Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe mental disorder that influences how a person thinks, feels, and carries on. People with schizophrenia may appear as though they have lost touch with reality.
It is a debilitating neuropsychiatric disease that affects about 1% of adults with heritability ranging from 73 to 83% in twin studies. However, its underlying genetic architecture remains incompletely understood.
Kai Wang, Ph.D., of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine said, Because hundreds, or even thousands, of genes, may contribute to the risk of schizophrenia, it is crucial to understand which are the most important ones, orchestrating core networks in the disease.
In a new study by the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), scientists used computational tools to determine the gene transcription networks in extensive collections of brain tissues and investigated a gene that acts as a master regulator of schizophrenia during early human brain development.
Scientists used computational systems biology approaches to discern a disease-relevant core pathway in schizophrenia and to discover a master regulator in that pathway that affects hundreds of downstream genes.
Scientists analyzed two different datasets of biological samples from schizophrenia patients and control subjects. One dataset, the CommonMind Consortium (CMC), is a public-private partnership with well-curated brain collections. The other was a collection of primary cultured neuronal cells derived from olfactory epithelium (CNON), generated by study co-authors at the University of Southern California and SUNY Downstate.
The CMC dataset contained adult postmortem brain tissue, while the CNON dataset, used to validate findings from the CMC study, represented cell cultures that contain neuronal cells from nasal biopsies.
Applying an algorithm developed at Columbia University to reconstruct gene transcription networks, the study team identified the gene TCF4 as a master regulator for schizophrenia.
Wang said, Previous genome-wide association studies (GWAS) had indicated that TCF4 was a locus for schizophrenia risk, but little was known of the genes functional effects. We investigated those effects by knocking down, or decreasing, the genes expression in neural progenitor cells and glutamatergic neurons derived from induced pluripotent stem cells in Duans lab at NorthShore.
Observations on three different cell lines showed that, when knocked down, the predicted TCF4 regulatory networks were enriched for genes exhibiting transcriptomic changes, as well as for genes involved in neuronal activity, schizophrenia risk genes having genome-wide significance, and schizophrenia-associated de novo mutations.
Jubao Duan, Ph.D., the Charles R. Walgreen Research Chair and an associate professor at the Center for Psychiatric Genetics of North Shore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) said, The results from perturbing TCF4 gene networks in human stem cell models may be more relevant to the neurodevelopmental aspects of neuropsychiatric disorders.
The study represents one of the first successful examples of combining computational approaches and stem cell-based experimental models to disentangle complex gene networks in psychiatric diseases.
The study is published in the journal Science Advances..
View original post here:
Scientists recognize genes as master regulators in schizophrenia - Tech Explorist
- UK animal experiment statistics indicate reluctance to embrace modern tools to advance British labs into the 21st century - Labmate Online - November 10th, 2019
- Human heart cells change during spaceflight, say scientists in study that could have far-reaching effects on c - MEAWW - November 7th, 2019
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Dropped as Much as 19.9% Today - Motley Fool - November 7th, 2019
- Space travel may change the human heart - Inverse - November 7th, 2019
- Allogene Therapeutics and Notch Therapeutics Announce Collaboration to Research and Develop Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC)-Derived Allogeneic... - November 5th, 2019
- Goldfinch Bio to Present Oral and Poster Presentations at the American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week 2019 Annual Meeting - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- MD Anderson and Takeda Team Up on Next-Generation Immuno-Oncology Therapeutics - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market is expected to witness a strong CAGR of 7.0% from 2018 to 2026 - Zebvo - November 2nd, 2019
- Can organoids, derived from stem cells, be used in disease treatments? - The Hindu - October 26th, 2019
- University team to seek approval for iPS-based heart treatment trial - The Japan Times - October 26th, 2019
- Global Gemcitabine Hydrochloride Market: Segmented By Application And Geography Trends, Growth And Forecasts To 2024 - Health News Office - October 26th, 2019
- Global consortium formed to combat unproven cell banking services - Drug Target Review - October 22nd, 2019
- Bloomberg Philanthropies, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and The New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute Announce an... - October 22nd, 2019
- ISCT forms cell and gene therapy sector-wide coalition to combat the rise of unproven commercial cell banking services - PharmiWeb.com - October 21st, 2019
- Mutations Linked to Huntington's Increase Cells' Resistance to Manganese, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 15th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market : Insights Into the Competitive Scenario of the Market - Online News Guru - October 11th, 2019
- 'Rewind Therapeutics' and Remyelination - SciTech Europa - October 11th, 2019
- Cell Expansion Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2016 2024 - Space Market Research - October 9th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2019 Innovative Trends and Insights Research upto 2024 - News Adopt - October 5th, 2019
- New Rett Therapies May Stem From X-chromosome Reactivation Findings - Rett Syndrome News - October 5th, 2019
- Stemming the Tide of Alzheimer's - UCI News - October 5th, 2019
- Skin-Derived Heart Cells Help Uncover the Genetic Foundations of Cardiac Function - Technology Networks - October 5th, 2019
