Results of a clinical trial published today in STEM CELLS are the first to document the safety and feasibility of the early administration of bone marrow cells to treat acute ischemic stroke patients.
DURHAM, N.C., Sept. 17, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ --Results of a clinical trial published today in STEM CELLS are the first to document the safety and feasibility of the early administration of bone marrow cells to treat acute ischemic stroke patients. The information provided by the study could aid in developing new cellular therapies for this most common form of stroke caused by a blocked artery which affects over 13 million people each year, according to the World Health Organization.
The study in STEM CELLS is a follow up to the initial report on the first 10 patients in the trial, published in the Annals of Neurology in 2011. The STEM CELLS paper represents the total group of 25 patients.
Sean Savitz, M.D., director of the Institute for Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease and professor of neurology at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston, was lead investigator on the study. "Having found no clear evidence of harm to the initial 10 patients," he said, "we broadened the inclusion criteria and enrolled additional patients. Our choice of cell type bone marrow mononuclear cells (BM MNCs) dose (10 million cells/kg), timing; route of administration; and the autologous approach was based on, and is in line with, growing evidence from animal stroke models and clinical evidence for possible treatment effects in our traumatic brain injury studies and other diseases."
BM MNCs are attractive in regenerative medicine studies because they can be rapidly isolated; are enriched with hematopoietic, mesenchymal and endothelial progenitor cells; and permit autologous applications. Preclinical studies consistently indicate that MNCs improve outcome when administered within 72 hours of stroke onset and at least one clinical trial has shown they are not effective beyond seven days, the researchers said.
The regenerative potential of BM-derived MNCs is attributed to various mechanisms that impact stroke recovery. The cells migrate to the site of injury, release cytokines and other trophic factors, decrease proinflammatory and upregulate anti-inflammatory pathways, among other things. They also are easily amenable to autologous infusion, eliminating the need for immunosuppressive drugs.
"In contrast to the generation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells, another promising cell therapy," added Dr. Savitz, "MNCs do not require passage in culture, which allows for testing in the early post-stroke time window."
Each patient in the Savitz team's study received an intravenous dose of their own BM MNCs within 72 hours after onset of their stroke. They were then followed for one year after treatment and the results compared to a control group of 185 acute ischemic stroke patients who received conventional treatment only. No definite severe adverse events related to the procedures were seen in any of the 25 patients, the research showed.
"In the light of our findings," said Dr. Savitz, "we believe that MNCs pose no additional harm in ischemic stroke patients when given during the acute phase, doses up to 10 million cells/kg are tolerated and it is feasible to perform a BM harvest and re-infusion of MNCs for a wide range of stroke patients. Well-designed random clinical trials are needed to further assess safety and efficacy of this novel approach to enhance stroke recovery."
"New options to treat Ischemic stroke are desperately needed," said Dr. Jan Nolta, Editor-in-Chief of STEM CELLS. "This important clinical trial provides solid safety and feasibility data on which later trials can be built, using the patient's own bone marrow stem/progenitor cells to potentially enhance recovery after ischemic stroke."
The full article, "Intravenous Bone Marrow Mononuclear Cells for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Safety, Feasibility, and Effect Size from a Phase I Clinical Trial," can be accessed at https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/stem.3080.
About the Journal: STEM CELLS, a peer reviewed journal published monthly, provides a forum for prompt publication of original investigative papers and concise reviews. The journal covers all aspects of stem cells: embryonic stem cells/induced pluripotent stem cells; tissue-specific stem cells; cancer stem cells; the stem cell niche; stem cell epigenetics, genomics and proteomics; and translational and clinical research. STEM CELLS is co-published by AlphaMed Press and Wiley.
About AlphaMed Press: Established in 1983, AlphaMed Press with offices in Durham, NC, San Francisco, CA, and Belfast, Northern Ireland, publishes three internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals with globally recognized editorial boards dedicated to advancing knowledge and education in their focused disciplines. STEM CELLS (http://www.StemCells.com) is the world's first journal devoted to this fast paced field of research. THE ONCOLOGIST (http://www.TheOncologist.com) is devoted to community and hospital-based oncologists and physicians entrusted with cancer patient care. STEM CELLS TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE (http://www.StemCellsTM.com) is dedicated to significantly advancing the clinical utilization of stem cell molecular and cellular biology. By bridging stem cell research and clinical trials, SCTM will help move applications of these critical investigations closer to accepted best practices.
