Recent drug approvals in the acute myeloid leukemia (AML) space have allowed older patients with the disease to continue receiving less intensive therapies than their younger counterparts, while also providing them with improved outcomes.
Were almost at the holy grail where (we) have lower intensity therapy thats well tolerated, but that the response rates are higher, said Dr. Tapan Kadia, an associate professor in the department of leukemia at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, in an interview with CURE. Theyre not reaching (the 85% seen) with intensive chemotherapy, but (theyre) much better.
Kadia recently presented on the topic of treating older patients with AML during CUREs Educated Patient Leukemia Summit and highlighted how its vastly different than treating younger, and more fit patients.
He explained how the incidence of AML increases as a person gets older and that 60% of people who receive a diagnosis are aged older than 60 years.
Because more than half of the patient population with AML is aged older than 60 years, Kadia stressed that treatment approaches should be individualized for each patient. And, he said, factors such as their comorbidities, age, ability to tolerate chemotherapy and whether they could be candidate for a stem cell or bone marrow transplant in the future should play a role in selecting which treatment option they receive.
The major point to get across (is) to characterize a leukemia and to provide a therapy thats best for that patient long term, he said.
Although younger patients with the disease tend to receive more intensive chemotherapy regimens, it is tougher to administer those same regimens to older patients because it can wipe out their blood cell counts and it is difficult to deliver in a safe way, Kadia explained. In addition, older patients are more likely to have comorbidities such as heart disease, diabetes or COPD, which must also be managed in an intensive chemotherapy setting.
In years past, the lower intensity therapies were more tolerable, but they were not associated with great response rates. However, with the recent Food and Drug Administration approval of Venclexta (venetoclax), overall response rates increased to 65% and complete remission rates now are in the range of 35% to 40% when combined with drugs such as decitabine or azacitidine), Kadia explained. He said that these regimens are associated with very, very good outcomes with a median survival of 14.5 months, and the older patients tolerate it better.
Typically, patients who have AML and are in remission undergo a stem cell transplant or bone barrow transplant. However, for an older patient, a transplant is too risky. Regardless, Kadia noted that their remission should be maintained. Maintenance therapy is then used in this population to keep their disease in remission. Maintenance therapy usually consists of low-intensity, long-term treatment that can maintain the diseases response and help prevent the leukemia from returning.
What most people need to realize is that most subsets of AML are incurable, he said. That means (the disease) will typically try to come back if not treated aggressively and long term. And so this maintenance therapy allows people to maintain remission once they have achieved it.
We have really had a revolution in the treatment of AML, where previously we only had two or three drugs to treat AML and many people got intensive chemotherapy, Kadia concluded. We are fortunate now to live in an era where we have nine new drugs approved just in the last five years.
For more news on cancer updates, research and education, dont forget tosubscribe to CUREs newsletters here.
Read the rest here:
Treatment of AML in Older Patients Almost At 'The Holy Grail' - Curetoday.com
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Harvard's R&D alliance with Resilience to advance manufacture of complex medicines - Harvard Gazette - October 16th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Kahl on the Potential Utility of Frontline CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at the European Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Congress - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Taking aim at the brain, Takeda strikes up cell therapy R&D alliance with Immusoft - MedCity News - October 16th, 2021
- Dr. Erba on the Evolution of Treatment in MCL - OncLive - October 16th, 2021
- Newer Agents for DLBCL Show Potential for Earlier Use in the Course of Treatment - Targeted Oncology - October 16th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- International ZIM Network: SmartMed - Regenerative Solutions for the Therapies of Tomorrow - Business Wire - October 16th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 16th, 2021
- FTC Follows Through On Prioritizing Investigations Into False Advertising In Healthcare Markets - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States -... - October 16th, 2021
- Molecular Atlas of Small Cell Lung Cancer Reveals Unusual Cell Type That Could Explain Why Its So Aggressive - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - October 16th, 2021
- Actress Jennifer Garner Visits with 7-Year-Old Girl Fighting B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; What is the Treatment for This Disease? -... - October 16th, 2021
- Four-year-old girl with stage four cancer trying to get to America for clinical trial - Lancashire Telegraph - October 16th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 5th, 2021
- Chennai-based institute to begin clinical trial on stem cell therapy for liver disease - The New Indian Express - October 5th, 2021
- "Stem cell-based therapeutics poised to become mainstream option - BSA bureau - October 5th, 2021
- Anja Health Disrupts Cord Blood Banking with Heartfelt Founding Story and Ground-Breaking Mission - Digital Journal - October 5th, 2021
- Longeveron Successfully Advancing its Cell-Based Therapy Studies in a Growing Industry Segment - Yahoo Finance - October 5th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Transforming Growth Factor Sales Gaining Traction & to reach US$ 709.9 Mn with Significant Development in Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WITN - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- Indianapolis mother gives 13-year-old son with sickle cell disease a 2nd chance at life - WTHR - October 5th, 2021
- US FDA Approves Kite's Tecartus as the First and Only Car T for Adults With Relapsed or Refractory B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia | DNA RNA and... - October 5th, 2021
- Lack of awareness about blood stem cell donation is one of the leading causes for low number of donors in In.. - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2021
- 'Survivor' winner Ethan Zohn opens up about his cancer battle: I was a healthy, young guy. You never expect it to be you. - Yahoo Life - October 5th, 2021
- The Best Skincare Treatments For Time-Crunched Moms (Or Anyone Else Who Only Has Five Minutes To Spare) - Forbes - October 5th, 2021
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021
- BeiGene and EUSA Pharma Announce China NMPA Approval of QARZIBA (Dinutuximab Beta) for Patients With High-Risk Neuroblastoma - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Study Calls for COVID-19 Vaccination in Patients With Cancer to Enable Optimal Treatment Delivery During Pandemic - OncLive - August 18th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Identify Key Drivers, Trends, Latest Innovations, Business Senario, Demand With Outlook by 2026 - The Market Writeuo -... - August 18th, 2021
- 8 Tips for Coping With a Diagnosis of PPMS - Everyday Health - August 18th, 2021
- More positive results from CRISPR trial for sickle cell and thalassaemia - BioNews - August 18th, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021