- IGIB finds a protein with better precision in gene-editing - The Hindu - October 5th, 2019
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market: Focus on Acoustophoresis, Buoyancy-activated, Dielectrophoresis, Magnetophoretics, Microfluidics,... - October 5th, 2019
- Fabry Heart Cells Grown in Lab Dish Give Hints to Cardiac Complications - Fabry Disease News - September 27th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 Analysis & Forecast Report 2024 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Gene regulators work together for oversized impact on schizophrenia risk - National Institutes of Health - September 24th, 2019
- Blood Pressure and Prostate Treatment May Prevent or Slow Parkinson's, Early Study Suggests - Parkinson's News Today - September 24th, 2019
- New Gene Editing Technique Shown to Correct COL7A1 Gene in RDEB Cells - Epidermolysis Bullosa News - September 24th, 2019
- Vaginitis Therapeutics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive lands - News By ReportsGO - September 24th, 2019
- Efavirenz/Tenofovir/Emtricitabine Combination Drug Market Overview with Detailed - News by Intelligence Journal - September 24th, 2019
- Can Consciousness be Created? - University Observer Online - September 24th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 Industry Growth with CAGR 12.7% in Forecast to 2024 - Indian Columnist - September 21st, 2019
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cells Market Size Set for Rapid Growth and Trend by2018 2028 - My Health Reporter - September 21st, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization - Analytics News - September 20th, 2019
- 2024 Projections: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Report by Type, Application and Regional Outlook - TheSlapClap - September 20th, 2019
- Angelman Foundation Honors 4 for Their Research, Advocacy Efforts - Angelman Syndrome News - September 20th, 2019
- Dicerna And DCR-A1AT In Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency-Associated Liver Disease - Seeking Alpha - September 20th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics raises $173 million in offering - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 19th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market is expected to reach US$ 2299.5 Mn by the end of the forecast period in 2026 - Zebvo - September 19th, 2019
- induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) market reached $2.1 billion in 2016 The market should reach $3.6 billion in 2021 - ScoopJunction - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Common Prostate Drug May Slow Progression of Parkinson, Researchers Say - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 19th, 2019
- Automated Large-Scale Production of Retinal Organoids - Advanced Science News - September 19th, 2019
- How a Centuries-Old Sculpting Method Is Helping 3D Print Organs With Blood Vessels - Singularity Hub - September 19th, 2019
- Study indicates early infusion of mononuclear cells could aid in recovery from stroke - Yahoo Finance - September 19th, 2019
- BIOLIFE4D Successfully 3D Bioprints a Miniature Human HeartOne Step Closer to Bioprinting Transplantable Organs - BioSpace - September 19th, 2019
- Japanese lab to collaborate with Christian Dior in iPS cell research - Japan Today - September 19th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Research Report 2019 From TBRC has Been Updated - Market Research Gazette - September 19th, 2019
- What are Induced Pluripotent Stem (IPS) Cells? - Stem Cell ... - June 5th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell - ScienceDirect - June 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Glossary A Closer Look at Stem Cells - June 2nd, 2019
- Stemming retinal regeneration with pluripotent stem cells ... - May 27th, 2019
- Current Strategies and Challenges for Purification of ... - May 27th, 2019
- IPSCjun19 Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: differentiation ... - May 24th, 2019
- Induced pluripotent stem cells don't increase genetic ... - April 30th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - Embryo Project - April 25th, 2019
- What Are Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells? - Stem Cell: The ... - April 13th, 2019
- Gene therapy-corrected autologous hepatocyte-like cells ... - April 3rd, 2019
- Regenerative Potential Of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells ... - March 28th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) Media and Reagents for ... - March 21st, 2019
- Embryonic or Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Markers: R&D Systems - March 11th, 2019
- Differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells into ... - March 8th, 2019
- Do You Know the 5 Types of Stem Cells? | BioInformant - March 4th, 2019
- Global transcriptome analysis of pig induced pluripotent ... - March 4th, 2019
- Hypoimmunogenic derivatives of induced pluripotent stem ... - February 20th, 2019
- microRNA-690 regulates induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs ... - February 17th, 2019
- Induced pluripotent stem cells have been generated for the ... - February 17th, 2019
- Induction of Human Embryonic and Induced Pluripotent Stem ... - February 17th, 2019
- Pluripotent stem cells for improved reprogrammed Human ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Is Expected to Reach US ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Pluripotent Stem Cell Flow Kit (FMC001): R&D Systems - February 3rd, 2019
- induced pluripotent stem cell | The Science of Parkinson's - February 3rd, 2019
- What Are Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells? | Intro to the ... - January 26th, 2019
- Pluripotent Stem Cells - Stemcell Technologies - December 30th, 2018
- ATCC-HYR0103 Human Induced Pluripotent Stem (IPS) Cells ATCC ... - December 30th, 2018
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Report Research ... - December 30th, 2018
- Methods of Producing Thymic Emigrants from Induced ... - December 24th, 2018
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis (2018 ... - December 24th, 2018
- Human being induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) display ... - December 24th, 2018