Magenta Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MGTA), a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing novel medicines to bring the curative power of immune reset to more patients, today highlighted recent progress across several programs and outlined goals for 2020. These updates will be discussed during a webcast presentation at the 38th annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference on Wednesday, January 15th at 11:30 a.m. PT (2:30 p.m. ET).
"In 2019 we generated landmark data from our ADC-based targeted patient preparation platform, which is delivering a new class of antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) that have the power to bring one-time treatment to more patients with autoimmune diseases, blood cancers and genetic diseases. We also presented clinical data for our first-line stem cell mobilization program, MGTA-145, which we are developing as the new standard of care for stem cell mobilization with the potential to benefit all of the transplant-eligible patients each year," said Jason Gardner, D. Phil., President and Chief Executive Officer, Magenta. "As we begin 2020, we are particularly excited to unveil our MGTA-117 clinical candidate for targeted patient preparation for stem cell transplant or gene therapy. New results announced today highlight the potency, safety and broad therapeutic index of MGTA-117, well above that of currently approved ADCs. We believe that MGTA-117 is the optimal agent for depleting stem cells to enable safe immune reset. We look forward to moving this program into the clinic with initial clinical data expected in 2021."
Targeted Patient Preparation Programs
Current methods to condition patients before transplant and gene therapy are dependent on toxic, non-specific chemotherapy or radiation. These pre-transplant treatments are associated with significant side effects, including infertility, cancer, organ damage and death. Magenta is developing targeted, disease-modifying ADCs that are designed to precisely and rapidly remove the disease-causing cells in the body and enable immune system reset without the need for chemotherapy or radiation.
CD117-ADC Recent Progress
Data presented at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) annual meeting in December 2019, showed the first-ever successful transplant of gene-modified cells in non-human primates using a CD117-targeted, single-agent ADC from Magenta, without the use of chemotherapy or radiation. These unprecedented results validate and advance Magentas conditioning platform.
Building on this work, Magentas new clinical candidate, MGTA-117, is a CD117 antibody conjugated to amanitin. Results published today in an abstract for the Transplant and Cellular Therapy annual meeting show that MGTA-117 potently depleted stem and progenitor cells and demonstrated a wide tolerability: potency ratio of 30 fold (therapeutic index; typical range for approved ADCs at this stage is two to six fold). This program is advancing to the clinic and further validates Magentas antibody drug conjugate-based conditioning platform. MGTA-117 was developed under a partnership with Heidelberg Pharma that grants Magenta exclusive worldwide development and marketing rights for ADCs using an amanitin payload and targeting CD117.
MGTA-117 in 2020
Magenta is scaling up manufacturing of MGTA-117 and completing IND-enabling studies in 2020. The Company intends to move this new product candidate into the clinic with initial clinical data expected in 2021.
CD45-ADC Recent Progress
Current standard treatment for patients with multiple sclerosis involves years of chronic dosing of medications that do not halt the progression of the disease. For patients with systemic sclerosis, a potentially fatal autoimmune disease, there are no approved therapies. Immune reset through stem cell transplant has demonstrated durable remissions in thousands of patients with autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis and systemic sclerosis, and it is recommended by the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) in treatment guidelines for systemic sclerosis. The immune reset process involves two main steps: removing the disease-causing cells and replacing them with healthy cells to rebuild the immune system to a healthy state.
Magenta is developing targeted ADCs designed to precisely remove the disease-causing cells in the body without the need for chemotherapy or radiation. Magentas CD45-ADC program targets CD45, a protein expressed on immune cells and stem cells and is designed to remove the cells that cause autoimmune diseases in order to enable curative immune reset.
Data presented at the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) meeting in November 2019 showed that a single dose of CD45-ADC removed disease-causing reactive T cells, enabled successful immune reset and rebuild of the immune system and was well tolerated in three models of autoimmune disease, including the EAE model, the most reliable murine model of multiple sclerosis. Further, a single dose of CD45-ADC significantly reduced disease incidence and delayed disease onset in this model that has successfully provided preclinical proof of concept for many clinically validated standard-of-care therapies.
CD45-ADC in 2020
Magenta has identified a lead antibody and has progressed this program into IND-enabling studies, which the Company plans to further advance in 2020.
MGTA-145 First-Line Stem Cell Mobilization Therapy
MGTA-145 Recent Progress
Magenta is developing MGTA-145 as the new first-line standard of care for stem cell mobilization in a broad range of diseases, including autoimmune diseases, blood cancers and genetic diseases. MGTA-145, a CXCR2 agonist, works in combination with plerixafor, a CXCR4 antagonist, to harness the physiological mechanism of stem cell mobilization.
Magenta is currently studying MGTA-145 and plerixafor in a Phase 1 study in healthy volunteers. Data from the Phase 1 study presented at the ASH annual meeting in December 2019 showed that MGTA-145 in combination with plerixafor successfully enables safe, same-day dosing, mobilization and collection of sufficient high-quality hematopoietic stem cells for transplant. Further, when cells collected from the first two apheresis subjects were transplanted into humanized mice, the cells engrafted more rapidly and at a five-fold higher level than cells from G-CSF-mobilized peripheral blood.
MGTA-145 in 2020
Magenta intends to complete the Phase 1 study and move this program into multiple Phase 2 studies in patients in 2020. The Phase 2 studies will include both allogeneic and autologous transplant settings and will evaluate mobilization and collection of high-quality cells and engraftment of the cells after transplant.
MGTA-456 Cell Therapy
MGTA-456 Recent Progress
MGTA-456 is a cell therapy designed to provide a high dose of stem cells that are well matched to the patient to enable safe immune and blood system rebuild and durable remissions in patients with blood cancers. In September, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) designation for MGTA-456 for the treatment of multiple inherited metabolic disorders.