About Wiley: Wiley, a global company, helps people and organizations develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. Our online scientific, technical, medical and scholarly journals, combined with our digital learning, assessment and certification solutions, help universities, learned societies, businesses, governments and individuals increase the academic and professional impact of their work. For more than 200 years, we have delivered consistent performance to our stakeholders. The company's website can be accessed at http://www.wiley.com.
- AgeX Therapeutics and Lineage Cell Therapeutics Announce Issuance of U.S. Patent for Method of Generating Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - Yahoo... - December 11th, 2019
- Patent Granted To Lineage & AgeX - Anti Aging News - December 11th, 2019
- Charles River Announces Strategic Partnership with Bit Bio, Increasing Portfolio of Translational Drug Discovery Technologies - BioSpace - December 11th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics Presents its First Off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Cancer Immunotherapy Program at ASH Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - December 11th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics Announces New Preclinical Data for FT596 Off-the-Shelf, iPSC-derived CAR NK Cell Cancer Immunotherapy - Benzinga - December 8th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Assessed To Tell Apart High Growth By Implies In 2018 to 2026 - Wolf Mirror - December 5th, 2019
- Kyoto University Seeking To Use Stem Cells On Knee Treatment - Anti Aging News - December 5th, 2019
- Story of a 15-year old scientist: How it all began - EuroScientist - December 5th, 2019
- Stemonix, Atomwise Team Up on Drug Discovery With MicroOrgans and AI - Xconomy - December 5th, 2019
- Channel in Nerve Cell May be Key in Unlocking Parkinson Disease Therapy - Pharmacy Times - December 3rd, 2019
- First-in-kind Human 3-dimensional Models of Parkinson's Disease and Progressive Multiple Sclerosis Launching to the International Space Station -... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cells Market 2019 Global Growth Analysis and Forecast Report by 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 26th, 2019
- UK animal experiment statistics indicate reluctance to embrace modern tools to advance British labs into the 21st century - Labmate Online - November 10th, 2019
- Human heart cells change during spaceflight, say scientists in study that could have far-reaching effects on c - MEAWW - November 7th, 2019
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Dropped as Much as 19.9% Today - Motley Fool - November 7th, 2019
- Space travel may change the human heart - Inverse - November 7th, 2019
- Allogene Therapeutics and Notch Therapeutics Announce Collaboration to Research and Develop Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC)-Derived Allogeneic... - November 5th, 2019
- Goldfinch Bio to Present Oral and Poster Presentations at the American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week 2019 Annual Meeting - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- MD Anderson and Takeda Team Up on Next-Generation Immuno-Oncology Therapeutics - BioSpace - November 5th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market is expected to witness a strong CAGR of 7.0% from 2018 to 2026 - Zebvo - November 2nd, 2019
- Can organoids, derived from stem cells, be used in disease treatments? - The Hindu - October 26th, 2019
- University team to seek approval for iPS-based heart treatment trial - The Japan Times - October 26th, 2019
- Global Gemcitabine Hydrochloride Market: Segmented By Application And Geography Trends, Growth And Forecasts To 2024 - Health News Office - October 26th, 2019
- Global consortium formed to combat unproven cell banking services - Drug Target Review - October 22nd, 2019
- Bloomberg Philanthropies, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and The New York Stem Cell Foundation Research Institute Announce an... - October 22nd, 2019
- ISCT forms cell and gene therapy sector-wide coalition to combat the rise of unproven commercial cell banking services - PharmiWeb.com - October 21st, 2019
- Mutations Linked to Huntington's Increase Cells' Resistance to Manganese, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 15th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market : Insights Into the Competitive Scenario of the Market - Online News Guru - October 11th, 2019
- 'Rewind Therapeutics' and Remyelination - SciTech Europa - October 11th, 2019
- Cell Expansion Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2016 2024 - Space Market Research - October 9th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2019 Innovative Trends and Insights Research upto 2024 - News Adopt - October 5th, 2019
- New Rett Therapies May Stem From X-chromosome Reactivation Findings - Rett Syndrome News - October 5th, 2019
- Stemming the Tide of Alzheimer's - UCI News - October 5th, 2019
- Skin-Derived Heart Cells Help Uncover the Genetic Foundations of Cardiac Function - Technology Networks - October 5th, 2019
