In 2005 I donated embryos, and nine months later, the fertility clinic kindly informed me that the transfer had taken, and a twin girl and boy were born. I felt grateful for the news. In 2013 I heard from the clinic again, this time informing me of two new updates.
1. A third child was born in 2009. (Theyd forgotten to send the news at the time.)2. The recipient was satisfied that her family was complete, and rather than donating the eggs to stem cell science as is customary, she wanted to know if I wanted my cryogenically preserved embryos back.
Beyond the wondrous surprise of the email, the thoughtfulness of a stranger quietly holding this possibility for me felt like a cosmic miracle. I was touched by the idea of the potential children that might be born of these embryos one unlikely day, but more than that, I was moved by this anonymous persons generosity and grace. I instantly felt a deep connection when we began corresponding through a website for anonymous donors and recipients.
When the mother and I first started emailing each other, I was thrilled by the chance to connect with this person and exchange stories, which she was so utterly generous with. I made a point of taking my cues from her, never pushing for any information, and mostly listening. This woman had been so thoughtful about me, all these years, while I had no idea. Possibly, this is why our communication brought instant honesty. Once the embryos were transferred back to me, the mother wrote kindly about wanting to tell me that, thanks to details revealed in my donor profile and picturesmainly my devotion to writing, my deep gayness, and my look of short messy hair, tortoiseshell glasses, cuffed jeans, and a popped collarshe already had a deep sense of me.
The mother and I entered into a consistent correspondence, and more than once she shared with me her gratitude for what she called this immaculate coupling that has created three perfect beingshealthy, loving, smart, their unborn siblings sure to follow suit. She expressed joy at being able to help another woman (me!) work on her career, unfettered by any biological imperative to raise children within a particular timeline. Then she opened up about the twins, a boy and a girl, and the youngest, a girl, a sibling configuration very similar to my own family.
In another email she shared a story with me about going to a yard sale with the three kids. Her stories gave me the sense that the girl and her twin both were a bit androgynous, and the younger sister was described as a quiet, pensive tomboyjust like my own sister. I laughed to myself, thinking that maybe queerness was genetic and all the cryobabies would be queer. When this problematic idea crossed my mind, I smiled at the intersection of biology and identity and some kind of science fiction-level genetic technology that I dont really understand beyond how it feels to have gone through the donation process, medically and emotionally, and how much wonder I feel in the face of the connection born between us. The mother also recounted a story of the girl twin heading straight to the section of boys clothes, where for $10 she amassed an entire back-to-school wardrobe embodying, the boyish, preppy look of Shiloh Jolie-Pitt crossed with KD Lang, to add a more tasteful flair. The mother wrote about being secretly proud, a feeling I experienced reading her secondhand account.
A few months into our pen-pal relationship, our conversations about turned more precisely to gender, trans identity, and the nuanced fluidity of the child self, uncontainable within ideological notions of gender, imposed through words and systems far too restrictive for a child. I learned the girl twin had started playing around with different pronouns at age three, eventually settling on she, and living out her own exact aesthetic and social selves under the loving watch of her utterly attentive mother.
When the mother asked about my own experiences with gender, I sent her links to Psychology Today blogs I had written about this very topic. Quickly she responded, My first reaction to your literary contributions is that Im proud of you, before going on to marvel that, I never thought in a million years that your writing would become my future child-rearing material.
From all the anecdotes and details she shared with me, I had a clear mental image of all three children, and an automatic, indescribable sense of identification with the one child in particular. Through our communications about this childs gender, the mother and I were able to connect on a level I can only describe as spiritual.
I felt the call of these stories wishing to be told by our genes, and I continue to feel it in every cell in my body, despite having no specific words to share with this child and her siblings. Of all the anecdotes and images shared with me, here is the one that breaks me open every time I remember the early email where I learned details about the girl twin.And here I am, the mother had written, on the cusp of offering to reveal my life and giving a part of myself to someone Ive never met but I have. She is with us every day, her smile, her quirkiness, her drive, her cropped hair and Clark Kent glasses, her confusion, her revelations and rebirths, I have met her.
Reading this, I wiped the tears fogging up my Clark Kent glasses, my reflection glancing back at me in the glow of the screenmy cropped hair, my popped collar, my entire sense of self at once affirmed and exploded.
