Thu., April 11, 2019, 9:42 a.m.
By Eve Glazier, M.D., , Elizabeth Ko and M.D. Andrews McMeel Syndication
Dear Doctor: Stem cell therapies are being heavily marketed here in Florida as promising treatments for a variety of illnesses, but I have my doubts. As a retired doctor, I hate to see people go into debt to pay for something fraudulent or unsafe. Am I being too critical?
Dear Reader: Stem cell therapies are making headlines right now in two very different ways. One is the news that a patient infected with HIV has been in remission for 18 months following a stem cell transplant. The other stem cell news arises from the subject of your letter. That is, unproven and unapproved stem cell treatments. These are being widely marketed as miracle cures for everything from Parkinsons disease, autism, arthritis and dementia to depression, multiple sclerosis, macular degeneration and traumatic brain injury.
Although the use of embryonic stem cells is federally monitored, adult stem cells can be extracted from a patients own body. That makes regulation and oversight challenging.
Despite extravagant claims of success by stem cell clinics, outcomes are largely unproven. However, the potential dangers are clear. In the past year, at least 17 people in five states have become gravely ill following stem cell treatments that used injections of umbilical cord blood and required hospitalization. In one such case, a man who received an injection of umbilical cord blood to address joint pain developed sepsis, a life-threatening infection. He spent 58 days in the hospital.
Last December, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a report warning about unapproved stem cell treatments. The Food and Drug Administration has issued numerous warnings on the issue as well.
The allure of stem cells is that they are a kind of blank canvas. These unprogrammed cells divide rapidly and have the ability to change into other types of cells, such as bone, brain or muscle cells. As a result, stem cells are the centerpiece of regenerative medicine, in which disease and injury are treated by growing new cells, or by replacing or repairing those that are dead and damaged.
Thanks to their unique properties, stem cells are seen as important tools in potential new therapies for diabetes, Parkinsons and heart disease, among others. But because stem cells are undifferentiated, they must first go through a special process, somewhat like programming, in which they are prepared to become specific types of cells. It is during this process, as well as during the act of transplantation, that potential risks to patients can arise.
According to the CDC, a number of vials of stem cell products made from umbilical cord blood were found to be contaminated with E. coli. Even before this latest spate of bad news, various unapproved stem cell treatments were found to cause harm to patients that included severe respiratory illness, blindness and even death.
With few consumer protections in place at this time, the FDA recommends that patients avoid stem cell therapies that are not part of an approved clinical trial. To find ongoing and upcoming clinical trials that use stem cells, visit clinicaltrials.gov. The home page contains a form that you can use to focus your search.
Send your questions to email@example.com.
April 11, 2019, 9:42 a.m.
- Eurecon Verlag GmbH: 20th Pharma Trend Image & Innovation Awards The Winners and Runner-ups - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- World Cord Blood Day 2019 to Welcome Leading Transplant Doctors and Pioneering Cellular Therapy Researchers - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2019
- Sarah Ferguson admits shes had Botox, TWO types of facelift and vitamin injections in a bid to stay youthful - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- A Doctor Plumbs The Depths Of Ivan Doig's Illness And Asks: 'Did He Have An Epiphany?' - Mountain Journal - October 10th, 2019
- Campaign to save five-year-old cancer sufferer has become one of the fastest online charity appeals EVER - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- Six people with links to UCLH listed among most influential people in London - University College London Hospitals - October 10th, 2019
- WWE Hall Of Famer Edge returning to the ring? - Wrestling News - October 4th, 2019
- Out of this world: Zionsville doctor sends osteoblast cells into space to study drug effects - Current in Carmel - October 4th, 2019
- Digital health, Unicorns and what the smart money is chasing - BizNews - October 4th, 2019
- Leesport boy fighting a second battle with cancer - Reading Eagle - October 3rd, 2019
- Man with terminal cancer battles back from coma to marry his childhood sweetheart - Mirror Online - October 3rd, 2019
- 2 Years Later, Retired Toms River Teacher Meets Bone Marrow Donor - wobm.com - October 3rd, 2019
- March to fight multiple myeloma scheduled this weekend - BlackburnNews.com - October 2nd, 2019
- Middlesbrough blood donor meets man she saved in Germany - The Northern Echo - October 2nd, 2019
- Taz Believes CM Punk Will Be At SmackDown On Fox Thinks Edge Could Pop Up On AEW Or SmackDown - Fightful - October 2nd, 2019
- Kevin Mwachiro: Keeper of Stories - Roads and Kingdoms - October 2nd, 2019
- Mansfield's Daniel Maberry has returned to coaching during battle with cancer, but his stay on sideline will be brief - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2019
- Eyes on the Prize: The CBC Fights Blindness During Sickle Cell Awareness Month - The Root - September 25th, 2019
- What's on TV Monday: The season premiere of 'Bull' on CBS - Los Angeles Times - September 25th, 2019
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Excessive Growth Opportunities Estimated to be Experienced 2018 to 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 25th, 2019
