew straight away that it was caused by a tumour.
She was sent for an MRI where black spots appeared on the scans confirming the tumours behind her eyes.
It was then the biopsy which found the tumours on one of her kidneys as well which led to her stage 4 neuroblastoma diagnosis.
After being diagnosed in March 2014, the then 14-month-old endured 60 rounds of chemotherapy, 20 rounds of radiation and a stem cell transplant over a six months period.
Following her treatment, Sophia has been in remission since November 2014 and has been medication free for two years.
Sophia isnt yet classified as cancer free so has check ups every six months with specialists.
She still has tumours behind her eyes which cannot be removed due to the placement of them, but doctors believe the tumours are benign and therefore not causing her too much harm.
Doctors are reluctant to remove the tumours Sophia currently has behind her eyes as theyve said it would be likely the surgery to disfigure her face, Rosie said.
Whilst they are tumours, doctors are reasonably confident that they are not cancerous so we have decided to not have the surgery right now, but it may be something she has when shes older.
Sophia now looks happy and healthy. She loves to dance and hopes to become a vet one day.
No one can imagine what she went through looking at her now she just looks like a normal regular child, Rosie said.
Sophia has her moments when she asks about when she was sick and has questions about her treatment scars, but over all shes a pretty happy girl.
If I was to say anything to other parents with children battling cancer, Id say to them to not give up, stay positive and keep your faith.
Its really important not to compare your childs process to anyone else as everyone battles illnesses differently as every situation is different.
Were over the moon that Sophia is now doing so well were really blessed that shes such a fighter.
Read more from the original source:
Family releases photo sharing the reality of childhood cancer - NEWS.com.au
- Croydon mum's urgent appeal for stem cell donors who could save her two-year-old daughter - My London - August 5th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - Yahoo... - August 5th, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to countrys development process - Emirates 24|7 - August 4th, 2020
- Incyte/Morphosys take on CAR-Ts with $198,000 per year antibody - - pharmaphorum - August 3rd, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Telangana Today - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Treatment Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Application, Type, and Region. - Red & Black Student... - August 3rd, 2020
- stem cell doctor - regenexx.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Former SEC Head Coach, AD Hospitalized With COVID-19 - The Spun - August 1st, 2020
- Think You Might Have NMOSD? Diagnosis May Take a While - HealthCentral.com - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Systems Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbreak Remains a Threat to Growth in the Near Future... - July 31st, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Social News XYZ - July 30th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Achieves Our Goals and Makes Money in Stocks - Banyan Hill Publishing - July 30th, 2020
- Crowdfunding to the rescue for this cancer patient - Daijiworld.com - July 30th, 2020
- Shady Stem Cell Therapies Can Cause tumours, Infections ... - July 30th, 2020
- Digong forgot to mention the cure for Covid-19 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - July 29th, 2020
- Shady Stem Cell Therapies Can Cause Tumors, Infections, and Death, Doctors Report - Gizmodo - July 29th, 2020
- R3 Stem Cell International Now Offering Four Joint Injections for Only $3950 in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- UAE's first bone marrow transplant patient tells of life-saving treatment - The National - July 29th, 2020
- From cancer through Covid, how one mother retained hope - Buffalo News - July 29th, 2020
- Mum whose husband died of coronavirus shares heartbreaking video of one-year-old son saying Dada as his fir - The Irish Sun - July 27th, 2020
- Scientists discover why coronavirus patients lose sense of smell and offer hope to those who havent got it - The Scottish Sun - July 27th, 2020
- Fair Haven Foundation provides a refuge in the storm - WRTV Indianapolis - July 27th, 2020
- 'Healthy' mum diagnosed with cancer so aggressive it cracked several ribs - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- AIIMS Delhi Indias best medical college thats home to many leaders of Covid battle - ThePrint - July 26th, 2020
- Cancer struck Welsh mum so aggressively it cracked her ribs and damaged her spine - North Wales Live - July 25th, 2020
- 12 Incredible inventions to make you feel Proudly South African - The South African - July 25th, 2020
- Mum had tumour so big it cracked her ribs - Wales Online - July 25th, 2020
- Two people receive helping hand from Centre to get their advanced treatment in Delhi amid COVID-19 lockdown - Yahoo India News - July 24th, 2020
- First Edition: July 24, 2020 - Kaiser Health News - July 24th, 2020
- Shifting the focus in healthcare to primordial prevention - ETHealthworld.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'We are worried for what lies ahead' say Harrow parents in donor plea for son, 4 - My London - July 23rd, 2020
- A brief history of racism in healthcare - World Economic Forum - July 23rd, 2020
