SAN FRANCISCO, California, September 20, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) Pro-life undercover journalists David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt are hopeful that sworn testimony over the past weeks in San Franciscos Superior Court demonstrates that those who trafficked aborted-baby body parts are guilty of crimes, not the whistleblowers who exposed it.
We think the charges should be thrown out, Daleiden told LifeSiteNews.
The really shocking and troubling and clarifying truth that was exposed in the courtroom for the past two weeks here is that its very, very clear that the only crimes that were committed in the course of the undercover videotaping that Center for Medical Progress did were the crimes committed by the Planned Parenthood abortion doctors, and by the StemExpress body parts harvesters who were forced to testify under oath these past two weeks, he said.
The criminal preliminary hearing for Daleiden and Merritt ended Wednesday after stretching into three weeks. Judge Christopher Hites ruling on whether the case will proceed to trial is expected within a month.
Daleiden, project lead for the Center for Medical Progress (CMP), and Merritt, an undercover reporter with CMP, are charged with 14 felony counts of recording confidential conversations without consent in connection with CMPs undercover videos released in 2015 exposing Planned Parenthood trafficking in baby body parts. They face up to 10 years in jail if convicted.
The groundbreaking undercover videos showed Planned Parenthood executives and workers haggling over the prices of baby body parts, picking through bloodied arms and legs of aborted babies in a pie tray, and discussing how to alter abortion methods to obtain better body parts for sale.
Public outrage over the videos prompted congressional hearings and calls for the federal defunding of Planned Parenthood.
The preliminary hearing ran nine-and-a-half days between September 3 to 18, and Judge Hite will decide based on evidence if there is probable cause to continue to trial.
Daleiden and Merritt are claiming a Section 633.5 defense that allows covert recording of confidential communications when done to collect evidence of violent crimes.
Defense is also arguing that the law does not consider confidential any conversation that can reasonably be expected to be overheard.
The hearing saw high-level Planned Parenthood abortionists along with the CEO of baby parts harvesting company StemExpress dodging questions on their gruesome business under cross-examination by pro-life defense lawyers.
It was the venue for Daleidens first-ever public testimony about why he embarked on a 30-month undercover sting operation into Planned Parenthood trafficking in aborted baby parts and how he penetrated the networks of those involved in the grisly and illegal business.
It included a cross-examination of investigating agent for the Department of Justice Brian Cardwell that showed he did next to nothing to find out if those accusing Daleiden and Merritt of illegally taping them were telling the truth or understood confidentiality as defined in the law.
It featured defense testimony by one of the United States longest-practicing abortionists Dr. Forrest Smith. He testified that it is almost certain that some of the abortionists featured in the undercover videos deliberately altered abortion procedures in a way that both led to the birth of living babies with beating hearts and put women at risk. The goal in such abortions would be to obtain fresher, more intact organs.
In one dramatic moment,the attorney general unsuccessfully seeking a gag order on defense attorneys that cited a LifeSite news article after the CEO of StemExpress filed a complaint with Cardwell following her testimony that she feared for her security. In another, the defense accused the attorney general of trying to intimidate their star witness Dr. Theresa Deisher by suggesting she might be a target of criminal prosecution forallegedly being a co-conspirator in Daleiden'a undercover operation, which Deisher in subsequent testimony said she knew nothing about.
The hearing ended Wednesday with the riveting testimony of stem cell expert Dr. Deisher that human hearts used in research must be harvested from living babies. Daleiden testified earlier in the hearing he discovered a Stanford study using human fetal hearts supplied by StemExpress.
The expert testimony from brilliant scientists like Dr. Deisher just goes to show why the whole reason why I and my colleagues like Sandra Merritt and others did our undercover work with the Center for Medical Progress, Daleiden told LifeSiteNews.
Because theres very compelling evidence that the most valuable organs and tissues from aborted children are harvested from aborted children while theyre still alive. Those kids are actually killed through vivisection and that is a human atrocity that has to be exposed.