- IGIB finds a protein with better precision in gene-editing - The Hindu - October 5th, 2019
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Market: Focus on Acoustophoresis, Buoyancy-activated, Dielectrophoresis, Magnetophoretics, Microfluidics,... - October 5th, 2019
- Fabry Heart Cells Grown in Lab Dish Give Hints to Cardiac Complications - Fabry Disease News - September 27th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 Analysis & Forecast Report 2024 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Gene regulators work together for oversized impact on schizophrenia risk - National Institutes of Health - September 24th, 2019
- Blood Pressure and Prostate Treatment May Prevent or Slow Parkinson's, Early Study Suggests - Parkinson's News Today - September 24th, 2019
- New Gene Editing Technique Shown to Correct COL7A1 Gene in RDEB Cells - Epidermolysis Bullosa News - September 24th, 2019
- Vaginitis Therapeutics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive lands - News By ReportsGO - September 24th, 2019
- Efavirenz/Tenofovir/Emtricitabine Combination Drug Market Overview with Detailed - News by Intelligence Journal - September 24th, 2019
- Can Consciousness be Created? - University Observer Online - September 24th, 2019
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2019 Industry Growth with CAGR 12.7% in Forecast to 2024 - Indian Columnist - September 21st, 2019
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cells Market Size Set for Rapid Growth and Trend by2018 2028 - My Health Reporter - September 21st, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization - Analytics News - September 20th, 2019
- 2024 Projections: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Report by Type, Application and Regional Outlook - TheSlapClap - September 20th, 2019
- Angelman Foundation Honors 4 for Their Research, Advocacy Efforts - Angelman Syndrome News - September 20th, 2019
- Dicerna And DCR-A1AT In Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency-Associated Liver Disease - Seeking Alpha - September 20th, 2019
- Fate Therapeutics raises $173 million in offering - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 19th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market is expected to reach US$ 2299.5 Mn by the end of the forecast period in 2026 - Zebvo - September 19th, 2019
- induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) market reached $2.1 billion in 2016 The market should reach $3.6 billion in 2021 - ScoopJunction - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Common Prostate Drug May Slow Progression of Parkinson, Researchers Say - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 19th, 2019
- Automated Large-Scale Production of Retinal Organoids - Advanced Science News - September 19th, 2019
- How a Centuries-Old Sculpting Method Is Helping 3D Print Organs With Blood Vessels - Singularity Hub - September 19th, 2019
- BIOLIFE4D Successfully 3D Bioprints a Miniature Human HeartOne Step Closer to Bioprinting Transplantable Organs - BioSpace - September 19th, 2019
- Scientists recognize genes as master regulators in schizophrenia - Tech Explorist - September 19th, 2019
- Japanese lab to collaborate with Christian Dior in iPS cell research - Japan Today - September 19th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Research Report 2019 From TBRC has Been Updated - Market Research Gazette - September 19th, 2019
- What are Induced Pluripotent Stem (IPS) Cells? - Stem Cell ... - June 5th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell - ScienceDirect - June 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Glossary A Closer Look at Stem Cells - June 2nd, 2019
- Stemming retinal regeneration with pluripotent stem cells ... - May 27th, 2019
- Current Strategies and Challenges for Purification of ... - May 27th, 2019
- IPSCjun19 Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: differentiation ... - May 24th, 2019
- Induced pluripotent stem cells don't increase genetic ... - April 30th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - Embryo Project - April 25th, 2019
- What Are Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells? - Stem Cell: The ... - April 13th, 2019
- Gene therapy-corrected autologous hepatocyte-like cells ... - April 3rd, 2019
- Regenerative Potential Of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells ... - March 28th, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) Media and Reagents for ... - March 21st, 2019
- Embryonic or Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Markers: R&D Systems - March 11th, 2019
- Differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells into ... - March 8th, 2019
- Do You Know the 5 Types of Stem Cells? | BioInformant - March 4th, 2019
- Global transcriptome analysis of pig induced pluripotent ... - March 4th, 2019
- Hypoimmunogenic derivatives of induced pluripotent stem ... - February 20th, 2019
- microRNA-690 regulates induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs ... - February 17th, 2019
- Induced pluripotent stem cells have been generated for the ... - February 17th, 2019