About Stem Cells In a Nut Shell: What are Stem Cells?
Simply put, in your body there are many different kinds of cells, each specialized for its own distinct task. Just as a banker works in a bank and a teacher works in a school, we have cardiac myocytes which are heart muscle cells, and retinal cells that work in eyes and allow us to see. Stem cells are immature cells which have the capability of becoming these more specialized cells. By purifying and amplifying these cells, we have developed an exciting new method to repair organs that are irreversibly damaged by the ravages of disease.
Importantly, adult stem cells can be obtained from adult human bone marrow. When extracted and grown under laboratory conditions, bone marrow stem cells can grow into many different kinds of cells, depending on the laboratory conditions under which they are grown.
Consider this scenario: you have a heart attack. You go to hospital. The doctors treat you and stabilize your condition, but they are unable to actually repair the damage your heart has sustained. Because of this you are at risk for other medical problems.
Doctors at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicines Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute are working on new therapies to address this specific problem. Using adult stem cells from the bone marrow, early tests have shown that cell-based therapies can reverse the damage your heart has sustained. Because of this, cell-based therapy may in the future improve the quality of life of patients who have had heart attacks. The mission of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute at the University of Miami is to make this happen as soon as possible and to conduct basic research to help understand exactly how this works.
This scenario, with further research and careful clinical trials, has the potential to be applicable to the repair of damaged liver, lung, spinal cord, and even improve treatments for diabetes.
These stem cells have never been anywhere near an embryo. They were made and live in adult bone marrow.
Stem Cells are undifferentiated cells that have the potential to differentiate into a variety of different cell types. Most in the news are embryonic stem cells, derived from terminated embryos, but our researchers use stem cells that are isolated from adult bone marrow, with no risk to the donor. In particular, for heart repair, we use mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) which are found in bone marrow, in muscle, skin and adipose tissue. They are able to differentiate into a number mesenchymal tissues, such as muscle, fibroblasts, bone, tendon, ligament and adipose tissue. They express signature markers that are unique, and easily distinguished from those of hematopoeitic and other types of stem cells.
Following myocardial infarction, heart tissue looses cardiac myocytes, which are irreplaceable nonrenewable cells. To compensate, it undergoes remodeling which results in hypertrophy and scar formation through accumulation of collagen and fibrosis. The heart thus enlarges and this leads to congestive heart failure. The ultimate goal of mesenchymal stem cell therapy is to stimulate repopulation of the damaged region with new heart tissue, and thus delay or prevent the progression from myocardial infarction to total heart failure.
Preliminary experimental and clinical trials have yielded promising results. MSCs, injected into heart tissue using a specialized catheter, were able to differentiate into cardiomyocytes and endothelial cells. In addition, these new cells were able to perform the same function as the cells that were lost due to cardiac infarction. The results thus imply that MSCs are actually differentiating into functional, integrated cardiomyocytes.
The paradigm thus begins to shift , with the emphasis being placed on regenerative medicine. For heart attack, all existing therapies restore blood flow or aim to minimize damage to the heart. Now we can conceive for the first time of reversing the damage caused by the heart attack. Many challenges lie ahead. We need to find the optimal cell, and the best way to deliver it. We must make sure the therapies are safe, and we must fully understand all of the different ways in which cell therapy works. And finally, we need to do the formal and rigorous testing to make sure that the therapies are safe and effective. All of our testing in humans is performed with the approval of the United States Food and Drug Administration.
This strategy is applicable to a wide range of tissue types and diseases. Researchers at the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute are working together not only on finding treatments for heart failure, but also for cancer, diabetes, bone and neurodegenerative diseases.
Boyle A.J., Schulman S.P. and Hare J.M. (2006) Stem cell therapy for cardiac repair: ready for the next step. Circulation 114: 339-352.
Laflamme M.A. and Murry C.E. (2005) Regenerating the heart. Nat Biotech 23: 845-856.
Zimmet J.M. and Hare J.M. (2005) Emerging role for bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells in myocardial regenerative therapy. Basic Res Cardiol 100: 471 481.
Read this article:
About Stem Cells | Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute ...
