Oct. 10, 2019 10:03 UTC
BOCAhealth with its body fluids manager receives the Pharma Trend 2019 Most Innovative Product award in the startups category. Runner-up is Surge-on Medical with its freedimensional surgical instruments. The third places goes to AiCuris Letermovir, a drug for the prophylactic anti-cytomegalovirus therapy for those who have undergone bone marrow transplantation.
MUNICH--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- An interdisciplinary jury of ten evaluated the applications by medical startups in the categories biotechnology, medical technology and digital health. The products and projects ranked among the top 3 received the Most Innovative Product Award. The discipline-specific awards were presented during the Pharma Trend Image & Innovation Awards, which took place on September 17, 2019, at the German Museum in Munich, this year marking the 20th award ceremony.
The jury assessed the submitted product and project applications based on criteria such as the benefit for the patients, the innovative content, efficiency in application and the transition to standard care. In 2019, the following companies received the Most Innovative Product award:
Digital health: BOCAhealth, the body fluids manager of the future
Body fluids disorders (dehydration or its opposite, chronic fluid retention) are a common and risky issue in many clinical situations, especially in heart failure, chronic kidney disease and elderly patients. It is estimated that every other patient is released from hospital with a hydration problem, and their 1-year mortality is up to 30%. Inside the hospital ward, the patients hydration status is checked through the inaccurate fluid balance (inflow of infusions outflow of urine). At home the patients use weight scales that do not allow an accurate assessment of body water changes either. So far, there is no accurate, easy to use, digital and versatile solution for both hospital and home monitoring.
BOCAhealth is a portable bioimpedance device connected with a smartphone application that easily measures the patients hydration and nutrition status and estimates their cardiac output and systemic vascular resistance. The BOCAhealth software provides doctors with a real-time risk prediction score based on artificial intelligence to guide the infusion and medical therapy.
BOCAhealth is the first body fluid composition analyzer that combines portability, accuracy and a risk predictor score based on artificial intelligence. These benefits convinced the jury to grant BOCAhealth the award for the Most Innovative Product. The award was accepted by the CEO and founder Dr. Allesandro Faragli.
Medical technology: Surge-on Medical, Freedimensional surgical instruments to empower surgeons
Founded in 2015 in the Netherlands, Surge-on Medical has developed the next generation of minimally invasive surgical instruments. Through cable-free technologies, they have created freedimensional instruments that provide better access to surgical areas and replace current pre-bent instrumentation, while complying with current and future FDA and European regulation. Surge-on Medical has been granted four international patents which make minimally invasive instruments steerable, detachable and cleanable. The company is currently active in arthroscopy, laparoscopy and robotic surgery, but it is also preparing to expand to additional surgical fields to keep empowering surgeons. It aims to become the worldwide leader in the development of minimally invasive instruments.
The Most Innovative Product award for the second place was accepted by Dr. Tim Horeman, CTO of Surge-on Medical.
Biotechnology: Letermovir (Prevymis) by AiCuris
AiCuris has developed a new agent against the human cytomegalovirus (HCMV), which occurs around the world. More than half of the global population are chronically infected with the virus, but only patients with a weakened or lacking immune system are at risk of serious illness or even death. The new agent Letermovir inhibits an enzyme within the virus and thus prevents its spread without damaging the host cell. This allows very good tolerability, which for the first time enables prophylactic life-saving therapy.
Letermovir was initially developed, and has already been successfully applied, for HCMV prophylaxis in patients who have undergone stem cell and bone marrow transplantation. Following a successful phase 3, Letermovir was approved in the USA, Canada, Japan and other countries as part of a process of introducing the drug to the global market. In the future, Letermovir will also benefit organ transplant recipients, AIDS patients and new-borns. The drug has been available from German pharmacies since 2018 under the brand MSD brand name Prevymis. It was very well received by the medical community and significantly exceeds revenue expectations in the first months of sales.
AiCuris was founded in 2006 as a spin-off from what was then Bayer research division on infectious diseases. Since then, the company has been researching and developing new drugs to treat virological and bacteriological conditions. In 2012, AiCuris was able to conclude a much-noticed license agreement with MSD concerning HCMV drugs.
Dr. Holger Zimmermann, CEO of AICuris, accepted the third-place award The Most Innovative Product on behalf of his company.