The defense also tried to have the search warrant that led to the criminal prosecution quashed, arguing that seizing Daleidens unpublished source material was unconstitutional and the prosecution politically motivated. Judge Hite denied the motion.
The political nature of the case is no secret, and testimony and evidence presented at the preliminary hearing exposed this completely bogus, sham, politically motivated case for the farce that it is, Daleiden told LifeSite.
Documents from the case now on public record show former Attorney General Kamala Harris had an in-person meeting at the attorney generals meeting in Los Angeles with no less than six top-level Planned Parenthood of California executives, he said. Daleiden added that the meeting took place a couple of weeks before Harris ordered Department of Justice agents to raid his Orange County apartment in April 2016 and seize all his recording materials, including unpublished source documents of his undercover investigation.
We have the minutes in an email from the meeting that Kamala had with the Planned Parenthood leadership, and in that meeting they discussed both Planned Parenthoods political agenda in the state of California, and they also discussed the attorney generals investigation of me and of CMP, Daleiden said.
There were two Planned Parenthood witnesses in Harriss investigation into CMP present for both discussions, he said.
So there was no separation whatsoever between what Kamala Harris was doing as a politician for her backers at Planned Parenthood, and what she was doing as the top law enforcement officer in the state of California, he told LifeSiteNews.
She was prostituting her law enforcement powers to the service of her political backers at Planned Parenthood, and thats very corrupt, and very bad, and very wrong, and that should never happen to any person in the United States of America, Daleiden said.
Its a gross violation of my civil rights and of the civil rights of all people in California.
The two witnesses were Dr. Jennifer Russo, medical director of Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino counties, and Anna Sandoval, communications director for PP affiliates of California.
Russo was the one who was in charge of supplying body parts to the criminal Da Vinci companieswho have since been shut down, he said.
So you can imagine the sort of interest that Dr. Russo and Planned Parenthood of Orange county had at that time to try and create an alternative fake prosecution against me and against CMP.
Daleiden is now preparing for the month-and-a-half trial in the Planned Parenthood civil suit against him, CMP, and CMP undercover reporters that begins October 2.
We will be facing down against, I think 10 or 11 different Planned Parenthood affiliates in San Francisco federal court in Judge [William] Orricks courtroom, he said.
Judge Orrick was the founder and funder of a Planned Parenthood Northern California clinic here in San Francisco, which is also one of the plaintiffs in this case, Daleiden said.
Another plaintiff in the lawsuit is Planned Parenthood Orange County who had been selling late-term baby body parts to the Da Vinci companies for years and years and years, he told LifeSiteNews.
As a direct result of the evidence collected in the CMP undercover investigation, the Da Vinci companies were shut down by the Orange County district attorney and liquidated in a $7.8 million settlement in which they admitted guilt for selling baby body parts against the law, Daleiden said.
A number of Planned Parenthood abortionists who testified at the criminal preliminary hearing will be doing so in the civil case, he said.
If the past two weeks here at the prelim are any indication, the Planned Parenthood witnesses are not ready for primetime, Daleiden told LifeSiteNews.
Theyre not credible, theyre not honest, theyre not ethical, and the things that theyve been doing are not legal, call them anything you want, and theyre not pretty.
He believes that Planned Parenthood will ultimately face justice.
I dont think that the Da Vinci companies are going to be the last company like that, who are going to face justice under the law in that way, Daleiden said, adding that there were many criminal referrals sent out from the congressional investigations of Planned Parenthood.
So were still waiting to get an update from the Department of Justice and the FBI about where that stands with Planned Parenthood, he said.
The Senate Judiciary committee requested an update over the summer from them, so were waiting to find out from the Senate Judiciary Committee if they got that update and what it said, added Daleiden.
I think we should all stay tuned.