Magenta is currently studying MGTA-456 in a Phase 2 study in patients with inherited metabolic disorders, including cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (cALD) and Hurler syndrome. These are rare, rapidly progressive neurologic disorders that are fatal when left untreated. Results in the first two evaluable patients with cALD updated in December 2019 showed early and durable resolution of the disease at 12 months follow-up. The Loes score and NFS score, which measure progress of the disease, remained stable, suggesting that progress of the disease has been halted in these patients. The early and durable resolution of disease with MGTA-456 is not consistently seen with other therapies, including standard stem cell transplant, gene therapy or enzyme replacement therapy.
MGTA-456 in 2020
Magenta intends to complete enrollment in the Phase 2 in 2020 and continue dialogue with the FDA under the RMAT designation, and to discuss with the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for development in Europe
About Magenta Therapeutics
Headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., Magenta Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing novel medicines for patients with autoimmune diseases, blood cancers and genetic diseases. By creating a platform focused on critical areas of unmet need, Magenta Therapeutics is pioneering an integrated approach to allow more patients to receive one-time, curative therapies by making the process more effective, safer and easier.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements and information within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and other federal securities laws. The use of words such as "may," "will," "could", "should," "expects," "intends," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "projects," "seeks," "endeavor," "potential," "continue" or the negative of such words or other similar expressions can be used to identify forward-looking statements. The express or implied forward-looking statements included in this press release are only predictions and are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including, without limitation risks set forth under the caption "Risk Factors" in Magentas Annual Report on Form 10-K, as updated by Magentas most recent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and its other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In light of these risks, uncertainties and assumptions, the forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this press release may not occur and actual results could differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements. You should not rely upon forward-looking statements as predictions of future events. Although Magenta believes that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, it cannot guarantee that the future results, levels of activity, performance or events and circumstances reflected in the forward-looking statements will be achieved or occur. Moreover, except as required by law, neither Magenta nor any other person assumes responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the forward-looking statements included in this press release. Any forward-looking statement included in this press release speaks only as of the date on which it was made. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200113005308/en/
Magenta Therapeutics:Manisha Pai, Vice President, Communications & Investor Relations617firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blood and bone marrow stem cell donation - Mayo Clinic - October 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2021 Trends and Leading Players Analysis 2027 Merck, STEMCELL Technologies, Irvinesci, Cell... - October 16th, 2021
- Resilience commits $30M to launch new biotechs out of Harvard with focus on therapeutics, biomanufacturing - FierceBiotech - October 16th, 2021
- Selma Blair Shares That Shes Now in Remission 3 Years After MS Diagnosis - Self - August 18th, 2021
- Third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to be offered to certain residents - Martins Ferry Times Leader - August 18th, 2021
- Friends, family continue Jocelyn's drive to increase stem cell donors - Chatham This Week - August 18th, 2021
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Exclusive License Agreement with City of Hope and the University of Chicago for Novel Oncolytic Virotherapy... - August 18th, 2021
- LSU Health Shreveport Vaccine Clinic at 2726 Linwood Avenue to Begin Administering Third Doses of Vaccine Tomorrow for Those Who Meet CDC Requirements... - August 18th, 2021
- Eagle County begins offering third vaccine doses to the immunocompromised - Vail Daily News - August 18th, 2021
- CDC: Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended For Moderately & Severely Immunocompromised Individuals Only - KSST - August 18th, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Arbor Strengthens Focus on Therapeutics with Key Additions to Leadership Team - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- For Patients with HIV and Cancer, a Multidisciplinary Treatment Approach is Critical - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2021
- Keeping the physical appointment was critical, the show of support appreciated by Renville County Commissioner - West Central Tribune - May 15th, 2021
- Appia Bio aims for a new kind of off-the-shelf CAR-T with $52M raise - FierceBiotech - May 15th, 2021
- Experimental treatments risk further medicalisation of menopause - The BMJ - May 15th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Know the diverse technological advancements in the biopreservation - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Reawakened immune cells attack cells tied to diseases of aging - STAT - STAT - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 8th, 2021
- Retracing the Lineage of Cancer Cells - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) Offers Stem Cells Therapy, An Alternative to Surgery For Pain Management in Myrtle Beach, SC - Press Release - Digital... - March 8th, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (San Antonio) Offers Non-Surgical Regeneration Therapy To Treat Aches, Pains, and Injuries In Individuals Around San Antonio - Press... - March 8th, 2021
- New Research Study Investigates Metformin as a Therapy to Promote Brain Repair and Reduce Disability in Children and Young Adults with MS -... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - January 30th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - January 30th, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- TScan Moves Toward the Clinic with $100 Million Series C Round - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Love Your Skin: What Is SPF And Why Is It Important? - Yahoo Movies Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- From hacking the immune system at the Parker Institute to decoding and reprogramming human cells - leading clinical immunotherapies developer Ramy Ibr... - January 30th, 2021
- City Awards $38 Million in Infrastructure Grants for City Science Institutions - CityLand CityLand - CityLand - January 30th, 2021
- Mesoblast Limited: Is Stemcell Therapy Ready For Prime Time? - Sick Economics - January 22nd, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction | DNA RNA... - January 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough motor neurone disease study finds way to reverse damage - The National - January 19th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces 2021 Corporate Priorities Supporting the Build-out of its Commercial Business in Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) Gene... - January 12th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market : Information, Figures And Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Paint it all Pink winner charity donation helps Elizabeth Wende Breast Care Fund - MPNnow.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Center for Regenerative Medicine - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Global Forecast, Cost, Key Participants and Emerging Trends and Key Players-AVIVA BioSciences , AdnaGen - The... - December 12th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 5th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Dec. 4 - ECM Publishers - December 5th, 2020
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020