John Jerome had recently run a triathlon when he noticed his balance was getting worse and his speech slowing down.
It was the latest indication that something was wrong.
He had already suffered from knee pain and problems running in 1999, and had knee surgery later that year.
But it wasn't until he saw a neurologist in 2003 that the true scope of his ailment came into focus he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a progressive motor neuron disease that affects the cells that control muscles.
Most people with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, die within three to five years of diagnosis. But Jerome is still alive and active after 16 years, working two mornings a week at Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"Some people go real fast and they die, and some like me, and Stephen Hawking, have lived a long time. But without money, were not going to find a cure," said Jerome. "I dont know what Id be doing if I wasnt here. Im very fortunate they still let me work here."
After being diagnosed, Jerome regularly made the drive to Atlanta to get checkups at the Emory ALS Center, one of the most critical ALS research facilities in the nation.
It was there in 2010 that he enrolled in phase one of an experimental stem cell trial, which involved two surgeries where doctors injected more than a million stem cells directly into his spinal cord.
"I wanted to do more than just sit around and waste away. I wanted to do my part to try to find a cure, so I did the trial," he said. "I did not get better, but I believe I am getting worse at a slower rate. But since I was slow progressing anyway, its hard to say whether Im getting worse even slower now."
Emory conducted a second phase of the trial that Jerome didn't take part in before funding ran out. But it is research like that Jerome hopes will eventually lead to a cure for ALS, which spurred him to take action on his own to help out any way he could.
Last year, he spearheaded the first John Jerome "Acing ALS' Tennis Benefit to raise money for Emory ALS Center, which offers a clinic every month where ALS patients can receive care.
"John did this on his own," said Bret Peterson, the Tennis Center events manager who works with Jerome. "He came to me and we figured this thing out and put it on. Hes the driving force behind that. Theres not somebody else thats pushing him to do it. Its a big credit to him, really."
Jerome will be hosting the second annual Acing ALS Tennis Benefit on Oct. 4 at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. It's an event that he hopes will raise awareness about ALS and money for research that could one day lead to a cure.
"When they did the ice bucket challenge, that raised $100 million or more, and it did bring a lot of awareness to everybody hearing about ALS, but its dying down," he said. "Without people really donating money, funds may dry up and we may not find a cure.
"Really, I just want people to be aware of ALS and really help us find a cure when every dollar counts."
The first benefit raised $16,000, with more than 70 people signing up to play tennis. Jerome is hoping to raise even more this year. Emory ALS Center will receive all of the funds raised from the event.
The tennis benefit will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. on Oct. 4, and players of all ages and levels are welcome to participate. Snacks, drinks and pizza will be provided by the Auburn Community Tennis Association, and prizes will be given in fastest serve competitions.
It meant a great deal to see so many people in the Auburn community come out and support the effort to find a cure for ALS, Jerome said.
"Man, I got choked up last year. Bret had me say a few words and it really meant a lot. Im even getting choked up talking about it now, and it hasnt even happened," he said. "ALS doesnt get the funding of cancer and stuff like that, but its very important to raise money."
Read the original:
Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on the Role of CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - OncLive - September 12th, 2020
- When old age catches up with you in your 30s - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- The 9th ISS R&D Conference Is Opening This Week, but This Year's Setup Is Different - Science Times - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market Covid-19 Impact On 2020 In-depth Industry Size, Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2026: EmCyte, Terumo,... - August 28th, 2020
- Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Industry Size, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 Osiris Therapeutics Inc, US Stem Cell Inc, Yuhan... - August 28th, 2020
- Burger Reviews BTK Inhibitors and Beyond in Frontline CLL - Targeted Oncology - August 25th, 2020
- Global Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Checkout the Unpredictable Future: Industry Applications, Competitors growth prospects, Industry... - August 25th, 2020
- Adapting ideas from quantum physics to calculate alternative interventions for infection and cancer - Science Codex - August 25th, 2020
- What voters need to know about Californias ballot propositions - OCRegister - August 24th, 2020
- Diabetic patients may find ray of hope in stem cell treatment - The News International - August 21st, 2020
- Jocelyn McGlynn inspired people to help others - Chatham This Week - August 19th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market with leading companies like ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES, Abbott Animal Hospital, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Veterinary Hospital and... - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Report: Production, Revenue, Price Trend by Types & Market Analysis by Application -... - August 18th, 2020
- Hackensack University Medical Center Has the Best Cancer Center in New Jersey John Theurer Cancer Center recognized by U.S. News & World Report -... - August 18th, 2020
- Novel CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Advanced Hodgkin Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors |... - August 13th, 2020
- Novo backs 'breakthrough' antifungal player's $60M round with a focus on rare mold infections - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- CanSino reaps $748M windfall from Shanghai IPO as it warns Covid-19 vaccine won't be a huge money maker - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- Roche pulls a tumor micro-environment drug out of the freezer, hands it to a UK upstart - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- Avobis Bio and Vineti announce strategic collaboration to support new implantable cell therapies addressing debilitating conditions - GlobeNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Plotting to be the BridgeBio of AI, Atomwise lands $123 million Series B for hype-heavy platform - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- Strategies and Suggestions for Patent Applications in the Hot Field of Biotechnology - Lexology - August 11th, 2020
- Versant debuts Ridgeline's startup #4, armed with $30M and alternative TCR cell therapies for solid tumors - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: CureVac beefs up its unicorn IPO dreams as billionaire owner takes this Covid-19 mRNA player on a forced march to Nasdaq; Kodak's... - August 10th, 2020
- Vida Ventures co-leads Dyne's $115M megaround for next-gen oligo therapies aimed squarely at muscles - Endpoints News - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BLCM.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- National Stem Cell Clinic: Stem Cell Therapy in Miami ... - August 7th, 2020
- In the clinic for Aug. 6, 2020 | 2020-08-06 - BioWorld Online - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Bulletin Line - August 5th, 2020
- StemCells 21 Premium Stem Cell Treatments In Bangkok ... - August 5th, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - WAM EN - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - PR Web - August 3rd, 2020
- 27th Annual Luau and Legends of Surfing Invitational Set to Make Virtual Waves - UC San Diego Health - July 30th, 2020
- Celsius Therapeutics, Twist Bioscience, And More: News From July 2020 - Bio-IT World - July 30th, 2020
- David Karli Launches New Treatment for Patients with severe Arthritic Conditions - THISDAY Newspapers - July 29th, 2020
- Dreambody.clinic - Stem Cells, HGH, TRT, Hormone ... - July 29th, 2020
- Distanced from a pricing controversy, Jeff Aronin steers one of his biotechs to Nasdaq with a familiar regulatory strategy tied to a big bet -... - July 29th, 2020
- AbbVie backs an Italian startup focused on autoimmune diseases; BioTheryX advances AML drug with $35M D round - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- After Big Pharma abandoned infectious diseases, 5 biotech contrarians decided to go all in. Then Covid-19 changed everything - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- Ayahuasca inspires another biotech startup at ATAI; Mylan TB drug gets green light in India - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Opportunities And Forecast Analysis To 2026| Gilead Sciences, Novartis, Osiris - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - July 26th, 2020
- This is What He and His Family Are Working Towards- Former Ferrari Head Todt Reveals He Saw Michael Schumacher Last Week - Essentially Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Two Immunotherapies Converted Into Single Therapy for Certain Blood Cancers - Technology Networks - July 24th, 2020