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - Yahoo Finance - May 30th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - KDAL News - May 30th, 2020
- COTA, Inc. Announces Participation in the 2020 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Virtual Scientific Program and DIA 2020 Virtual Global... - May 30th, 2020
- Scots mum, 28, who lost newborn baby tragically dies from lung inflammation weeks after cancer all clear - The Scottish Sun - May 30th, 2020
- "COVID-19: Treatment or vaccines? What seems more likely, and what could be more beneficial?" - Kalkine Media - May 30th, 2020
- Intravenous infusion of human umbilical cord Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for patients with COVID-19... - May 29th, 2020
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - PRNewswire - May 29th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - Physician's Weekly - May 28th, 2020
- VICTORY BELL: GMC's Coach Williams reaches remission | News - The Union-Recorder - May 28th, 2020
- DKMS-BMST Foundation India completes one year of operation in India - Express Healthcare - May 28th, 2020
- Studying the development of ovarian cancer with organoids - Science Codex - May 28th, 2020
- World Blood Cancer Day 2020: Bring down your risk of this condition with easy diet tips - TheHealthSite - May 28th, 2020
- Kyle Larson's First Payday After His NASCAR Suspension is Smaller Than You Might Think - Sportscasting - May 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Prevention Prescription - The New Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We must follow the rules to keep out coronavirus - Gulf News - May 26th, 2020
- Japanese newborn to receive the worlds first liver stem cell - News Landed - May 23rd, 2020
- First American to Receive Placental Cell Treatment For COVID-19 is an Acclaimed Broadway Scenic Designer - Science Times - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- In the race to find a Covid-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - The National - May 22nd, 2020
- Indian tennis: For injury-plagued Yuki Bhambri, the lockdown is both a chance and another challenge - Scroll.in - May 22nd, 2020
- Who Believe? Chad Coulter's spirit lives on through his son on and off the field - Dave Campbell's Texas Football - May 19th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals doctors gave him translucent blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cel - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Doctor, Heal Thyself: Physician Burnout In The Wake Of Covid-19 - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Outbreak on edge of Navajo Nation overwhelms rural hospital - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 19th, 2020
- More than 290000 Covid-19 cases in Mena - MEED - May 19th, 2020
- Beware This COVID-19 Vaccine 'Study' From an 80s Teen Tech Titan and a Carnivorous Plant Smuggler - The Daily Beast - May 19th, 2020
- Higher risk of infection, changes to treatment makes COVID-19 a double threat for cancer patients - theday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Nancy Davidson describes plans for reopening the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance as COVID-19 wave recedes - The Cancer Letter - May 16th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 16th, 2020
- The first breakthrough coronavirus antibody drug might finally be here - BGR - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus: The trials and triumphs of UAE residents - Gulf News - May 16th, 2020
- Daughter of former journalist who died of colon cancer battling cancer of the bones - Nairobi News - May 16th, 2020
- Cancer treatment inspires new dad to raise 18k for NNUH with mass head shave - Eastern Daily Press - May 16th, 2020
- Doubts cast on claims that '19m Brits have had coronavirus' - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 16th, 2020
- UAE's first Covid-19 patient to recover after stem-cell therapy tells of medical journey - The National - May 12th, 2020
- Doctors Say Inflammation Might be the Root of COVID-19 Along with Other Diseases Such as Cancer and Dementia - Tech Times - May 12th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 12th, 2020
- Growing Number of Patients Suffering From Neurological Disorder to Support the Growth of Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market, TMR - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- Q&A: 'Survivor' champ Ethan Zohn's deep Colorado connection, who he was shocked to see on the beach and his epic episode - Colorado Springs Gazette - May 12th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Excessive haste in approving COVID-19 drugs is a no-no : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - May 12th, 2020