- Stem cell Manufacturing Market: is predicted to reach a valuation of by 2027 - Weekly Spy - November 16th, 2019
- Vertex invests in gene therapy manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 10th, 2019
- [Weekly Funding Roundup] Startups raised $53.3M, a drop of 75.8 pc from last week - YourStory - November 10th, 2019
- Pet Care Startup Wiggles Raises $1 Mn, Will Expand Its Footprint - Inc42 Media - November 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Research and Hair Transplants How Far Have We Come? - Science Times - October 31st, 2019
- New NCCN Guidelines Debut to Manage Complications and Improve Readiness for Stem Cell Transplant Recipients - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Sales Overview, Market Size, Opportunities, Demands, Market Share and Growth Analysis 2017 2025 - Health News Office - October 29th, 2019
- Acorn Biolabs partners with Executive Health Centre to become first clinic in North America to offer non-invasive stem cell collection - Canada... - October 24th, 2019
- Brooks Koepka slips on wet concrete, withdraws from CJ Cup - Golfweek - October 21st, 2019
- New research center to explore muscle health and disease - Newswise - October 18th, 2019
- Opinion: Neighborhood Health Clinic contributes to the overall wellbeing of Naples - Naples Daily News - October 18th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Appoints Jan Pinkas as Senior Vice President, Head of Translational Sciences and Announces Transition of Chief Scientific Officer... - October 18th, 2019
- The global wound care market is growing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period20182024 - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Saving rhinos with stem cells; $5.5 billion stem cell ballot measure readied - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ThoroldNews.com - October 12th, 2019
- Microbiome research needs a gut check - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - GuelphToday - October 11th, 2019
- Biohack Your Way To Beauty And Health Using Your DNA And Stem Cells At These Wellness Retreats Around The World - Singapore Tatler - October 11th, 2019
- Man with at least 17 children sues fertility clinic for being 'incredibly irresponsible' with his sperm - Genetic Literacy Project - October 11th, 2019
- Senior, caregivers conference and expo coming Oct. 11 - The Daily Courier - October 9th, 2019
- Stem cell research is a good thing | Opinion - Chart - October 6th, 2019
- Regenerative medicine today: Are diabetes and vascular disease treatments ready for the clinic? - Science Magazine - October 5th, 2019
- Dr Naveen Pemmaraju Outlines the Symptoms of Myelofibrosis - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - October 5th, 2019
- Businesses Sponsor Another Season Of Movies In The Park Square - Osprey Observer - October 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Manufacturing | Research Report Overview By Top Key Players, Opportunities, Key Drivers, Application and Regional Outlook To 2027 -... - October 5th, 2019
- Sigilon Therapeutics approaches the clinic - Vantage - September 20th, 2019
- Research report explores the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Zebvo - September 20th, 2019
- 'It feels amazing,' says Alabama man now first in the state to be free of sickle cell after gene therapy - Face2Face Africa - September 20th, 2019
- Michael Schumacher Is 'Conscious', Released From Paris Hospital After Experimental Treatment - International Business Times - September 20th, 2019
- Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager - September 20th, 2019
- Living With a Secondary Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Strategy That May Protect Against Hair-Loss During Cancer Treatments - Good News Network - September 20th, 2019
- Clinical trial of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal ... - September 17th, 2019
- Autologous stem cell transplant - Type - Mayo Clinic - June 1st, 2019
- Stem cell therapy for hip | Mayo Clinic Connect - May 11th, 2019
- Next Generation Stem Cell - Professional medical clinic - April 7th, 2019
- N.Y. Attorney General Sues Manhattan Stem Cell Clinic ... - April 6th, 2019
- ThriveMD | Colorado's Experts in Stem Cells & Regenerative ... - March 29th, 2019
- Top Rated Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Denver & Vail ... - March 16th, 2019
- South Florida Stem Cell Center | Regenerative Therapy Clinic - March 16th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - March 7th, 2019
- COPD and stem cell treatment | Mayo Clinic Connect - March 7th, 2019
- GARM Stem Cell Clinic | Roatan - March 2nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinic Treatment Jupiter FL Alternative ... - March 1st, 2019
- Is This Stem-Cell Clinic Really Making Cancer Vaccines ... - February 12th, 2019
- Stem cells treatment clinic - Effective stem cell treatment - February 1st, 2019
- Vitality Healthcare - Home - January 28th, 2019
- About Us - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Brandon Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Illinois Stem Cell Clinic - Illinois Stem Cell Clinic ... - October 5th, 2018
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Clinic - September 19th, 2018
- FDA Response - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - June 29th, 2018
- World Stem Cell Clinic - For a better quality of life | WSCC - June 18th, 2018
- Stem Cell Clinic Palmetto - Stem Cell Therapy Greenwood ... - June 18th, 2018
- Top Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Vail & Denver, Colorado ... - September 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - American Regenerative Clinic, Stem ... - September 19th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - Lexology (registration) - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA steps up enforcement against unscrupulous stem cell firms - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - JD Supra (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Around the world - Bend Bulletin - August 29th, 2017
- Daily on Healthcare: Lack of bare counties doesn't solve Obamacare's problems - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- How a UCSF study could change the lives of babies in the womb and maybe help California's stem cell program in ... - San Francisco Business Times - August 25th, 2017
- Stem Cell Study for Dogs - MyWabashValley - August 23rd, 2017
- Joint Preservation vs. Replacement: What's Your Best Option? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Bio-inspired Materials Give Boost to Regenerative Medicine - Bioscience Technology - August 22nd, 2017
- Fraud Alert! Unproven Stem Cell Use Prompts International Call to Action - American Council on Science and Health - August 20th, 2017
- Friends come together for benefit concert for Joni Eickhoff - Grand Island Independent - August 16th, 2017
- 'Unexpected fountain of youth' found in cardiac stem cells, researcher says - FOX31 Denver - August 16th, 2017
- New Mayo Clinic facility aims to increase lungs available for transplant - First Coast News - August 10th, 2017
- Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with 'desperate' need for South Asians - Surrey Now-Leader - August 2nd, 2017
- Tampa Florida Stem Cell Clinic - Don't Operate - Regenerate - July 12th, 2017
- Dorothy Jean Kercheval Garrigan - The Messenger (subscription) - July 12th, 2017
- Private clinics are peddling untested stem cell treatments it's unethical and dangerous - Yahoo News UK - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' unproven stem cell treatment is unsafe and unethical ... - Business Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Stem Cells Play a Role in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Relapse - Technology Networks - June 30th, 2017
- NBA Star John Salley Partners with Stem Cell Centers of Excellence ... - Market Exclusive - June 30th, 2017
- Making Babies, No Sex Necessary - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2017
- Stem Cell Stem Cell Treatments by Clinic 42 - June 25th, 2017
- Powerful boost for bad skin days - Inquirer.net - June 22nd, 2017