Nicole Duhaney couldnt believe her luck when she learned she was having identical twins.
I felt like had won the lottery, Duhaney, 21, told TODAY Parents. "It was the happiest surprise."
After being pregnant for what felt like an eternity, Duhaney and her boyfriend, Niles Liburd, finally welcomed sons Emre pronounced Em-ree" and Elijah on Dec. 23, 2018.
Our life seemed perfect, the mom from Huddersfield, England, said.
But just three weeks later, Elijah developed a lump on his cheek, and both babies developed colds they couldnt seem to kick. Suddenly, they were projectile vomiting.
Trending stories,celebrity news and all the best of TODAY.
At just 4 months old, Emre and Elijah were both diagnosed with childhood acute myeloid leukemia. The disease, also known as AML, is a type of cancer in which the bone marrow makes a large number of abnormal white blood cells, according to the National Cancer Institute.
Myeloid leukemia is the second most common pediatric blood cancer, but it's still relatively rare. In the United States there are roughly 500 children a year between the ages of 0 and 14 that are diagnosed with AML, according to Dr. Richard Aplenc, a physician-scientist within the Division of Oncology at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Aplenc said it is not surprising that Emre and Elijah were diagnosed at the same time.
"If the twins are identical, then they share the same placenta and the same blood supply, so that leukemic cell goes to the other twin," Aplenc explained. "We know that if leukemia is diagnosed before a year or so, there is 100 percent chance that the other twin will develop it."
Tragically, 10-month-old Elijah passed away at home in Tuesday. Doctors allowed Emre, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy, to leave the hospital so he could say goodbye to his brother.
The love they had for each other was just unbreakable, Duhaney noted. "They didn't like to be separated."
She recalled how Elijah pulled his brother in for a kiss after a recent stem cell transplant.
Elijah was beautiful. Every person he met, he touched their heart," Duhaney said. There were times when I cried and he rubbed my tears away. I wish God took me instead of him.
As Duhaney and Liburd, 26, make funeral arrangements a GoFundMe has been set up to help the couple with expenses they are finding comfort in knowing Elijah took his final breaths at home.
He spent six months of his life in a hospital, Duhaney told TODAY Parents. His final night he was where he wanted to be, with the people who loved him him the most.
- First time ever successful operation with a single-use endoscope on immunodepressed child - Emergency-Live - July 4th, 2020
- College Kids Are Apparently Playing a Game Where They Try to Catch COVID - Futurism - July 3rd, 2020
- A Shot of This Gene Editing Serum Appears to Prevent Heart Disease in Monkeys - Futurism - July 3rd, 2020
- Katharine McPhee reveals frustrations with husband David Foster in new documentary - Wonderwall - July 3rd, 2020
- Jada Pinkett Smith denies August Alsina's claim they had years-long relationship with Will Smith's blessing - Wonderwall - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Treatment Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbreak Remains a Threat to Growth in the... - July 3rd, 2020
- Its not just the lungs: COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - July 2nd, 2020
- Inequality in COVID-19 Has Other Dangerous Consequences - Fox and Hounds Daily - July 2nd, 2020
- Five Year-old Boy with Covid-19 Saves Sisters Life in Thailand - Chiang Rai Times - July 2nd, 2020
- Anniversary in the year of the coronavirus: 100 years of health protection at Audi - Automotive World - July 2nd, 2020
- What causes joint pain and how to slow down their defeat. Responsible orthopedic trauma - The Saxon - July 2nd, 2020
- In the middle of a pandemic, a young Minnesota mother fights her second cancer diagnosis - Minneapolis Star Tribune - June 27th, 2020
- Over 2,000 patients get stem cell treatment for COVID-19 in UAE | MEO - Middle East Online - June 27th, 2020
- Six-year-old given heroes welcome by his classmates after months of life-saving cancer treatment in Singapore - Yahoo Finance UK - June 27th, 2020
- BLM in STEM: We can't forget that scientific research is steeped in colonialism - Varsity Online - June 27th, 2020
- Exporting the Virus - The Investigative Fund - June 27th, 2020
- R3 International Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Anti Aging in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - June 26th, 2020
- 5-year-old Thai boy with COVID-19 saves sisters life with his stem cells - Yahoo Singapore News - June 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus Attacks the Lungs. A Federal Agency Just Halted Funding for New Lung Treatments. - The New York Times - June 26th, 2020
- Professor: Looming COVID Surge on "Verge of Being Apocalyptic" - Futurism - June 26th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy for coronavirus treats over 2000 patients, 1200 fully recover - MENAFN.COM - June 26th, 2020
- Mini-Organ Research Reveals What COVID-19 Does to the Body - Futurism - June 23rd, 2020
- Who is Nick Cordero and how is he doing after his coronavirus battle? - The Sun - June 23rd, 2020
- My Friend Was Struck by ALS. Heres How Hes Fighting Back - WIRED - June 23rd, 2020
- Family of 18-year-old Doncaster boy who died of cancer raise thousands for charities that helped him - Doncaster Free Press - June 23rd, 2020
- Michael Schumacher: Everything There Is to Know About His Health, Condition, and Accident - Essentially Sports - June 22nd, 2020
- Anonymous US stem cell donor saves the life of Norwich girl - Eastern Daily Press - June 19th, 2020
- British boy who came to Singapore for treatment for aggressive cancer is 'almost ready to go home' - CNA - June 19th, 2020
- Momenta clears a PhII hurdle on nipo but one big rival remains well in the lead in this packed field - Endpoints News - June 16th, 2020