- Tens of thousands of cancer patients STILL havent received NHS coronavirus shielding letters - The Sun - May 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Latest updates on COVID-19 crisis around the world - Outlook India - May 10th, 2020
- Needs way to measure pain besides the scale of 1-10 - Coastal Courier - May 1st, 2020
- Brave intensive care nurse, 27, diagnosed with rare cancer just weeks after dream wedding dies of disease - The Sun - May 1st, 2020
- RIP Rishi Kapoor! Succumbing to Leukemia, Veteran Actor Dies at 67 in Mumbai, Here is all You Need to Know Ab - India.com - May 1st, 2020
- The teenager who survived cancer, sepsis and a collapsed lung - Wales Online - May 1st, 2020
- Shares of Mesoblast Tumbled Over 20% Today After Doubling Last Week - The Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- THE BENEFITS OF TADALAFIL FOR ENLARGED PROSTATE AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION - RecentlyHeard.com - April 29th, 2020
- Cancer treatment made me infertile at 29heres how Im planning to have a family now - Well+Good - April 27th, 2020
- Incarceration Is Killing Us - Truthout - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus Doctors experiment with stem cell therapy on COVID-19 patients CBS News 9:39 AM - KTVQ Billings News - April 26th, 2020
- Call for 'sofa life-savers' as stem cell register takes a hit - Hereford Times - April 26th, 2020
- How effective is PLX cell therapy in treating coronavirus? Experts answer all queries and more - India TV News - April 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: Is It Allergies or COVID-19? - HealthDay Live - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 24th, 2020
- HealthDay Reports: More Good News on Remdesivir's Power to Treat COVID-19 - HealthDay Coronavirus Liveblog - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Stem cell therapy more effective on Covid-19' - Korea Biomedical Review - April 21st, 2020
- Planned Clinical Trial of Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Remestemcel-L in Patients with COVID-19 - Cancer Network - April 21st, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - KSBW The Central Coast - April 20th, 2020
- What are the underlying conditions causing more serious illness from coronavirus? - WPBF West Palm Beach - April 18th, 2020
- Devoted coach, father and husband remembered for 'bringing out the best' in people throughout life - Elk Grove Citizen - April 18th, 2020
- Helping the helpers - The Jewish Standard - April 18th, 2020
- List of coronavirus treatments now being tested in clinical trials - Business Insider UK - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness an Uptick during 2017 to 2025 - Science In Me - April 13th, 2020
- A Quarantine Trendsetter - Long Island Weekly News - April 13th, 2020
- What We Know About Masks and the New Coronavirus - The New Yorker - April 13th, 2020
- TISSUE REGENERATION TECHNOLOGIES Announces That Its First Coronavirus Clinical Trial Has Been Initiated Utilizing Unfocused Shockwave Therapy... - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: The truth about the F1 champ's recovery after a devastating head injury in 2013 - EconoTimes - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher health: Timeline of F1 champion's recovery bid - Express.co.uk - April 13th, 2020
- Column: Scientific advancements in the time of COVID-19 and what they offer us - The Daily Tar Heel - April 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Tips for Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Curetoday.com - April 8th, 2020
- Medical 'Wonder Women' making a difference in the region's fight on coronavirus - The Arab Weekly - April 8th, 2020
- Ive had Seder in isolation, and this is my message of hope - The Jerusalem Post - April 8th, 2020
- Did a Cult Hair-Care Line Cause Thousands of Women to Lose Their Hair? - The New York Times - April 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus can cause loss of smell and scientists think they know why - ZME Science - April 8th, 2020
- Former England footballer Geoff Thomas backs Mirror campaign to give NHS heroes a medal - Mirror Online - April 8th, 2020
- Roma woman tells of her 'life-changing' MS treatment - Whitsunday Times - April 8th, 2020
- Working Together Working Together: Indianapolis couple offers Airbnb to healthcare workers Nicole Griffin 1:41 PM - WRTV Indianapolis - March 30th, 2020
- Smith trying to turn the corner on cancer battle - Johnson City Press (subscription) - March 30th, 2020
- Adam Castillejo 'feared dying of cancer more than Aids and considered ending it all at Dignitas' Daily Mail - westofthepond.com - March 30th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapy startup ElevateBio raises $170 million - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020