- Two Cases Of West Nile Virus Confirmed In Greece Greek City Times - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- Greek Scientists Concerned By The "orphan" Covid-19 Cases - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- Greek Sailors Trapped In The Middle Of The Ocean For Months Due To Coronavirus - GreekCityTimes.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The Latest: At a Texas federal prison, more than 500 women test positive for virus - Press Herald - July 21st, 2020
- 3 Ways Predictive Analytics is Advancing the Healthcare Industry - HealthITAnalytics.com - July 21st, 2020
- Hypoxia Market 2020 How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in Recent Years? - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Short-staffed healthcare system to get 2,000 new nurses, 400 more doctors - The Times of Israel - July 20th, 2020
- Cancer-surviving singer gives back to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society | Artists of the Island - silive.com - July 19th, 2020
- Artificial Blood Market Excellent Growth 2024 | also understand the impact of COVID-19 situation across the globe - 3rd Watch News - July 18th, 2020
- Felipe Massa gives rare insight into Michael Schumachers condition and recovery - Mirror Online - July 18th, 2020
- The International Space Station creates bigger, colder states of matter than are possible on Earth - Massive Science - July 17th, 2020
- Out-of-Pocket Costs Often Higher Than Expected for Patients with Cancer Participating on Clinical Trials - Curetoday.com - July 17th, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market To Witness Massive Growth Worldwide | Global Players Abbott, Agilent Technologies Inc., Danaher, Bd, Bio-Rad... - July 17th, 2020
- Fear, Courage, Grit: Meet More Than 50 'Hospital Heroes' - WTOP - July 17th, 2020
- Why is this nebula shaped like a butterfly? - Massive Science - July 16th, 2020
- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Alcl Therapeutics Market is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 16th, 2020
- 'I don't have much time. I need a miracle' why stem cell donors are urgently needed - The Times - July 15th, 2020
- With rise in Covid cases, Surat to add 1,570 beds in 2 hospitals - The Indian Express - July 15th, 2020
- It's past time to treat international students as more than just money makers for universities - Massive Science - July 15th, 2020
- Scientists have made an important discovery for the treatment of male infertility - The Saxon - July 14th, 2020
- Tummy Ache Turns Out To Be Cancer, ER Visit During Pandemic Was Critical Decision - CBS Denver - July 14th, 2020
- One common infection could kill our baby girl but one simple act could change her life forever - The Sun - July 14th, 2020
- Top 10 Most Popular Stem Cell Treatments of 2020 - July 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: California to release 8,000 inmates; masks 'only way' to prevent another shutdown, Texas Gov. says - Times Record News - July 13th, 2020
- Actor Nick Cordero Has Died from COVID-19 Complications After 13 Weeks in the Hospital - Yahoo India News - July 12th, 2020
- Ryan Anthony: A local trumpet prodigy who went on to play big stages and raise funds for cancer research - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 11th, 2020
- The 'Teeter-Totter' of Blood Draws - Curetoday.com - July 11th, 2020
- In the middle of pandemic, this young mom fights second cancer diagnosis - Omaha World-Herald - July 11th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Crohns Disease, IBD and Ulcerative Colitis - PR Web - July 10th, 2020
- Eucalyptus necklace and other unproven Covid-19 cures raise alarm in Indonesia - The Star Online - July 10th, 2020
- Surat: Engineer falls to death from tenth floor of under construction Covid hospital - The Indian Express - July 10th, 2020
- Tribute to Andra Campbell after five-year cancer battle | Romsey Advertiser - Romsey Advertiser - July 10th, 2020
- IML conducts the 5th National Convention on Medicine and Law - ETHealthworld.com - July 10th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Crohns Disease, IBD and Ulcerative Colitis - Benzinga - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 9th, 2020
- Whatever happened to baby Owen? - The Herald-News - July 9th, 2020
- University of Miami Miller School-led technology paves way for islet regeneration in human pancreas - Newswise - July 9th, 2020
- Here's Why Mesoblast Stock Rose Over 18% Today - The Motley Fool - July 9th, 2020
- Eucalyptus necklace and other unproven Covid-19 cures raise alarm in Indonesia - The Straits Times - July 9th, 2020
- Global Organ Preservation Market Future Demand (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) & Growth Analysis with Forecast up to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 9th, 2020
- First time ever successful operation with a single-use endoscope on immunodepressed child - Emergency-Live - July 4th, 2020
- College Kids Are Apparently Playing a Game Where They Try to Catch COVID - Futurism - July 3rd, 2020
- A Shot of This Gene Editing Serum Appears to Prevent Heart Disease in Monkeys - Futurism - July 3rd, 2020
- Katharine McPhee reveals frustrations with husband David Foster in new documentary - Wonderwall - July 3rd, 2020
- Jada Pinkett Smith denies August Alsina's claim they had years-long relationship with Will Smith's blessing - Wonderwall - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Treatment Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbreak Remains a Threat to Growth in the... - July 3rd, 2020
- Its not just the lungs: COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - July 2nd, 2020
- Inequality in COVID-19 Has Other Dangerous Consequences - Fox and Hounds Daily - July 2nd, 2020