- Leukemia Therapeutic Market to Witness Exponential Rise in Revenue Share During the Forecast Period 2015 to 2021 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 16th, 2020
- Want to save a life? Try to give blood. Then keep trying. - Tampa Bay Times - June 16th, 2020
- Rare disease startup NFlection scores $20M in Series A haul; Gilead partner Galapagos signs pact with Oxford biotech - Endpoints News - June 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy and Editing : Novel options for inherited retinal blindness - ETHealthworld.com - June 14th, 2020
- Why Do Some People Get Sick All the Time, While Others Stay in Freakishly Good Health? - Discover Magazine - June 14th, 2020
- If You Invested $1,000 in Fate Therapeutics' IPO, This Is How Much Money You'd Have Now - The Motley Fool - June 13th, 2020
- A Perfect Match: Marcus grad honors late father by saving lives - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 13th, 2020
- Chase and Sadie get heartbreaking results as his cancer spreads: 'Promise me you will try' - IndyStar - June 13th, 2020
- Irish dad with rare form of cancer would have died within a week if he didn't go to hospital - Irish Mirror - June 13th, 2020
- Types of cancers making people more vulnerable to Covid-19 - Nursing in Practice - June 13th, 2020
- They Put Him Back Together Again - University of Michigan Health System News - June 12th, 2020
- I thought it was just a rash but rare cancer now covers 90% of my skin splitting my hands and feet open - The Sun - June 12th, 2020
- 'I was tired and sore and I thought I had a really bad cold' - 9Honey - June 12th, 2020
- Westerleigh resident is alive because of stem cell therapy by his doctor -- for free. Heres his story. - SILive.com - June 12th, 2020
- Vancouver Island father dies of leukemia after battle to find mixed-race stem cell donor - Coast Mountain News - June 12th, 2020
- Thalassemia Treatment Market: Chelation Therapy to be Highly Lucrative Segment - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 || Top Growing Companies are ViroMed Co., Ltd, Ionis Pharmaceuticals,... - June 12th, 2020
- Could these senolytic drugs halt the spread of COVID-19? - Health Europa - June 11th, 2020
- Nick Cordero's Wife Says He Had A 'Rocky Night' After His Fever Spiked - iHeartRadio - June 11th, 2020
- Doctors revealed details of the new rescue of Michael Schumacher - The Times Hub - June 11th, 2020
- Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation and Metformin, a Hope for the Cure of Multiple Sclerosis - Gilmore Health News - June 11th, 2020
- Here Are a Bunch of Photos of Cops Not Wearing Masks - Futurism - June 9th, 2020
- Lies and Hypocrisy: Anti-Abortion Arguments to Restrict the Abortion Pill - Ms. Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Cryo-Cell to Donate 50,000 Face Masks to OBGYN Practices and Patients Around the Country Amidst COVID-19 - PR Web - June 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi invests Dh3.6m in new technology to boost Covid-19 fight - The National - June 9th, 2020
- Bald men at higher risk of having severe coronavirus, shocking new research suggests - Express - June 5th, 2020
- Cells inside Cells: The Bacteria That Live in Cancer Cells - ETHealthworld.com - June 5th, 2020
- Covid19: Increase in centers moving to collect convalescent plasma is creating a new demand says Chetan Mak.. - ETHealthworld.com - June 5th, 2020
- The latest on the coronavirus outbreak for June 5 - CBC.ca - June 5th, 2020
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - Yahoo Finance - May 30th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - KDAL News - May 30th, 2020
- COTA, Inc. Announces Participation in the 2020 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Virtual Scientific Program and DIA 2020 Virtual Global... - May 30th, 2020
- Scots mum, 28, who lost newborn baby tragically dies from lung inflammation weeks after cancer all clear - The Scottish Sun - May 30th, 2020
- "COVID-19: Treatment or vaccines? What seems more likely, and what could be more beneficial?" - Kalkine Media - May 30th, 2020
- Intravenous infusion of human umbilical cord Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for patients with COVID-19... - May 29th, 2020
- Viracta Therapeutics to Host Key Opinion Leader Call on the Treatment of EBV-Associated Lymphoma - PRNewswire - May 29th, 2020
- As Japan reopens, coronavirus testing slowed by bureaucracy and staff shortages - Physician's Weekly - May 28th, 2020
- VICTORY BELL: GMC's Coach Williams reaches remission | News - The Union-Recorder - May 28th, 2020
- DKMS-BMST Foundation India completes one year of operation in India - Express Healthcare - May 28th, 2020
- Studying the development of ovarian cancer with organoids - Science Codex - May 28th, 2020
- World Blood Cancer Day 2020: Bring down your risk of this condition with easy diet tips - TheHealthSite - May 28th, 2020
- Kyle Larson's First Payday After His NASCAR Suspension is Smaller Than You Might Think - Sportscasting - May 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Prevention Prescription - The New Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We must follow the rules to keep out coronavirus - Gulf News - May 26th, 2020
- Japanese newborn to receive the worlds first liver stem cell - News Landed - May 23rd, 2020
- First American to Receive Placental Cell Treatment For COVID-19 is an Acclaimed Broadway Scenic Designer - Science Times - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- In the race to find a Covid-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - The National - May 22nd, 2020
- Indian tennis: For injury-plagued Yuki Bhambri, the lockdown is both a chance and another challenge - Scroll.in - May 22nd, 2020
- Who Believe? Chad Coulter's spirit lives on through his son on and off the field - Dave Campbell's Texas Football - May 19th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals doctors gave him translucent blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cel - The Sun - May 19th, 2020