A successful jubilee ceremony
The patron to the jubilee awards ceremony was the Bavarian Permanent Secretary for Health, Melanie Huml. Around 140 invited decision-makers from the pharmaceuticals industry and health care communications agencies attended the event. Keynote speakers were Dr. Peter-Andreas Lschmann, board member of Bio Deutschland (the German biotechnology industry association), and Dr. Thomas Rodenhausen, board member of Harris Interactive AG. The host for the night was Tamara Sedmak, who regularly presents on TV channels including Sat 1, n-tv and N24.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191010005379/en/
- Stem Cell Therapy Los Angeles - Darrow Stem Cell Institute - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplants: A Lifesaving Treatment for Cancer ... - February 14th, 2021
- Smart Stem Cells Made From Fat Have the Power to Heal - Freethink - February 14th, 2021
- Are Covid-19 vaccines safe for cancer patients? Here is what cancer experts say - CNN - February 14th, 2021
- The race to treat a rare, fatal syndrome may help others with common disorders like diabetes - Science Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army needs stem cell donor as mum begs for help to save three-year-old's life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Arlo's Army: mum opens up on heartbreaking decision to make 3-year-old sick to save his life - Glasgow Live - February 14th, 2021
- Bone marrow transplant shows signs of curing brave little boy with one in a million condition - Shields Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Canada's blood supply has a diversity problem and people are dying because of it - CBC.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- State-of-the-Art Treatments Garner University Foot and Ankle Institute Multiple Top Doctor Awards - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2021
- Dean Tracy Johnson seeks to diversify the pipeline of future scientists and doctors - UCLA Newsroom - February 2nd, 2021
- Transforming optimism: finding new ways to treat rare cancers - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - February 2nd, 2021
- Family of Belfast woman Eimear Gooderham (25) share memories and dealing with grief in special UTV programme - Belfast Telegraph - February 2nd, 2021
- Doctor: COVID-19 cases will continue to slowly go down, but were not out of the woods - Yahoo Money - January 23rd, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players In-depth Analysis Research Report Foresight to 2027 - KSU | The... - January 23rd, 2021
- Leading Urologist Doubles Down on CaverStem Regenerative Stem Cell Procedure for Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction in Men - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Sisters who organised an Ilkley fundraising ball are to be honoured - Wharfedale Observer - January 22nd, 2021
- Medical Doctor: Roes Overlooking of the Consensus of Societal Morality and Science Reverberates to This Day - National Catholic Register - January 22nd, 2021
- DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj) Becomes the First FDA-Approved Treatment for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Light Chain (AL)... - January 22nd, 2021
- Seattle researchers find clues for treatments that could eliminate HIV in infected patients - GeekWire - January 14th, 2021
- Flow Cytometry Market is Projected to Reach a Value of US$8100 Mn by the End of 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- Doctors diagnosed a Suffolk teen with a rare condition. Now, his mom is part of the solution - 13newsnow.com WVEC - January 12th, 2021
- Cassville club assists 2 families as they recover from illness - telegraphherald.com - January 12th, 2021
- The 26 billion-dollar startups to watch that are revolutionizing healthcare in 2021 - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- Global Precision Medicine Market 2020 Overview By Size, Share, Trends, Growth Factors and Leading Players With Detailed Analysis of Industry Structure... - January 12th, 2021
- More than 250 articles and a book later, the Valley Doctor bids adieu - San Lorenzo Valley Press-Banner - January 12th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Treatment for Severe COVID-19 Using Stem Cells It's Like Smart Bomb Technology in the Lung - SciTechDaily - January 5th, 2021
- New combo therapy offered against refractory T-cell lymphoma - Korea Biomedical Review - January 5th, 2021
- Hair Growth Treatment Secrets Bollywood Will Never Tell You About - Times of India - January 5th, 2021
- Are metabolic hormones the next frontier in cancer treatment? - MedCity News - January 5th, 2021
- Limerick toddler to wait six months for trial cancer treatment after family raises over 400,000 - Extra.ie - January 5th, 2021
- West Lothian mum fighting for her life after back pain turned out to be terminal blood cancer - Edinburgh Live - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Yahoo Finance UK - January 5th, 2021
- A Wish Come True urges plungers to dump a bucket of ice water on themselves for this year's fundraiser - Fall River Herald News - December 26th, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- The 11 most mind-blowing, awe-inspiring health discoveries and innovations of 2020 - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- 3-year-old patient successfully treated for rare fatal disease- familial Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) at Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Startups are racing to reproduce breast milk in the lab - MIT Technology Review - December 22nd, 2020