- Forecasting the Future of Medicine - The Future of Things - September 25th, 2019
- 'My blood brother:' Bone marrow donation started a friendship - Ottawa Citizen - September 25th, 2019
- Abortion Foe Defends Secret Taping as Investigative Work - Courthouse News Service - September 22nd, 2019
- Cancer is 'only a word,' says Moncton city councillor diagnosed with multiple myeloma - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Avoidable blindness: making global sight loss a thing of the past - Raconteur - September 22nd, 2019
- I turned down chemo after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and lived then I became pregnant after d - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Football Players? Or Lab Rats Who Can Run and Pass? - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Daleiden: sworn testimony exposed Planned Parenthoods crime of trafficking aborted-baby body-parts - Lifesite - September 22nd, 2019
- Mum's tireless campaign as daughter, 2, is kept alive by blood donors - Yahoo News Australia - September 22nd, 2019
- 3-day blood drive in Bathurst supports toddler with rare disease - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Bone marrow donor from Germany becomes recipient's maid of honour - DNA India - September 22nd, 2019
- Tumor Marker Testing Market Size, Growth, Trends and 2023 Forecast Report - OnYourDesks - September 22nd, 2019
- Im pleading with you please donate blood to help save my baby girl without it shell die - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Tecumseh girl still looking for bone marrow donor - BlackburnNews.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market research to Exhibit Significant Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2016-2026 - Analytics News - September 22nd, 2019
- Leukemia: Know the risk factors to keep the disease at bay - TheHealthSite - September 22nd, 2019
- NI teen's devastating cancer diagnosis days after dream Taylor Swift trip - Belfast Live - September 22nd, 2019
- Buy PRP Kits & Stem Cell Therapy Supplies for Regenerative ... - May 21st, 2019
- LifeCell - India's First and Largest Stem Cell Bank - May 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Auburn Novi MI| Chronic knee pain doctors in Auburn Novi - May 15th, 2019
- Doctors used stem cells to treat stroke symptoms ... - May 15th, 2019
- Elite Hospitals Plunge Into Unproven Stem Cell Treatments ... - May 12th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story | Spinal Cord Injury | SCRF - May 12th, 2019
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Plymouth | Stem cell hip Regeneration Hip Doctor Plymouth MI - May 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | New York - Park Avenue Stem Cell - April 15th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn | stem cell knee injections in Dearborn - April 13th, 2019
- Sports & Regenerative Medicine Specialist, Stem Cell ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Delaware, Stem cell injections, Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Meet Our Doctors | National Stem Cell Centers | NY Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors | Regenerative Medicine | Stem Cell ... - March 7th, 2019
- 2nd ever HIV patient in remission after stem cell ... - March 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Docu Series - March 5th, 2019
- Dr. Neil Riordan, Cell Therapy Expert - Stem Cell Treatment ... - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Tulsa OK | Broken Arrow | Jenks - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell FAQ - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Knee Therapy Cost | Stem Cell Knee Injection ... - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplantation | Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - February 17th, 2019
- Oregon Regenerative Medicine - Advanced Joint and Injury ... - February 17th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Sarasota | Advanced Rejuventation - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell for Lower Back Pain Specialists Tombal TX | The Best Stem Cell Doctors in Tombal TX - February 17th, 2019
- Regenerative Medicine Uses And Future Potential ... - February 17th, 2019
- Stem cell Doctors Auburn Hills MI | knee pain treatment Auburn Hills MI - February 15th, 2019
- Stem cell Doctors Troy MI | knee pain treatment Troy MI - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Fraud: A 60 Minutes investigation - CBS News - February 15th, 2019
- Knee - Regenexx - February 15th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn MI | stem cell clinic Dearborn - January 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell of Atlanta Regenerative Stem Cell Therapy ... - December 15th, 2018
- South Texas Spinal Clinic: Orthopedic Surgeons: South Texas - December 15th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Los Angeles, San Diego and San ... - December 15th, 2018
- Home - Seattle Stem Cell Center - November 26th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy Doctors Scottsdale & Phoenix - Stem Cell ... - November 26th, 2018
- StemCell | Ohio Stem Cell Treatment Center of Cleveland ... - November 26th, 2018
- Find a stem cell transplant provider | CTCA - November 26th, 2018
- stem cell doctors Archives - Stem Cell Therapy Phoenix - November 26th, 2018
- Our Doctors - Knee Stem Cells - November 26th, 2018
- Stem Cell Doctor West Bloomfield MI - November 19th, 2018
- FAQs - Stem Cell Treatment for Autoimmune Disorders - November 16th, 2018
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Glendale ... - November 13th, 2018
- Home - StemCell ARTS - November 13th, 2018