Results of a clinical trial published today in STEM CELLS are the first to document the safety and feasibility of the early administration of bone marrow cells to treat acute ischemic stroke patients.
DURHAM, N.C., Sept. 17, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ --Results of a clinical trial published today in STEM CELLS are the first to document the safety and feasibility of the early administration of bone marrow cells to treat acute ischemic stroke patients. The information provided by the study could aid in developing new cellular therapies for this most common form of stroke caused by a blocked artery which affects over 13 million people each year, according to the World Health Organization.
The study in STEM CELLS is a follow up to the initial report on the first 10 patients in the trial, published in the Annals of Neurology in 2011. The STEM CELLS paper represents the total group of 25 patients.
Sean Savitz, M.D., director of the Institute for Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease and professor of neurology at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston, was lead investigator on the study. "Having found no clear evidence of harm to the initial 10 patients," he said, "we broadened the inclusion criteria and enrolled additional patients. Our choice of cell type bone marrow mononuclear cells (BM MNCs) dose (10 million cells/kg), timing; route of administration; and the autologous approach was based on, and is in line with, growing evidence from animal stroke models and clinical evidence for possible treatment effects in our traumatic brain injury studies and other diseases."
BM MNCs are attractive in regenerative medicine studies because they can be rapidly isolated; are enriched with hematopoietic, mesenchymal and endothelial progenitor cells; and permit autologous applications. Preclinical studies consistently indicate that MNCs improve outcome when administered within 72 hours of stroke onset and at least one clinical trial has shown they are not effective beyond seven days, the researchers said.
The regenerative potential of BM-derived MNCs is attributed to various mechanisms that impact stroke recovery. The cells migrate to the site of injury, release cytokines and other trophic factors, decrease proinflammatory and upregulate anti-inflammatory pathways, among other things. They also are easily amenable to autologous infusion, eliminating the need for immunosuppressive drugs.
"In contrast to the generation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells, another promising cell therapy," added Dr. Savitz, "MNCs do not require passage in culture, which allows for testing in the early post-stroke time window."
Each patient in the Savitz team's study received an intravenous dose of their own BM MNCs within 72 hours after onset of their stroke. They were then followed for one year after treatment and the results compared to a control group of 185 acute ischemic stroke patients who received conventional treatment only. No definite severe adverse events related to the procedures were seen in any of the 25 patients, the research showed.
"In the light of our findings," said Dr. Savitz, "we believe that MNCs pose no additional harm in ischemic stroke patients when given during the acute phase, doses up to 10 million cells/kg are tolerated and it is feasible to perform a BM harvest and re-infusion of MNCs for a wide range of stroke patients. Well-designed random clinical trials are needed to further assess safety and efficacy of this novel approach to enhance stroke recovery."
"New options to treat Ischemic stroke are desperately needed," said Dr. Jan Nolta, Editor-in-Chief of STEM CELLS. "This important clinical trial provides solid safety and feasibility data on which later trials can be built, using the patient's own bone marrow stem/progenitor cells to potentially enhance recovery after ischemic stroke."
The full article, "Intravenous Bone Marrow Mononuclear Cells for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Safety, Feasibility, and Effect Size from a Phase I Clinical Trial," can be accessed at https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/stem.3080.
About the Journal: STEM CELLS, a peer reviewed journal published monthly, provides a forum for prompt publication of original investigative papers and concise reviews. The journal covers all aspects of stem cells: embryonic stem cells/induced pluripotent stem cells; tissue-specific stem cells; cancer stem cells; the stem cell niche; stem cell epigenetics, genomics and proteomics; and translational and clinical research. STEM CELLS is co-published by AlphaMed Press and Wiley.
About AlphaMed Press: Established in 1983, AlphaMed Press with offices in Durham, NC, San Francisco, CA, and Belfast, Northern Ireland, publishes three internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals with globally recognized editorial boards dedicated to advancing knowledge and education in their focused disciplines. STEM CELLS (http://www.StemCells.com) is the world's first journal devoted to this fast paced field of research. THE ONCOLOGIST (http://www.TheOncologist.com) is devoted to community and hospital-based oncologists and physicians entrusted with cancer patient care. STEM CELLS TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE (http://www.StemCellsTM.com) is dedicated to significantly advancing the clinical utilization of stem cell molecular and cellular biology. By bridging stem cell research and clinical trials, SCTM will help move applications of these critical investigations closer to accepted best practices.
About Wiley: Wiley, a global company, helps people and organizations develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. Our online scientific, technical, medical and scholarly journals, combined with our digital learning, assessment and certification solutions, help universities, learned societies, businesses, governments and individuals increase the academic and professional impact of their work. For more than 200 years, we have delivered consistent performance to our stakeholders. The company's website can be accessed at http://www.wiley.com.
