The team of Japanese doctors, led by cardiac surgeon Yoshiki Sawa at Osaka University, will useiPS cells to create a sheet of 100 million heart-muscle cells.It will be the second clinical application of iPS cells in Japan and third worldwide (RIKEN, Cynata Therapeutics, and now, Osaka University).
The growing popularity of iPSC technology has also been attracting investments from the commercial sector. Notably, in December 2016, Bayer AG and Versant Ventures formed a start-up named BlueRock Therapeutics focused on iPSCs therapy. The company raised funding of USD $225 million, the largest iPSC financing round ever.
The largest company manufacturing iPS cells isCellular Dynamics International, a Fujifilm company. The company is widely known as Fujifilm CDI.
Fujifilm CDI manufactures biologically relevant human cells derived from iPS cells. Its iCell and donor-specific MyCell Products are highly pure, highly reproducible, and available in industrial quantity to enable drug discovery, toxicity testing, stem cell banking, and cell therapy development.
Within Europe, the largest iPS cell developer and manufacturer is Ncardia, a company formed in September 2017 by the merger of Axiogenesis and Pluriomics.Ncardia is the largest supplier in Europe and the second largest iPS cell company in the world after Fujifilm CDI.
Ncardia is a private company with operations in Europe and the US that produces and commercializes high-quality, fully functional hiPSC derived cardiovascular and neuronal cell types. It also develops electrophysiology, biochemistry,and contraction based assays to support drug development and discovery.
There are also dozens of other suppliers of iPS cell lines, differentiated cell types, kits, assays, reprogramming services, and more.
Today, methods for commercializing iPS cells are still being explored, as clinical studies investigating them remain low in number. One of the greatest challenges is to establish standards across the industry for cell quality and functionality in order to protect patient safety.
To learn more about iPS cells, view the video below:
If you found this blog valuable, subscribe to BioInformants stem cell industry updates.
As the first and only market research firm to specialize in the stem cell industry, BioInformant research is cited by The Wall Street Journal, Xconomy, AABB, and Vogue Magazine. Bringing you breaking news on an ongoing basis, we encourage you to join more than half a million loyal readers, including physicians, scientists, executives, and investors.
Do you think iPS cells are safe for use within cell therapy? What do you see as their pros and cons? Leave your thought in the comments section below.
Up Next:Worlds First Clinical Application of iPS Cells for Cardiac Disease
Editors Note: This post was originally published on June 25, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Read more from the original source:
What Are Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells? | Intro to the ...
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- 2020-2024 Global Regenerative Medicine Market with Impact Analysis of COVID-19, Production, Revenue, Demand & Applications - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Industry ... - June 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share, Size, Trends 2020- Segments worth Observing Aiding Growth Factors | Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company.... - June 19th, 2020
- Janus-Faced PCL2? Alzheimer's Risk Protein Toggles TREM2 and TLR Pathways - Alzforum - June 13th, 2020
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Rose 18.4% in May - The Motley Fool - June 10th, 2020
- Evera, A Harvard Consumer Biotech Company, Brings Stem Cell Banking To You - Forbes - June 10th, 2020
- Nanion Technologies and Nexel Partner to Open a New Reference Demonstration Laboratory in South Korea - Labmate Online - June 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Dynamics ... - June 7th, 2020
- Generation of self-organized sensory ganglion organoids and retinal ganglion cells from fibroblasts - Science Advances - May 30th, 2020
- Hesperos Human-on-a-Chip System Used to Model Preclinical Stages of Alzheimer's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment - Business Wire - May 30th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 30th, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 Lockdown Scenario - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Study: Heart Problems in SMA May Be Tied to Calcium Dysregulation - SMA News Today - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Garner USD 14745.7 Million by The End of 2024 By Recording a CAGR of 4.8% (Impact Analysis... - May 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Applications in 2020 - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Growing Tends ... - May 16th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Parkinson's - MedPage Today - May 14th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- Novel CAR NK-cell technology could lead to new treatments for lupus, other incurable diseases - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- 2020 Insights on the Worldwide Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult links with Japan's CiRA Foundation - PharmaTimes - May 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - May 9th, 2020
- Mogrify strikes deal with US biopharma Sangamo Therapeutics - Cambridge Independent - April 28th, 2020
- How could Covid-19 and the body's immune response affect the brain? - MIT News - April 28th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- FDA Expediting Accelerated Development of Novel Therapies for COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- GLOBAL TOOTH REGENERATION MARKET: INDUSTRY ANALYSIS AND FORECAST (2020-2027) - MR Invasion - April 28th, 2020