- Eurecon Verlag GmbH: 20th Pharma Trend Image & Innovation Awards The Winners and Runner-ups - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- World Cord Blood Day 2019 to Welcome Leading Transplant Doctors and Pioneering Cellular Therapy Researchers - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2019
- Sarah Ferguson admits shes had Botox, TWO types of facelift and vitamin injections in a bid to stay youthful - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- A Doctor Plumbs The Depths Of Ivan Doig's Illness And Asks: 'Did He Have An Epiphany?' - Mountain Journal - October 10th, 2019
- Campaign to save five-year-old cancer sufferer has become one of the fastest online charity appeals EVER - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- Six people with links to UCLH listed among most influential people in London - University College London Hospitals - October 10th, 2019
- WWE Hall Of Famer Edge returning to the ring? - Wrestling News - October 4th, 2019
- Out of this world: Zionsville doctor sends osteoblast cells into space to study drug effects - Current in Carmel - October 4th, 2019
- Digital health, Unicorns and what the smart money is chasing - BizNews - October 4th, 2019
- Leesport boy fighting a second battle with cancer - Reading Eagle - October 3rd, 2019
- Man with terminal cancer battles back from coma to marry his childhood sweetheart - Mirror Online - October 3rd, 2019
- 2 Years Later, Retired Toms River Teacher Meets Bone Marrow Donor - wobm.com - October 3rd, 2019
- March to fight multiple myeloma scheduled this weekend - BlackburnNews.com - October 2nd, 2019
- Middlesbrough blood donor meets man she saved in Germany - The Northern Echo - October 2nd, 2019
- Taz Believes CM Punk Will Be At SmackDown On Fox Thinks Edge Could Pop Up On AEW Or SmackDown - Fightful - October 2nd, 2019
- Kevin Mwachiro: Keeper of Stories - Roads and Kingdoms - October 2nd, 2019
- Mansfield's Daniel Maberry has returned to coaching during battle with cancer, but his stay on sideline will be brief - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2019
- Eyes on the Prize: The CBC Fights Blindness During Sickle Cell Awareness Month - The Root - September 25th, 2019
- What's on TV Monday: The season premiere of 'Bull' on CBS - Los Angeles Times - September 25th, 2019
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Excessive Growth Opportunities Estimated to be Experienced 2018 to 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 25th, 2019
- Forecasting the Future of Medicine - The Future of Things - September 25th, 2019
- 'My blood brother:' Bone marrow donation started a friendship - Ottawa Citizen - September 25th, 2019
- Abortion Foe Defends Secret Taping as Investigative Work - Courthouse News Service - September 22nd, 2019
- Cancer is 'only a word,' says Moncton city councillor diagnosed with multiple myeloma - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Avoidable blindness: making global sight loss a thing of the past - Raconteur - September 22nd, 2019
- I turned down chemo after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and lived then I became pregnant after d - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Football Players? Or Lab Rats Who Can Run and Pass? - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Daleiden: sworn testimony exposed Planned Parenthoods crime of trafficking aborted-baby body-parts - Lifesite - September 22nd, 2019
- Mum's tireless campaign as daughter, 2, is kept alive by blood donors - Yahoo News Australia - September 22nd, 2019
- 3-day blood drive in Bathurst supports toddler with rare disease - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Bone marrow donor from Germany becomes recipient's maid of honour - DNA India - September 22nd, 2019
- Tumor Marker Testing Market Size, Growth, Trends and 2023 Forecast Report - OnYourDesks - September 22nd, 2019
- Im pleading with you please donate blood to help save my baby girl without it shell die - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Tecumseh girl still looking for bone marrow donor - BlackburnNews.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market research to Exhibit Significant Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2016-2026 - Analytics News - September 22nd, 2019
- Leukemia: Know the risk factors to keep the disease at bay - TheHealthSite - September 22nd, 2019
- NI teen's devastating cancer diagnosis days after dream Taylor Swift trip - Belfast Live - September 22nd, 2019
- Buy PRP Kits & Stem Cell Therapy Supplies for Regenerative ... - May 21st, 2019
- LifeCell - India's First and Largest Stem Cell Bank - May 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Auburn Novi MI| Chronic knee pain doctors in Auburn Novi - May 15th, 2019
- Doctors used stem cells to treat stroke symptoms ... - May 15th, 2019
- Elite Hospitals Plunge Into Unproven Stem Cell Treatments ... - May 12th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story | Spinal Cord Injury | SCRF - May 12th, 2019
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Plymouth | Stem cell hip Regeneration Hip Doctor Plymouth MI - May 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | New York - Park Avenue Stem Cell - April 15th, 2019
- Ask the doctors: Stem cell therapies need more research ... - April 13th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn | stem cell knee injections in Dearborn - April 13th, 2019
- Sports & Regenerative Medicine Specialist, Stem Cell ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Delaware, Stem cell injections, Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Meet Our Doctors | National Stem Cell Centers | NY Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors | Regenerative Medicine | Stem Cell ... - March 7th, 2019
- 2nd ever HIV patient in remission after stem cell ... - March 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Docu Series - March 5th, 2019
- Dr. Neil Riordan, Cell Therapy Expert - Stem Cell Treatment ... - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Tulsa OK | Broken Arrow | Jenks - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell FAQ - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA - February 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Knee Therapy Cost | Stem Cell Knee Injection ... - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplantation | Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - February 17th, 2019
- Oregon Regenerative Medicine - Advanced Joint and Injury ... - February 17th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Sarasota | Advanced Rejuventation - February 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell for Lower Back Pain Specialists Tombal TX | The Best Stem Cell Doctors in Tombal TX - February 17th, 2019
- Regenerative Medicine Uses And Future Potential ... - February 17th, 2019
- Stem cell Doctors Auburn Hills MI | knee pain treatment Auburn Hills MI - February 15th, 2019
- Stem cell Doctors Troy MI | knee pain treatment Troy MI - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Fraud: A 60 Minutes investigation - CBS News - February 15th, 2019
- Knee - Regenexx - February 15th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn MI | stem cell clinic Dearborn - January 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell of Atlanta Regenerative Stem Cell Therapy ... - December 15th, 2018
- South Texas Spinal Clinic: Orthopedic Surgeons: South Texas - December 15th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy - Los Angeles, San Diego and San ... - December 15th, 2018
- Home - Seattle Stem Cell Center - November 26th, 2018
- Stem Cell Therapy Doctors Scottsdale & Phoenix - Stem Cell ... - November 26th, 2018
- StemCell | Ohio Stem Cell Treatment Center of Cleveland ... - November 26th, 2018
- Find a stem cell transplant provider | CTCA - November 26th, 2018
- stem cell doctors Archives - Stem Cell Therapy Phoenix - November 26th, 2018
- Our Doctors - Knee Stem Cells - November 26th, 2018
- Stem Cell Doctor West Bloomfield MI - November 19th, 2018
- FAQs - Stem Cell Treatment for Autoimmune Disorders - November 16th, 2018
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Glendale ... - November 13th, 2018