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- 2020-2024 Global Regenerative Medicine Market with Impact Analysis of COVID-19, Production, Revenue, Demand & Applications - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - Owned - June 29th, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 27th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020 Global Industry ... - June 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Share, Size, Trends 2020- Segments worth Observing Aiding Growth Factors | Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company.... - June 19th, 2020
- Janus-Faced PCL2? Alzheimer's Risk Protein Toggles TREM2 and TLR Pathways - Alzforum - June 13th, 2020
- Here's Why Fate Therapeutics Rose 18.4% in May - The Motley Fool - June 10th, 2020
- Evera, A Harvard Consumer Biotech Company, Brings Stem Cell Banking To You - Forbes - June 10th, 2020
- Nanion Technologies and Nexel Partner to Open a New Reference Demonstration Laboratory in South Korea - Labmate Online - June 10th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth Dynamics ... - June 7th, 2020
- Generation of self-organized sensory ganglion organoids and retinal ganglion cells from fibroblasts - Science Advances - May 30th, 2020
- Hesperos Human-on-a-Chip System Used to Model Preclinical Stages of Alzheimer's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment - Business Wire - May 30th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 30th, 2020
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 Lockdown Scenario - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Study: Heart Problems in SMA May Be Tied to Calcium Dysregulation - SMA News Today - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Garner USD 14745.7 Million by The End of 2024 By Recording a CAGR of 4.8% (Impact Analysis... - May 20th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Applications in 2020 - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2020: Growing Tends ... - May 16th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Parkinson's - MedPage Today - May 14th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- Novel CAR NK-cell technology could lead to new treatments for lupus, other incurable diseases - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- 2020 Insights on the Worldwide Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult links with Japan's CiRA Foundation - PharmaTimes - May 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - May 9th, 2020
- Mogrify strikes deal with US biopharma Sangamo Therapeutics - Cambridge Independent - April 28th, 2020
- How could Covid-19 and the body's immune response affect the brain? - MIT News - April 28th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- FDA Expediting Accelerated Development of Novel Therapies for COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- GLOBAL TOOTH REGENERATION MARKET: INDUSTRY ANALYSIS AND FORECAST (2020-2027) - MR Invasion - April 28th, 2020
- Insights on the Cell Expansion Industry in North America to 2027 - by Product, Cell Type, Application, End-user and Country - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2020
- Induced pluripotent stem cells and CRISPR reversed diabetes in mice - Drug Target Review - April 24th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 24th, 2020
- The integrated stress response: From mechanism to disease - Science Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 23rd, 2020
- Business News: Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 | BlueRock Therapeutics, Corning Life Sciences, EMD... - April 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Size, Market Status, Influencing Factors, Competition, Outlook & Forecasts to 2027 - Cole of Duty - April 23rd, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market 2019 analysis, size, top companies, share, strategies and forecast to 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - April 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapies Can Revolutionize Treatment, Automation Needed to Scale Production - ENGINEERING.com - April 15th, 2020
- Lung epithelium model being tested as a platform for COVID-19 research - Drug Target Review - April 11th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' IO Collaboration with Janssen Could Yield Company $3 Billion - Clinical OMICs News - April 11th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Key Players, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Industry Overview on Global Size, Share, Future Trends, Segmentation, Demands, and Top Players... - April 9th, 2020
- Evotec Makes Move into Gene Therapy with Takeda... - Labiotech.eu - April 9th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Research Pros And Cons ... - April 2nd, 2020
- Evotec Expands Its IPSC-Based Cell Therapy Platform Evocells Through Licensing Agreement with panCella - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Citius Signs Option With Novellus To License Novel Stem-Cell Therapy For ARDS - Nasdaq - April 2nd, 2020
- Anti-IL-6 Monoclonal Antibodies as Antiarrhythmic Treatment for HF - The Cardiology Advisor - April 2nd, 2020
- A New NK Cell-based Immunotherapy For Cancer Treatment - Health News Today - March 24th, 2020
- Coriell Institute for Medical Research Awarded $8.6 Million Biobanking Contract from National Institute on Aging - Newswise - March 18th, 2020
- Stem cells to help the heart - Science Magazine - March 12th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 202 - ITResearchBrief.com - March 12th, 2020
- SpaceX Dragon cargo ship, the last to be caught by robot arm, arrives at space station - Space.com - March 11th, 2020
- Notice of Capital and Business Alliance between Heartseed and MEDIPAL HOLDINGS | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - March 11th, 2020
- NanoSurface Bio Executes Exclusive License of Heart-on-Chip Technology Launched Into Space - Business Wire - March 9th, 2020
- Eye health: Testing the safety of stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration - Open Access Government - March 9th, 2020
- Despite Pro-Life Claims, Stem Cell Therapy Has Very Real Benefits and Should Be Accessible - Patheos - March 6th, 2020
- Little Tissue, Big Mission: Beating Heart Tissues to Ride Aboard The ISS - Newswise - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX set to launch Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule from Cape Canaveral this week - Florida Today - March 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Targeting March 6 for Launch of its 20th Resupply Mission to International Space Station | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - February 29th, 2020
- The European Bank of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Five Years of Progress - Technology Networks - February 28th, 2020
- New study identifies trigger that turns dormant cancer stem cells into active ones - PR Web - February 26th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market in 2020: Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth & Development, Trends, Insights and Forecast until... - February 25th, 2020
- Improving shoes, showers, 3D printing: research launching to the Space Station - Space Daily - February 21st, 2020
- Argentinian cultured meat supplier on its 'all-in-one' cell line: 'We offer cells that can grow fast and reduce costs' - FoodNavigator-Latam - February 20th, 2020
- Building a 'doomsday vault' to save the kangaroo and koala from extinction - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Surge in the Adoption of Stem Cell-Derived Cells to Fuel the Growth of the Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Through the Assessment Period 2019 2029 -... - February 17th, 2020
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market to Achieve more Profitability Ratio between 2020-2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 16th, 2020
- Cell-based meat in focus: In conversation with Meatable, Finless Foods, New Age Meats - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 11th, 2020
- Research could be step toward lab-grown eggs and sperm to treat... - ScienceBlog.com - February 10th, 2020
- First dual stem cell therapy jointly developed by City University of Hong Kong brings new hope for cardiac repair - QS WOW News - February 10th, 2020
- Chromatin accessibility analysis reveals regulatory dynamics of developing human retina and hiPSC-derived retinal organoids - Science Advances - February 10th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics to Collaborate with University of California, Irvine on Neural Stem Cell Research Program for Huntingtons Disease and Other... - February 4th, 2020
- 2020 Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Study: Global Markets, Technologies, Applications and Companies - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Can Parkinsons be prevented as it stealthily develops? - Big Think - February 2nd, 2020