- Insights on the Cell Expansion Industry in North America to 2027 - by Product, Cell Type, Application, End-user and Country - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2020
- Induced pluripotent stem cells and CRISPR reversed diabetes in mice - Drug Target Review - April 24th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 24th, 2020
- The integrated stress response: From mechanism to disease - Science Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 23rd, 2020
- Business News: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 | BlueRock Therapeutics, Corning Life Sciences, EMD... - April 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Size, Market Status, Influencing Factors, Competition, Outlook & Forecasts to 2027 - Cole of Duty - April 23rd, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2019 analysis, size, top companies, share, strategies and forecast to 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - April 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapies Can Revolutionize Treatment, Automation Needed to Scale Production - ENGINEERING.com - April 15th, 2020
- Lung epithelium model being tested as a platform for COVID-19 research - Drug Target Review - April 11th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' IO Collaboration with Janssen Could Yield Company $3 Billion - Clinical OMICs News - April 11th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Key Players, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Industry Overview on Global Size, Share, Future Trends, Segmentation, Demands, and Top Players... - April 9th, 2020
- Evotec Makes Move into Gene Therapy with Takeda... - Labiotech.eu - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Research Pros And Cons ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Evotec Expands Its IPSC-Based Cell Therapy Platform Evocells Through Licensing Agreement with panCella - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Citius Signs Option With Novellus To License Novel Stem-Cell Therapy For ARDS - Nasdaq - April 2nd, 2020
- Anti-IL-6 Monoclonal Antibodies as Antiarrhythmic Treatment for HF - The Cardiology Advisor - April 2nd, 2020
- A New NK Cell-based Immunotherapy For Cancer Treatment - Health News Today - March 24th, 2020
- Coriell Institute for Medical Research Awarded $8.6 Million Biobanking Contract from National Institute on Aging - Newswise - March 18th, 2020
- Stem cells to help the heart - Science Magazine - March 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 202 - ITResearchBrief.com - March 12th, 2020
- SpaceX Dragon cargo ship, the last to be caught by robot arm, arrives at space station - Space.com - March 11th, 2020
- Notice of Capital and Business Alliance between Heartseed and MEDIPAL HOLDINGS | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - March 11th, 2020
- NanoSurface Bio Executes Exclusive License of Heart-on-Chip Technology Launched Into Space - Business Wire - March 9th, 2020
- Eye health: Testing the safety of stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration - Open Access Government - March 9th, 2020
- Despite Pro-Life Claims, Stem Cell Therapy Has Very Real Benefits and Should Be Accessible - Patheos - March 6th, 2020
- Little Tissue, Big Mission: Beating Heart Tissues to Ride Aboard The ISS - Newswise - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX set to launch Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule from Cape Canaveral this week - Florida Today - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Targeting March 6 for Launch of its 20th Resupply Mission to International Space Station | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - February 29th, 2020
- The European Bank of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Five Years of Progress - Technology Networks - February 28th, 2020
- New study identifies trigger that turns dormant cancer stem cells into active ones - PR Web - February 26th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth & Development, Trends, Insights and Forecast until... - February 25th, 2020
- Improving shoes, showers, 3D printing: research launching to the Space Station - Space Daily - February 21st, 2020
- Argentinian cultured meat supplier on its 'all-in-one' cell line: 'We offer cells that can grow fast and reduce costs' - FoodNavigator-Latam - February 20th, 2020
- Building a 'doomsday vault' to save the kangaroo and koala from extinction - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Surge in the Adoption of Stem Cell-Derived Cells to Fuel the Growth of the Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Through the Assessment Period 2019 2029 -... - February 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Achieve more Profitability Ratio between 2020-2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 16th, 2020
- Cell-based meat in focus: In conversation with Meatable, Finless Foods, New Age Meats - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 11th, 2020
- Research could be step toward lab-grown eggs and sperm to treat... - ScienceBlog.com - February 10th, 2020
- First dual stem cell therapy jointly developed by City University of Hong Kong brings new hope for cardiac repair - QS WOW News - February 10th, 2020
- Chromatin accessibility analysis reveals regulatory dynamics of developing human retina and hiPSC-derived retinal organoids - Science Advances - February 10th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics to Collaborate with University of California, Irvine on Neural Stem Cell Research Program for Huntingtons Disease and Other... - February 4th, 2020
- 2020 Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Study: Global Markets, Technologies, Applications and Companies - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020