- Hand weakness: Causes, symptoms, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Gujarat Issues Health Advisory On Fungal Infection With "50% Mortality Rate" - NDTV - December 22nd, 2020
- A side-by-side comparison of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines - STAT - December 22nd, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present Innovative Therapies to Better Treat Blood Cancers at American Society of Hematology Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 9th, 2020
- Medical technologies that will disrupt (and improve) healthcare in the 2020s - Universe.byu.edu - December 9th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Arya Lloyd: Father launches global search for blood stem cell donor to save his 12-year-old daughter - Sky News - November 20th, 2020
- Blood Cancer: Science Reveal Five Easily Missed Signs of Leukemia - Science Times - November 20th, 2020
- Karnataka:Community cord blood banking emerges as lifesaver - United News of India - November 18th, 2020
- How CAR-T Cell Therapy is Being Used in the Field of Blood Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - November 16th, 2020
- Election results for California Propositions 14, 18, 23, and 24 - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 16th, 2020
- Cell Separation Beads Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2028 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Fight for the rights of unborn - The Daily Telegram - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- Doctors Debate: Is Intensive or Low-Intensity Chemotherapy Plus BCR-ABL TKI Therapy Best for Treatment of Ph+ ALL? - Targeted Oncology - November 11th, 2020
- Record number of stem cell donors apply after Ex On The Beach star plea - expressandstar.com - November 11th, 2020
- Bisbee: A commitment to health care initiatives The Journal Record - Journal Record - November 11th, 2020
- California election results: Where state propositions stand as of Thursday at 5 p.m. - Desert Sun - November 11th, 2020
- Critically ill Indonesian woman thanks Taiwan for saving life - Taiwan News - November 7th, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present New Research on Bone Marrow Transplants, Immunotherapy and Other Blood Cancer Treatments - Business Wire - November 7th, 2020
- Daily Edition for Wednesday, November 4, 2020 - California Healthline - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're truly blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his recent fight to save his brother, Eric - ESPN - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're really blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his current battle to save lots of his brother, Eric - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 7th, 2020
- Mark Drought: Are we on the brink of another civil war? - The Advocate - November 7th, 2020
- What to eat when you have the flu, recommended by doctors - Business Insider India - October 30th, 2020
- Fine-Tuning Treatments for COVID-19 - American Council on Science and Health - October 30th, 2020
- Aborted girl fetus kidneys made Trumps CoV meds. As SARS2 is unfettered in America, this needs thought - Feminine-Perspective Magazine (FPMag) - October 30th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Provisional Ballots May Play Role - Bloomberg Government - October 30th, 2020
- Unless the country invests in cancer care, the statistics for breast cancer will be bleak: Dr Anthony Pais, .. - ETHealthworld.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Autologous Fat Grafting Market Scope Analysis 2019 to 2029 - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- How Clinique La Prairie Is Keeping Humanity Fashionably Healthy In The Age Of Covid - Forbes - October 23rd, 2020
- The Anthony Nolan and NHS Stem Cell Registry - The Hippocratic Post - October 21st, 2020
- Jeff Bridges is one of the 85,000-plus lymphoma cases expected in the U.S. this year - MarketWatch - October 21st, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Saving an unborn baby breaking apart in the womb - WQAD.com - October 21st, 2020
- Orgenesis completes acquisition of Koligo Therapeutics and announces additional acquisition of Icellator(R) Technology from Tissue Genesis in related... - October 21st, 2020
- SA becomes 2nd country to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to donate bone marrow - News24 - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2025 KYT24 - KYT24 - October 21st, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani shares his insights about the evolution of plastic surgery - LA Progressive - October 21st, 2020
- Manya Saaraswat Makes Top 5 Finish in 2020 Miss World America Competition, Three Other Indian Americans in Top 10 - India West - October 21st, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - LubbockOnline.com - October 15th, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani Discusses the Future of Plastic Surgery - The Jerusalem Post - October 15th, 2020
- The story of how a biotech co. came to the aid of an ill 9-year-old boy - Stockhouse - October 15th, 2020